Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Questions For Sabbatarians

Author Topic: Questions For Sabbatarians
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reasons why Jesus Christ has become our Sabbath Rest

The Sabbath was a command given specifically to Israel
There is no biblical record whatsoever of anybody keeping the Sabbath prior to Exodus 16 (Neh. 9:13-14). Even after they received the full-blown Sabbath command (Ex. 20:8-11), Israel who often condemned the sins of her pagan neighbors, never criticized their violation of the Sabbath.

The Sabbath was part of God’s ceremonial law and not grounded in His unchanging character
The Sabbath was a ceremonial law given specifically to Israel, not grounded in God’s unchanging nature. Similar to the entire old covenant, it has been fulfilled and brought to completion in Christ (Mt. 5:17). If David had a right to make an exception in the ceremonial law, Jesus had more (Mt. 12:1-8; c.f 5:21-48). Even Jesus said," The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath" (Mk. 2:27). Moreover, He called Himself the "Lord of the Sabbath" (Lk. 6:5).

The Sabbath was the sign of the Old Covenant
(Ex. 31:16-17; Neh. 9:14; Eze. 20:12). Because we are now under the New Covenant we are no longer under obligation to keep the Old Covenant, particularly the sign of the Old Covenant. The writer to the Hebrews remarked, "When He said, ‘A new covenant,’ He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear" (Heb. 8:13).

The New Testament nowhere commands Christians to observe the Sabbath
The church is warned of many sins in the New Testament, but breaking (or observing) the Sabbath is never mentioned. The book of Acts mentions the Sabbath nine times, never once as a day of worship for Christians. If anything, the Apostle Paul rebuked the Galatians for attempting to add the observance of days to the sufficiency of Christ’s work for salvation (Gal. 4:9-11). The church even changed their day of worship from Saturday (the Jewish Sabbath) to Sunday (the Lord’s Day) (Ac. 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2) to show that a new order had been erected with the resurrection of Christ (Jn. 20:1, 19).

Jesus Christ through His redemptive work regained the Sabbath that Adam lost
Jesus Christ came to complete a redemptive work (Jn. 4:34; 5:36) by restoring the rest that was forfeited in the Garden. In following the same pattern for the first creation, Jesus Christ began the work spoken of in Genesis 3:15 (c.f. Gen. 1:3). He completed the work on the cross (Jn. 17:4; 19:30; c.f. Gen. 1:5). The work was met with God’s satisfaction by the resurrection and ascension of Christ (Rom. 1:3-4; Gen. 1:4) leading again to divine rest (Heb. 10:11-12; c.f. Gen. 2:1-3).

The Sabbath was a sign that pointed to something greater
Like much of the Old Testament, the Sabbath pointed to Jesus Christ. The Old Testament Sabbath preached the gospel when it called for faith and a cessation of work (Rom. 4:4-5). We dishonor our Savior when the signs still receive the preeminence that He alone deserves. Now that Jesus is here, the signs have become obsolete (Heb. 8:13). The Apostle Paul said, "Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ" (Col. 2:16-17). Jesus is the new Joshua that leads God’s children to a greater Promised Land of rest (Mt. 1:21). Jesus is the new Sabbatical Jubilee (Lev. 25:8-10) that provides a greater cancellation of debts (Lk. 4:18-19).

Jesus Christ has now become the Sabbath rest for Christians under the New Covenant
God has completed His work of the new creation. Christians are the first fruits of that creation (2 Cor.. 5:17; Gal. 6:15). Our rest, as it was enjoyed by Adam everyday, has again been restored. During this life we still deal with some remnants of the curse, but we recognize our rest in Christ (from meritorious works) through faith and daily worship (Col. 3:17). Due to His redemptive work, He has become our Sabbath rest. Jesus said, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Mt. 11:28-30; c.f. Heb. 4:1-11).

The Christian’s ultimate Sabbath rest will be enjoyed in heaven
(Rev. 14:13; c.f. 14:11). Though we currently rest in Jesus Christ under the New Covenant, our supreme Sabbatical rest will be realized in heaven where we will enjoy the ultimate rest in the culmination of God’s new creation (Rev. 21:4; 22:1-2) away from the curse in the direct presence of the Lamb (Rev. 22:3).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Carol what you and (Wiersbe) are saying is what scriptures call "using grace as a license to sin"...
How does this statement use grace as a license to sin?
Wiersbe wrote:
quote:
The Law of Moses could declare God’s holy standard, but it could never provide the power needed for obedience. Sinful people need a new heart and a new disposition within; and this is just what the New Covenant provides. (For a parallel passage, see Ezek. 36:26-27.) When a sinner trusts Christ, he receives a divine nature within (2 Peter 1:1-4). This divine nature creates a desire to love and obey God. By nature, sinful people are hateful and disobedient (Titus 3:3-7); but the new nature gives each believer both the desire and the dynamic for a godly life.
Please show me what Wiersbe wrote here, or elsewhere, to make you think that.

quote:
please comment on ....Yahshua expects His followers in these last days to be praying about the Sabbath and keeping it:

Matt 24:20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 "For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Matthew 24:20 does not refer to the Church.

The midpoint of the Tribulation period is most important, for at that time an event will take place that was prophesied centuries ago by Daniel (Dan. 9:24-27). Please notice that this prophecy concerns only the Jews and the city of Jerusalem (“thy people and … thy holy city,” Dan. 9:24). To apply it to the church or to any other people or place is to misinterpret God’s Word.

During this period, God will care for His elect (Matt. 24:22), referring to Jews and Gentiles who believe and are converted. “The elect” here does not refer to the church since the church will have been raptured at least three-and-one-half years previously.

quote:
Yahshua must have not anticipated the Church fathers changing the Sabbath as you teach.

I do not teach that. I teach that Jesus Christ fulfilled the Sabbath. As for Him not anticipating something, Jesus is omniscient.

Jesus Christ through His redemptive work regained the Sabbath that Adam lost. Jesus Christ came to complete a redemptive work (Jn. 4:34; 5:36) by restoring the rest that was forfeited in the Garden. In following the same pattern for the first creation, Jesus Christ began the work spoken of in Genesis 3:15 (c.f. Gen. 1:3). He completed the work on the cross (Jn. 17:4; 19:30; c.f. Gen. 1:5). The work was met with God’s satisfaction by the resurrection and ascension of Christ (Rom. 1:3-4; Gen. 1:4) leading again to divine rest (Heb. 10:11-12; c.f. Gen. 2:1-3).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Carol what you and (Wiersbe) are saying is what scriptures call "using grace as a license to sin"... [QUOTE]
that is not an insult, it is what you are doing... i am stating a fact....

i could say you insulted me also, putting me in the category with Armstrong....i have never quoted anything that man said....

please comment on ....Yahshua expects His followers in these last days to be praying about the Sabbath and keeping it:

Matt 24:20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 "For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Yahshua must have not anticipated the Church fathers changing the Sabbath as you teach.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I challenge anyone to show me one line of scripture that states that the keeping of the literal Sabbath is no longer a commandment of Yahweh. To say so is to say that the Ten Commandments is no longer for today.
Not true. Nine of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Covenant. The Sabbath was a type fulfilled by Christ, not a moral law.

Jesus fulfilled the entire law. Otherwise He would have been disqualified as the Christ.

It is unfortunate that many Christians think they are saved by grace but must then fulfill their Christian life according to the Old Testament Law. They want the New Covenant for salvation but the Old Covenant for sanctification. The Apostle Paul had a phrase to describe this condition: “fallen from grace” (Gal. 5:4).

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said
quote:
The Law of Moses could declare God’s holy standard, but it could never provide the power needed for obedience. Sinful people need a new heart and a new disposition within; and this is just what the New Covenant provides. (For a parallel passage, see Ezek. 36:26-27.) When a sinner trusts Christ, he receives a divine nature within (2 Peter 1:1-4). This divine nature creates a desire to love and obey God. By nature, sinful people are hateful and disobedient (Titus 3:3-7); but the new nature gives each believer both the desire and the dynamic for a godly life.
You said
quote:
Carol what you and (Wiersbe) are saying is what scriptures call "using grace as a license to sin"...
Insulting me will not strengthen your argument.
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

it is true some say Paul did not pen Hebrews, but who ever penned it is not trying to teach the Law is abolished....

Yahshua expects His followers in these last days to be praying about the Sabbath and keeping it:

Matt 24:20 (NKJV) And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 "For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Yahushua and the disciples kept the Sabbath

Many say that Yahushua defended Himself and His disciples for breaking the Sabbath. Think about this for a moment...If Yahushua broke the Sabbath then He did not keep the 4th commandment! Certainly our perfect Messiah kept the Sabbath and kept it perfectly. The issue was in how the Sabbath was to be kept. The scribes and pharisees had added over one thousand laws to Sabbath observance such as not carrying your bed or healing on the Sabbath.

John 5:8 (NKJV) Yahushua said to him, "Rise, take up your bed and walk." 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed , and walked. And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, "It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry [your] bed ." 11 He answered them, "He who made me well said to me, `Take up your bed and walk.' " 12 Then they asked him, "Who is the Man who said to you, `Take up your bed and walk'?" 13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Yahushua had withdrawn, a multitude being in [that] place. 14 Afterward Yahushua found him in the temple, and said to him, "See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you." 15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Yahushua who had made him well. 16 For this reason the Jews persecuted Yahushua, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Yahushua answered them, "My Father has been working until now, and I have been working."

Yahushua did not break the Sabbath according to Yahweh's commandment and neither did the man who was healed. But the Jews of that day had added these ideas of not healing, not carrying your bed and over a thousand other commandments of men that were added to Yahweh's commandment for the Sabbath. Yahushua emphasized that working for His purpose is never breaking the Sabbath. The Levites "broke" the Sabbath by sacrificing animals. Also circumcising a child on the Sabbath would have been forbidden if you could never work for His purpose. Yahweh knows the heart. That is why Yahushua said this.

Yahushua's custom was to go the the synagogue every Sabbath.

Luke 4:16 (NKJV) So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read.

It was a normal thing in those days. The idea of not keeping the Sabbath did not exist among the Jews of that day. This is why Yahushua did not emphasize it as much as the other commandments. The leaders of the day emphasized the outward appearance of serving Yahweh, but neglected important matters such as justice, mercy and faith.

Matt 23:23 (NKJV) "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier [matters] of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.

Note that Yahushua did say that "These you ought to have done". All too often people think all that is required of us is justice, mercy and faith because Yahushua had to emphasize it so much. Certainly these are important. But do not neglect the other points.

Yahushua is the founder of our faith. His teachings and example is in full harmony with Yahweh's will for our lives and is our highest authority. Did Yahushua abolish or change the Sabbath as a day for rest and worship? Yahushua declared Himself as "Master of the Sabbath". No scripture said that He had or would change the Sabbath, even after His death. Yahushua kept the commandments and came to set us an example. (John 8:55, 1Peter 2:21-22). In fact, Yahushua expects His followers in these last days to be praying about the Sabbath and keeping it:

Matt 24:20 (NKJV) And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 "For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be.

A common form of reasoning against Yahushua's example of keeping the Sabbath is that He only 'went along' with Sabbath observance so that the law would be fulfilled. The problem with this reasoning is that it could be applied as an excuse to do away with anything Yahushua ever said or did! What percentage of His words and deeds are we to discount? This reasoning has no basis in scripture, it is only an attempt to ignore the example that Yahushua has given and also the example that the Heavenly Father gave when He created all things.
Another form of reasoning often used against Yahushua's example of Sabbath observance is that He only kept it because He was a Jew. But was the Sabbath made for all mankind or for Jews only? What did Yahushua teach?

Mark 2:27 (NKJV) And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.

While it is true that man was not made for the Sabbath, the Sabbath was made for man! Notice that Yahushua never said "The Sabbath was made for Jews, not Jews for the Sabbath," He plainly said the Sabbath was made for all mankind. When Yahweh rested on the 7th day as an example for us, a Jew did not even exist. Yahushua plainly knew the Scriptures when He said that the Sabbath was made for man:
Let's read the 56th chapter of Isaiah:
It doesn't say "Blessed is the Jew that doeth this." In fact..

Isaiah 56:3 - Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to YAHWEH, speak, saying, YAHWEH hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
4 - For thus saith YAHWEH unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 - Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
6 - Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to YAHWEH, to serve him, and to love the name of YAHWEH, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 - Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

This proves that the Sabbath was intended for anyone who has "Joined himself to Yahweh" for Yahweh says that "EVERYONE who keeps from defiling the Sabbath" will be accepted in His sight. To be certain, it is written that everyone will be observing His Sabbath day after the resurrection:

Isaiah 66:22 - For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me,
saith YAHWEH, so shall your seed and your name remain.
23 - And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath
to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith YAHWEH.

"All flesh" will be observing a regular Sabbath, not just Israelites or Jews therefore the teaching that Yahushua only kept the Sabbath because He was/is Jewish is simply false and not founded on any scripture whatsoever.

The disciples kept the Sabbath
Even the Apostle Paul, after being accused of teaching that the law had been abolished, said that He keeps the commandments:

Acts 24:14 (NKJV) "But this I confess to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect, so I worship the Elohim of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets.

Acts 25:8 (NKJV) while he answered for himself, "Neither against the law of the Jews, nor against the temple, nor against Caesar have I offended in anything at all."

Now, unless Paul was lying here he had to have been keeping the Sabbath. In fact, he said that he didn't teach anything other than what the "Old Testament" writers taught:

Acts 26:22 (NKJV) "Therefore, having obtained help from Yahweh, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come-- 23 "that the Messiah would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the [Jewish] people and to the Gentiles."

Many people would like to add: "......and abolish the law, especially the Sabbath." But this is very simply not there. You would think that such a momentous event as doing away with the Sabbath would be heavily prophesied in the Old Testament. But there is not a word about it. Rather to the contrary! (More on this later)

Even in the New Testament time period we see that the Gentiles and the Jews were keeping the Sabbath together in the Synagogue:

Acts 18:4 - And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.

Truly, the Sabbath was not for Jews only. James knew what day the Gentiles would be gathered:

Acts 15:19 - Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to YAHWEH:
20 - But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
21 - For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day.

It was well known by James and others there that the Gentiles would be keeping the Sabbath and therefore would be in the synagogue on the Sabbath day and there they would learn more about Yahweh's law.

James also stated the same thing in his writings:

James 2:2 - For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes,
3 - and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, "You sit here in a good place," and say to the poor man, "You stand there," or, "Sit here at my footstool,"

The word that is translated "assembly" in this scripture (verse 2) is the Strong's greek word 4864 "Sunagoge", translated synagogue 55 times in the new testament. I do wonder how many people honestly believe this scripture:

Galatians 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in the Messiah Yahushua.

If you believe this then you cannot say that Yahweh holds one standard for one race of people and another standard for another race of people. This is not truth! Yahweh's law was never meant to be double sided.

Did Paul do one thing and preach another? Did he preach that the Sabbath had been abolished but yet keep the Sabbath himself? Did He really call the Galatians (some of whom were Jewish) "foolish" for observing the Sabbath day and then be a hypocrite by observing it himself?

I challenge anyone to show me one line of scripture that states that the keeping of the literal Sabbath is no longer a commandment of Yahweh. To say so is to say that the Ten Commandments is no longer for today. Some might cite Colossians 2. Read the study on Colossians 2 and see for yourself that indeed it PROVES that the keeping of the Sabbath is for today and has not been abolished.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hebrews 8

The promise of God’s grace (vv. 7-9).

The emphasis in the New Covenant is on God’s “I will.” The nation of Israel at Sinai said, “All the words which the Lord hath said will we do” (Ex. 24:3). But they did not obey God’s words. It is one thing to say, “We will!” and quite another thing to do it. But the New Covenant does not depend on man’s faithfulness to God but on God’s faithful promise to man. The writer of Hebrews affirms God’s “I will” on behalf of those who trust Jesus Christ (Heb. 8:10). In fact, God’s “I will” is stated three times in that one verse and six times in Hebrews 8:8-12.

God led Israel out of Egypt the way a father would take a child by the hand and lead him. God gave Israel His holy Law for their own good, to separate them from the other nations and to protect them from the sinful practices of the heathen. But the nation failed; “they continued not in My covenant” (Heb. 8:9). God’s responses to Israel’s disobedience were to discipline them repeatedly and finally to send them into captivity.

God did not find fault with His covenant but with His people. “Wherefore, the Law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good” (Rom. 7:12). The problem is not with the Law, but with our sinful natures, for by ourselves we cannot keep God’s Law, The Law “made nothing perfect” (Heb. 7:19) because it could not change any human heart. Only God’s grace can do that.

The New Covenant is wholly of God’s grace; no sinner can become a part of this New Covenant without faith in Jesus Christ. Grace and faith go together just as the Law and works go together (Rom. 11:6). The Law says, “The man that doeth them [the things written in the Law] shall live in them” (Gal. 3:12). But grace says, “The work is done—believe and live!”

The promise of internal change (v. 10).

The Law was external; God’s demands were written on tablets of stone. But the New Covenant makes it possible for God’s Word to be written on human minds and hearts (2 Cor. 3:1-3). God’s grace makes possible an internal transformation that makes a surrendered believer more and more like Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 3:18).

It is unfortunate that many Christians think they are saved by grace but must then fulfill their Christian life according to the Old Testament Law. They want the New Covenant for salvation but the Old Covenant for sanctification. The Apostle Paul had a phrase to describe this condition: “fallen from grace” (Gal. 5:4). Not “fallen from salvation,” but fallen from the sphere of God’s blessing through grace. We do not become holy people by trying to obey God’s Law in our own power. It is by yielding to the Holy Spirit within that we fulfill the righteousness of the Law (Rom. 8:1-4); and this is wholly of grace.

The promise of eternal blessing (v. 13).

The Old Covenant was still governing the nation of Israel at the time this epistle was written. The temple was standing and the priests were offering their appointed sacrifices. Devout Jews probably thought that their Christian friends were foolish to abandon such a “solid religion” for a faith that was seemingly intangible. What the unbelieving Jews did not realize was that their “solid religion” had grown old and was about to vanish away. In a.d. 70 the city of Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed by the Romans, and the Jews have not had a temple or a priesthood to serve them ever since (see Hosea 3:4).

However, the New Covenant brings eternal blessing. Jesus Christ is the Author of “eternal salvation” (Heb. 5:9) and “eternal redemption” (Heb. 9:12). The New Covenant can never get old and disappear. The Greek word translated “new” means “new in quality,” not “new in time.” This New Covenant is of such quality that it will never need to be replaced!

Yes, our Lord is ministering on the basis of a better covenant, a New Covenant that makes us partakers of the new nature and the wonderful new life that only Christ can give.

(Wiersbe)

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You say I misunderstand, then post exactly the same thing I just posted.

It is you I don't understand.

P.S. The writer of Hebrews is unknown.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 18 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol you misunderstand Paul's statement ...

quote:
Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
Jeremiah 31:31-33 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah-- "not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. "But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Matt 26:28 "For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Heb 8:13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

- The Lord made a clear promise in the Old Testament of a New Covenant (Testament).

- When he says "the days are coming" it refers to the day of the Lord and when he says "after those days" he is speaking of the end of days.

- Jeremiah was known as "the weeping prophet" and was comforted with this promise.

- The old covenant was written on stone, the new one is written on the heart.

- The Lord reveals that the New Covenant would be for the house of Israel and Judah, not like the old covenant but "after those days" He would write the Law inside them.

- The writer of Hebrews reveals that this Scripture in Jeremiah is pointing to the new covenant that was poured out upon the Church at Pentecost, and also upon the nation of Israel during the time of the Second Coming of Christ and of the Millennium.

- The Jews celebrated the pouring out of the Holy Spirit during the kingdom during the feast of Tabernacles on the "great day" when they poured water on the Temple pavement.

- Hebrew 8-10 speak in detail of the old covenant laws and rituals that were passing away.

- In the old covenant when the law was broken there was a sacrifice that would be given on behalf of the guilty sinner, under the new covenant the one sacrifice, Jesus, cleanses all men of all sins to those who put their trust in Him.

- Under the old covenant the law was a curse, and its power was death. Under the new covenant the law is written on the inside and the power of sin and death are broken.

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Jeremiah 31:31-33 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah-- "not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD. "But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Matt 26:28 "For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

- The Lord made a clear promise in the Old Testament of a New Covenant (Testament).

- When he says "the days are coming" it refers to the day of the Lord and when he says "after those days" he is speaking of the end of days.

- Jeremiah was known as "the weeping prophet" and was comforted with this promise.

- The old covenant was written on stone, the new one is written on the heart.

- The Lord reveals that the New Covenant would be for the house of Israel and Judah, not like the old covenant but "after those days" He would write the Law inside them.

- The writer of Hebrews reveals that this Scripture in Jeremiah is pointing to the new covenant that was poured out upon the Church at Pentecost, and also upon the nation of Israel during the time of the Second Coming of Christ and of the Millennium.

- The Jews celebrated the pouring out of the Holy Spirit during the kingdom during the feast of Tabernacles on the "great day" when they poured water on the Temple pavement.

- Hebrew 8-10 speak in detail of the old covenant laws and rituals that were passing away.

- In the old covenant when the law was broken there was a sacrifice that would be given on behalf of the guilty sinner. Under the new covenant the one sacrifice, Jesus, cleanses all men of all sins to those who put their trust in Him.

- Under the old covenant the law was a curse, and its power was death. Under the new covenant the law is written on the inside and the power of sin and death are broken.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
The new covenant which takes away our sins does not take away the old covenant (which is the promise of what will happen if one breaks Yahweh's Laws).

Yahweh's Laws is not the old covenant; I stress again the old covenant is the promise of Yahweh, of what will happen if one breaks His Laws. The new covenant takes away law breaking, and in so doing takes away the old covenant, which is Yahweh's promise of eternal death if one breaks His Law.

We are dead to the Law. "Ye also are become dead to the law." (Romans 7:4)

The new covenant is spoken about first in the book of Jeremiah. The old covenant that God had established with His people required obedience to the Old Testament Mosaic law. Because the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), the law required that people perform rituals and sacrifices in order to please God and remain in His grace. The prophet Jeremiah predicted that there would be a time when God would make a new covenant with the nation of Israel.

"'The day will come,' says the Lord, 'when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and Judah. . . . But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day,' says the Lord. 'I will put my law in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people'" (Jeremiah 31:31, 33). Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law of Moses (Matthew 5:17) and create a new covenant between God and His people. The old covenant was written in stone, but the new covenant is written on our hearts, made possible only by faith in Christ, who shed His own blood to atone for the sins of the world. Luke 22:20 says, "After supper, [Jesus] took another cup of wine and said, 'This wine is the token of God's new covenant to save you – an agreement sealed with the blood I will pour out for you.'"

Now that we are under the new covenant, we are not under the penalty of the law. We are now given the opportunity to receive salvation as a free gift (Ephesians 2:8-9). Through the life-giving Holy Spirit who lives in all believers (Romans 8:9-11), we can now share in the inheritance of Christ and enjoy a permanent, unbroken relationship with God. Hebrews 9:15 declares, “For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that He has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.”

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Some say we are under a new covenant, which many believe the new covenant takes away the old covenant; new covenant being Yahshua, the old covenant being the Laws of Yahweh.

So lets address this deception:

Yahshua came to take away our sins (1John 3:4) not the Laws of Yahweh.

One needs to read (

Hebrews 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: ,

Hebrews 10: 15Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

16This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

17And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

18Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin. ,

Jeremiah 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

33But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. )

these verses shows what the new covenant is.

Notice verse "10" of Heb. 8:, Yahweh says he will put His Laws in their minds and their hearts, but no where did He say, He would take His Laws away.

Notice verse "15-16" in Heb. 10:, that says the Holy Spirit is a witness to us, that Yahweh's Laws will be in our hearts and our minds. This is the new covenant, once you are saved, filled with the Holy Spirit, through the Holy Spirit, a born again believer has a mind and a heart to keep the Laws of Yahweh.

The only way you can have this mind and heart is through the Holy Spirit (Rom. 8:6-9, 12:1-2); to break it down even the more, "the new covenant means", once saved through Yahshua's blood, by the power of the Holy Spirit, one has a mind and a heart to keep the Laws of Yahweh. Being set free from sin through Yahshua, which is 'the new covenant", which takes away our sins (breaking of Yahweh's Laws) not the laws.

The new covenant which takes away our sins does not take away the old covenant (which is the promise of what will happen if one breaks Yahweh's Laws).

Yahweh's Laws is not the old covenant; I stress again the old covenant is the promise of Yahweh, of what will happen if one breaks His Laws. The new covenant takes away law breaking, and in so doing takes away the old covenant, which is Yahweh's promise of eternal death if one breaks His Law.

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
If every man from Adam to Moses kept the Sabbath, why is the Hebrew word for the weekly Sabbath found in the ten commandments, never found in the book of Genesis?
In Genesis the term used is:

H7637
שְׁבִעִי שְׁבִיעִי
shebı̂y‛ı̂y shebi‛ı̂y
sheb-ee-ee', sheb-ee-ee'
Ordinal from H7657; seventh:—seventh (time).

In the Ten Commandments the term used is:

H7676
שַׁבָּת
shabbâth
shab-bawth'
Intensive from H7673; intermission, that is, (specifically) the Sabbath:— (+ every) sabbath.

The question is actually saying that no one was required to keep the Sabbath before the law was given to Moses. The Sabbath was the sign of that covenant, and a type of Christ's grace.

quote:
God is unchangeable. God's word is unchangeable too. In Matthew 24:35, the Lord Jesus said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."

Jesus Christ is “the Messenger of the covenant” (Malachi 3) in that He fulfilled all the demands of the covenant in His life, suffered the penalties in His death, and rose from the dead to usher in a New Covenant of grace (Jer. 31:31-40; Matt 26:26-30; Heb. 8:6-13). All the covenants in Old Testament history unite in pointing to Jesus Christ and His marvelous work of redemption.

Luke 22:20

YLT:

In like manner, also, the cup after the supping, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood, that for you is being poured forth.

NRSV:

And he did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

NKJV:

Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

KJV:

Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

ASV:

And the cup in like manner after supper, saying, This cup is the new covenant in my blood, even that which is poured out for you.

RSV:

And likewise the cup after supper, saying, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

NASB:

And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

NLT:

After supper he took another cup of wine and said, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you.

We are to obey the commandments of the New Covenant guided by the Holy Spirit.

Peter and Paul and all the apostles did not speak and perform miracles from their own righteousness, but from the power of the Spirit.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

quote:
If every man from Adam to Moses kept the Sabbath, why is the Hebrew word for the weekly Sabbath found in the ten commandments, never found in the book of Genesis?
Genesis 2

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God blessed the seventh day,
(No man can change or curse what God has Blessed! )and Yahweh is not double minded....Yahweh is the same yesterday, today and forever!

"I am the LORD, I change not."
Malachi 3:6

God is unchangeable. God's word is unchangeable too. In Matthew 24:35, the Lord Jesus said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."

and sanctified the seventh day: to consecrate, sanctify, prepare, dedicate, be hallowed, be holy, be sanctified, be separate (this is how Yahweh perceives the Seventh day)

The Bible is the story of God unfolding Himself or changing His form from the Holy Spirit alone with his thoughts to the manifestation of those thoughts in the flesh of His Family.

We understand that Jesus Christ is the manifestation of the unchanging God - the same yesterday, and today, and forever - and the beginning of God creating Himself in the Form of His Family (Revelation 3:14).

His Bride, the New Testament Church, is the continuation of the same Creation. The True Church is Word of His Word, one with the Spirit, and cannot deny one Word, even as Eve was flesh of Adam's flesh, and bone of his bone. She is a 'by-product' of Christ and made for Christ, as woman was a by-product or continuation of Adam, of the same creation, not another creation apart from Adam.

Christians know that the only evolution was in the creative mind of God, where He conceived the unfathomable diversity of His creation. The unchanging God has established natural and Spiritual laws: He cannot abrogate Himself, and He must honor His Word whenever the appropriate circumstances are met.

If He healed a disease under certain circumstances in one day, He must heal everyone who approaches Him with identical faith and under similar circumstances. If He redeemed one person by grace through faith, He will have to redeem every one who meets the SAME conditions. The prophet Balaam taught, 'What God has cursed, He cannot bless, and what God has blessed no man can curse'. Were He to change His ways, He would be unjust.

God hates hybreeding, whether between species, or adding to and taking from His Word by church creeds and traditions. Everything we see was formed by the spoken Word of God. Jesus said, 'My Word is Spirit, and It is Life'. But once we tamper with It by taking away here, or adding to It somewhere else, it becomes sterile, and It is no longer His Word and Life, it is death.

Jesus condemned the denominations of His day for hybreeding His Word with the commandments of men. 'By your traditions, ye make the Word of God of none effect'. And our denominational churches today cannot reproduce the faith of Jesus Christ, because they are not walking in the Light of the PRESENT Truth, and have compromised the pure Word by reasoning against It.

God's law of natural reproduction is the law of RE-production, or replication, not hybridization. It requires that everything bring forth of its kind. So is it with spiritual Life.

God said, 'How can two walk together, except they be agreed on the Word'? Balaam got Israel to commit fornication with a related people who practiced an impure worship. So close ... God never did forgive them.

Do you know that physical fornication is the very same spirit that lies in organized religion? The spirit of fornication is the spirit of organization. And all fornicators will have their place in the Lake of Fire. And that is what God thinks of organization. Yes sir, the ***** and her daughters will be in the Lake of Fire.

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed!!! We need a day of rest. [Smile]

But EVERYDAY is devoted to our wonderful Lord and Savior!

And EVERYDAY is our Sabbath as we rest in the salvation of Jesus Christ, and as we cease from our own will and works and submit to the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was blindly hasty with my keyboard without think about the gentles under judgement for the sabbath thing, and now that I look at the text examples, future sabbaths too. I gladly admit it. Thank you for this moment. Let the word be the final authority (or say), after all we are to rightly divide it, not look for our opinions or bias.

Ha, ha, ha, on me Carol. I did not say, "What saith the scripture" now did I. Never the less, Taking time out a busy world can be very Beneficial, lol! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Copper

quote:
68. If Isa 66:23 proves the Sabbath will be in heaven, will the new moon festival also be there? "from new moon to new moon And from sabbath to sabbath"
Note what all is in Isaiah's "new heaven and earth":

Levites (66:21)
New Moon (66:23)
Sabbath (66:23)
flesh (66:23)
wolves, lambs, lions and serpents (65:25)
children who die at 100 years old (65:20)
building houses and planting vineyards, work with hands (65:21, 22)
bringing forth children (65:23)

Now when you compare what is actually taught about the New Testament's "new heaven and earth" you can readily conclude that Isaiah's "new heaven and earth" cannot be speaking about the heaven where God's literal throne exists today, but most probably of the Millennial Kingdom.

Christ is our priest in heaven and is not of Levi. The law was changed (Heb. 8:1; 7:11-15)

New Moon and Sabbaths are done away and a mere shadow of things to come (Col. 2:14-17).

Besides, there is no sun or moon in heaven (Rev. 21:23, 22:5). This fact makes it impossible to have a regular Sabbath keeping as well as a "new moon."

no flesh shall inherit it (1 Cor. 15:50ff)
no death exists there (Rev. 22:4)
no marrying and giving in marriage there (Matt. 22:30)

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following question was asked of John MacArthur

Question

Are the Sabbath laws binding on Christians today?

Answer

We believe the Old Testament regulations governing Sabbath observances are ceremonial, not moral, aspects of the law. As such, they are no longer in force, but have passed away along with the sacrificial system, the Levitical priesthood, and all other aspects of Moses' law that prefigured Christ. Here are the reasons we hold this view.

In Colossians 2:16-17, Paul explicitly refers to the Sabbath as a shadow of Christ, which is no longer binding since the substance (Christ) has come. It is quite clear in those verses that the weekly Sabbath is in view. The phrase "a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day" refers to the annual, monthly, and weekly holy days of the Jewish calendar (cf. 1 Chronicles 23:31; 2 Chronicles 2:4; 31:3; Ezekiel 45:17; Hosea 2:11). If Paul were referring to special ceremonial dates of rest in that passage, why would he have used the word "Sabbath?" He had already mentioned the ceremonial dates when he spoke of festivals and new moons.

The Sabbath was the sign to Israel of the Mosaic Covenant (Exodus 31:16-17; Ezekiel 20:12; Nehemiah 9:14). Since we are now under the New Covenant (Hebrews 8), we are no longer required to observe the sign of the Mosaic Covenant.

The New Testament never commands Christians to observe the Sabbath.

In our only glimpse of an early church worship service in the New Testament, the church met on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7).

Nowhere in the Old Testament are the Gentile nations commanded to observe the Sabbath or condemned for failing to do so. That is certainly strange if Sabbath observance were meant to be an eternal moral principle.

There is no evidence in the Bible of anyone keeping the Sabbath before the time of Moses, nor are there any commands in the Bible to keep the Sabbath before the giving of the law at Mt. Sinai.

When the Apostles met at the Jerusalem council (Acts 15), they did not impose Sabbath keeping on the Gentile believers.

The apostle Paul warned the Gentiles about many different sins in his epistles, but breaking the Sabbath was never one of them.

In Galatians 4:10-11, Paul rebukes the Galatians for thinking God expected them to observe special days (including the Sabbath).

In Romans 14:5, Paul forbids those who observe the Sabbath (these were no doubt Jewish believers) to condemn those who do not (Gentile believers).

The early church fathers, from Ignatius to Augustine, taught that the Old Testament Sabbath had been abolished and that the first day of the week (Sunday) was the day when Christians should meet for worship (contrary to the claim of many seventh-day sabbatarians who claim that Sunday worship was not instituted until the fourth century).

Sunday has not replaced Saturday as the Sabbath. Rather the Lord's Day is a time when believers gather to commemorate His resurrection, which occurred on the first day of the week. Every day to the believer is one of Sabbath rest, since we have ceased from our spiritual labor and are resting in the salvation of the Lord (Hebrews 4:9-11).

So while we still follow the pattern of designating one day of the week a day for the Lord's people to gather in worship, we do not refer to this as "the Sabbath."

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grace and law are mutually exclusive; that is, they cannot be mixed......... If by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace" (Rom. 11:6).

I am not opposed to keeping the Sabbath and the Feasts if a person wants to. I am opposed to saying we are required to keep them.

quote:
Carol, can you find on tine in the NT, in all honest were God the Father, or Jesus Christ said "I have removed the sabbath forever" or "I have abolished the sabbath"

Yes. The Jewish Sabbath was abolished in Col 2:14-16.

14 He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross. 15 In this way, he disarmed the spiritual rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross.

16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

Christ's death was the death of our sins; Christ's resurrection is the quickening of our souls. The law of ordinances, which was a yoke to the Jews, and a partition-wall to the Gentiles, the Lord Jesus took out of the way. When the substance was come, the shadows fled. Since every mortal man is, through the hand-writing of the law, guilty of death, how very dreadful is the condition of the ungodly and unholy, who trample under foot that blood of the Son of God, whereby alone this deadly hand-writing can be blotted out! Let not any be troubled about bigoted judgments which related to meats, or the Jewish solemnities. The setting apart a portion of our time for the worship and service of God, is a moral and unchangeable duty, but had no necessary dependence upon the seventh day of the week, the sabbath of the Jews. The first day of the week, or the Lord's day, is the time kept holy by Christians, in remembrance of Christ's resurrection. All the Jewish rites were shadows of gospel blessings.

(Matthew Henry)

Copper25
Advanced Member
Member # 7464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copper25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope this helps clarify the issue.

Carol, can you find on tine in the NT, in all honest were God the Father, or Jesus Christ said "I have removed the sabbath forever" or "I have abolished the sabbath"

Revelation 11:

18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

19 And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightnings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail

3 things are contained in this ark of his testement. 1)Aaron's rod that budded, 2) The manna, 3) The ten commandments.

Would God abolish that which he will use in judgement? God forbid, for if that be the case, then how can God use the ten commandments to condemn mankind, to be a witness against them?

Thus we can clearly just establish this, that the sabbath was never cancelled, nor cut, that's all.

BecauseHElives was pointing out the simple fact that the sabbath was not abolished.
I want to make a 2 points

1) Now this is a warning, may one never say that by keeping the sabbath, they have their relation ship with God, because Christ is our peace with God.

This next point is what all your questions aim at, I am assuming, and the answer can be summed in this fact.

2)Now on regaurds to keeping the sabbath, does this mean that if you don't keep the sabbath, you are going to hell? Nay, because if you are in Christ, then you are justified and his blood covers you.

3) Interestingly enough though, if one is not in Christ, they are bound to that commandment, because lest one is in Christ, they are under the Law.

4) On this note though, taking the sabbath, it can be very refreshing just to spend more time with God, and it is a break from the world. I frankly enjoy sabbath days. [Big Grin]

5)Now for the OT I will say this about the sabbath, Read Isaiah 56 for example, keeping the sabbath was a strong symbol of following God.

6) On regaurds to the Sabbath and new moons being keep in the new world

Carol, you said

quote:
68. If Isa 66:23 proves the Sabbath will be in heaven, will the new moon festival also be there? "from new moon to new moon And from sabbath to sabbath"
Have you not examined the text in the book of Ezeikial?

Eze 46:1 The Sovereign LORD says, "The east gateway to the inner courtyard must be kept closed during the six working days, but it is to be opened on the Sabbath and at the New Moon Festival.

Eze 46:2 The ruling prince will go from the outer courtyard into the entrance room of the gateway and stand beside the posts of the gate while the priests burn his sacrifices whole and offer his fellowship offerings. There at the gate he must worship and then go back out. The gate must not be shut until evening.

Eze 46:3 Each Sabbath and each New Moon Festival all the people are also to bow down and worship the LORD in front of the gate.

Eze 46:4 On the Sabbath the prince is to bring to the LORD, as sacrifices to be burned whole, six lambs and one ram, all without any defects.

Eze 46:5 With each ram he is to bring an offering of half a bushel of grain, and with each lamb he is to bring whatever he wants to give. For each half-bushel of grain offering he is to bring three quarts of olive oil.

Read Ezeikial 37 and you will notice the symbolism for the ressurection of the people of Isreal.

Read Ezeikial 38 and we see God speaks against Gog.

I will tell you this, now read revelation 20:8 and you will see what happens to the God and Magog.

So we put it together. Thus Eziekial 40-48 give us a glimpse of the beautiful furture of this earth and the 1000 year reign.

I hope I adressed the main apsects of you questions.

These 2 aspects, the sabbath never being abolisged, and the sabbath in the future, are true.

Thank you for your time

--------------------
Isaiah 40:6) The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field

Posts: 262 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

You didn't answer ANY of the questions.

Spurgeon quoted from James 2, a chapter about mercy and good deeds. Nothing to do with the Sabbath.

James 2
8 Yes indeed, it is good when you obey the royal law as found in the Scriptures: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 9 But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law.

10 For the person who keeps all of the laws except one is as guilty as a person who has broken all of God’s laws. 11 For the same God who said, “You must not commit adultery,” also said, “You must not murder.” So if you murder someone but do not commit adultery, you have still broken the law.

12 So whatever you say or whatever you do, remember that you will be judged by the law that sets you free. 13 There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you.

All of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Testament except the command to observe the Sabbath.

Romans 14:5(NLT)
In the same way, some think one day is more holy than another day, while others think every day is alike. You should each be fully convinced that whichever day you choose is acceptable.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

The Sabbath is a sign that we are His people and will be kept in the future kingdom

Exod 31:13 (NKJV) "Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: `Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it [is] a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that [you] may know that I [am] Yahweh who sanctifies you.

The Sabbath is a sign between Yahweh and His people forever. And not just Israel, but for all who enjoin themselves unto the blessings and promises of Israel by accepting Yahushua the Messiah.

Isai 56:3 (NKJV) Do not let the son of the foreigner Who has joined himself to Yahweh Speak, saying, "Yahweh has utterly separated me from His people"; Nor let the eunuch say, "Here I am, a dry tree." 4 For thus says Yahweh: "To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, And choose what pleases Me, And hold fast My covenant, 5 Even to them I will give in My house And within My walls a place and a name Better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name That shall not be cut off. 6 "Also the sons of the foreigner Who join themselves to Yahweh, to serve Him, And to love the name of Yahweh, to be His servants--Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, And holds fast My covenant--

We know that not just Israel was to keep the Sabbath, but EVERYONE.

The Sabbath will also be kept when Yahushua returns:

Isai 66:22 (NKJV) "For as the new heavens and the new earth Which I will make shall remain before Me," says Yahweh, "So shall your descendants and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass [That] from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me," says Yahweh.

quote:
I should like to say to any brother who thinks that God has put us under an altered rule: “Which particular part of the law is it that God has relaxed?” Which precept do you feel free to break? Are you delivered from the command which forbids stealing? My dear sir, you may be a capital theologian, but I should lock up my spoons when you call at my house. Is it the command about adultery which you think is removed? Then I could not recommend your being admitted into any decent society. Is the law as to killing softened down? Then I had rather have your room than your company. Which law is it that God has exempted you from? That law of worshipping him only? Do you propose to have another God? Do you intend to make graven images? The fact is that when we come to detail we cannot afford to lose a single link of this wonderful golden chain, which is perfect in every part as well as perfect as a whole. The law is absolutely complete, and you can neither add to it nor take from it. “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.” If, then, no part of it can be taken down, it must stand, and stand for ever.

C. H. Spurgeon

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Questions Sabbatarians Don’t Like To Be Asked!

Facts about the Sabbath and other questions!

1. If every man from Adam to Moses kept the Sabbath, why is the Hebrew word for the weekly Sabbath found in the ten commandments, never found in the book of Genesis? Why is no one before Moses ever being told to keep the Sabbath. Why are there no examples of anyone keeping the Sabbath?

2. Why were the Patriarchs never instructed about he Sabbath, but were instructed regarding: offerings: Gen 4:3-4, Altars Gen 8:20, Priests: Gen 14:18, Tithes: Gen 14:20, Circumcision: Gen 17:10, Marriage: Gen 2:24 & Gen 34:9. Why would God leave out the "all important" Sabbath command?

3. If the fact that God wrote the 10 commandments on stone proves they are forever, then whatever happened to the two stone tablets that God gave Adam at the beginning of time? Why is Moses the first one to see a stone tablet written by the finger of God?

4. Why is the weekly Sabbath commandment never quoted in the New Testament?

5. Why is the Sabbath the only one of the ten commandments that are said to be "throughout your generations", the usual phrase that indicates it was a temporary ceremonial law only for the Jews?

6. Why is there no example of exclusively Christians coming together on the Sabbath day as a church or prayer meeting after the resurrection of Christ?

7. Why is there no command in the New Testament for Christians to keep the Sabbath holy?

8. While Paul taught in the synagogues up to 84 times, why does the Bible never say he kept the sabbath?

9. If Paul’s action of preaching to non-believers 84 times in the book of Acts on the Sabbath make him a Sabbath keeper, is a Seventh-day Adventist pastor a Sunday keeper if we invite him for 84 Sundays in a row to teach us about God’s word?

10. How could Adam, Noah and Abraham keep the Sabbath, when Deuteronomy 5:2-4 says that the 10 commandment covenant was "not made with any of the fathers of Israel who lived before Moses."

11. If we must follow the example of Jesus in all things like keeping the Sabbath, then why do Sabbatarians not follow the example of Jesus in circumcision, animal sacrifices and keeping Passover?

12. If the Sabbath was for Gentiles and Adam, Noah and Abraham, then why is the Sabbath a sign to remind their exodus from Egypt? Exodus 16:23,29; 31:13-18. Were either Abraham or Seventh-day Adventists ever slaves in Egypt?

13. If the Sabbath law is still in force, then why do they not stone their own members when they break the Sabbath as the law said?

14. Ellen G. White, who is considered inspired by Seventh-day Adventists, said that the Pope changed the Sabbath in about 321 AD. Why do all Adventists today reject their inspired prophet and say the change of the Sabbath occurred in about 140 AD? If White was wrong about this, was she wrong when she traveled to heaven and saw the 4th commandment glowing brighter than all the rest?

15. If the current position of the Seventh-day Adventist church is that the change from Saturday to Sunday took place in 140 AD, doesn’t that mean that they have come a long way from Whites 325 AD and have only 40 more years to travel to reach the truth of the Apostolic age?

16. If the change from Saturday to Sunday happened, why is there absolutely no discussion of this change of actual day for the first 600 years of church history. Merely calling Sunday the Sabbath doesn’t count!

17. If Sabbatarians reject White’s inspiration, that Constantine changed the Sabbath day to Sunday, why do they keep bringing Constantine up as proof? If Constantine changed the Sabbath to Sunday, why does he merely legislate that work must stop on Sunday with no actual mention of the day being moved?

18. If the first/old covenant was abolished according to Heb 8:13 and the Ten commandment law was that first covenant (Ex 34:27-28; 1 Kings 8:9,21; Heb 9:1-4), then why do Sabbatarians want to keep the first/old covenant?

19. Why is the universal record of history (75-500AD) 100% in unanimous agreement that Christians never kept the Sabbath (7th day) and have always worshipped on Sunday?

20. Why is the universal record of history (75-500AD) 100% in unanimous agreement that Christians ate the Lord’s Supper every Sunday in the tradition of Acts 20:7?

21. Why is the universal record of history (75-500AD) 100% in unanimous agreement that Christians always called Sunday the Lord’s Day because, they said, this was the day Jesus rose from the dead?

22. Why has no Sabbatarian every produced even one historical quote (75-500AD) that says Christians kept the Sabbath?

23. If the Sabbath is not a ceremonial law, then why is it lumped into the same identical class of "holy convocations" as the rest of the Jewish feast days? Lev 23:2; Ex 20:9; 31:17

24. If the 10 commandments remain but the book of law was abolished, then why did God put two copies of the 10 commandments in the book of the law? Ex 20; Deut 5

25. How can there possibly be a difference between "the law of God" and the "Law of Moses" when God gave the Law of Moses (Ezra 7:6; Neh 8:1) and Moses gave the Law of God (Neh 10:29; 2 Chron 34:14)?

26. If there is a distinction between the moral and ceremonial laws, why are the Jewish feast days called part of the Law of the Lord? (2 Chron 331:3)

27. If there is a distinction between the moral and ceremonial laws, why in a single chapter of Nehemiah 8 are the following phrases all used interchangeably: "book of the law of Moses" v1, "the law" v2, "book of the law" v3, "the law of god" v8, "book of the law of god" v18?

28. Why are the two most important commandments contained within the ceremonial law of Moses that Sabbatarians say was nailed to the cross? (Matthew 22:36-40)

29. Why did Jesus say Moses gave the 10 commandment law: "Thou shalt not kill" in Jn 7:19?

30. If the Sabbath cannot change, because God cannot change (Mal 3:6) then what about all the other feast days and laws that changed? Heb 7:12. And why did Jesus give a "a new commandment" in John 13:34?

31. If the ten commandments are going to be in heaven, what is the use of "thou shalt not commit adultery", if there is no marriage in heaven? Lk 20:34-35

32. If the Sabbath was given to all men, why were Gentiles called "strangers". Why were Gentiles outside the gates not required to keep the Sabbath? Ex 20:10.

33. How could the Sabbath be a sign between God and Israel, if all nations were expected to keep it? Ex 31:17

34. Why did God send the Jews into Babylonian Captivity for breaking the Sabbath, but never ever criticized any Gentiles for never keeping the Sabbath?

35. Why did God often criticize the Gentiles via the prophets for moral violations, but never for not keeping the Sabbath?

36. If the Gentiles were supposed to keep the Sabbath, why are they called "strangers of the Covenant" in Eph 2:12?

37. If the term, "the law" always means the 10 commandments, then why is Leviticus called "The Law" in Mt 22:35ff, Numbers called "The Law" in Mt 12:5, Deuteronomy called "The Law" in Mt 22:35f, Psalms called "The Law" in Jn 10:34,45, Rom 3:10-12; 3:13-14,19, the Prophets called "The Law" in 1 Cor 14:21 and the Ten commandments are called "The Law" that is abolished in Rom 7:4-7?

38. If the term "commandments" always means the 10 commandments, then why are the laws that are not part of the ten commandments but called commandments in Mt 19:16-19 not also included?

39. If the term "commandments" always means the 10 commandments, then what did Paul call the injunction for prophet’s wives to keep silent in the assemblies, a "commandment of the Lord" in 1 Cor 14:37?

40. If the term "keep my commandments" always means the 10 commandments, then why is this a new commandment? Jn 15:10-12 + Jn 13:34.

41. If only the ten commandments are going to endure until heaven and earth pass away, why did Jesus say the law AND THE PROPHETS? Mt 5:17-18

42. When Jesus was asked, "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" why did Jesus NOT QUOTE from the 10 commandments, but from the abolished ceremonial law of Moses? Matthew 22:36-40

43. If the 10 commandments are the highest and most complete expression of God’s will, then why did it lack the two most important commandments? Matthew 22:36-40 where is the prohibition against drunkeness, homosexuality and fornication?

44. If the 10 commandments are the highest and most complete expression of God’s will, then why did Jesus give a new commandment to "love one another, even as I have loved you" John 13:34. Where were the Jews told to love their neighbor as Yahweh loved them?

45. If Christians worshipping on Sunday is equal to Sun Worship, then is Adventists worshipping on Saturday equal to Saturn worship?

46. If Sabbatarians will boldly quote "scholars" who are really Bible trashers and skeptics who claim "the origin of Sunday worship is entirely pagan", like Arthur Weigall in his ridiculous little book, "the paganism in our Christianity", will these same Sabbatarians turn a few pages later where these same authors say the origin of the Sabbath is also pagan? "I have, already mentioned that Sunday, too, was a pagan holy-day; and in this chapter I propose to discuss the origin of this custom of keeping one day in the week as a Sabbath, or "day of rest,' and' to show that the practice was forcefully opposed by Jesus Christ. The origin of the seven-day week which was used by the Jews and certain other peoples, but not till, later by the Greeks or Romans, is to be sought in some primitive worship of the moon (The Paganism in Our Christianity, Arthur Weigall, 1928, p209,210-211)

47. If the Sabbath is a moral law, why did Jesus say that David, the priests, a man with his donkey could all break the Sabbath without sin? Mt 12:1-14; Mk 2:23f, Lk 13:10-17; 14:1-6 Jn 5:8-18; 7:19-24; 9:14-16.

48. If the Sabbath is a moral law, why did God grow tired of the Jews keeping it and told them to stop keeping the Sabbath? Isa 1:13-14 Did God ever grow weary of anyone not committing adultery or murder, and tell them to be immoral and kill?

49. If the Sabbath is a moral law, how could Jesus break it without sinning? Jn 5:18

50. If one of the distinctions between the ten commandments was proven by the fact they were written by the finger of God, why did Moses copy them out twice with his own hand? How can there be any distinction between the 10 commandments in the ark and the book of the law beside the ark, if the book contained two copies of exactly what was in the ark?

51. Why are the terms "ceremonial law" and "moral law" never found in the Bible. Why is the word ceremonial or any of its roots never found in the same verse as the word LAW and why is the word moral or any of its roots never found in the same verse as the word LAW?

52. If there is a distinction between moral and ceremonial laws, why do "God’s laws" and "the law of God" contain ceremonial laws. Why do "Moses law" and the "law of Moses" contain moral laws?

53. If there is a distinction between moral and ceremonial laws, why does the "law of God" command animal sacrifices Lk 2:23-24 and the "law of the Lord" contains burnt offerings 2 Chron 31:3; 1 Chron 16:40?

54. If there is a distinction between moral and ceremonial laws, then why is the book of the law filled with moral laws not contained in the 10 commandments?

55. If there is a distinction between the Law of the Lord and the Law of Moses, why in 2 Chron 35:26 are "the acts of Josiah and his deeds of devotion as written in the law of the Lord"?

56. If there is a distinction between moral and ceremonial laws, then why does the Law of God include new moons, solemn feast days: Ps 81:3-4?

57. If there is a distinction between the Law of the Lord and the Law of Moses, why did the law tell Israel to dwell in tents: Neh 8:14?

58. If Jesus came to fulfill the law and the prophets, then didn’t Mt 5:17 say that only then would they be abolished before heaven and earth pass away? If the law and the prophets are still in force, doesn’t that prove Jesus didn’t fulfill the law completely?

59. When you ask me, "if the 10 commandments are abolished, does that mean we can steal", can I ask you, "when you travel from Canada to the USA, does that mean you can steal? Is it possible that two completely different "codes of law" (law of Moses vs. law of Christ) have the same laws just like Canada and the USA?

60. If the Jewish law against eating pork was abolished by Christ, why do Sabbatarians continue to enforce what they call, "the ceremonial law of Moses": Mk 7:18-19; 1 Tim 4:1-4; Rom 14:2; Acts 10:9-16

61. If the Jewish law of Tithing is forbidden in 2 Cor 9, why do Sabbatarians practice from "ceremonial law of Moses"?

62. If the Jewish Sabbath was abolished in Col 2:14-16, yet Sabbatarians keep the Sabbath, which itself is the only ceremonial law of the 10 commandments?

63. Why do you practice Tithing which is Prohibited: 2 Cor 9:7 forbid Eating Pork, which is Permitted: Mk 7:18-19 and keep the Sabbath which is Abolished: Col 2:14-16? Aren’t all three of these ceremonial laws?

64. When Sabbatarians attempt to prove there is a distinction between the moral vs. ceremonial laws, the law of God vs. the Law of Moses, the 10 commandments vs. and the book of the law, and they shown countless bible passages that destroy any distinction Sabbatarians might dream up, will they at least be honest and admit they need to find some definitive way to create this false distinction that does not exist in the Bible and will try again tomorrow?

65. Why do you refuse to accept that Col 2:16 contains the Old Testament pattern of referring to the Jewish holy says in a yearly, monthly, weekly sequence as in 1 Chronicles 23:31, 2 Chronicles 31:3, 2 Chronicles 8:13, 2 Chronicles 2:4, Nehemiah 10:33, Ezekiel 45:17, Hosea 2:11, Galatians 4:10?

66. If the plural "sabbaton" in Col 2:16 cannot refer to weekly Sabbath day, then why does plural "sabbaton" refer to the weekly Sabbath day in Matthew 28:1, Luke 4:16, Acts 16:13, Exodus 20:8 (in Septuagint) Leviticus 23:37-38 (in Septuagint)?

67. If in Col 2:16, the lack of the definite article before the word "Sabbath" in the Greek proves it cannot refer to the weekly Sabbath, then why does the weekly Sabbath lack the definite article in Matthew 28:1, John 5:9, 10, 16?

69. If Hebrews 4 teaches we are to keep the weekly Sabbath, then why does the text say we are to enter a rest that none of the Jews at the time of Joshua in the promised land ever experienced in v 8?

70. If the Sabbath will endure forever because it is called "eternal" then won’t all the Jewish feasts and circumcision also endure because it is also called eternal in Gen 17:10-14 (same Hebrew word used)

71. If the Sabbath will endure forever because it is called "holy" then won’t all the Jewish feasts also endure forever because they are also called holy?

72. If the Sabbath will endure forever because God hallowed it, then won’t Solomon's temple Ps 65:4; 1 Ki 9:3 and the vessels in the tabernacle Ex 40:9; Num 31:6; 1 Ki 8:4 also endure forever because God hallowed them too?

73. If the Sabbath will endure forever because it was an eternal sign between God and his people, then shouldn’t we also still practice circumcision Gen 17:11 and Passover Ex 12:13 because it too is called an eternal sign between God and his people?

74. If it is only through the Sabbath that we can know that it is God who sanctifies us Ex 31:13, then what ever happened to faith in Christ sanctifying us? Any if we should therefore keep the Sabbath, then we must also build the tabernacle, for the Bible says through it we may know it is God who sanctifies us Ezel 37:28?

75. If the fact that the Sabbath is mentioned in the New Testament after Pentecost proves it is still in force, then does the mention of The Day of Pentecost Acts 2:1, The days of unleavened bread Acts 12:3; 20:6, Days of Purification: Acts 21:26, Animal Sacrifices: Acts 21:26, Circumcision: Acts 16:3, Temple worship: Acts 24:12 prove we must keep these too because they are also mentioned and must therefore also still be in force like the Sabbath?

76. If Seventh-day Adventists want to deny that their official position is that worshipping on Sunday is the Mark of the Beast, do they realize that the "inspired" Ellen G. White, Uriah Smith, the Advent review and Leo Schreven (who conducts "Revelation seminars" today) all call it the mark of the beast?

77. Christians can find 21 reasons why the first day of the week is significant to their faith as Christians in the New Testament. Can Sabbatarians find even one reason in the New Testament why the Sabbath has any meaning distinct to Christians?

78. Did you know that the Jewish Sabbath was significant to the Jews because it was a memoral of this present physical creation and their deliverance from the bondage of Egypt and that the first day of the week is a memorial of our new creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:7) and our deliverance from the bondage of sin. (Gal 4:4-5; Eph 1:7)

79. Did you know that regardless of whether the Sadducee’s or Pharisee’s method of calculating Pentecost was used the year Christ died, both would calculate Pentecost in Acts 2:1 as the first day of the week. Did you also know that the official position of the Seventh-day Adventist church was that Pentecost in Acts 2:1 fell on a Sunday that year?

80. Do you realize that the phrase, "that no collections be made when I come" in 1 Cor 16:2 proves the Christians were forbidden from saving up their offerings each week at home and demanded they put it into a common treasury every Sunday?

81. Did you know that 1 Cor 16:2 actually says, "EVERY 1st day" because the same Greek phrase is also found in Acts 13:14 "appointed elders in EVERY church". Did you know that you must give every 1st day of the week in to the church’s common treasury?

82. If Jesus died on Wednesday and rose on the Sabbath rather than a Friday - Sunday duration because you demand a full 72 hours in the grave, then why did Jesus count the Friday - Sunday duration as three days in Lk 13:32?

83. If Jesus died on Wednesday and rose on the Sabbath rather than a Friday - Sunday duration because you demand a full 72 hours in the grave, why is exactly a 72 hour period called 4 days by Peter in Acts 10:3+9+23+24+30?

84. If the fact that the 10 commandments were written in stone, that proves they will never be abolished, then where was Adam’s stone copy of the 10 commandments? Why did God not give Adam a stone copy once for all time? Why is it that Moses was first person in history to not only see the 10 commandments, but the first person to hold the stone tablets upon which the 10 commandments were written? Why do Seventh-day Adventists argue that the ten commandment law is no longer written in stone, but in the flesh of the human heart in 2 Corinthians 3:3? (Of course 2 Cor 3:3 says the 10 commandments were abolished and the new Covenant, the law of Christ is written on human hearts)

85. If only the 10 commandments we can "live", then why does Ezek 20:11 say this of the "ceremonial law", "I gave them My statutes and informed them of My ordinances, by which, if a man observes them, he will live." (Ezek 20:11)

Who are the Sabbath-keepers?

The main Sabbatarian faith groups (religious groups that currently worship on Saturday) are:

Branch Davidians (Students of the Seven Seals)
Church of God (7th Day)
House of God, a national Hebrew Pentecostal group.
House of Yahweh
Judaism
The Process - Church of the Final Judgment
Seventh Day Adventists, including dozens of breakaway sects
Seventh Day Baptists
Seventh-day Pentecostals

The Worldwide Church of God once observed the Sabbath on Saturday. However, after the death of founder Herbert W. Armstrong the practice was abandoned. A schism occurred, and most of the membership left, forming new faith groups.

United church of God

Triumph Prophetic Ministries (split from WCG in 1987, led by William Dankenbring)

Church of God, Seventh Day (this is the church that Herbert Armstrong split from.)

United Church of God (split from WCG in 1995, led by Les McCullough)

Church of God (recent split from United COG, led by David Hulme)

Global Church of God (split from WCG in 1992, led by Rod Meredith)

Philadelphia Church of God (split from WCG in 1989, led by Gerald Flurry)

Church of God, International (split from WCG in 1978, currently led by Charles Groce)

Christian Educational Ministries (split from COG,International in 1995, led by Ron Dart)

Intercontinental Church of God Garner Ted Armstrong Evangelistic Association (recently split from International, led by Garner Ted Armstrong)

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement