Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Christians and Halloween

Author Topic: Christians and Halloween
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humn. That sounds like the best. I am touched over the concept because of what it accomplishes.

I really do have a distaste for halloween. I have to override my distaste in order to dare to condone anyone's cooprating with it; but it is not necessarily wise to be a hard azz about it, which is so easy to be (especially for some). But since I am a creative individual, and since HE gives us faith, I believe that there can be positive results. We are however to be careful to diminish it in the eyes of the innocent. In other words, to be sober about it, recognizing it for what it is, and as much as possible, pointing out a better way.

I am reminded of something really out of the ordinary. There is a brother out there who had such compassion for the lost that he would go into night clubs, and (with permission from the owners) preach to the attraction. Girls got saved because he did this. But who would think of doing it? HE is Arthur Blessitt.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetone
Community Member
Member # 7310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
both are good ideas.....last year i took my two youngest grandkids to a senior citizens home...they trick or treated at each room and then they had cookies and punch for the kids....the kids liked it...and the seniors loved it!....
Posts: 12 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweetone,

I like you, too [hug] . I am bad about speaking my mind, but I do try to be honest. At my daughter's Church to keep their children safe the parents bring their cars with the trunks filled with candy and kids go trick or treating from trunk to trunk.
Last year we lived in Washington State. We had a carnival at our Church and invited the neighbor children for hot dogs games and we gave the children candy. This was a good way to introduce people to our Church. The children had a good time and we adults got to visit with one another, too. My kids are grown but we went to help out.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremiah333
Advanced Member
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremiah333   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Betty Louise:
I do not think it is a sin to go trick or treating.
I am 56 years old and back when I was a kid, we kids at my Church went trick or treating. Halloween is not about worshiping witches but about fun for kids. By the way we got Easter Baskets too.
We were taught that Easter was important because of Jesus and that is the most important thing. People are getting too legalistic.
betty

Goodness no, it is not a sin to go trick or treating, lol.

Whatever anyone does on October 31st is between them and God.

Hopefully a person make a decision about what to do that day logically and prayerfully. It is up to each person to do whatever they think is right.

--------------------
JoAnne's Prayer Closet

Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetone
Community Member
Member # 7310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
exactly how i feel....and right to the point Betty Louise....i think i'm going to like you! :-)
Posts: 12 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think it is a sin to go trick or treating.
I am 56 years old and back when I was a kid, we kids at my Church went trick or treating. Halloween is not about worshiping witches but about fun for kids. By the way we got Easter Baskets too.
We were taught that Easter was important because of Jesus and that is the most important thing. People are getting too legalistic.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetone
Community Member
Member # 7310

Michael..thank you for your input...what do you say to a 6 yr. old that wants to put on her Dora costume and go trick-or-treating?
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
swee tone! I am like you. I do not see the need to be judgmental. But we have to recognize wrong as wrong. Halloween is wrong. Eventually perhaps, you will discover. However, I have considered what it may be like if kids dressed up with angel wings, and halos and passed out tracts while they received candy. I also have considered that people could carry crosses on their back. It would not encourage halloween in my opinion, but rather take advantage of the opportunity to express to people who might not ever set foot in church, or otherwise consider what wonderful message we all share in. After all, Jesus said:

• Joh 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

If in humility we are able to bring someone to consider, what great worth it hath! In fact the door may be opened to speak. That is all out! For Paul said:

• 1Co 9:19 For though I be free from all men, yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.
  • 1Co 9:20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
  • 1Co 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
  • 1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
  • 1Co 9:23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.
For we will not be, in every case, received by reigning judgment upon someone. Instead, we cause them to withdraw.

• 1Co 9:22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetone
Community Member
Member # 7310

i am new here,have never posted, just come and read and try to learn..and i have learned alot,even about things i have never put a thought to.....but...kids know nothing of halloween except it is a time to dress up and get candy..you can see it in their eyes..the excitement and delight...there is nothing devilish or unholy there..and i just dont see God looking at them and being upset!....it is like the movie Harry Potter
that some Christians wouldnt allow their kids to go see because it supposedly condoned witchcraft....it is fantasy and pretend, like most movies..so many 'unreligious'people perceive Christians as being stuffy,reserved,thinking they are above others,and having no fun....i feel that if Christians, (and i am trying very hard to be one,) want to bring others to Jesus, then they need to see that being Christian isnt all fire and brimstone, that one can still be themselves,have fun, and still glorify God, which makes your life so much better......not sure if i expressed myself well enough, but....just my thoughts

Jeremiah333
Advanced Member
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremiah333   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Betty Louise:
I don't celebrate Halloween as much as I give out candy and children's Christian tracks to children.
betty

I agree with this.

I also agree with you about Christmas. We do not do the "santa" thing. We do celebrate the birth of Jesus. We acknowledge that we don't know the day of Jesus birth, but do choose this day to celebrate.

Of course, we don't do the "easter bunny" thing either. We do choose to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus on that day.

Actually, any day is a good day to celebrate Christ, and we do. There are some days that it is easier to talk about Christ to the unsaved. We take advantage of those holidays to talk to family and friends about Jesus.

--------------------
JoAnne's Prayer Closet

Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grams
Advanced Member
Member # 5169

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do not celebrate either.
All though we did, before we became saved.

Also did not know that Jesus was probley
born Sept. 29.......
Did not know that either!

--------------------
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
[ WARNING: EXPOSURE TO THE SON MAY PREVENT BURNING. ]

Posts: 57 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

I see the Christmas fun has started early this year. Reminds me, I need to see if my "Idol" made the move to Houston. You know how ALL of us Christians pray to the Christmas tree!!!! [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Seriously, we celebrate Jesus at Christmas and as long as God doesn't convict me of it, I won't let people discourage me.
Christians need to remind Americans that Jesus is the reasons for the season.
betty

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have nothing to do with the barren unprofitable deeds of darkness, but, instead of that, set your faces against them; Ephesians 5:11

this would also include the sacred cow of most Christian's "Christmass"....

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

I don't celebrate Halloween as much as I give out candy and children's Christian tracks to children.
betty

--------------------

Jeremiah333
Advanced Member
Member # 7372

How do you all feel about halloween? Should Christians celebrate it?

--------------------
JoAnne's Prayer Closet

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement