Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Judaizers

Author Topic: Judaizers
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I struggle with in regards to how we view the Mosaic law (which is the total sum of all laws given to Israel) is the view that the law was just there to expose our sin. Though it certainly does accomplish that, I am convinced that the law was there for men to obey. God was no less of a loving God in that day, and it was always His desire that men obey the law out of love and reverence and trust in His goodwill.

I think that the main issue with regards to the Mosaic law in light of the New Covenant is that there is not an observance of the minor details and a neglect of the "weightier matters" (faith, love, mercy, compassion, justice,etc.) Other than that, I do not know what to say.

With love in Christ, Daniel

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty [thumbsup2]
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gal 3:23
But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed.
Gal 3:24
Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25
But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.
Gal 3:26
For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
Gal 3:27
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
assumption:
#1. The word "law" in the NT is referring to Torah or the law of God
#2 Any mention of feasts or observances are speaking of the 7 feasts of God
#3. Jews are the only people who observes days, month, and years.
#4. Any negative comments Yeshua or Paul make are directed at the Jews.
#5. Israel is only those who come from the loins of Abraham.

Gal 4:8-10

"Nevertheless then, when you knew not God, you did service unto them which by nature are no gods. But now, after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how turn ye to the weak and beggerly elements, unto which ye desire again to be in bondage. Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years."

Who is our audience here that Paul is speaking to? The Gentiles, Not Jews. Paul here is NOT talking about Torah or The Feasts of God. Re-read this verse carefully and remember who is audience is.

If we read Romans 2: 14-15 The phrase "works of the law" discussed by Paul in the first 3 chapters includes Torah, BUT is not limited to Torah. Why? Because the Nations did not have Torah. The nations were accountable to their own law and their own works. Works of the law are ALL works and to gain salvation thru or by your own merit. If the Jews who have the Torah of God, return to Torah for the purpose of gaining or keeping their redeemption, then they are under the curse of the Torah.

If, however, the Gentiles return to the worldly system they left behind for the same reason, then they are Equally under the same curse.

The curse of the law is not the law itself, but our inability to keep it.

Nowhere, are the laws and instructions of God called "weak and beggarly" Torah is however incapable of delivering one from sin, because it was not designed to do so.

Weak and beggarly are 'asthenes and ptochos respectively in the Greek. These words are dominately translated as 'sick and poor' in the NT. The word elements here is the Greek word stoicheion. This word in its root form means "a way to walk". It is best used in Col 2:8

Here we see again the direct relationship between worldly philosophies, vain deciet, Traditions of Men, and the rudiments or elements of the world.

Here in our Galations text, we have no reference to the ways of the Creator as established and taught in the OT.

Although the Torah of God is not designed to atone for your sin, it is dramatically different from the "law" of the Gentiles in that it contains the issues of life.

The works of the law or our own works do not bless us, Only the Torah of God can do that (Duet 11:27)

In the Galations text, Paul is saying "I have delivered you from the sick and beggerly ways you used to walk, do not go back to your old ways. Once a person is free from bondage and can get up and stand, Torah then Teaches us how to walk.

Paul warns us in verse 9 not to desire to place yourself back in bondage again. The word bondage is the same word as servant.

Trusting in the Messiah and continuing in the word of His Father sets you free from sin. Nowhere is there Ever an intimation that the Messiah sets us free from the Torah. It is the Penalty of the Violation of Torah that the Messiah has set us free from.

Now I come to assumption #3. The accusation that the observance of days, months, and times and
years are "Jewish" observances. Why in an almost Pavlov way, do so many commentators jump to the conclusion that these are "Jewish" observances?"

Who is our audience here? The OT is full of warnings by God to stay away from astrologers, observers of times, and stargazers of the nations.

The Gentile culture relied heavily on their gods and the movements of celestial bodies to advise their lives and futures. Certain days, months were bad luck ect.. and these observances kept their followers in bondage to them.

This verse in Galations has nothing to do with the ordained beginning of months, times and years as given to us by our Creator from the very beginning.

I would like to know what it is that lives within us that drives usto accept the teaching that Yeshua made Obsolete the observances that His Father gave, but has NO problem with the pagan observances of days, months, times and years.

I would take it a step further. Why does the Christian religion teach that mans laws are for today, but Gods laws are not.

If Galations 4 is taken in the Context of ALL scripture, then the reference here is to Gentiles who have been delivered from their own works and are exorted not to go back to them or their 'gods' for deliverence.

Bondage is always in reference to SIN. Torah is never weak and beggarly, and all cultures observe their own days and months and times and years.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneinchrist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The footnotes in my bible for this verse in Matthew 5:17......................

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets, I did not come to destroy but to fulfill".

state the following...........

The negative imperative indicates that some people, disturbed by the teachings of Jesus, charged that He was abrogating the Law and the Prophets. However, He came to fulfill the OT in the sense of bringing to completion its partial revelation, in bringing to pass its messianic predictions, and in giving true interpretation to its moral precepts.

My bible footnotes for Matthew 5:20.........

"For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of Heaven".

state the following........

Entrance into the kingdom is by a righteousness of heart, not by a hypocritical or external legalism. Such righteousness is possible only through the Messiah's personal reign, which the Beatitudes presuppose to be active in those who accept Him.

Carol, I agree with you that if we desire to fulfill the law (of Christ), that what we need to be doing, is allowing the Holy Spirit to work in our lives.......especially when considering the higher standards of the moral law as layed out by Jesus.

When speaking of "obedience" we should be speaking of "obedience" in regards to the doctrine of Christ Jesus. I believe that when we truely commit our lives to following and obeying Jesus and His doctrine, that it is then, and only then that the Holy Ghost will actively become our helper..........

"And we are witnesses of these things, and so also is the Holy Ghost whom God hath given to them that obey Him".

Posts: 1389 | From: Wind Lake, WI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The moral laws are for everyone forever.

But the Old Testament laws about ceremonial purity, diet, and sacrifice were temporary. There is no middle ground. We have to make a choice between the earthly or the heavenly, the temporary or the eternal, the incomplete or the complete. Why not return to the temple but also practice the Christian faith? Why not “the best of both worlds”? Because that would be compromising and refusing to go “without the camp, bearing His reproach” (Heb. 13:13). So there is no middle way.

There is freedom to observe special days and diets if someone wants to, but believers are not to judge or condemn one another.

The believer’s sanctuary is in heaven. His Father is in heaven and his Saviour is in heaven. His citizenship is in heaven (Phil. 3:20) and his treasures should be in heaven (Matt. 6:19ff). And his hope is in heaven. The true believer walks by faith, not by sight.

In His death and resurrection Jesus fulfilled the Law. He bore the curse of the Law (Gal. 3:13). He fulfilled the Old Testament types and ceremonies so that they no longer are required of the people of God (see Heb. 9-10). He set aside the Old Covenant and brought in the New Covenant.

Jesus did not destroy the Law by fighting it; He destroyed it by fulfilling it! Perhaps an illustration will make this clear. If I have an acorn, I can destroy it in one of two ways. I can put it on a rock and smash it to bits with a hammer. Or, I can plant it in the ground and let it fulfill itself by becoming an oak tree.

When Jesus died, He rent the veil of the temple and opened the way into the holiest (Heb. 10:19). He broke down the wall that separated the Jews and Gentiles (Eph. 2:11-13). Because the Law was fulfilled in Christ, we no longer need temples made with hands (Acts 7:48ff) or religious rituals (Col. 2:10-13).

How can we fulfill the Law? By yielding to the Holy Spirit and allowing Him to work in our lives (Rom. 8:1-3).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Maybe I could be wrong about this.........but isnt there a big difference between a CUSTOM and a LAW? I could see where the Jews might become offended if they thought Paul was entertaining the idea that they forsake their customs. But in the case of the laws of God.........I could see where the Jews would consider someeone a heretic if they would dare entertain the idea of throwing out Gods laws.

All in all, I do not believe that the mode of salvation is different for the Jew or Gentile----that of entering the New Covenant by Grace through faith in Jesus...........but, at the same time, I do not believe that the establishment of the New Covenant automatically translates into a right to abolish any of Gods laws.

I would not say to a Jewish believer......"Cmon, its not a big deal if you eat swines flesh", and I would hope that a Jewish believer would not say to me...."Cmon, theres nothing wrong with having another woman on the side.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Jerusalem Church Misunderstood His Message (Acts 21:18-26)

Apparently that first meeting was devoted primarily to fellowship and personal matters, because the second meeting was given over to Paul’s personal report of his ministry to the Gentiles. The Jerusalem leaders had agreed years before that Paul should minister to the Gentiles (Gal. 2:7-10), and the elders rejoiced at what they heard. The phrase “declared particularly” means “reported in detail, item by item.” Paul gave a full and accurate account, not of what he had done, but of what the Lord had done through his ministry (see 1 Cor. 15:10).

You get the impression that the legalists had been working behind the scenes. No sooner had Paul finished his report than the elders brought up the rumors that were then being circulated about Paul among the Jewish Christians. It has well been said that, though a rumor doesn’t have a leg to stand on, it travels mighty fast!

What were his enemies saying about Paul? Almost the same things they said about Jesus and Stephen: he was teaching the Jews to forsake the laws and customs given by Moses and the fathers. They were not worried about what Paul taught the Gentile believers, because the relationship of the Gentiles to the Law had been settled at the Jerusalem Conference (Acts 15). In fact, the elders carefully rehearsed the matter (Acts 21:25), probably for the sake of Paul’s Gentile companions. The leaders were especially concerned that Paul’s presence in the city not cause division or disruption among the “thousands of Jews … zealous of the Law” (Acts 21:20).

But, why were so many believing Jews still clinging to the Law of Moses? Had they not read Romans and Galatians? Probably not, and even if they had, old customs are difficult to change. In fact, one day God would have to send a special letter to the Jews, the Epistle to the Hebrews, to explain the relationship between the Old and New Covenants. As Dr. Donald Grey Barnhouse used to say, “The Book of Hebrews was written to the Hebrews to tell them to stop being Hebrews!” It was not until the city and the temple were destroyed in A.D. 70 that traditional Jewish worship ceased.

Paul did warn the Gentiles not to get involved in the old Jewish religion (Gal. 4:1-11); but he nowhere told the Jews that it was wrong for them to practice their customs, so long as they did not trust in ceremony or make their customs a test of fellowship (Rom. 14:1-15:7). There was freedom to observe special days and diets, and believers were not to judge or condemn one another. The same grace that gave the Gentiles freedom to abstain also gave the Jews freedom to observe. All God asked was that they receive one another and not create problems or divisions.

It seems incredible that Paul’s enemies would accuse him of these things, for all the evidence was against them. Paul had Timothy circumcised before taking him along on that second missionary journey (Acts 16:1-3). Paul had taken a Jewish vow while in Corinth (Acts 18:18), and it was his custom not to offend the Jews in any way by deliberately violating their customs or the Law of Moses (1 Cor. 9:19-23). However, rumors are not usually based on fact, but thrive on half-truths, prejudices, and outright lies.

The leaders suggested that Paul demonstrate publicly his reverence for the Jewish Law. All they asked was that he identify himself with four men under a Nazarite vow (Num. 6), pay for their sacrifices, and be with them in the temple for their time of purification. He agreed to do it. If it had been a matter involving somebody’s personal salvation, you can be sure that Paul would never have cooperated; for that would have compromised his message of salvation by grace, through faith. But this was a matter of personal conviction on the part of Jewish believers who were given the freedom to accept or reject the customs.

Paul reported to the priest the next day and shared in the purification ceremony, but he himself did not take any vows. He and the men had to wait seven days and then offer the prescribed sacrifices. The whole plan appeared to be safe and wise, but it did not work. Instead of bringing peace, it caused an uproar; and Paul ended up a prisoner.

(Wiersbe)

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galatians 4:9 - 12 (NLT)
9 So now that you know God (or should I say, now that God knows you), why do you want to go back again and become slaves once more to the weak and useless spiritual principles of this world? 10 You are trying to earn favor with God by observing certain days or months or seasons or years. 11 I fear for you. Perhaps all my hard work with you was for nothing. 12 Dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to live as I do in freedom from these things, for I have become like you Gentiles—free from those laws .

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

A Jewish believer is a new creation - Jew and Gentile are one in Christ. We are the church.

The church is different from Israel.

Romans 11:28-29
28 Many of the people of Israel are now enemies of the Good News, and this benefits you Gentiles. Yet they are still the people he loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. 29 For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn.

The citizens of the millennium

a. Saved Israel.

(1) Israel will once again be related to God by marriage (Isa. 54:1-17; 62:2-8; Hosea 2:14-23).

(2) Israel will be exalted above the Gentiles (Isa. 14:1, 2; 49:22, 23; 60:14-17; 61:6, 7).

(3) Israel will become God’s witness during the millennium (Isa. 44:8; 61:6; 66:21; Jer. 16:19-21; Micah 5:7; Zeph. 3:20; Zech. 4:1-7; 8:3).

(4) Palestine will be greatly enlarged and changed (Isa. 26:15; Obad. 1:17-21). For the first time Israel will possess all the land promised to Abraham in Genesis 15:18-21.

b. Saved Old Testament and tribulation Gentiles (Isa. 2:4; 11:12; Rev. 5:9, 10).

c. The church (1 Cor. 6:2; 2 Tim. 2:12; Rev. 1:6; 2:26, 27; 3:21).

d. The elect angels (Heb. 12:22).

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol, being married as i am to a Jewish believer, believe me when i tell you, they take offense to anyone saying that God has "appointed them to a special status that Gentiles could never aspire to"

Also, remember it was "some" of the Jews that persecuted the Believing Jews. It was Nero who persecuted the Gentile and Jewish Believers.

Also, if you read Acts 21: 15-25 Paul "walked orderly and kept the law" verse 24 Here was Pauls prime opportunity if he felt under no obligation to keep the law and customs to say No. But he did not.

Keeping the Feast of the Lord is not about Salvation, its about obedience. And, they are NOT the "Jewish Feast", they Are Gods Feast.

They are shadows of things that were AND things that are to come. Three of them have yet to be fulfilled.

Obedience to God has nothing to do about being Jew or Gentile.

What plans would you say that God has yet for Israel to be fulfilled?

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

In my bible footnotes for Isaiah chapter 65 it states that verse 1 & 2 is God calling to two different peoples............

Gentiles(verse 1)--I was sought by those who did not ask for Me; I was found by those who did not seek Me. I said, 'Here I am, here I am,' TO A NATION THAT WAS NOT CALLED BY MY NAME.

Israel(verse 2-4)--I have stretched out My hands all day long to a REBELLIOUS PEOPLE, who walk in a way that is not good, According to thier own thoughts; A people who provoke Me to anger continually to My face; Who sacrifice in gardens, And burn incense on altars of brick; Who sit among the graves, And spend the night in tombs; WHO EAT SWINES FLESH, And the broth of abominable things is in their vessels;

This interpretation seems to parallel with Paul in Romans chapter 10 vs. 20-21

20 But Isaiah is very bold and says;

" I was found by those who did not seek Me; I was manifest to those who did not ask for Me."

21 But to ISRAEL he says;

"All day long I have stretched out My hands to a disobedient and contrary people."

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Yes, I believe that God's moral laws were taught by God and given to Israel. Salvation comes from the Jews (John 4:22). But I don't think that the new Christians attended synagogue as you said they might have. The Jews persecuted Christians. Paul attended because he wanted to teach. The new Christians learned from church leaders, like Paul.

I think that God has appointed Jews to a special status that Gentiles can never aspire to. I have tremendous respect for the Jewish people, but I can never be one. In Christ we are a new creation under a New Covenant. The church is different from Israel, and God has plans for Israel yet to be fulfilled.

The statement “I must by all means keep this feast that cometh in Jerusalem” (Acts 18:21) must not be interpreted to mean that Paul and the early Christians felt obligated to observe the Jewish feasts (see Acts 20:16). Being in Jerusalem during the important feasts (in this case, Passover) would give Paul opportunity to meet and witness to key Jewish leaders from throughout the Roman Empire. He would also be able to minister to Christian Jews who returned to their homeland.

Paul taught clearly that the observing of religious feasts was neither a means of salvation nor an essential for sanctification (Gal. 4:1-11). Christians are at liberty to follow their own conscience so long as they do not judge others or cause others to stumble (Rom. 14:1-15:7).

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Carol, wouldnt you say that the Gentiles coming into the faith learned of the moral attributes of God and what was expected of them being God-followers from the Scriptures that was read at that time? Namely the Torah/Tenach? Acts 15:21 Wasnt this what Paul taught from, for there was no new canon scripture at that time. The Jewish Moral Traditions come straight from the Torah. Im not talking about the Oral Law, but the Written Torah of Yahweh.

Also, if we as the "church" will be ruling and reigning with Him, and the Feasts will still be practice as holy convocations which the Lord said was to be forever, dont you think the "Church" needs to practice them now? Or at the very least, throw out their traditions that are mixed with paganism brought forth from the Roman Catholic Church?

Actually, to be honest with you, I believe God only has ONE called out people, in the end, when He comes back to rule and reign, Everyone here will be subject to the same laws, Feasts Days, ect,

becauseHeLives, I agree with you. Pauls teachings were the same as Yeshuas teachings.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

The Seven Laws of Noah

(Hebrew: שבע מצוות בני נח‎ Sheva mitzvot B'nei Noach), often referred to as the Noahide Laws , are a set of seven moral imperatives that, according to the Talmud, were given by God to Noah as a binding set of laws for all mankind .

According to Judaism any non-Jew who lives according to these laws is regarded as a Righteous Gentile and is assured of a place in the world to come (Olam Haba), the Jewish concept of heaven.

Adherents are often called "B'nei Noach" (Children of Noah) or "Noahides" and may often network in Jewish synagogues.

The seven laws listed by the Tosefta and the Talmud are:

1.Prohibition of Idolatry: You shall not have any idols before God.
2.Prohibition of Murder: You shall not murder. (Genesis 9:6)
3.Prohibition of Theft: You shall not steal.
4.Prohibition of Sexual Promiscuity: You shall not commit any of a series of sexual prohibitions, which include adultery, incest, bestiality and male homosexual intercourse.
5.Prohibition of Blasphemy: You shall not blaspheme God's name.
6.Dietary Law: Do not eat flesh taken from an animal while it is still alive. (Genesis 9:4)
7.Requirement to have just Laws: You shall set up an effective judiciary to enforce the preceding six laws fairly.

The Noahide Laws were predated by six laws given to Adam in the Garden of Eden. Later at the Revelation at Sinai the Seven Laws of Noah were regiven to humanity and embedded in the 613 Laws given to the Children of Israel along with the Ten Commandments, which are part of, and not separate from, the 613 mitzvot . These laws are mentioned in the Torah. According to Judaism, the 613 mitzvot or "commandments" given in the written Torah, as well as their reasonings in the oral Torah, were only issued to the Jews and are therefore binding only upon them, having inherited the obligation from their ancestors. At the same time, at Mount Sinai, the Children of Israel (i.e. the Children of Jacob, i.e. the Israelites) were given the obligation to teach other nations the embedded Noahide Laws .

It is actually forbidden by the Talmud for non-Jews on whom the Noahide Laws are still binding, to elevate their observance to the Torah's mitzvot as the Jews do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahide_Laws

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:

16Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven.

17Do not think that I have come to do away with or undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.

18For truly I tell you, until the sky and earth pass away and perish, not one smallest letter nor one little hook [identifying certain Hebrew letters] will pass from the Law until all things [it foreshadows] are accomplished.

19Whoever then breaks or does away with or relaxes one of the least [important] of these commandments and teaches men so shall be called least [important] in the kingdom of heaven, but he who practices them and teaches others to do so shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

In my opinion Yahshua is the final authority on interpretation of all scripture....

Paul's teachings are all the same teachings of Yahshua....

LAW

GOD LEGISLATES, AND DEMANDS OBEDIENCE

Moses summoned all Israel and said: Hear, O Israel, the decrees and laws I declare in your hearing today. Learn them and be sure to follow them.

DEUTERONOMY 5:1

Man was not created autonomous, that is, free to be a law to himself, but theonomous, that is, bound to keep the law of his Maker. This was no hardship, for God had so constructed him that grateful obedience would have brought him highest happiness; duty and delight would have coincided, as they did in Jesus (John 4:34; cf. Pss. 112:1; 119:14, 16, 47-48, 97-113, 127-128, 163-167). The fallen human heart dislikes God’s law, both because it is a law and because it is God’s; those who know Christ, however, find not only that they love the law and want to keep it, out of gratitude for grace (Rom. 7:18-22; 12:1-2), but also that the Holy Spirit leads them into a degree of obedience, starting with the heart, that was never theirs before (Rom. 7:6; 8:4-6; Heb. 10:16).

God’s moral law is abundantly set forth in Scripture , the Decalogue (the Ten Commandments), other Mosaic statutes, sermons by the prophets, the teaching of Jesus, and the New Testament letters. It reflects his holy character and his purposes for created human beings . God commands the behavior that he loves to see and forbids that which offends him. Jesus summarizes the moral law in the two great commandments, love your God and love your neighbor (Matt. 22:37-40), on which, he says, all the Old Testament moral instructions “hang” (depend). The moral teaching of Christ and his apostles is the old law deepened and reapplied to new circumstances—life in the kingdom of God, where the Savior reigns, and in the post-Pentecost era of the Spirit, where God’s people are called to live heaven’s life among themselves and to be God’s counterculture in the world.

Biblical law is of various sorts. Moral laws command personal and community behavior that is always our duty . The political laws of the Old Testament applied principles of the moral law to Israel’s national situation when Israel was a church-state, God’s people on earth. The Old Testament laws about ceremonial purity, diet, and sacrifice were temporary enactments for instructional purposes which the New Testament cancels (Matt. 15:20; Mark 7:15-19; 1 Tim. 4:3-5; Heb. 10:1-14, 13:9-10) because their symbolic meaning had been fulfilled . The juxtaposing of moral, judicial, and ritual law in the Mosaic books carried the message that life under God is to be seen and lived not compartmentally but as a many-sided unity, and also that God’s authority as legislator gave equal force to the entire code. However, the laws were of different kinds, with different purposes, and the political and ceremonial laws were of limited application, and it seems clear both from the immediate context and from the rest of his teaching that Jesus’ affirmation of the unchanging universal force of God’s law relates to the moral law as such (Matt. 5:17-19; cf. Luke 16:16-17).

God requires the total obedience of each total person to the total implications of his law as given. It binds “the whole man... unto entire obedience for ever”; “it is spiritual, and so reacheth the understanding, will, affections, and all other powers of the soul as well as the words, works, and gestures” (in other words, desiring must be right as well as doings, and Pharisaic externality is not enough: Matt. 15:7-8; 23:25-28); and the corollaries of the law are part of its content—“where a duty is commanded, the contrary sin is forbidden; and, where a sin is forbidden, the contrary duty is commanded”

(Concise Theology)

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
Originally posted by yahsway:
Carol, you are right, But the New world is not until after Yeshua rules on this one for 1000years.

The central portion of the land around Jerusalem will be set apart for religion and government. This is where our King will rule from.

And the nations will flow to it. All the nations will go up to observe the Feasts, not just the Jews. It will be a wonderful time with Him.

Yes, it will be a wonderful time with Him. No more crime, no more pollution, etc. Meaningful work to do in His service. Best of all, He will be near. I can hardly wait!

During the Millennium Christ and His church will reign over the nations of the earth, and Israel will enjoy the blessings promised by the prophets (see Isa. 2:1-5; 4:1-6; 11:1-9; 12:1-6; 30:18-26; 35:1-10).

The church is different from the nations and from Israel.

Paul explains the mystery—the Gentile believers are now united to the Jewish believers in one body, the church (Eph. 3:6).

The mystery of the church was not known to the OT prophets.

(In the New Testament, a mystery is not something eerie or inscrutable, but rather a truth that was hidden by God in times past and is now revealed to those who are in His family.)

quote:
The Jerusalem council specified only minimal requirements, with the expectation that other Moral attributes would be acquired later, possibly as a result of Gentiles attending synagogue service and learning there the Jewish Moral tradition.
I think that the Gentiles learned moral attributes from Paul, Timothy, and other church leaders, and from the indwelling Holy Spirit.
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

16Let your light so shine before men that they may see your moral excellence and your praiseworthy, noble, and good deeds and recognize and honor and praise and glorify your Father Who is in heaven.

17Do not think that I have come to do away with or undo the Law or the Prophets; I have come not to do away with or undo but to complete and fulfill them.

18For truly I tell you, until the sky and earth pass away and perish, not one smallest letter nor one little hook [identifying certain Hebrew letters] will pass from the Law until all things [it foreshadows] are accomplished.

19Whoever then breaks or does away with or relaxes one of the least [important] of these commandments and teaches men so shall be called least [important] in the kingdom of heaven, but he who practices them and teaches others to do so shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

In my opinion Yahshua is the final authority on interpretation of all scripture....

Paul's teachings are all the same teachings of Yahshua....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Hi Daniel, no. i have the nkjv but not "spirit filled?" Anyways, to answer your question more fully, The 4 prohabitions set forth by the Jerusalem council was a variant of the Noachide laws, presented in the Talmud as what God has required of all mankind since the days of Noah, before "Jew" and "Gentile" were defined.

The Jerusalem council specified only minimal requirements, with the expectation that other Moral attributes would be acquired later, possibly as a result of Gentiles attending synagogue service and learning there the Jewish Moral tradition.

The requirements were only secondarily ethical. they were primarily practical Social requirements for fellowship between Jewish and Gentile Believers. A Gentile who did not immediately observe all 4 prohabitions would so offend his Jewish brothers in the faith that a spirit of community would never be able to develop.

Remember that the word "Gentile" in those days had a much different meaning than it does today. It meant "Pagan, Heathen". And most of the Gentiles in those days worshiped many gods, committed sexual acts with temple prostitutes, offered up animal/human sacrifices to their gods, drank blood in ceremonies, ect...

Israel was never permitted to join with the Gentiles, but the Gentiles could join themselves with Israel as long as they followed the same laws. So you are right about the 4 requirements being given as not only fellowship with the Believing Jews, but Fellowship with God as well.

Even Peter, some 60 years after Yeshua went to heaven, did not fellowship with the Gentiles. Not until God gave him a vision, and that was to call no MAN unclean. God was opening the doors of salvation to the Gentiles, As James put it, God was taking out of the "Goyim", The Gentiles, a people to Bear His Name.

We read in Acts 15:19 The "Gentiles who are turning or better said "while they are turning to God" and turning from what? They were turning away from idolatry and pagan ways.

Fornication, any form of sexual immorality. In the 1st century pagan world, sexual unions outside of marriage were regarded very lightly, along with homosexual behavior, temple prostitution ect.. In Judaism, on the other hand, these were abominations (Lev 18)

As well as sacrifices offered up to idols ect...

In verse 28 of Acts 15 it reads

For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us....

The Jerusalem council recognizes the Fact that these Gentile believers, men of the uncircumcision, were being saved thru the Power of the Holy Spirit, so James recognizes that it is circumcision of Heart, not flesh, and that "No greater burden was to be laid upon them", That burden being, having them Circumcised in the
flesh.

So the Holy Spirits part in the decision of the Council, was simply that the Holy Spirit was falling on the Gentiles, The council recognizes this, and sets forth the same Noahide laws for the Gentiles to become part of the believing community, without being circumcised in the flesh.

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi Yahsway,
Do you have the Spirit-filled New King James version bible? It seems like the interpretation that you offer is similar to the one given in the footnotes of that particular bible. I will say that I am not convinced that the bible is clear on that(Gentile fellowship with Jews) being the reason for the Holy Spirit issuing those 4 warnings. I do not see how the fact that Moses was preached in the synogogues(of Gentiles also) proves the point that "fellowship with the Jews" is the main concern of the Holy Ghost in giving out the warnings. Personally, I think it may have more to do with fellowship with God, in general.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Carol, you are right, But the New world is not until after Yeshua rules on this one for 1000years.

The central portion of the land around Jerusalem will be set apart for religion and government. This is where our King will rule from.

And the nations will flow to it. All the nations will go up to observe the Feasts, not just the Jews. It will be a wonderful time with Him.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Daniel, maybe i can answer. The 4 requirements was for fellowship with the Believing Jews.

Acts 15:21 basically says for these Gentiles can learn the rest of the Torah being preached in every city on the Sabbath.

The Jerusalem council did not just stop at those 4 requirments. They were basic ones in which the Gentiles and Jews could fellowship together.

hope that helps

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

Hi becauseHElives,
I read your above post and I am left sort of confused. Why would the Holy Spirit have revealed only 4 things(contained in the law) that the Gentiles would do well to abstain from if it was imperative that Genitiles observe the law in its entirety?

Those verses from the book of Isaiah, that you referenced, have me puzzled, to say the least.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Ezekiel goes into great detail regarding the matter of worshiping in the Temple, even pointing out that the sacrificial systems will be reestablished. These sacrifices during the millennial Kingdom will be to the nation of Israel what the Lord's Supper is to the Church today: a reminder of what they have been saved from. No meritorious or efficacious work will be accomplished through these sacrifices. Instead, they will remind Israel repeatedly of the crucified Messiah, just as the Passover Feast reminded the nation of Israel for centuries that God had delivered them by blood from the land of Pharaoh.

In the New World there will be no Temple, and no death.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Good post becauseHeLives. Might I add that i have a list of Protestant Confessions on the Sabbath i will add just a few here.

First from a Catholic:
Bishop Seymour on "Why we Keep Sunday"

"We have made the CHANGE from the seventh day to the first day of the week, from Saturday to Sunday, on the AUTHORITY of the one holy Catholic Church".

Dewight L. Moody:

"The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This 4th commandment begins with the words 'remember', showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote the law on the tables of stone at Siani. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other 9 are binding?"

John Wesley:

"But, the moral law contained in the 10 commandments, and enforced by the prophets, He (Christ) did not take away. It was not the design of His coming to revoke any part of this. This is a law that never can be broken. Every part of this law must remain in force upon ALL mankind, and in ALL ages; as not depending either on time or place, or any other circumstances liable to change, but on the nature of God and the nature of man, and their unchangable relation to each other."

Alexander Campbell:

"But, say some, it was changed from the 7th to the first day. Where? When? And by whom? No man can tell. NO; it never was changed, nor could it be, unless creation was to be gone thru again; for the reason assigned must be changed before the observance, or respect to the reason, can be changed! It is all old wives fables to talk of the change of the Sabbath from the 7th to the 1st day. If it be changed, it was that August personage changed it who changes times and laws EX OFFICIO-I think his name is Doctor AntiChrist."

Martin Luther:

"They (Roman Catholics) refer to the Sabbath Day, as having been changed into the Lords day, contrary to the Decalogue, as it seems. Neither is there any example wherof they make more of concerning the changing of the Sabbath Day. Great, say they, id the POWER of the Church, since it has dispensed with one of the 10 commandments!"

I have more, but i must get ready for work. Thought you might like reading what some of our Church Fathers had to say on the matter of the Sabbath. Shalom!

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spiritual Sabbath of the Christian believer

(Heb. 4:1-11)

Hebrews 4 brings together God’s creation rest (v. 4) and Israel’s Canaan rest (v. 8) to teach us about the spiritual rest that believers have in Christ (vv. 9-11). When you trust Jesus Christ, you enter the “new creation” (2 Cor. 5:17) and into His spiritual rest (Matt. 11:28-30). You also enter into the spiritual inheritance He gives all who trust Him (Acts 20:32; Eph. 1:18; Col. 1:12). Believers are not under bondage to keep the Law (Gal. 5:1) because the Holy Spirit fulfills the righteousness of the Law in us as we yield to Him (Rom. 8:1-3).

The first Christian believers met daily for worship and fellowship (Acts 2:46), but they also gathered together on the first day of the week, the day of Christ’s resurrection from the dead (John 20:19, 26; Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 16:2). The first day was known as “the Lord’s day” (Rev. 1:10); and to make the Lord’s Day into a “Christian Sabbath” is to confuse what these two days stand for in God’s plan of salvation.

The seventh day of the week, the Jewish Sabbath, symbolizes the old creation and the covenant of law: first you work, then you rest. The first day of the week, the Lord’s day, symbolizes the New Creation and the Covenant of Grace: first you believe in Christ and find rest, and then you work (Eph. 2:8-10). In the New Creation, God’s Spirit enables us to make the entire week an experience of worship, praise, and service to the glory of God.

The Jewish Sabbath law was fulfilled by Christ on the cross and is no longer binding on God’s people (Gal. 4:1-11; Col. 2:16-17). However, some believers may choose to honor the Sabbath Day “as unto the Lord,” and Christians are not to judge or condemn one another in this matter. When good and godly people disagree on matters of conscience, they must practice love and mutual acceptance and grant one another liberty (Rom. 14:1–15:7). “Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink [the dietary laws], or regarding a festival or a new moon [the Jewish feasts] or Sabbaths” (Col. 2:16, NKJV).

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Gal 3:4-11

Here the Gentiles who have accepted circumcision have less ground for boasting than Paul, who list his external qualifications, 7 of them in ascending order, only to dismiss them as not merely neutral but a disadvantage in comparison with the supreme value of knowing the Messiah Yeshua as My Lord, indeed as garbage (dung) so Far as their usefulness for Attaining righteouness from God is concerned. Remember Paul said the Law was holy, just and good and we do NOT make Void(do away with) the law thru our faith. Paul said Roman 3:31 "Certainly Not! On the contrary we establish the Law.

Gal 3:7-8 Paul does not mean that all the deeds which he did as a non-believing Jew were contemptuous, but rather his Pride in them he now regards as contemptuous.

And that Pride in the keeping of the law fro righteousness is what is called "legalism". Legalism is the exact opposite of trust.

Instead of letting the Torah, as a whole, speak for itself(2:19) and thus guide Behavior, Legalism selects one verse, takes it out of context, and elevates it above the rest of the Torah, so that it replaces the Torah as the ultimate authority. It becomes a canon within the canon.

The verse is indeed part of the Torah and therefore has Gods authority behind it, but only provided that it is understood along with and in relation to the rest of the Torah. By being removed from the modifying effects of the rest of the Torah, it becomes the basis for heresy. The heresy called "Legalism".

The heresies based on Scripture verses taken out of context are beyond number, and the misery they cause is beyond measure.

The heresy of legalism, when applied to the Torah says that anyone who does these things, that is, anyone who mechanically follows the rules for Shabbat, kosher eating ect... will attain life thru them, will be saved, will enter the Kingdom of God, will obtain eternal life.

No need to trust in God, just obey the rules! The problem with this simplistic ladder to heaven is that legalism convieniently ignores the "RULE" that Trust must underlie all rule following which God finds acceptable.

But trust necessarily converts mere rule following into something altogether different, in fact, into its opposite, genuine faithfulness to God. Therefore, legalistic obedience to Torah commands (that is, works of law) is actually DISOBEDIENCE to the Torah!

One could obey every single law there is in the Torah, but if these things are done without heartfelt trust in God who is there, the Only God there is, the God who sent His Son Yeshua to be the atonement for sin, then all the outward "obedience" is hateful to God (Is 1:14) and the person doing it is a "legalist".

He "Lives under a curse" because he is Not "DOING everything written in the Scroll of the Torah"(v10) He is NOT "doing" the TRUST which should MOTIVATE ALL DOING"

Gal 5:1 This Freedom consist in a life of Trust, Faithfulness, and love and produces good fruit because it is empowered by the INDWELLING of the Holy Spirit, With the OLD Nature put to death (Not the Law).

The life of "Legalisim" produces ALL kinds of sin because it is controlled by the OLD NATURE.

In Judaism, the Yoke of the Law is regarded as Joyful to bear. and if the Torah is Understood as requiring First of all Trusting Faithfulness, then as Yeshua put it, "My Yoke" the yoke of obedience to the Torahs True meaning, as upheld by the Messiah, "is easy, My burden is light".

In Romans 7:4 "You have been made dead with regard to Torah. It is NOT the Torah that has been made dead(abrogated), nor is a Believer made dead in the sense of no longer responding to its truth. Rather, he has been made dead not to all the Torah, but to 3 aspects of it.

#1. Its capacity to stir up sin in him
#2 its capacity to produce irremediable guilt feelings and #3 its penalties, punishments and curses.

The capacity of the Torah to make us sin is not a fault in the Torah, but rather a Fault in ourselves. A healthy person thrives in an environment deadly to someone who is ill. likewise, the Torah, beneficial to a believer living by Faith, is an instrument od death to those controlled by their Sinful Nature.

The Torah can still produce Guilt feelings in a Believer, as it rightly should whenever he contemplates how his behavior falls short of the standard of God sets in the Torah. But the remedy is once and for all trust in Yeshua the Messiahs final atonement for SIN. followed by ongoing confession of and repentance from sins and reliance on nthe power of the Holy Spirit.

It is thru the Messiahs body, thru His atoning death, that believers have been made dead to the Penalties set forth by the Torah for disobeying it. The Messiah redeemed us from the Curse pronounced in the Torah by becoming cursed on our behalf.

We have been released from the 3 aspects of the Torah i mentioned above, in the old way of outwardly following the letter of the law. And clearly, if the Torah has been written in the hearts of believers they are Not released from Every aspect of it.

More on the Olive Tree when I get a chance Shalom

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol SAID...
quote:
All of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Testament epistles for the Christian to observe except, “Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy.”
The coming Kingdom of Yahweh

Many are the web sites and books that are out there teaching about prophecy. It seems that everyone has their own opinion about the events that are taking place in this world as it relates to prophecy. I just wish that more people would pay attention to what the coming Kingdom will be like!

When the day of Yahweh comes, it will come as a shock to millions:

Isaiah 66:15-24 For behold, Yahweh will come with fire And with His chariots, like a whirlwind, To render His anger with fury, And His rebuke with flames of fire. 16 For by fire and by His sword Yahweh will judge all flesh; And the slain of Yahweh shall be many. 17 "Those who sanctify themselves and purify themselves, To go to the gardens After an idol in the midst, Eating swine's flesh and the abomination and the mouse, Shall be consumed together," says Yahweh. 18 " For I know their works and their thoughts. It shall be that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come and see My glory. 19 "I will set a sign among them; and those among them who escape I will send to the nations: to Tarshish and Pul and Lud, who draw the bow, and Tubal and Javan, to the coastlands afar off who have not heard My fame nor seen My glory. And they shall declare My glory among the Gentiles. 20 "Then they shall bring all your brethren for an offering to Yahweh out of all nations, on horses and in chariots and in litters, on mules and on camels, to My holy mountain Jerusalem," says Yahweh, "as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of Yahweh. 21 "And I will also take some of them for priests and Levites," says Yahweh. 22 " For as the new heavens and the new earth Which I will make shall remain before Me," says Yahweh, "So shall your descendants and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass That from one New Moon to another, And from one Sabbath to another, All flesh shall come to worship before Me," says Yahweh. 24 "And they shall go forth and look Upon the corpses of the men Who have transgressed against Me. For their worm does not die, And their fire is not quenched. They shall be an abhorrence to all flesh."

Here it speaks of people gathering to worship Yahweh on the New Moon and Sabbath. Some have said these things are abolished. If it is abolished, how can this be so? It says that some will taken as priests and Levites. It also speaks of Yahweh destroying all those who eat swine's flesh just before His coming Kingdom. If it were abolished now, why would it be reinstated in Yahweh's kingdom? If eating pork is ok to do now, why then is Yahweh destroying those who do? The answer must be that the law never really was abolished. In fact, the kingdom of Yahweh will be ruled by it:

Isaiah 2:2-5 - And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of Yahweh's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. 3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of Yahweh, to the house of the Elohim of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of Yahweh from Jerusalem. 4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

More verses:

Zechariah 14:12-21 And this shall be the plague with which Yahweh will strike all the people who fought against Jerusalem: Their flesh shall dissolve while they stand on their feet, Their eyes shall dissolve in their sockets, And their tongues shall dissolve in their mouths. 13 It shall come to pass in that day That a great panic from Yahweh will be among them. Everyone will seize the hand of his neighbor, And raise his hand against his neighbor's hand; 14 Judah also will fight at Jerusalem. And the wealth of all the surrounding nations Shall be gathered together: Gold, silver, and apparel in great abundance. 15 Such also shall be the plague On the horse and the mule, On the camel and the donkey, And on all the cattle that will be in those camps. So shall this plague be. 16 And it shall come to pass that everyone who is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall go up from year to year to worship the King, Yahweh of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 17 And it shall be that whichever of the families of the earth do not come up to Jerusalem to worship the King, Yahweh of hosts, on them there will be no rain. 18 If the family of Egypt will not come up and enter in, they shall have no rain; they shall receive the plague with which Yahweh strikes the nations who do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt and the punishment of all the nations that do not come up to keep the Feast of Tabernacles. 20 In that day "HOLINESS TO YAHWEH" shall be engraved on the bells of the horses. The pots in Yahweh's house shall be like the bowls before the altar. 21 Yes, every pot in Jerusalem and Judah shall be holiness to Yahweh of hosts. Everyone who sacrifices shall come and take them and cook in them. In that day there shall no longer be a Canaanite in the house of Yahweh of hosts.

It is obvious that this scripture has not yet been fulfilled. Now to this I ask every man, "Why are people observing the Feast of Tabernacles if this has all been abolished?". When Yahweh's Kingdom is established and He rules over all the earth, His will is going to be done "on earth, as it is in heaven." This being the case, we see that the feast days are going to be kept and we see that all Gentiles will be expected to keep them. If the feast days really were only for Israel, why would Yahweh punish the Gentiles who refuse to keep the Feast of Tabernacles? I think it's high time that we start doing the will of Yahweh now. After all, how can we be rulers in His kingdom if we don't seek to adhere to the rules of the kingdom?

You might also have noticed that sacrifices are mentioned in verse 21. To this I also ask, "Why is it speaking of the altar and sacrifices coming back if this has all been abolished?" Now it is evident from scripture that we are not to do this without a priesthood in place. At this time our High Priest is reigning from heaven and there is no established priesthood on earth. But when there is an established priesthood on earth, sacrifices will indeed be returning. This may seem bizarre to the average Christian, but it is often missed that Paul himself went into the temple to make sacrifices:

Acts 21:26 - Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

Acts 24:17 - Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings.

Paul was there with four other brethren who had taken a Nazarite vow. The offerings mentioned were related to the Nazarite vow mentioned in Numbers 6. The entire reason Paul was there was to prove to false accusers that he kept the law of Yahweh. And it was James who suggested he do it. I don't believe Paul or any of the disciples were liars or pretenders. They were Torah observant believers in Yahushua even as we should seek to be.

It is also predicted in the book of Ezekiel:

Ezekiel 37:21-27 - "Then say to them, `Thus says Yahweh Elohim: "Surely I will take the children of Israel from among the nations, wherever they have gone, and will gather them from every side and bring them into their own land; "and I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king over them all; they shall no longer be two nations, nor shall they ever be divided into two kingdoms again. "They shall not defile themselves anymore with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions; but I will deliver them from all their dwelling places in which they have sinned, and will cleanse them. Then they shall be My people, and I will be their Elohim. "David My servant [shall] [be] king over them, and they shall all have one shepherd; they shall also walk in My judgments and observe My statutes, and do them.
"Then they shall dwell in the land that I have given to Jacob My servant, where your fathers dwelt; and they shall dwell there, they, their children, and their children's children, forever; and My servant David [shall] [be] their prince forever. "Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them, and it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; I will establish them and multiply them, and I will set My sanctuary in their midst forevermore. "My tabernacle also shall be with them; indeed I will be their Elohim, and they shall be My people.

Following this chapter of Ezekiel begins a vision of a future kingdom of Yahweh that has never been fulfilled. It speaks here about the House of Judah and the House of Israel being united into one kingdom. This all leads into the remaining chapters of Ezekiel which go into GREAT detail about what the coming kingdom of Yahweh will be like. It talks a lot about sacrifices and feasts. Here is one example of where it speaks of the Passover:

Ezekiel 45:21-24 - "In the first [month], on the fourteenth day of the month, you shall observe the Passover, a feast of seven days; unleavened bread shall be eaten. "And on that day the prince shall prepare for himself and for all the people of the land a bull [for] a sin offering. "On the seven days of the feast he shall prepare a burnt offering to Yahweh, seven bulls and seven rams without blemish, daily for seven days, and a kid of the goats daily [for] a sin offering. "And he shall prepare a grain offering of one ephah for each bull and one ephah for each ram, together with a hin of oil for each ephah.

Note here that there is no Passover Lamb! We know that Yahushua is our Passover Lamb (1Corinthians 5:7). So sacrifices will still be offered, but they will be done in somewhat different ways than the way described in the law of Moses. Some of these verses in the latter chapters of Ezekiel mirror passages found in the book of Revelation. For instance:

Ezekiel 47:12 - "Along the bank of the river, on this side and that, will grow all kinds of trees used for food; their leaves will not wither, and their fruit will not fail. They will bear fruit every month, because their water flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for medicine."

Revelation 22:2 - In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

Taking all these scriptures into consideration, it is very clear that the Law was never abolished or taken away. Some may try to say, "Well, Yahweh gave the law, then took it away the law for a time and then He brought it back again". This is absurd! Not only that, it is unscriptural. He is the same yesterday, today and forever. He does not change (Mal. 3:6). Also, consider:

Colossians 2:16-17 - Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body (is) of the Messiah.

The Torah/Law that we observe ARE a shadow of things to come. Not WERE (As some might say). The Torah will be kept in the Kingdom of Yahweh, no doubt about it. This is why when I keep the Feast of Tabernacles this year, that will foreshadow the coming Kingdom in which all flesh will be forced to observe it. For anyone to judge me for keeping it, they need to take a closer look at scripture because these things are commanded to be kept. Sadly, men have adopted the festivals of pagans (Christmas and Easter for instance) and incorporated them into their worship instead. And oh yes, about these verses in Colossians? Notice the word "(is)" which is in parenthesis. This means the word was added to the text by the translators. Therefore this scripture is speaking literally of the "Body of the Messiah". Now if you read it as it stands it would say...Let no man judge you therefore in meat, drink, etc....which are shadow of things to come, but the body of the Messiah. In other words, we SHOULD be keeping these things just as we will be keeping these things in the wonderful Kingdom of Yahweh. Read a more detailed study of Colossians 2 here. When the day of Yahweh comes, those who sought to keep Yahweh's commandments will be revealed as people who sought to walk in the ways of the kingdom. The true things concerning this kingdom have been ignored for too long.

Acts 8:12 - But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of Elohim, and the name of Yahushua Messiah, they were baptized, both men and women.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

quote:
Let me say this, Paul DID NOT regard Israel and the Church as Different groups.
Yes he did.

Romans 11

The olive tree (vv. 16b-24)

This is a symbol of the nation of Israel (Jer. 11:16-17; Hosea 14:4-6). Please keep in mind that Paul was not discussing the relationship of individual believers to God, but the place of Israel in the plan of God. The roots of the tree support the tree; again, this was a symbol of the patriarchs who founded the nation. God made His covenants with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and He cannot deny them or change them. Thus, it is God’s promise to Abraham that sustains Israel even today.

Many of the Jewish people did not believe. Paul pictured them as branches broken off the tree. But he saw an amazing thing taking place: other branches were grafted into the tree to share in the life of the tree. These branches were the Gentiles. In Romans 11:24, Paul described this “grafting in” as “contrary to nature.” Usually a cultivated branch is grafted into a wild tree and shares its life without producing its poor fruit. But in this case, it was the “wild branch” (the Gentiles) that was grafted into the good tree! “Salvation is of the Jews” (John 4:22).

To say that the olive tree, with its natural and grafted branches, is a picture of the church would be a great mistake. In the church, “there is no difference”; believers are “all one in Christ Jesus” (Gal. 3:28) . God does not look on the members of Christ’s body and see them as Jews or Gentiles. The olive tree illustrates the relationship between Jew and Gentile in the program of God. The “breaking off of the branches” is the equivalent of “the fall” (Rom. 11:11), “the diminishing” (Rom. 11:12), and “the casting away” (Rom. 11:15). To read into this illustration the matter of the eternal destiny of the individual believer is to abuse the truth Paul was seeking to communicate.

Paul warned the Gentiles that they were obligated to Israel, and therefore they dared not boast of their new spiritual position (Rom. 11:18-21). The Gentiles entered into God’s plan because of faith, and not because of anything good they had done. Paul was discussing the Gentiles collectively, and not the individual experience of one believer or another.

It is worth noting that, according to Bible prophecy, the professing Gentile church will be “cut off” because of apostasy. First Timothy 4 and 2 Timothy 3, along with 2 Thessalonians 2, all indicate that the professing church in the last days will depart from the faith. There is no hope for the apostate church, but there is hope for apostate Israel! Why? Because of the roots of the olive tree. God will keep His promises to the patriarchs, but God will break off the Gentiles because of their unbelief.

No matter how far Israel may stray from the truth of God, the roots are still good. God is still the “God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob” (Ex. 3:6; Matt. 22:23). He will keep His promises to these patriarchs. This means that the olive tree will flourish again!

God’s timing (v. 25).

What has happened to Israel is all a part of God’s plan, and He knows what He is doing. The blinding (or hardening, Rom. 11:7) of Israel as a nation is neither total nor final: it is partial and temporary. How long will it last? “Until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in” (Rom. 11:25). There is a “fullness” for Israel (Rom. 11:12) and for the Gentiles. Today, God in His grace is visiting the Gentiles and taking out a people for His name (Acts 15:12-14). Individual Jews are being saved, of course; but this present age is primarily a time when God is visiting the Gentiles and building His church. When this present age has run its course, and the fullness of the Gentiles has come in, then God will once more deal with the nation of Israel .

Romans 11:25 is one of several “until verses” in the Bible, all of which are important. Read Matthew 23:32-39; Luke 21:24; and Psalm 110:1 for other references. It is reassuring that God knows what time it is and that He is never late in fulfilling His will.

God’s promise (v. 26).

The reference here is Isaiah 59:20-21; and you ought to read Isaiah 60 to complete the picture. God has promised to save His people, and He will keep His promise. There are those who interpret this as meaning salvation to individuals through the Gospel, but it is my conviction that the prophet has national conversion in mind. “All Israel shall be saved” does not mean that every Jew who has ever lived will be converted, but that the Jews living when the Redeemer returns will see Him, receive Him, and be saved. Zechariah 12-13 give the details. It seems to me that there are too many details in these Old Testament prophecies of national restoration for Israel for us to spiritualize them and apply them to the church today.

quote:
Paul was an observant Jewish Pharisee Believer in Yeshua. He never taught against the Laws of God. He did teach that the Laws alone do not save, for that was not the purpose of the Law. But He never taught against obeying them.
We died to the law.

Philippians 3:4 - 11 (NLT)
4 though I could have confidence in my own effort if anyone could. Indeed, if others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more! 5 I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am a pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin—a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. 6 I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault.

7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ 9 and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 10 I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, 11 so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!

Galatians 3:4 - 14 (NLT)
4 Have you experienced so much for nothing? Surely it was not in vain, was it? 5 I ask you again, does God give you the Holy Spirit and work miracles among you because you obey the law? Of course not! It is because you believe the message you heard about Christ. 6 In the same way, “Abraham believed God, and God counted him as righteous because of his faith.” 7 The real children of Abraham, then, are those who put their faith in God. 8 What’s more, the Scriptures looked forward to this time when God would declare the Gentiles to be righteous because of their faith. God proclaimed this good news to Abraham long ago when he said, “All nations will be blessed through you.” 9 So all who put their faith in Christ share the same blessing Abraham received because of his faith.

10 But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.” 11 So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.” 12 This way of faith is very different from the way of law, which says, “It is through obeying the law that a person has life.” 13 But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” 14 Through Christ Jesus, God has blessed the Gentiles with the same blessing he promised to Abraham, so that we who are believers might receive the promised Holy Spirit through faith.

Galatians 5:1 (NLT)
So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.

Christians and the Law
Romans 7

Something in human nature makes us want to go to extremes, a weakness from which Christians are not wholly free. “Since we are saved by grace,” some argue, “we are free to live as we please,” which is the extreme of license.

“But we cannot ignore God’s Law,” others argue. “We are saved by grace, to be sure; but we must live under Law if we are to please God.” This is the extreme expression of legalism.

Paul answered the first group in Romans 6; the second group he answered in Romans 7. The word law is used twenty-three times in this chapter. In Romans 6, Paul told us how to stop doing bad things; in Romans 7 he told how not to do good things. “You were not justified by keeping the Law,” he argued, “and you cannot be sanctified by keeping the Law.”

We died to the Law, and it no longer has dominion over us. But we are not “lawless”; we are united to Christ, sharing His life, and thus walking “in newness of life.”

Christ has set us free from both the curse and the bondage of the Law (Gal. 3:13; 5:1). But the righteousness of the Law is still a revelation of the holiness of God, and the Holy Spirit enables us to practice that righteousness in our daily lives (Rom. 8:1-4). All of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Testament epistles for the Christian to observe except, “Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy.”

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Let me say this, Paul DID NOT regard Israel and the Church as Different groups.

In fact, the sequence of "Jew first, then Gentile" is dictated by the fact that the New Covenant was made with Israel, that is, with the Jewish people.

The Gentiles coming into the faith, were never a part of the Old Covenant. They are brought into this New Covenant made with Israel. They are the ones "not of this fold" being called into this New Covenant made with Israel, being now a part of the commonwealth of Israel.

No one should ever divide Gods camp into physical and spiritual Israel for there is but ONE Israel of God.

Notice "the Law was powerless because of "Sinful Natured Men. It was that sinful nature, NOT the Law that was bad.

Some claim that the "Gentile Church" has a seperate Covenant from that of Israel". However, there is no scriptual record of the Almighty ever making a New Covenant with the Gentiles. Instead, as promised, when Yeshua made His New Covenant, He made it with the children of Israel.

Jer 31:31-33

As to dividing the Israel into "physical and spiritual" camps, we recall Yeshuas words "An hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth.

Paul put it this way. 1900 years ago, Paul said the "former" Gentiles were excluded from the commonwealth of Israel. "But now", he said, in Messiah Yeshua you are no more strangers and aliens", but are Fellow Citizens. Paul said to the non-Jewish Believers of his day: "You are no longer outsiders, exiles, migrants, and aliens. excluded from the rights of citizens.

But now, you share citizenship with Gods own people.

Restated, they are no more heathen, but are "Of Israel"

Also, if one lives by the Spirit, then those laws are written on their hearts. Also, concerning Sabbath and the observance of it, all the early Church observed it for some 300 years after Christ returned to heaven. Also the Feasts of the Lord as well.

It was the Roman Catholic Church that changed all of the Lords commands concerning His Feast days ect...They say they can do it. They say the Pope represents Jesus on earth. They make no bones about it.

And by the way, if you are a protestant, according to the Roman Catholic church, you are considered an "erring brother of the faith" But if you are a Muslim, you are considered, by their new Catachesim, a brother in the faith.

Hmm, does anyone get the picture here? We have moved so far away from what the origonal church looked and acted like. Its no wonder the scriptures say we have inherited lies from our fathers.

No one teaches that the Law was NEVER meant to save anyone in the first place. No one teaches about the Oral Torah verses the Written Torah. No wonder Pauls words were twisted and hard to understand.

Righteousness has always been by Faith. Yeshua came to pay the debt for sin, not to do away with the Laws of His Father, but to do away with the sin of man. He even said if we loved Him we would keep (meaning to observe) His commandments. And Yeshua Never taught against God Commandments as laid out in the written Torah. He did however teach against the hypocrisy of the Priests in His day who taught by Oral Torah, Traditions of men, building fences around Gods laws.

Paul was an observant Jewish Pharisee Believer in Yeshua. He never taught against the Laws of God. He did teach that the Laws alone do not save, for that was not the purpose of the Law. But He never taught against obeying them.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Related to Paul’s view about the ministry of the Spirit generally, and the leading of the Spirit in particular, is his understanding of the role and function of the law in the experience of salvation. When Paul referred to the law, he usually meant the stipulations and guidelines for behavior that were given to Israel by God through Moses. These stipulations are contained primarily in the first five books of the Old Testament (Genesis-Deuteronomy) though they were repeated and adapted in later Old Testament writings.

A significant question for early Christians concerned to what extent, if any, these stipulations to Israel applied to them as well, particularly since the Bible they read and studied was the Old Testament. Though portions of the New Testament seem to support those who wish to continue living in accord with the Old Testament laws (e.g., passages in Matthew and James, along with some recorded events in Acts), these letters of Paul have a different emphasis.

An instructive passage in this regard is in Galatians where he wrote, “If you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law” (5:18). Since Paul viewed all Christians as led by the Spirit (Rom. 8:14-15), it follows that he did not believe the stipulations of the law applied to them. This conclusion might be denied on the grounds that a qualification of some sort needs to be attached to Paul’s statement about not being under law, such as “you are not under the Law’s condemnation” or “you are not under a legalistic misinterpretation of the Law.” While qualifications such as these are not unreasonable interpretations of Paul’s view, they suffer from the fact that they are not qualifications Paul himself made.

When, for example, the apostle addressed this issue in Romans, he began by saying, “Do you not know brothers—for I am speaking to men who know the law—that the law has authority over a man only as long as he lives?” (7:1). Does Paul mean to say, “I am speaking to people who know that the condemnation of the Law has authority over a man only as long as he lives” or that “the legalistic misinterpretation of the Law has authority over a man only as long as he lives”? Few would think so. Yet a few verses later in this passage Paul said, “You also died to the law” (v. 4) and “by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code” (v. 6).

Paul made a similar sort of contrast with regard to faith in Christ and observance of the law. To the Galatians he wrote, “the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law” (Gal. 3:24-25). And to the Romans he said, “Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes” (Rom. 10:4).5-19

One should not conclude that Paul saw the Old Testament and its stipulations as an irrelevant body of revelation. On the contrary, the law served to showcase human sinfulness, recognition of which is an essential first step in responding to the gospel. As he told the Romans, “through the law we become conscious of sin” (3:20). He also saw the church as the people of God as analogous to Israel in many respects, so that the successes and failures of Israel are instructive for the church (e.g., Rom. 15:4; 1 Cor. 10:1-10).

Yet Paul regarded Israel and the church as different groups. The old covenant, epitomized by the Mosaic legislation, was made with Israel (2 Cor. 3:12-14). For Christians, the old covenant has been superseded by the new covenant instituted by Christ (1 Cor. 11:25-26). This did not mean there was no continuity between the covenants. Paul cited four of the Ten Commandments, for example (Rom. 13:9), and parallels to a further five could be made. But the observance of the Sabbath (Ex. 20:8-11), is never applied to the church. To the contrary, Paul made it clear that observance of particular days was a matter of individual conscience (Rom. 14:5-6).

This does not mean that the new covenant contains no stipulations. The letters of Paul, in fact, included many commands. But when Paul told the Corinthians that “circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing. Keeping God’s commands is what counts” (1 Cor. 7:19), this statement makes sense only in light of the new covenant superseding the stipulations of the old covenant (Gen. 17:14). The work of Christ and the ministry of the Spirit are the heart of the superiority of the new covenant. As Paul told the Romans, “what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son … in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit” (Rom. 8:3-4).

(A Biblical Theology of the New Testament)

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Amen yahsway , Daniel [thumbsup2] [Prayer] [Bible] [Cross]

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

you are right Daniel, also, the Jerusalem council said in Acts 15:21 that while these Gentiles are turning to God, , do not put obstacles in the way of the Gentiles while they are going thru the process of turning from idolatry to God.

Instead, let them use their spiritual energy in repentance. There will be plenty of opportunities later for them to absorb what Moses has to say.

In other words, Let these Gentiles enter the Messianic Community without becoming Jews by Circumcision, and don't be troubles over it, because no matter where these Gentiles believers live, they will continue visiting the local synagogue and hearing what Judaism teaches about living a Godly life.

These Gentiles turning to God were not just given the 4 Noahide laws but were also expected to go and hear the Torah which was "being read in the synagogues every sabbath" Acts 15:21.

Those "Judaizers" mentioned believed that the Gentiles turning to God needed to observe both the Written AND the Oral Torah.

But this goes beyond the requirements for individual salvation set forth in the Tanakh (Old Test), in Judaism or by the emissaries.

The Tanakh says, and Peter quotes it at 2:21, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"

Judaism teaches that to be saved Gentiles need only obey the Noahide Laws. And the New Test books of Romans, Galations, Ephesians have as a central issue the equality of Jews and Gentiles before God, insofar as salvation is concerned.

The real issue faced was this: can faith in God and His Messiah transcend Jewish Culture? Can a Gentile become a Christian without also becoming a Jew?

It is one of the supreme ironies of life on this planet that the issue Today has become precisely the opposite:

Can a Jew become a follower of Yeshua the Messiah without becoming a Goy (Gentile)?

It is assumed that when a Jew accepts Yeshua, he abandons his people, adopts a Gentile lifestyle and is lost to the Jewish community. While some Jews have done exactly that, the very existence of the early Messianic Jewish communities proclaimed from the beginning that it did not have to be so.

Why in the past did many of the Jewish believers, in practice, leave their people? Because in the 4th century, When Roman Emperor Constantine converted to Christianity and the Gentile-dominated church gained Political power, it began to Require Jews who accepted Yeshua as the Messiah to give up ALL ties with Judaism, whether Jewish practice, Jewish customs, and Jewish friends and family.

During most of the last 1500 years a Jewish believer in Yeshua had to take on Gentile Religious and Cultural ways., first because the Jewish community excluded him, and 2nd because of Christendom's social pressure and Distaste for Jewish ways.

Concerning the latter it is as if men from Rome came down and began teaching the Jewish brothers, "Unless you Totally ignore your circumcision the manner prescribed by Moses, you cannot be saved."

Much of the church continues to insist on this view, unscriptural though it is, basing their opinion on isolated passages misinterpreted , particurlly ep 2:11-15 1Cor 10:31 and Gal3:28.

The correct conclusion is this: A Jew who becomes a Messianic remains a Jew. and a Gentile who becomes a Christian remains a Gentile.

It is not Only that those believers from Judea wanted the Gentile believers circumcised, BUT they wanted it done in accordance with the Oral Law. Circumcision by itself is not enough for them, they wanted it done in a specific way, in the Manner prescribed by Moses.

The Written Torah speciifies hardly anything about the "Manner" in which Jewish circumcision is to be done.

Even today, if a Jew is circumcised in some other way, for example, as is common today, in a hospital by a doctor before the 8th day, it is null and void in their books.

Some Jews take the view that Christianity has been made an "easy" religion that requires only "mere" faith, whereas Judaism is a Meaty and tough religion that demands action.

But the objection misses the point altogether. And that point is this, What has God required?

God has required Both Jew and Gentiles to trust Him, obey Him, and follow Him thru His Messiah Yeshua. Such obedience and trust and day by day are not easy. such faith is not "Mere" Faith, it too Demands Action (Matt 3:8, Eph 2:10 James 2:19-20)

oneinchrist
Advanced Member
Member # 6532

I do not believe that the Apostles took out the list of old rules and said......."which ones do we think that we should keep?"
James stated "It seemed good to us and to the Holy Ghost" which means that there was Holy Spirit answer given to them when they went to the Lord in prayer concerning this matter.

The book of Revelation appears to substantiate that claim in that Jesus Himself sounds off the same two warnings---against idolotry and sexual immorality.

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Judaizers refers to those who teach the necessity of obedience to the Torah Laws by Christians, which is normally considered a requisite only for the followers of Judaism, the parent religion of Christianity. Similarly, "one who has Judaized" refers to a Christian who has accepted the necessity of adhering to the Torah Laws. The ongoing debate over Judaizing in Christianity, which began in the lifetime of the apostles, reflects the contemporaneous debate within Judaism as to the place of Gentiles with regard to the Law of Moses.

Distinct uses of the term "Judaizers" include:

1. Adherence by Gentile Christians to the Torah Laws originally given to the Israelites (i.e. the 613 Laws given to Israel at Sinai). That Gentile Christians should convert to Judaism and obey the Laws of Moses was the assumption of some in the Early Church, represented by Pharisees who had become believers in Acts 15 (Acts 15:5). This was the Jewish Christian version of the opinion within Judaism that Gentiles should convert to Judaism in order to be right with God. This opinion is traced by some scholars to a faction within early Christianity after the crucifixion of Jesus led by Jesus' brother James the Just (though compare Acts 15:24).

Paul opposed this position, with a Jewish Christian version of the opposite opinion in Judaism that Gentiles did not need to convert and obey the Law of Moses. This conflict between Paul and his opponents was the reason for the Council of Jerusalem (see Acts 15:1-35). Here James, Paul, and the other leaders of the early Christian movement agreed that Gentile converts needed only to follow the "three exceptions" (Acts 15:20,29; counted by some as four), laws that roughly coincide with Judaism's Seven Laws of Noah said to be established by God for all humankind (see also Genesis 9:1-17). This Apostolic Decree, still observed by the Orthodox Church, is similar to that adopted by Rabbinic Judaism, which teaches that Gentiles need only follow the Noachide Laws to be assured of a place in the World to Come.

2. Adherence by Gentile Christians to Torah Laws intended for Gentiles. The "three exceptions" resolved by the Council of Acts 15 indicate that the apostles accepted that those portions of the Law of Moses (the Torah) intended for Gentiles (later known as the Laws of Noah) would apply to Gentile Christians.

Extra-Biblical evidence shows that, at least in some areas (especially in the East), this included observances beyond the three exceptions, such as a Christianized form of Passover, Day of Atonement, and Sabbath.

But other Gentile Christian communities (especially in the West), evolved in an increasingly anti-Jewish direction that interpreted Paul's teaching to mean that all Torah Laws are redundant "now that Salvation by Faith is available thru Jesus' atoning death". From this latter point of view, any practice associated with Judaism came to be seen as a rejection of God's salvific gift, even the prohibition of blood which is listed among the "three exceptions" in Acts 15 (though the prohibition of blood was only rejected in the Western Church and not until the Middle Ages).

The prohibitions against fornication and idolatry are still observed by most Christian denominations even though they originated as Jewish law.

3. Continuance of observance of Torah by Jews who have (willingly or forcibly) converted to Christianity. This behavior was particularly persecuted between 1300 and 1800 under the Spanish and Portuguese Inquisitions, using as a basis the many references in the Pauline epistles regarding the "Law as a curse" and the futility of relying on the Law for attaining salvation, known as legalism. Thus, in spite of Paul's agreement at the Council of Jerusalem, Gentile Christianity came to understand that any Torah Laws (with the exception of the Ten Commandments and Natural Law) were anathema, not only to Gentile Christians but even to Christians of Jewish extraction. Under the Inquisition, the penalty to a converted Jew for "Judaizing" was usually death by burning.

More generally, then, the term "Judaizing" has come to refer to following any mixture of Jewish traditions or laws, by a Christian (whether of Gentile or Jewish extraction). The term should not be confused with "Conversion to Judaism" (i.e. conversion away from Christianity and into Judaism). Rather, Judaizer remains a term associated with Christianity and the question of adherence to Torah Laws.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement