Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Question about the poor?

Author Topic: Question about the poor?
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I’m revealing my own biases in interpreting the root question to be “Where do we draw the line in helping poor people?” Despite the great preponderance of sympathy and advocacy of the scriptures for the poor, there are after all people who will never respond to help, either material or spiritual. God’s holy word is complete and this fact is not ignored in addressing either of these two types of poverty.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 If anyone will not work, let him not eat. (material help)

Matt. 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. (spiritual help)

There is only one instance of which I know where Jesus marginalized the poor and this was in response to the indignant remarks of his own disciples recorded in Matt. 26:9 "This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."

Matt. 26:11”The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me.”

He means always when he says always, so not all can be helped.

Still, we have to remember our own position and keep perspective.

Revelation 3:17 You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.

Mark 10:21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

In other words, we can never consider our own good fortune as a reason to be arrogant in believing we are deserving.

Job 12:5 In the thought of one who is at ease there is contempt for misfortune

Thanks for presenting a great question. Hope all is well with you and your ministry.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 17 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you help the poor, you are lending to the Lord and he will repay you!
Proverbs 19:17 (New Living Translation)

Just wondering who you think the poor are in this verse.

- Is it the lazy that just don't want to work?
- Is it people hooked on booze and drugs?
- Is it people who's life have dealt them a bad hand?

Just wanting some thoughts on this as it was in my bible reading for the day.

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement