Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Prayer   » Prayer Request   » Our Faith in God is failing us

Author Topic: Our Faith in God is failing us
Mairy
Advanced Member
Member # 1830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mairy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine you are tired of people telling you they know how you feel, but there are so many of us. You are not too old that God cannot take care of your senior years. (You are one month younger than me) I, too, have lost all, but, the journey through the vallley is worth the view you SHALL see from the mountaintop. You already have something, you have a husband that loves you. So many are alone in their pain. In four years I lost husband, home, all finances, have been through my daughter's mental illness and I say from intimate experience with God that He is able to bring you through. I have not yet reached the mountaintop, but pray and see what lessons God wants to show you while you are in the valley. He will NOT forsake you. He cannot, He has said He cannot, and He is not a man that He could lie. It is alright to feel discouraged and hurt, there is that dark night of the soul. I have seen hundreds in four years, but by His grace alone I still stand. And so will you, because He loves you just as much. I do not diminish your pain, I know how real it is. I will pray for you sister, and your husband will get through this together because God will never forsake you. Blessings to you my sister.
Posts: 52 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cricket
Advanced Member
Member # 2960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cricket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma, please do not lose hope and faith in God. We are all praying for you and your husband. However, remember, the feelings you are having now is devil trying to turn your focus away from God. DON'T let him win. Have faith in GOD and trust and he will come through for you.

--------------------
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
---Vincent Van Gogh

Posts: 56 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 18 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your prayers. Hubby still has his doubts as to if God actually anserws prayers. He is going to Church again. He sees God as a taskmaster and we had better behave ourselves are we won't go to Heaven. But, he doesn't believe that God answers prayers. I do. Of course I was raised in a Christian home and he wasn't.

Thank you for your encouragement and your prayers.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RisamyRisa
Advanced Member
Member # 1854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RisamyRisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody's sick of your whining, that's what we're here for! I see that this thread hasn't been updated in awhile, I hope that you'll be back to tell us more of whats going on soon!

I will continue to pray for you. I wish I had something more helpful to say [Roll Eyes] I will pray especially for your husband. My future husband is a new Christian and we've gone through some really bad stuff lately and he's holding up! I will pray for your husband to find that same strength and keep his faith, even in times of doubt. And you too! I can't wait to hear from you again!

--------------------
Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin.. God picks you from the patch and washes the dirt off. He cuts out the top and removes the yucky stuff, and then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light in you to shine for all the world to see!

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bro. Greg
Advanced Member
Member # 2943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bro. Greg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma,

I can honestly say that I have read the posts in this thread with tears in my eyes. I can honestly tell you that the Lord has not forsaken you nor your husband. He said He would NEVER forsake you! Will you please do me a favor? Please read the Book of Job with your husband. I pray you will see that loosing ALL is not the end and that GOD is NOT angry with you and punishing you as you think! I tell you this in the Spirit of Him who bore the Cross for us! Job lost more than money in his calamity. Was that God's punishment? NO. It was a test! Satan started the whole mess Job suffered because he wanted God's servent Job. Satan said, "If Job lost everything then he would turn his back on you God". But as the story unfolds we see that in the end Job gained 100 fold what he had lost.

As for Grandpa, you have not failed your wife at all. She loves you in spite of the loss you both suffered due to the market. As helpforhomeschoolers said, the market is a "Gamble" and most often people lose there money there. The market is in a sense a business out to make money and the money it makes is the money you and I invest into it. Please read the Book of Job with your wife. As you read of Jobs losses please apply them to your lives and see what Job gained in the end. Put your faith in HIM and HIM alone and you will gain more wealth than you can ever imagine. It might not be in your wallet and it might well be but just remember this, Jesus said:

quote:
25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? 26Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? 27Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? 28And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Please, "Consider the Lilies" and trust the Lord!

Grandma, Grandpa, please know this...just because your faith is weakened and you feel you have lost faith doesn't mean the Lord has forsaken you and you are lost. Consider Peter, it was by faith he stepped out of the boat and STOOD on water but began to sink. You may be sinking now as Peter did but I say to you, Reach unto the Lord and HE is faithful and will lift you up! I pray Father, in the precious name of Jesus, lift Grandma and Grandpa up! AMEN

--------------------
Isaiah 5:20(KJV) 20Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Bro. Greg
In and By His Grace
http://www.mychristiansite.com/ministries/pass_it_on

Posts: 527 | From: Montana, USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty, dear sister,

You sound like you're in shock. I think we all would be if we were in your shoes. That's OK, it's normal. Realize that you're in shock and stunned, and your mind is maybe not as clear as usual. That's the way I am when I suffer a loss.

You wrote:
quote:
if we are suppose to give God praise when He blesses us what are we suppose to feel and do when he allows us to be cut down to our knees. I know we are in a position to pray but all my prayers have been more like "Why God" and so far He is not answering. I know I come off as a whinning baby. But we are too old to start over
You know what they say, Betty. When bad things happen, praise the Lord anyway. Praise Him FOR the bad thing that happened, for He is able to turn it into a very good thing for you. I know it's a hard thing to comprehend, especially when it happens to you!

I know personally what you mean when you say you are too old to start over. I am there, too.

Rest assured, dear lady, there are many of your friends here praying for you, with our figurative arms around you, lifting you up to the Throne. The Lord is not deaf. He is not uncaring. The tiniest little sparrow doesn't even hop without His knowing. Put all your trust in Him. Cast your cares on Him, for He cares for you. He allowed this bad thing to happen to you so He could make something good come out of it. You are in a special position right now! Anticipate what a marvelous work He is going to do in your life!

There's a song that says:
quote:
He didn't bring us this far to leave us.
He didn't teach us to swim to let us drown.
He didn't build His home in us to move away.
He didn't lift us up to let us down.

Take heart, sister! I believe, with all my heart, that God is going to do something very special in your life with this bad thing that has happened. He's going to make the sun shine again, and the flowers bloom again, and your cup will be full again.

Your brother in Christ,
Gary

--------------------
"For the wages of sin is death,
but the free gift of God is eternal life
in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:23 NASB

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 20 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your prayers. Today, I am going back in forth in my mind. For awhile, I will try to figure out why God is punishing me. What I could have done to make him mad. I am not saying I am perfect. But, even though we are on a fixed income, have no health insurance, and are living in goverement housing we pay our tithes reguarly. So, I honestly don't know why He is mad at me.

Then I start thinking how as Christians we are taught to thank God and bless Him when things are going good. A few weeks ago, my hubby told the Pastor that God had been blessing us and we were thankful that God was providing for us a way to get a house of our own in the future. Now we see our future and in taters and we wonder if we are suppose to give God praise when He blesses us what are we suppose to feel and do when he allows us to be cut down to our knees. I know we are in a position to pray but all my prayers have been more like "Why God" and so far He is not answering. I know I come off as a whinning baby. But we are too old to start over and I just don't know what to do. Moving 2,000 miles and starting over 5 months ago was enough for me. Now we have lost our dreams for the future, too. Please forgive me, if you are fustrated with me. I can't talk to my husband because he says God doesn't hear his prayers anyway. So, the more depressed I get if I try to seek spiritual help from him. He is a new Christian, so I feel I have to be strong for him but, the truth is my strength has been sapped out of me. [Confused]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultimate
Community Member
Member # 2989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lord, I pray for Betty and her husband to stay on the same path of faith with you Lord. In Jesus name, Amen. [Smile]

--------------------
Mark 11:24 " Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when we pray, believe that ye recieve them, and ye shall have them."

Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{{{{{{Betty}}}}}}

Remember the Lord says, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." You know in the Greek that's like a triple negative, "I will never, no never, not ever leave you nor forsake you." He is always with you, no matter what you are going through.

Isaiah gives us the Word of the Lord like this in chapter 43:
"When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD , your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;"

I have been led to these verses many times myself when times were rough.

If your husband is a new believer he needs to be reminded of this, too. If you belong to Him there's nothing in all of creation that can ever separate you from Him. Your husband needs to realize that just because we put our faith in the Lord Jesus doesn't mean everything is going to be hunky-dorey. We're still going to have problems in our lives. We're still going to be tested. But if we never had any of these problems, how would we know what He can do? How would we know how great is His salvation for us, how much He cares for us?

Take courage, sister. Things will get better. You are always in His hands, and never out of His mind. His eyes are always on you.

In Christ,
Gary

--------------------

Posts: 436 | From: Mankato, Minnesota | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you. Right now, I am more worried about hubby than myself. He is so new to the faith. thank you for taking the time to talk with me.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He hasnt failed you because you two have not failed!!! Things just look a little different than you thought thet they would. The only failure that comes comes when we let the enemy who has knocked us down, keep us down or cause us to curse God or when we fail to turn to God and continue to do things our way.

You lost some money... perhaps a lot of money and even more painfully security. But what is money. We cant take it with us. You have each other, you have life, you have love, you have God.

You got up this morning with a roof over your head and food in your pantry and a car in the drive and your minds are clear, your lungs and heart working on their own accord.

I dont mean to sound trite, but I have learned that the best thing to do in situations like this is to take your eyes off your self and off your problem and look for something you can do to be a blessing to someone else.

No amount of stewing and worry is going to change what happened in the market. You just have to get up and move on with what you have. If you cant change it, you shouldnt waste your time or your mind on worrying about it.

Finding something to do for someone else will put your minds back in the right place, on HIM and also on the right heart about what you do have.

Do you have .37? Can you write a not to someone today in prison or a nursing home that will brighten their day? Then you have enough to bless someone else. Can you pick up the phone and call someone who doesnt even have what you have (a spouse and companionship) and brighten their day? Do you have enough food in your home to share? Invite your pastor and his wife to dinner and talk about what God has done to bless you inspite of your losses.

I know you dont feel like any of this; but do it anyway. Take your eyes off you and what you have lost. That is the devil's work. Put your eyes on HIM and what you do have and ask HIM what he wants you to do with it.

There are two things that i have learned in this walk that have changed forever my life...

1. The devil can drop a load of poop at our doorstep, but it is up to us how much we allow him to drag in the door and stink up our house with. We control (through the power of the Spirit of Christ within) how much damage we let the devil do and how long we let him stay with his smely mess.

2. Every time the devil steals, or kills, or destroys something in our lives, everytime he brings pain, or tragedy or hurt, EVERYTIME... this is an opportunity for God to make something wonderful out of nothing. And EVERYTIME GOD DOES, if we will only open our hearts and ask him what is here that he wants us to get or understand or see and ask him how he wants to use this in us and then open our eyes and see what God has done. Everytime we are knocked down, GOd is there to pick us up. Everytime we suffer, God uses it to bless us and then to allow us to bless others, to prepare us for HIS work in the world around us.

We are not here for our pleasure; we are here for HIS, He has a purpose and a call on eachof our lives. For each of us there is something that God wants us to do that serves his purpose, and that is our only purpose for getting up in the mornings. God does give good things and we should be thankful for all we have as we have it because he gives it; but he give it for his purpose. What ever your loss in this you need to know that you are still able to do God's purpose, even now. He gives us what we need for the task. He gives enough for us and and enough to bless others. You may not have what you had, but you still have what you need if you seek HIS purpose and will, and if there is something you will need that you dont have, he will bring it into your life. He doesnt expect you to have to do his will without the right equipment. He will give you what you need when you need it.

I am sorry, I fear I am rambling. Know that you are both in our prayers. Know that God has not left or forsaken you and he will not. Even if the devil causes you to turn your back; God waits for your return just as the father waited for the prodigal son. Stop looking at what you've lost and start looking with thanksgiving at what you have, and ask HIM what you are to do with it. Take your eyes off you and your problem, and put them on him. Look for the good he is going to work in this and go out and bless someone else even though you dont feel like it. God will bless you in return.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gary
Advanced Member
Member # 523

Betty, I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.

It's not easy. Turn to the Lord in your loss. He knows how you both are feeling.

Gary

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I let my husband read all this to see if he would be encouraged. But he is not. As a man he feels he has failed me. I am trying to encourage him but it is hard to lift someone else up when you are lower than an ant's belly. Just please pray that he will not lose his faith in God. I appreciate both of your kind words. We need your prayers if we are going to survive this. thank you

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty:

Betty what I am going to say to you is not a big warm fuzzy hug; You may need one of those too, but if so someone else will bring that.

Please know that I have been where you are and worse. I also moved 2500 miles across the country into the unkown west 13 years ago and I was surprised at housing costs. What I paid for a 3br bath house in a nice subdivision in florida wouldnt have bought me a shack I didnt want to live in here in South Dakota and the property taxes were more than double here than there. I have experienced the loss of everythng including home, business, pride and more and I tell you this because I want you to know that when I say these things to you that I am led to say, I dont say them with some polly anna pie in the sky vision of reality. My children have been amazed by the meal I can make by throwing a bunch of scraps together that are left in the cupboard.

Having said that, here is what I know. God has not forsaken you. He has not now and he never will. But Betty, is your faith in God or the stock market?

Sister... one grammy to another, it had better be in God, and that may be what this is about. You might need to know where your faith lies. You see it doesnt take a lot of faith to walk in his praise when we are being blessed. Faith becomes known when things dont look so good around us and HE remains our hope, our joy, our peace. Faith is the evidence of things NOT SEEN.

If God led you Washington, God will provide for you in washington. But he will do this HIS way not yours.

The stock market is great, but when you place your money in the stock market you have to be willing to lose what you put in. The stock market is a gamble. You should never place your TRUST in the stock market.

Your trust has to be in him alone. And what you trust him for has to be that his will will be done and for those of us who are his and called according to HIS PURPOSE. He will work ALL things for good. Even when it doesnt look like it in the world.

Right now you are feeling that God has cursed you, but that is not so. Perhaps you would be better ask what wonderful things God has for you in this seemingly cursed predicament that you find yourself in.

Our human nature leads us to seek security in things... a house that is paid for, a savings account, a freezer full of food, our bills paid on time and without struggle, a car that is fairly new and starts every time, lights that flip on with the touch of a finger and water that runs hot from the tap, a job that is steady and provides a regular and sufficient income for our needs and our desires. These are basic things, some find security in more extravagant things, but the basics really get at the heart of this issue here. When any of these things are challenges we by HUMAN nature feel insecure.

But Jesus said leave your nets and leave your families and follow me.

The ONLY security in that is HIM. For the apostles leaving their nets meant leaving knowing where their next meal was coming from. I sometimes think we gloss over that. Is your fatih in jobs? God gives jobs - God takes jobs. Is your faith in cars or homes or bank accounts? All is his and he can give and he can take away. Our faith must be in HIM alone. Faith is not faith unless we step out of our security zone. Peter had to get out of the boat to walk on the water with Jesus.

God just took your boat sister, now walk toward HIM in faith, and do not walk away. He has not forsaken you. Dont forsake him.

May God bless you and keep you and may you find strength and peace and Joy in HIM alone.
Linda

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 20 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you. Please pray that my husband will not lose his faith in God. If this were to happen, I think I would fall out compeletly. For one thing I do not drive (health reasons) so I would not be able to go to Church anymore if he stopped but more important if he gave up on God he would lose his salvation. I am so afraid of that.
The first thing that popped in my head was the devil telling me about every other instance in my life when ever I gave a praise for something God had given me, how it was taken away. In the past I have been afraid to praise God for things in my life for this very reason. Because there has been a pattern in my life when ever I would praise God for anything in my life it would be taken from me. Thanks again for your prayers because I am really hanging on by a thread.

--------------------

bandb5
Community Member
Member # 2981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bandb5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grandma-

(Wow, its been so long since I have been able to start a letter like that)

Please don't lose faith. Sometimes in life, faith is all we have. God has a plan for all of us. There is a reason for this and only he knows it. Just like there is a reason for me going through what I am going through now. You will somedeay learn what that reason is, just like I will.

Just keep praying and all will be okay. Be thankful for what you do have...a loving husband, etc.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I just wanted you to know that there are people that care.

bandb

Posts: 8 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

I feel like God has kicked me in the gut. When we moved from Texas to Washington, we found to our surprise that the houses here were twice as much as in Texas. My husband put a portion of our money in the stock market hoping to make enough to be able to buy a house in the future. In the last couple of months we double the money we put in. My husband and I both were thankful to God for allowing this to happen. We felt God was blessing us. Then last night the bottom fell out of the market and we lost everything we gained plus half of what we put in. I had always been taught that if you pay your tithes and lived for God, that God would take care of you. Now, I feel betrayed. I am afraid my husband who is new to the Lord will quit paying his tithes and going to Church. Me, I am so upset that I do not even know what to say to him. Both of us prayed before we moved up here that would we not sell our house if it was not God’s will. So, now I wonder why God forsaken us.
We are on a fixed income both being handicapped and this money was our future to a home of our own. Now we have less than we started with. I feel as if my own faith is hanging by a thread.
[crying]

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement