Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Melchizedek

Author Topic: Melchizedek
Sa:ji:sdo:de
Advanced Member
Member # 13749

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Sa:ji:sdo:de     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
The apostle Paul endured quite a bit of stress persuading Christ's believing followers that it's humanly impossible to obtain heaven by means of compliance with the Ten Commandments. He didn't succeed; not with all of them. Many refused to get in step even though he claimed to have received his information straight from the horse's mouth.

†. Gal 1:11-13 . . For I would have you know, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

However, though it's humanly impossible to obtain heaven by means of compliance with the Ten Commandments, it is essential to comply with them while in heaven in order to stay in heaven; not just the Ten only, but all of God's commandments. And one's compliance cannot be spotty, it has to be flawless.

So; what's the secret to this apparent Catch-22?

The secret is found in a promise that God made to His people back in the Old Testament.

†. Ezek 36:26-27 . . I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit into you: I will remove the heart of stone from your body and give you a tender heart; and I will put My spirit into you. Thus I will cause you to follow My laws and faithfully to observe My rules.

An "heart of flesh" would normally be regarded in modern Sunday school classes as a bad thing. Here in Ezekiel, flesh is juxtaposed with stone to indicate that God is talking about tenderness; which can be defined as gentleness, kindness, sensitivity, and deep affection; i.e. the warm, softer emotions.

A heart of stone is cold and dead, like those massive granite monoliths in Yosemite Valley. They feel not the slightest pity for climbers who lose their grip and fall. Nope, those big rocks just go on like nothing ever happened; silent, indifferent, unconcerned, non grieving, non compassionate, and unsympathetic; i.e. they feel nothing: nothing at all.

Bottom line: Seeing as how love is essential to proper compliance with the Ten Commandments; then the thoughtless, the callous, and the insensitive would be shut out of heaven forever and ever were it not for Ezek 36:26-27.

Watch as I deliberately paraphrase the following passages. Though the texts aren't verbatim quotes from the Bible; the message the paraphrases convey is spot-on.

"I assure you: unless hard-hearted people are born again, they can never see the Kingdom of God." (John 3:3)

"Don't be surprised at my statement that the uncivil must undergo regeneration by the hand of God." (John 3:7)

According to "my statement" regeneration isn't optional; it's a must.

NOTE: It's commonly complained that Ezek 36:26-27 produces robots. But people are already robotic due to their slavery to human nature.

†. Jer 13:23 . . Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard its spots? Neither can you do good who are accustomed to doing evil.

Writing about this situation; the apostle Paul said:

†. Eph 2:1-3 . .You were dead in your transgressions and sins in which you once lived following the age of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the desires of our flesh, following the wishes of the flesh and the impulses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like the rest.

I rather think most people would be much better off as slaves to divine nature rather than human nature.

FYI: Robots have artificial intelligence. People on track for heaven will have Christ's intelligence.

†. John 11:25 . . I am the resurrection, and the life

/

Posts: 1245 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sa:ji:sdo:de
Advanced Member
Member # 13749

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Sa:ji:sdo:de     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Melchizedek was God's high priest in Abraham's day. (Gen 14:18-20, Heb 5:10)

Mel's priesthood was active prior to Aaron's; i.e. prior to the covenant that Yhvh's people agreed upon with God as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy.

†. Deut 5:2-4 . .Yhvh our God made a covenant with us at Horeb. Yhvh did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, with all those of us alive here today.

This is a very, very important detail to note seeing as how the covenant's law wasn't set up to be enforced ex post facto; i.e. it isn't retroactive.

There's more.

†. Rom 4:15 . .The law produces wrath; but where there is no law, neither is there violation.

In other words: certain behaviors aren't illegal until a law is enacted to prohibit them; i.e. seeing as how God didn't prohibit dishonesty in Mel's jurisdiction, then whenever Abraham lied; God didn't write him up for it.

†. Rom 5:13b . . . Sin is not accounted when there is no law.

The koinι Greek word translated "accounted" is ellogeo (el-log-eh'-o) which essentially speaks of keeping a record; i.e. an indictment.

Equally important to note is that Christ's high priesthood isn't patterned after Aaron's; rather, after Melchizedek's (Ps 110:4, Heb 5:1-7:28). As a result: Christ's believing followers are in no danger of being written up for breaking the Ten Commandments; not one single curse listed in the Jews' covenant applies to Christ's believing followers-- not one. That's quite an advantage.

/

Posts: 1245 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bloodbought
Advanced Member
Member # 4365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bloodbought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoyed your post KnowHim.

The high priest was not to rend his clothes.

Leviticus 21:10 And he that is the high priest among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil was poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not uncover his head, nor rend his clothes;

After hearing Jesus the high priest rent his clothes.

Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.

When the high priest rent his clothes, his priesthood was finished.

Jesus coat was seamless and was not rent.

John 19:23 Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout.
24 They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.

Jesus priesthood is seamless. He is a priest forever.

When Jesus yielded up the ghost the veil in the Temple was rent in twain.

Matthew 27:50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

There was no further need for an earthly priesthood.

Jesus Christ is a continual high priest and represents believers before God.

He is a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek.

Posts: 822 | From: Ireland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hebrews 7:1-4 (NASB)
1 For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham as he was returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, 2 to whom also Abraham apportioned a tenth part of all the spoils, was first of all, by the translation of his name, king of righteousness, and then also king of Salem, which is king of peace. 3 Without father, without mother, without genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but made like the Son of God, he remains a priest perpetually. 4 Now observe how great this man was to whom Abraham, the patriarch, gave a tenth of the choicest spoils.

Hebrews 7:14-22 (NASB)
14 For it is evident that our Lord was descended from Judah, a tribe with reference to which Moses spoke nothing concerning priests. 15 And this is clearer still, if another priest arises according to the likeness of Melchizedek, 16 who has become such not on the basis of a law of physical requirement, but according to the power of an indestructible life. 17 For it is attested of Him,

"YOU ARE A PRIEST FOREVER ACCORDING TO THE ORDER OF MELCHIZEDEK."

18 For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness 19 (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God. 20 And inasmuch as it was not without an oath 21 (for they indeed became priests without an oath, but He with an oath through the One who said to Him,

"THE LORD HAS SWORN AND WILL NOT CHANGE HIS MIND, 'YOU ARE A PRIEST FOREVER'"); 22 so much the more also Jesus has become the guarantee of a better covenant.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abraham tithed 10% from the gains of battle.

Hebrews 7:4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.

Those in the Body of Christ,

1 Corinthians 16
1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

When asked why I don't tieth I replied , "Then I would be giving 110%" and then asked them. "Is that what you give?"

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knowHim
Admin
Member # 8

Icon 15 posted      Profile for knowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Listen to January 6th Daily Bible Reading

Read Jan 6th bible reading

I was more interested in who Melchizedek was in today's bible reading so I found the below. It is very good.

Abraham tithed to Melchizedek. That's the beginning and the end of the all you'll ever hear about Melchizedek. You say, "Boy, how in the world could that signify anything?" It does, very much. Now listen to the what...to what happened in the record. In Genesis chapter 14, we...we get all the detail leading up to this. Chedorlaomer, incidentally, at that time, there were little pockets of land which were ruled by tribal chieftains many times who were really kings. There was the king of Sodom, and there was the king of Elamites, and there was the king of...of this little group and that little group, and they all had their own little establishment; and Abraham was a very important man who ruled over his own people of the tribe that was his; and all of these individuals had their little dominions, all in that area of Jordan.

Now, Chedorlaomer was an Elamite king; and he got together with three allied kings and raided this area. He came over to Jordan, and he raided TransJordan. Then he raided the Negev; and he defeated all these little city-states, as they were, around Jordan, including Sodom. He defeated that area and carried off a large number of captives, as well as Lot, Abraham's nephew. You remember that Lot had gone to live in Sodom. Well, Lot got carried away. Now, news of this reached Abraham at Mamre. Abraham lived up further north near Hebron, and Abraham decided to get some forces together and chase Chedorlaomer and these other kings. So he did, and he overtook them at Damascus, launched a surprise attack, and they fled, leaving all the captives and all the spoil; and you can't really get a better deal than that.

So Abraham gathered up all the captives and all the spoil, and he took off for home. Well, on the way, he ran into the king of Sodom, who was rejoicing over what had happened; and he said to Abraham, in effect, "You oughta keep all the spoil for what you've done," and Abraham said no, because Abraham had promised the Lord that he wouldn't do such a thing, so he didn't.

Now, immediately before Abraham ran into the king of Sodom, he met this man, Melchizedek, who was the king of another little area called Salem. We'll say more about that in a minute. And this guy was not only the king, but he was the priest of the Most High God; and when he met Abraham, he blessed him, and then Abraham took of the spoils and paid it to Melchizedek, and then he fades away, and that's all we ever hear...

You say, "Well, I don't understand what's so significant about this guy." Well, that's what we're gonna see.

You can listen or read all of this by clicking here.

--------------------
Plow on, plow on...
David Campbell

Posts: 426 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement