Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » The One Year Bible   » Why Couldn't They Cast It Out?

Author Topic: Why Couldn't They Cast It Out?
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well from one sheepish grinnin person to another, thanks for raising the question.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both. Now that you point it out, it does seem like a lack of faith and a lack of discipline.

It also sounds like the same issues people have today when dealing with their "inner demons".

(Sheepish grin here).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phillip tidwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's beginniing to feel like our comments are converging to a conclusion regarding lack of discipline or faith. Arguing among themselves might easily put within that category. Even though the disciples had been previously casting out demons while physically apart from Jesus which might lead one to conclude they should have had sufficient faith, that isn't necessarily the case.

Consider the account in Luke 24: 1-26. The women who found the empty tomb came running to the disciples with news clearly substantiating to the resurrection and the disciples considered it "an idle tale". Subsequently on the road to Emmaus, some of them even explained to Jesus how their hopes had been destroyed.

One might think unyielding faith would be easy if privaleged to actually walk with the Christ and see miracles first hand as the disciples had. But, even when all the evidence supports faith, it can still be stolen away.

Posts: 63 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I believe is was because of their unbelief and lack of discipline.

Earler in the passage it stated:

"O unbelieving generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me."
Mark 9:19 (NIV)

The disciples would be part of that generation.

Then again it was stated

Mark 9:23 (NIV)
" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Also the KJV says "and fasting" which means to me they may have lacked discipline.

And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
Mark 9:29 (KJV)

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark 9:14

When they came to the disciples, they saw a great crowd around them, and some scribes arguing with them. (NRSV)

Do you think it might be because they were arguing instead of serving God?

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phillip tidwell
Advanced Member
Member # 6966

That's a mystery to me as well. I've always assumed it is because this particular demon was unique in some way, perhaps more powerful than others.

Equally curious is vs. 19 where the crowd explains that the disciples failed and Jesus says "O faithless generation how long am I to be with you? How long am I to bear with you?"

It isn't entirely clear if He is addressing the crowd or the disciples, but seems exasperated in any case. Why would He be frustrated if this was a particularly difficult task?

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Mark 9:28 - 29 (NLT)

28Afterward, when Jesus was alone in the house with his disciples, they asked him, “Why couldn’t we cast out that evil spirit?”

29Jesus replied, “This kind can be cast out only by prayer.”

Why did the disciples fail?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement