Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Watchman Nee got it right! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Watchman Nee got it right!
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus walks it out. We follow. But here is the thing: Righteousness is a person. It is not 'some thing' that we have. It cannot be separated from the Person of Jesus. Therefore, if we have righteousness, we have Jesus, in person. Is that passive? No! It is very very active, for Jesus is active. But our bridge to this is faith. Jesus doesn't live in doubt.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Harrison:
[Bible]

quote:
It is not that Jesus was made sin, but that the penalty of sin was now imputed to Jesus. Likewise, it is not that we are now made righteous, but that righteousness is imputed to us, no matter "how much" righteousness we manage to achieve in this life.

If we change the word 'righteousness' to Jesus, then we have the understanding. For Jesus is righteousness. So, is Jesus imputed to you? This goes beyond 'putting something on your ledger'. Jesus doesn't write something on a tablet (wherever it is kept). He writes on our heart. He writes "Jesus." Amen!!! Therefore, righteousness is 'imputed' to us if Jesus is written on the heart!!!! Righteousness is not a quality. It is a person, without which we are 'dead' in unrighteousness by being 'alive' to self.

• Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

• Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

• 2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Here again, if we think of righteousness as a quality, then we think of it as something we 'acheive'. But to acheive, implies our 'working' to acheive. But we don't 'work' to acheive. We believe, to acheive.

[Bible]

Yes Yashua's righteousness is imparted onto us, but where to go from there?

Is it a passive righteousness?

Is it to be locked up and guarded in our heart/soul not to be released?

Or is it a righteousness that has to be walked out, lived, made a reality to be seen and experienced?

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like all this talk of universialism really got us off track HERE huh! [pound]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ephesians 1:18-19a
I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Bible]

quote:
It is not that Jesus was made sin, but that the penalty of sin was now imputed to Jesus. Likewise, it is not that we are now made righteous, but that righteousness is imputed to us, no matter "how much" righteousness we manage to achieve in this life.

If we change the word 'righteousness' to Jesus, then we have the understanding. For Jesus is righteousness. So, is Jesus imputed to you? This goes beyond 'putting something on your ledger'. Jesus doesn't write something on a tablet (wherever it is kept). He writes on our heart. He writes "Jesus." Amen!!! Therefore, righteousness is 'imputed' to us if Jesus is written on the heart!!!! Righteousness is not a quality. It is a person, without which we are 'dead' in unrighteousness by being 'alive' to self.

• Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

• Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

• 2Co 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

Here again, if we think of righteousness as a quality, then we think of it as something we 'acheive'. But to acheive, implies our 'working' to acheive. But we don't 'work' to acheive. We believe, to acheive.

[Bible]

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also merely a matter of imputation. Jesus was made sin for us, so that we might be made the righteousness of Jesus.

When all is said and done, no one can attain to the glory and righteousness that Jesus had and it will still be an imputation.

To "impute" means to "put into someone else's ledger". Jesus received the penalty of sin, and I receive the righteousness that Jesus had, no matter how good or how awful I turn out to be at "becoming somewhat more righteous" in this lifetime as a believer.

In the end, the righteousness that I can achieve, with the help of the Holy Spirit, will still fall far short of the glory that Jesus had, so in the end, it will still all be an imputation of righteousness.

love, Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"holiness, victorious living, zeal, love for God and man — everything — is merely part of God’s free gift, when He gave us Jesus, “who of God is made unto us wisdom, righteousness, and sanctification and (final) redemption”

"What a gospel, that we self­lovers can be changed into the image of the Self-giver by the simple means of daring to accept the fact that He is and will be just Himself in us!"

WOW! [thumbsup2]

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

[Prayer] Perhaps you will hear from Norman Grubb?

quote:
True Discipleship

By Norman Grubb

We have no right to divide Christians into two categories the saved and the sanctified, the average and the ardent, the believer and the follower. Jesus did not, nor did Paul. Jesus simply presented those who thronged Him with one standard, that was all: for conduct, the Sermon on the Mount; for cost, “whosoever he be that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple”.

Paul made no distinction between the justified and the sanctified. Having said in Romans 5 that the justified by faith have peace with God, He said to the same believers in the next chapter, “Know ye not, that so many of you as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death....likewise reckon yourselves dead indeed unto sin ... yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.” C. T. Studd, the founder of the Worldwide Evangelization Crusade, always preached that same full gospel to the rawest primitive Africans turning to Christ, and demanded the highest from the newest.

How can it be otherwise? What is the gospel but the entry of Deity into redeemed humanity. Christ beginning to live His own life in a purified heart; and Christ lives a self-giving life, and nothing else. We don’t therefore believe that there is real evidence of a new birth, unless it is seen in the new life. The center has changed from self-interest to Christ-interest, and that means to world-interest.

I accepted Christ as a young man of nineteen. I did not know much, certainly nothing of the kind of thing I am now saying. But I im­mediately knew that a basic change of heart and outlook had taken place. There was Someone I had begun to love more than myself! What we love we talk of. “What fills the heart wags the tongue”, as C. T. Studd said, and I couldn’t help telling my college friends of this new reality in my life. “If that is Christianity,” one, who is now a bishop, said to me, “then I have never had it”. Exactly. It was different, though put crudely and ignorantly.

I had lots of battles to fight and adjustments to make. I argued and resisted when the holy Ghost put His finger on things, but in the end I always gave in. Of course I did; a greater thing I had taken over and compelled me.

I didn’t even know about Christ living in me, so I tried plenty to live by my own strength. In that sense I had to come to a crisis, when I received by faith the fact of being crucified with Christ and Him living in me (Galatians 2:20), and received the witness in my heart. But that was in reality no new thing; it was a deeper discovery of the One already there!

Then all these years, as lie led, I followed, and when He took me in ways of self-abandonment, I went with him. And that is all discipleship is! Then what about those church members, who maybe appear to us to be so lethargic—the “once-ers” on Sunday and that is about all; no missionary vision; no zeal to witness or for the prayer meeting? We must be careful about judging others; our zeal so greatly outruns our love. We are better channels of God’s grace by hopefully loving and believing that He is at work in them as He is in us, and that what He seeks He finds. But one thing we can and must do is preach “the whole counsel of God”. If we hew to the line in presenting Jesus as the One who lives His life of holiness, sacrifice, love, zeal to win others, missionary responsibility in us as the good news of free grace (Christ for us, Christ in us, Christ through us) from the first day a person is saved; if we uphold this inevitable consequence of Jesus in us, both in ourselves and our fellow believers; if our church fellowship is taught to see this in the scriptures as the normal Christian life, and the possibility of this being so in each of us because it is not we that live like this, but Christ in us; then that kind of gospel will surely be explosive as in New Testament days. The flesh will hate it, the Spirit will line up with it. Churches that line up may well have revolution before they have revival—which may be the healthiest thing.

Of course all who are called “sell all”. How can they do less for Him who did that for them, and who is now in them living that same standard of life through them? Of course they will lose their lives and find them over again in the lives redeemed through them. Those “lost lives” may mean thirty glorious years in the kitchen, at a printing press, at an office desk, or in the toil and heat of a tropical land. The way God takes them on this “selling all” road is His business.

Thank God there are many thousands in church fellowships and house groups in our land, in whom a self-giving, sacrificing, world-loving Savior lives and functions; and it is from them that the young men and women come, constrained by love that has utterly conquered them, who make up a Crusade like this, and many other such dedicated groups.

Let many more come, for there is endless room in endless needy areas of the world; while others of you equally live out Christ’s life in your home environments, yet you too share in the battle in distant lands by prayer and sacrifice. And where there are laggards—those we are tempted to judge because of coldness of heart and nominal church membership —let us love them and seek to sit where they sit, and understand and enter into what is damming up the free flow of the love of God through them. So often we shall find that it is a wrong concept of the gospel, and often we preach­ers are responsible. People think they have to be holy, zealous, victorious, alive with love to God and man; and because they are not (and never will be!) they have given up and sunk down to just a sort of passive adherence to religion. They have to be retaught that holiness, victorious living, zeal, love for God and man — everything — is merely part of God’s free gift, when He gave us Jesus, “who of God is made unto us wisdom, righteousness, and sanctification and (final) redemption”. Judgment demands, love gives. Let us give ourselves in love to such and they will learn the givingness of God.

Is there not a cross, a stripping in discipleship? Yes, but as God does the stripping, He puts glory into the hurt — and that makes all the difference. “The glory of the cross”. As C. T. Studd said: “Paul loved the music of the cross”. “Who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross”. Come on now, let us step right into the full implication of the gospel, Christ eternally living His own life in us and by us, and His life is forever self-giving for others. What a gospel, that we self­lovers can be changed into the image of the Self-giver by the simple means of daring to accept the fact that He is and will be just Himself in us!

Source --> http://www.normangrubb.com/Articles/TrueDiscipleship.htm

Do you see how this message was tailored Michael?
Just for you [and YOU, whoever you are!]?

God Loves you THAT much! [thumbsup2]

--------------------

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say this affecionately, but you are a kook. You have gone beyond the will of God.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
Therefore it is not one is Holy as they yeild to Jesus for Life. One is Holy because He is Holy and we've received His Life.
How do you know that?

Could it be by 'faith'?

"Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

"Oh ye of little faith!"

One yields to Christ by faith. That means that they believe what they hear. But one, even though a believer is not necessarily yielded to Christ, by faith. Yielded! For:

"Whatsoever is 'not' of faith is sin." (Rom 14:23)

And are you not making a mistake? Do you not act as though there is 'no' participation? Or do you not rather participate by faith? Do you 'assume' that this is a gift that you receive anyway, perhaps even in spite of yourself? Evidently you do participate by faith, because you 'believe' that you are saved. Or do you 'assume' this to be so by simple self-election, without any participation of faith involved. To assume is a kind of faith. ALbeit, it is a perverted faith, not an humble faith, but one worthy of a tare. It is not a surrendering faith, but taking for granted.

1 Cor 4:7 "What do you have that you did not receive? Now if thou didst receive it, why do you glory as if thou didst not receive it?"

But did you receive it without faith?
2 Cor 5:7 "For we walk by 'faith', not by sight".

If we walk by faith, we receive by faith. If we abide in Him it will be by faith. If we are Holy, it can only only be by faith. If anything comes from God, it will be by faith. So if He says something, and we believe it, then by faith, we have it - because we do not have it otherwise. Else He would not have died on the cross, for HE would not have needed to, since we were 'already' saved, and faith would not be necessary.

Romans 12:1 "Present your bodies a living sacrifice, "Holy" and acceptable unto God."

We 'present' by faith. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin, or taking forgranted. We are not 'Holy' automatically or this would not have needed to be said. There is an act, or action involved.

1 Tim 2:8 "lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting."

Doubting is not Holy. Therefore if we doubt.... where did holiness go?

1 Thes 4:7 "For God hath not called us to uncleanness, but unto Holiness."

If He has called us to Holiness, does it not mean that we can be unholy? And is unholiness by faith, or by the lack of it?:?? For verse 6 says, "That no man go beyond and defraud his brother." This shows lack of faith, and fruit that is not Christ. Therefore if it is not Christ - guess who! And since Jesus said: "If you gather not with me, you scatter abroad." (Mat 12:30) Therefore if you gather not with Him, you have participated with satan. That is not holy.

"To whomever ye yield yourselves servants to obey [Christian believer] Rom 6:16 his servants are ye whom you obey, whether of sin unto death, or 'obedienced' unto righteousness."

Yield? You mean, an act of my will is involved, and it is not automatica?????? ???

James 4:5 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

But no, to znah, we are Holy. EOD

James chapter 4, "Ye lust and have not. Ye kill and desire to have but cannot attain." That is not Holy. That is yielding to error.

James 1:15 "But when lust has conceived it bringethforth sin, and sin, when it is finished bringeth forth death."

But we are not dead! We are alive to God,, no? !Not if we yield to error! If we yield to error, we die. We step out of Jesus' protection. That means that we are alive to death, and dead to God, our choice. And that means that the old man, to whom Paul said "I die daily," doesn't die, but resurrects from the grave. So so much for his being 'dead'. Dead men do not interfere with Holiness. And since holiness can be interfered with, he is not dead so long as it is interfered with. Therefore we are holy by faith. But we are dead by faith, and iack of it means we are not dead. We are alive to sin. The old man is alive to sin, unless he is under the Cross by faith.

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Originally posted by Michael:
One is Holy as they are yielded to the Lord only.

John 5:24-27
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself; And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.

John 5:21
For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.

John 6:33
For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

John 6:63
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Romans 4:17
(As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

2 Corinthians 3:6
Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Where is Scripture to support your thesis Michael?

Also, please note the lower case S's..

Therefore it is not one is Holy as they yeild to Jesus for Life. One is Holy because He is Holy and we've received His Life.

Psalm 86:2
Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.

1 Peter 1
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

1 Corinthians 1:2-3
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both their's and our's: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 1:4 [and the whole chapter]
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

--------------------

Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So who do you minister: self, or Christ? What a fair question to ask one's self.

Yes, a fair question indeed. [Smile]

Aaron

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Zeena:
Aaron, I said all that I did because wparr had come against the Apostleship of Peter;

Ah. I see that now. Thanks for the clarification. [thumbsup2]

Aaron

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
Ah mistated! It was late! So, sorry Aaron
quote:
And that, as Aaron said, we never heard about the lots apostle again is most likely the evidence that we seek. And never has anything been said that is more important concerning infallibly claiming the will of God (apart from the salvation message).

Nevertheless, some will express Christ, solely, nearly around the clock. Others will not express Christ except on occasion, that, if they are fortunate, even though they have known the Lord and are saved. (It is the condition of the believer that 'warranted' the epistles to guide us.) This is because some will 'obey' unto life, through faith. Others, though well meaning, will not be able, because they misinterpret what HE gives them to know. And they will argue about it, all the while missing the door.

[Cross] One is Holy as they are yielded to the Lord only. They are not so otherwise. There are two fountains. One is the water of life. The other is mud. The faith of the Cross cuts off the fountain of mud. But it is not automatic. There is participation, which is rewarded. But finding the faith of the Cross is not accomplished in most. Therefore, the fountain of flesh is dominant. These are called 'carnal'. (While some think they can be carnal and call themselves Holy.)

We know that others will not drink of muddy well water. But the muddy wells, rather than repent unto clean clear water, justify the muddy water, trying to make us believe (according to Romans) that it is sin in them that muddies up the water, and not them. Therefore they simply cannot help that it is there. Scripture means nothing to them; only the passages that they 'agree' with. But Jesus does not mean for them to dispense 'muddy' water.

The faith of the Cross cuts off the mudflow,and manifests Jesus. So who do you minister: self, or Christ? What a fair question to ask one's self.

One is not Holy, unless he or she abides in Holiness. This will be the crystal well. If one abides not in Holiness, they are not automatically Holy, and they are blinded by their own mud.

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Aaron, I said all that I did because wparr had come against the Apostleship of Peter;

quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
There is no place in Scripture that backs up what Peter states as of Elohim - In fact how did Peter determine who would be the next Apostle?

Acts 1:16
"Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus.

Psalm 109:8
Let his days be few; Let another take his office.

Leviticus 16:8
"Aaron shall cast lots for the two goats, one lot for the LORD and the other lot for the scapegoat.

It is evident, by the Word of God in Scripture that this Word must needs have been fullfilled, just as Peter had spoken.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
The way I see it: just as Jesus spoke the words God gave Him when being tempted by Satan, Peter spoke the words God gave him in the matter of choosing the 12th apostle. Both men received revelation from God; revelation that required spiritual sight not academic study.

Yes, Peter received the Word of God as given in the OT as of God, which it is. [Smile]

Peter was humbly submitted to the Word of God in Scripture, as he was a new creature in Christ.

Not yet being infilled, but holy in the Lord nonetheless. [Wink]

--------------------

Aaron
unregistered

Certainly we can not assume that Peter was following the leading of the Spirit of God. That is why it is important to look at the scripture and realize that he was in fact righteous in his call to fill the void left by Judas: "For he (the replacement) must be a witness with us...".

Aaron

P.S. Michael, can you explain this:
quote:
"And that, as Aaron said, we never heard about the lots apostle again is most likely the evidence that we seek. And never has anything been said that is more important concerning infallibly claiming the will of God (apart from the salvation message).
If you are saying that Mathias was summarily left out of the scriptures because he was not to be chosen that is not true:

quote:
Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
quote:
Act 6:2 Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, "It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables.
Here Paul is talking:

quote:
1Cr 15:3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
1Cr 15:4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,
1Cr 15:5 and that He was seen by Cephas, then by the twelve.

He notes that Christ was seen by "the twelve".

quote:

1Cr 15:6 After that He was seen by over five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater part remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep.
1Cr 15:7 After that He was seen by James, then by all the apostles.

So they see Him again when they were all together.

quote:

1Cr 15:8 Then last of all He was seen by me also, as by one born out of due time.

And then Paul sees Him. Paul did not include himself when he said "the twelve".

Paul's letter confirms that Mathias was correctly numbered among "the twelve". Paul was an apostle, for sure, but he was not one of the twelve Apostles of the Lamb.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

1 Corinthians 6:17
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Yea, but....

That does not mean that Peter was infallable. It doesn't mean that Peter obeyed the Spirit. For just because one is 'one spirit' with the Lord doesn't mean that he automatically yields to, and ministers Christ. So just because he chose to cast lots doesn't mean God was glorified. The natural man, that old wiley man (who will not admit he is alive) can override God at any, or even every second. In other words, one can "Walk in the flesh," and manifest the deeds of the flesh, meaning the old nature of sin. Therefore if Jesus didn't cast lots, then Peter simply sinned by taking initiative apart from the leading of the Spirit.

Rom 6:16 know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

It is Jesus, or it isyou. So if Peter was not moved by the Spirit, he was moved by the flesh, the 'old man'.

When Jesus says, "Be ye perfect," one has to yield to it. He cannot just take license to say that he is expressing God. That would make one 'infallible'. That means that one could not be wrong when assuming that he or she is led by the Spirit to 'do' something. Even John Woodward warned about this.

quote:
It is obvious he was looking after the Law of God [with his regenerate [see nature] in determining to do the will of God, yes?
No!

Romans 7:22-25 & Romans 8:1-4
For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

So with the mind (renewed mind) I serve the law of God. But if I yield to the flesh, I serve sin, which is doing what God is not. That is what sin is, doing one's ownthing apart from God. For though the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from sin.... Well, it goes back to Romans 6:16. To whomever you yield, that is the fruit you will bear. He is saying that you do not have to act separately from God. Jesus didn't.

And that, as Aaron said, we never heard about the lots apostle again is most likely the evidence that we seek. And never has anything been said that is more important concerning infallibly claiming the will of God (apart from the salvation message).

This is why we have the scriptural filter (which some will refuse to apply to themselves). Love is never jealous, envious, boastful, proud, haughty, selfish, or rude. So if you see one of these things in your behavior (conversation according to the kjv), then you know you are not seeing Jesus manifesting Himself through you. Don't be mistaken. You are alive to self, and not to Christ.

"There is therefore not condemnation to those who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

To walk after the Spirit means one's actions are the express expression of the Spirit, not one's flesh. And that is the prime reason that we have that verse.

Aaron
unregistered

quote:

This Scripture Peter mentioned is the Law of God.

I think I know what you're saying. I'm just not sure where and why it came into in the discussion. [Smile]

The way I see it: just as Jesus spoke the words God gave Him when being tempted by Satan, Peter spoke the words God gave him in the matter of choosing the 12th apostle. Both men received revelation from God; revelation that required spiritual sight not academic study.

Bless you sis,
Aaron

P.S. On the matter of indwelling (as a witness that we are God's children) and filling (for power) of the Spirit: they are in fact, two separate issues and they occurred at two different times for the apostles. Granted this is the Cliff's Notes version but it'll do for 11:38 at night. [Embarrassed] <- *me, yawning [Smile]

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Originally posted by Billy:
(a) Test One: You must be free from bondage to sin (saved, born again).

As you read the writings of Nee this becomes self evident. Yet God alone knows the heart. Did Nee recieve a new heart? He testifies that he did..

quote:
Nee:
"There began to dawn on him the secret of Christianity that is summarized in the words: "We have this treasure in earthen vessels, to show that the transcendent power belongs to God and not to us.' Now as he learned to trust God hourly for his very life, he came to a new place of rest in Him."

quote:
(b) Test Two: You have to have seen the Lord with your own eyes, whether in a vision (as was the case with Paul) or physically.
Barnabus saw the Lord Living through the Apostle Paul [Smile]
quote:
Personal witness of Nee:
'I discovered,' he says, 'that Paul was a man, and the very sort of man I knew.

Now, obviously he's not saying he physically laid eyes on Paul, but I would surmise it to say that he too witnessed the Life of Jesus within Paul, just as Barnabus. [Smile]

quote:
(c) Test Three: You have to be an evangelist and church planter, actively traveling and spreading the gospel for Jesus Christ.
Nee planted a whole slew of church's, praise God! [Big Grin]

Even better, his writings are indeed equipped to build up the body of individual members. Informing them of who they are and who Christ Jesus is in and through them! [Big Grin]

quote:
(d) Test Four: The Lord must have used you for signs, wonders and miracles, to His glory.
If you must, then this thread is itself a sign, for we seem to have gotten quite off track of it's original purpose and indeed have come to study and understand the Scripture through it! PRAISE GOD!

Also, above your head is the wonderful witness of brother Eden, in that he gives Glory to God for Nee, as do I [Smile]

Romans 14:16
Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
More deception.

Is there some Scriptural evidence I've missed?

If so, PLEASE feel free to point out my error! [spiny]

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
Concerning Watchman Nee, here is something interesting from Troy Brooks's website.

How to Read Watchman Nee Properly!

1) Watchman Nee's writings were translated by Stephen Kaung into fifty-five books at Christian Fellowship Publishers from mostly Nee's magazines, plus a study guide for The Spiritual Man called Journeying Towards The Spiritual and a book for prayer, Powerful According to God. There are also three books by Kaung which are excellent. I have found these two writers, as well Jessie Penn-Lewis to be the most memorable and effective for my life. I can not even say a single thing against them in the writings themselves for their work seems perfect. This is really the only authentic and trustworthy source for Nee's writings . I have no affiliation with them. I just love deeper spiritual truths; when accepted, grace enters to produce the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Reading the Bible along with the most spiritual of Christian writers is profitable for we are not an island unto ourselves. We need two or three in agreement, and so shall it be in heaven.

2) Watchman Nee was also translated by Angus Kinnear into 5 books from Nee's magazines, plus a study guide for The Normal Christian Life and a biography, Against the Tide, at Christian Literature Crusade. At CLC are two other translations: David Smith translated Song of Songs, and Sure Foundation translated Release of the Spirit. I have found Angus Kinnear mistaken on a few occasions in his biography and the footnotes to his translations which is why I recommend just the white covers only!

3) Read only the white covers first. Later, read Kinnear's translations, then venture into other views and translations if you wish, and you will see them for what they are. This course of action is most profitable in this order. It may not seem apparent now, but years down the road these instructions will be appreciated in that it is better to start with reading that which is most spiritual, trustworthy, and accurate first.

It is better to never read Nee at all than to start reading from the false translations and false views. That will totally mess you up.

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/Watchman_Nee.htm

Agreed, is there something you find amiss with this statement?

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
quote:
And Aaron..

Acts 1 is BEFORE the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, therefore they had NO CHOICE but to rely on the Law of God.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

The scriptures certainly record that Peter could receive revelation from God prior to Pentecost: "For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you but my Father in Heaven." [Smile]

The Prophets of old heard from God, but they were not indwelt by the Holy Spirit, yes?

Acts 2:4
And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance.

kai eplhsqhsan pantev pneumatov agiou, kai hrcanto lalein eteraiv glwssaiv kaqwv to pneuma edidou apofqeggesqai autoiv.

piðmplhmi [eplhsqhsan]
  • to fill

• to be fulfilled, to be filled

They [including Peter] had not yet been FILLED with the Holy Spirit, and He did, in fact, work as God from the OUTSIDE, not from the inside.

pneuma edidou is imperfect tense;
The imperfect tense generally represents continual or repeated action. Where the present tense might indicate "they are asking," the imperfect would indicate "they kept on asking."

quote:
To summarize: selecting the 12th man prior to the outpouring was to confirm the truth of Peter's sermon.

Aaron

And indeed, Peters Sermon was truth and always will be truth! [Smile] Peter had a regenerated spirit when he spoke those words he spoke from his new spirit that he recieved after being indwelt by the Holy Spirit [which he recieved when Jesus breathed on him, and them].

1 Corinthians 6:17
But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

He and the rest of the Apostles were quickened that day and were made holy.

Ephesians 2:1
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Peter, a student of the Law of Israel, now made new by Jesus, said this;

Acts1:16
Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

This Scripture Peter mentioned is the Law of God.

It is obvious he was looking after the Law of God [with his regenerate [see nature] in determining to do the will of God, yes?

Romans 7:22-25 & Romans 8:1-4
For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Yet, the infilling of the Holy Spirit comes with prayer and desire for Him, having our minds renewed by Him. Which the Apostles continued in until they were united in faith, for indeed, they became of one accord with one another, praise God!

That's about it for me, I do not wish for there to be ANY separation in our fellowship in the Holy Spirit my brother. If you do not agree, it is definately not a faith shaking, earth shattering doctrine on which to cause division. [wave3]

Yet, do feel free to post a reply as the Lord Wills [Wink]

I MUST say, I've REALLY enjoyed this time of study with you all! [Smile] God has shed more light, and I am thankful! [Smile]

--------------------

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Betty Louise:
I still believe Paul was called by God to be an Apostle.
betty

Is there anyone disputing this?

Aaron

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still believe Paul was called by God to be an Apostle.
betty

Rom 1:1
Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called [to be] an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
1Cr 1:1
Paul, called [to be] an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes [our] brother,
2Cr 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy [our] brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:
Gal 1:1
Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)
Eph 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Col 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus [our] brother,
1Ti 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Saviour, and Lord Jesus Christ, [which is] our hope;
1Ti 2:7
Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, [and] lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.
2Ti 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,
Tts 1:1
Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
zeeeeee!
quote:
Yes He did. For He is the One who instituted that method.

That doesn't mean that they did so in that hour, according to HIS will.

quote:
bettylouise
quote:
There are many who want to diminish the works done by Paul, today.

There were many who wanted to diminish the works of Paul in his very day! No one wanted to hear him. And one way around what he stated then, and now, is to interpret what he was saying, differently than what he intended. But once someone believes something out of what he is saying, they are hard pressed to be objective about it, and to change according to what the intent of his message is. But scripture says to "Seek and ye shall find." Also, a companion verse would be, "The Spirit will guide you in all truth." But people who have made up their mind consider that the Spirit guided them there, in spite of 'conviction' which they are silencing in favor of appearing 'righteous' before men. It is sad.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

quote:
[updown]
quote:
I don't know anything about Watchman Nee. However, I do know that, if he is calling himself a modern day apostle (saint, in the KJV), he is comparable to the Catholic Church, the Watchtower Society and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. These organizations have made extra-biblical claims under the premise that they have apostolic authority. However, there is a biblical test for anyone claiming to be a modern day apostle that these three organizations fail, as I'm sure Watchman Nee does.

Watchman Nee did not call himself an apostle. Neither would he agree, that I am aware, that he was an osas armenian. His writings may agree with those concepts, but somebody else compared him with them. I'm not aware that he will have said anything directly.
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy

quote:
quote:
Carol Swenson wrote:
...Some have suggested that Paul was God’s choice as a replacement and that the decision here was premature. That can hardly be the case. First, one qualification was that the person had been with Jesus during his whole earthly ministry (Acts 1:21-22)...
...(Hard Sayings of the Bible)...

So, what is being taught in the book Hard Sayings of the Bible is that Paul was wrong when he claimed to be an apostle? That when he claimed, in 1Corinthians, that he had seen the Lord as evidence of his apostleship, he had fallen short of the true standard of apostleship? Who are the authors of Hard Sayings of the Bible? Just wondering. It's not that I want to call them out or anything. I just think that they have spoken wrongly, on this one.
This is the entire paragraph you quoted from. Please note the bolded part.

Some have suggested that Paul was God’s choice as a replacement and that the decision here was premature. That can hardly be the case. First, one qualification was that the person had been with Jesus during his whole earthly ministry (Acts 1:21-22). While many disciples other than the Twelve often followed Jesus, Paul was certainly not one of them. Second, the Twelve were oriented toward the “twelve tribes of Israel”; that is, their focus was and remained the Jewish-Christian mission. Paul was the great apostle to the Gentiles. Third, in his letters Paul never groups himself with the Twelve but rather maintains the uniqueness of his own apostleship (for example, 1 Cor 15:8-9; Gal 1:12, 15). Finally, Paul knows several other apostles, such as James (Gal 1:19) and Andronicus and Junia (Rom 16:7). Thus, while all of the Twelve were apostles, not all apostles belonged to the Twelve. The Eleven correctly realized that unique qualifications were needed to fill that twelfth spot.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WildB,

My Pastor was just talking about this from the pulpit. He said the disciples got ahead of themselves when they replaced Judas and Paul was God's choice of replacing Judas. Notice the one they replaced Judas was never mentioned again, but look at the greats works did through Paul. As the Bible says, you can judge a tree by it's fruits. And the fruits that were produced through Paul shows the blessing that God did through him.

There are many who want to diminish the works done by Paul, today. One group that I know of wants to actually remove from the Bible all the Books by Paul, because of his stand on homosexuality.

Me, I look forward to the day when I can walk and talk personally with our Brother in Christ, Paul and tell him how much I enjoyed reading the books written by him. May that day that we can walk with Paul in Heave come quickly. Of course seeing Jesus and thanking Him comes first.

Have a blessed day.

1Cr 9:1 ¶ Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the Lord?

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Carol Swenson wrote:
...Some have suggested that Paul was God’s choice as a replacement and that the decision here was premature. That can hardly be the case. First, one qualification was that the person had been with Jesus during his whole earthly ministry (Acts 1:21-22)...

So, what is being taught in the book Hard Sayings of the Bible is that Paul was wrong when he claimed to be an apostle? That when he claimed, in 1Corinthians, that he had seen the Lord as evidence of his apostleship, he had fallen short of the true standard of apostleship? Who are the authors of Hard Sayings of the Bible? Just wondering. It's not that I want to call them out or anything. I just think that they have spoken wrongly, on this one.
The "SIGNS" of an Apostle were manifested in the beginning of Pauls commission.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

quote:
8x10 glossing over photos: Alices Restaurant!!! "You can get anything you want at Alices restaurant (excepting Alice). Arlo Guthrie

Did God honor the drawing of lots? After all, these were His chosen (and honored) Apostles. If so, Paul is the thirteenth Apostle. If not, he completes the twelve. But as I recall there are twelve tribes, and twelve Apostles, and so on. Twelve a here; twelve a there; here a twelve, therre a twelve; everwhere a twelve twelve (144)

eek1 : [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!] [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!]

It is correct to say that there are 12 Apostles of the Lamb but there were more than 12 apostles.

Here is the reference to the Apostles of the Lamb:

quote:
Rev 21:14 Now the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names* of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
But here is a reference to other apostles in scripture:

Paul Silvanus and Timothy write a letter to the Thessalonians:

quote:
1Th 1:1 Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy,...
We know by the indications in the letter, that this is a message from all three men:

quote:
1Th 1:2 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers,
1Th 1:3 remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father,
1Th 1:4 knowing, beloved brethren, your election by God.
1Th 1:5 For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake.
1Th 1:6 And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit,

This pattern continues into the next chapter:

quote:
1Th 2:1 For you yourselves know, brethren, that our coming to you was not in vain.
1Th 2:2 But even after we had suffered before and were spitefully treated at Philippi, as you know, we were bold in our God to speak to you the gospel of God in much conflict.
1Th 2:3 For our exhortation did not come from error or uncleanness, nor was it in deceit.
1Th 2:4 But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts.
1Th 2:5 For neither at any time did we use flattering words, as you know, nor a cloak for covetousness--God is witness.

The we's, us's, and our's refer to three men: Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy.

And here is the clincher:

quote:
1Th 2:6 Nor did we (Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy) seek glory from men, either from you or from others, when we (Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy) might have made demands as apostles of Christ.
1Th 2:7 But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children.

It is apparent in scripture; Along with the 12 Apostles of the Lamb there are other apostles who were called by the Lord: Paul, Silvanus, and Timothy.

Aaron

Billy
Advanced Member
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Carol Swenson wrote:

--------------------
Test yourselves to be sure that you are in the faith.

- The Apostle Paul

Posts: 217 | From: overseas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billy
Advanced Member
Member # 7193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know anything about Watchman Nee. However, I do know that, if he is calling himself a modern day apostle (saint, in the KJV), he is comparable to the Catholic Church, the Watchtower Society and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. These organizations have made extra-biblical claims under the premise that they have apostolic authority. However, there is a biblical test for anyone claiming to be a modern day apostle that these three organizations fail, as I'm sure Watchman Nee does.

Twice, Paul's apostleship was called into question, in the church at Corinth. Here is how Paul told them that they can know for sure that he is a true apostle of the Lord, Jesus Christ...

1Corinthians 9:1&2
(a) Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? (b) Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? (c) Are you not my work in the Lord? If to others I am not an apostle, at least I am to you; for you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

2Corinthians 12:12
The signs of a true apostle were performed among you with all perseverance, (d) by signs and wonders and miracles.

(a) Test One: You must be free from bondage to sin (saved, born again).
(b) Test Two: You have to have seen the Lord with your own eyes, whether in a vision (as was the case with Paul) or physically.
(c) Test Three: You have to be an evangelist and church planter, actively traveling and spreading the gospel for Jesus Christ.
(d) Test Four: The Lord must have used you for signs, wonders and miracles, to His glory.

I leave it to you. Does Watchman Nee pass the test? If not, and if he is truly calling himself an apostle, his ministry should be called into question.

On top of this, we have a clear picture in scripture of just how many apostles Jesus called to be the foundation of His church.

Revelation 21:14
And the wall of the city had twelve foundation stones, and on them were the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

We know that, when our Lord ascended into heaven, He had eleven active apostles for one had proven to be a false convert. After this, in haste and without the guideance of the Holy Spirit, a man was appointed an apostle, though we never see this apostleship affirmed by the Lord (Acts 1:15-26). Thus we can conclude that it was not sanctioned by the Holy Spirit.

Finally, we have Paul stepping in to fill the final slot, so to speak, as the 12th apostle to our Lord, Jesus Christ. Then, in Revelation, we have a picture of the church descending from heaven at the end of time with the twelve apostles as its foundation. This leaves no room for any extra modern day apostles. Thus, we can conclude that anyone calling themselves an apostle, in the modern church, is doing so without the authority of scripture.

In Christ,
Billy.

--------------------
Test yourselves to be sure that you are in the faith.

- The Apostle Paul

Posts: 217 | From: overseas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Did God honor the drawing of lots?

Yes He did. For He is the One who instituted that method.

Headed to work now, more later, God Willing.

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eden:
This book by Watchman Nee, The Normal Christian Life saved my Christian life. I was a cranky, miserable Christian trying to suppress my sins which came to easily to me.

But when I read Watchman Nee's The Normal Christian Life, it saved my life. In it I discovered that God had crucified my old man (actually God had crucified all what belonged to the first Adam as worthless).

And from that day on I stopped trying to help God with my worthless old man, and I became a happy Christian when I discovered that God does not want my bad parts, but God does not want my good parts either. My ENTIRE old man has been condemned.

It is the Spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I {Jesus} speak to you, they are Spirit and they are life.

I will forever be grateful to Jesus Christ thru Watchman Nee, by the Holy Spirit, for that wonderful explanation of the book of Romans, which saved my Christian life FOR A SECOND TIME when it needed much saving from MYSELF.

love, Eden

The Spiritual Man
CFP, Vo. 1, Part 3 THE SOUL Ch. 1
by Watchman Nee

A Christian enters a decidedly hazardous period of his life upon coming to know the truth of co-death and experiencing something of freedom from sin. If at this juncture he receives good instruction and permits the Holy Spirit to apply the cross to himself in a deeper way, he eventually will reach spiritual maturity. But if the believer is content to view his experience of victorious life over sin as the apogee of attainment and forbids the cross to contravene his soul life then he will abide in the soulical realm and mistake his soulical experience for a spiritual one. In spite of the fact his old man was dealt with, the believer’s soul life remains untouched by the cross. The will, mind and emotion will therefore continue to function without any check; and the result: his experience is confined to the realm of the soul .

It must be emphasized that to be delivered from the power of sin merely means to have our body liberated. (Of course our perfect redemption which also includes the deliverance from the presence of sin lies in the future). Not yet dealt with is the life of the soul upon which we lean. If we consider victory over sin as life on the highest plateau then we are most foolish. We are accepting the “annulling” or “withering” of the body as life supreme but ignoring the fact that over and above the body of sin stands the natural soul which requires as much dealing as does the body. A believer’s spiritual odyssey is bound to be shallow if he only knows the body unemployed (wonderful as that may be) but fails to experience the soul life denied.

Seams like a lot of oppinion to me. Wheres the Scripture?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This book by Watchman Nee, The Normal Christian Life saved my Christian life. I was a cranky, miserable Christian trying to suppress my sins which came to easily to me.

But when I read Watchman Nee's The Normal Christian Life, it saved my life. In it I discovered that God had crucified my old man (actually God had crucified all what belonged to the first Adam as worthless).

And from that day on I stopped trying to help God with my worthless old man, and I became a happy Christian when I discovered that God does not want my bad parts, but God does not want my good parts either. My ENTIRE old man has been condemned.

It is the Spirit that quickens; the flesh profits nothing: the words that I {Jesus} speak to you, they are Spirit and they are life.

I will forever be grateful to Jesus Christ thru Watchman Nee, by the Holy Spirit, for that wonderful explanation of the book of Romans, which saved my Christian life FOR A SECOND TIME when it needed much saving from MYSELF.

love, Eden

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Casting Lots?

Acts 1:26 (NLT)
Then they cast lots, and Matthias was selected to become an apostle with the other eleven.

The Twelve were oriented toward the “twelve tribes of Israel”. Paul was the great apostle to the Gentiles.

The eleven apostles, together with many other disciples, were gathered in the upper room after the ascension. At Simon Peter’s suggestion the decision was made to replace Judas, who had forfeited his office by his betrayal of Jesus. Unfortunately, the group of disciples contained not one but two qualified candidates, Matthias and Joseph Barsabbas. A decision has to be made. They pray. Someone brings out some dice. The dice are thrown and Matthias wins. He is from then on counted as an apostle, one chosen and sent by the Lord. This scenario is difficult for two reasons. First, if this procedure was of God, why isn’t church business conducted in this way now? Second, if this method is not to be used now, how could it have been legitimate then? Did Matthias really become the twelfth apostle, or was this the first major postascension failure of the church, a use of worldly methods?

The Eleven certainly had a legitimate concern. Jesus had promised that the Twelve would “sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel” (Lk 22:30). The situation that confronts them in Acts 1:26 is that now, as they await the inauguration of the mission to the world (Luke explains Pentecost more as empowering for mission than as the beginning of the church), there is a vacant spot. The issue was not that Judas had died. James son of Zebedee would also die, but he would not be replaced (Acts 12:2). The apostles believed in the resurrection of the dead, so in their eyes James was still available to take his place on his throne. Instead, the issue with Judas was that by betraying Jesus he had forfeited his place.

Some have suggested that Paul was God’s choice as a replacement and that the decision here was premature. That can hardly be the case. First, one qualification was that the person had been with Jesus during his whole earthly ministry (Acts 1:21-22). While many disciples other than the Twelve often followed Jesus, Paul was certainly not one of them. Second, the Twelve were oriented toward the “twelve tribes of Israel”; that is, their focus was and remained the Jewish-Christian mission. Paul was the great apostle to the Gentiles. Third, in his letters Paul never groups himself with the Twelve but rather maintains the uniqueness of his own apostleship (for example, 1 Cor 15:8-9; Gal 1:12, 15). Finally, Paul knows several other apostles, such as James (Gal 1:19) and Andronicus and Junia (Rom 16:7). Thus, while all of the Twelve were apostles, not all apostles belonged to the Twelve. The Eleven correctly realized that unique qualifications were needed to fill that twelfth spot.

Throughout the Old Testament the lot was the normal means of discerning the divine will when a prophet was not available. It was the means of decision on the Day of Atonement (Lev 16:8) and was how the land had been divided (Josh 18:10). Centuries later, when the returning exiles wanted to know God’s mind, they still used it (Neh 10:34; 11:1). More important than the historical examples are the instructions of Proverbs, which were understood as divine teaching. How could harmony be preserved when there were two contenders? “Casting the lot settles disputes and keeps strong opponents apart” (Prov 18:18). Could the dice really give God’s answer? “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord” (Prov 16:33). In other words, since the decision in Acts was not automatic (two men were fully qualified), those gathered in the upper room had every reason in terms of both biblical precedent and biblical teaching to believe that God would make his will known through the lot. There was nothing incorrect in their procedure.

Why, then, is this the last time that we read about the early church using dice? In the next chapter, with the gathering fully organized (all twelve apostles in place), the Holy Spirit falls. The Spirit was also the Spirit of prophecy, whose departure from Israel had left them with only dice as a means through which God might communicate his will. But now in the wake of the coming of Jesus the Spirit is back, not resting only on a few prophets, but on the whole people of God. Many of them received the gift of prophecy. From this point on Acts records prophetic words that explain decisions (for example, “the Spirit told me,” Acts 11:12), indicate people chosen for special roles (Acts 13:2) and apparently lead to consensus (Acts 15:28). In the church empowered by the Spirit, God speaks through that Spirit. It is therefore no wonder that in such a context the lot and similar indirect means of discerning the divine will (such as seeking omens from God like Gideon’s fleece) were relegated to history. We who live in a church still filled with that Spirit can continue to be thankful that due to our direct connection with God we no longer have to copy the means that were necessary for the first ten days of the church after Jesus left.

(Hard Sayings of the Bible)

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

8x10 glossing over photos: Alices Restaurant!!! "You can get anything you want at Alices restaurant (excepting Alice). Arlo Guthrie

Did God honor the drawing of lots? After all, these were His chosen (and honored) Apostles. If so, Paul is the thirteenth Apostle. If not, he completes the twelve. But as I recall there are twelve tribes, and twelve Apostles, and so on. Twelve a here; twelve a there; here a twelve, therre a twelve; everwhere a twelve twelve (144)

eek1 : [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!] [Eek!] .. [Eek!] .. [Eek!]

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
[QUOTE]And Aaron..

Acts 1 is BEFORE the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, therefore they had NO CHOICE but to rely on the Law of God.

I don't think that's necessarily the case.

The scriptures certainly record that Peter could receive revelation from God prior to Pentecost: "For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you but my Father in Heaven." [Smile]

To summarize: selecting the 12th man prior to the outpouring was to confirm the truth of Peter's sermon.

Aaron

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

They were indwelt by The Spirit, but not filled then, yes?

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Zeena

Concerning Watchman Nee, here is something interesting from Troy Brooks's website.

1) Watchman Nee's writings were translated by Stephen Kaung into fifty-five books at Christian Fellowship Publishers from mostly Nee's magazines, plus a study guide for The Spiritual Man called Journeying Towards The Spiritual and a book for prayer, Powerful According to God. There are also three books by Kaung which are excellent. I have found these two writers, as well Jessie Penn-Lewis to be the most memorable and effective for my life. I can not even say a single thing against them in the writings themselves for their work seems perfect. This is really the only authentic and trustworthy source for Nee's writings . I have no affiliation with them. I just love deeper spiritual truths; when accepted, grace enters to produce the infilling of the Holy Spirit. Reading the Bible along with the most spiritual of Christian writers is profitable for we are not an island unto ourselves. We need two or three in agreement, and so shall it be in heaven.

2) Watchman Nee was also translated by Angus Kinnear into 5 books from Nee's magazines, plus a study guide for The Normal Christian Life and a biography, Against the Tide, at Christian Literature Crusade. At CLC are two other translations: David Smith translated Song of Songs, and Sure Foundation translated Release of the Spirit. I have found Angus Kinnear mistaken on a few occasions in his biography and the footnotes to his translations which is why I recommend just the white covers only!

3) Read only the white covers first. Later, read Kinnear's translations, then venture into other views and translations if you wish, and you will see them for what they are. This course of action is most profitable in this order. It may not seem apparent now, but years down the road these instructions will be appreciated in that it is better to start with reading that which is most spiritual, trustworthy, and accurate first.

It is better to never read Nee at all than to start reading from the false translations and false views. That will totally mess you up.

I am also glad that Troy Brooks is not a Leeist.

Yes, there are false books purportedly written by him [Nee] which he did not write. And twistings and false renderings of what he did. Only the truth would that devil come against, yes?

And Aaron..

Though I do not say it MUST be so, it sure does seem like it.. [Frown]

And even though we [DO, each and every one of us] walk after our flesh or submit to the law of sin and death at times, I honestly believe that God ALLOWS it for HIS purpose, HIS Glory.

He will finish what He has started. [Smile]
He alone will recieve the Glory.

--------------------

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
"Certainly they should have waited until the Holy Spirit fell upon them, THEN they could have more accurately picked the right person, right?Certainly they should have waited until the Holy Spirit fell upon them, THEN they could have more accurately picked the right person, right?"

Nope. For the Bible clearly states,

John.20

[22] And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

So they already had received the Holy Ghost. It was at Pentecost that the were FILLED.

Acts.2

1. [4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost;

Please prayerfully study the Bible before posting again.

If you had only rationally read my post you would have learned that I was teaching something other than the proposed supposition.

Aaron

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." (Luke 24:49)
Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Certainly they should have waited until the Holy Spirit fell upon them, THEN they could have more accurately picked the right person, right?Certainly they should have waited until the Holy Spirit fell upon them, THEN they could have more accurately picked the right person, right?"

Nope. For the Bible clearly states,

John.20

[22] And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

So they already had received the Holy Ghost. It was at Pentecost that the were FILLED.

Acts.2

1. [4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost;

Please prayerfully study the Bible before posting again.

--------------------
That is all.....

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Aaron
unregistered

Ah, see, we have this notion that casting lots means voting or that the Holy Spirit would not instruct the apostles to “play dice” to find an appropriate apostle to fill the void.

Certainly “casting lots” was not a democratic election, it WAS more like rolling dice. Yet, as we think of this practice we must be careful not to overlay our contemporary biases upon our understanding of scripture. Is it possible that the Holy Spirit instructed the disciples to cast lots to determine who would fill the 12th position? Sure, and more than simply “likely”, we will see that the 12th man was required as we understand the scriptures.

The first important scripture that sheds some light on the issue is this:

quote:
Act 1:21,22 "Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."
The bolded is most important: one of these must become a witness with us. Now, our understanding of a “witness” is one who was present at the event and one who is willing to share what they perceived. So here’s a question: if they had 11 qualified witnesses why was there a need for 12? And why was there an urgency to find the 12th man, why not wait a little longer? Certainly they should have waited until the Holy Spirit fell upon them, THEN they could have more accurately picked the right person, right?

The Lord knew what He was doing.

The first issue of finding the 12th man was directly connected to those who would witness the out-pouring of the Spirit at Pentecost: the Jews.

quote:
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.

So Jews from all over were gathered in Jerusalem. And when the Holy Spirit fell they witnessed the event and began to marvel at what was going on.

quote:
Act 2:7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, "Look, are not all these who speak Galileans?
Act 2:8 "And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born?

They were taken aback and didn’t know what to think. So, some of them leveled this accusation against the apostles: these men are drunk!

quote:
Act 2:12 So they were all amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "Whatever could this mean?"
Act 2:13 Others mocking said, "They are full of new wine."

Now the Lord knew this accusation would come so He had prepared the disciples before the Spirit fell. One of the ways He prepared them was to ensure that the 12th slot was filled by a credible witness. Why? According to the Jewish law, the Beth-din, 12 witnesses were required to establish that something was, in fact, true. So, these mocking Jews, claiming that the gifts of the Spirit were signs of drunkenness, were about to be confronted with the truth AND the truth was about to be presented in a way that they, themselves, could not deny: according to their own legal tradition. That is why the scriptures record that “Peter arose with the eleven” before he gives his speech.

quote:
Act 2:14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, raised his voice and said to them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and heed my words.
So Peter + the eleven (including Mathias) makes 12 witnesses to what Peter is about to preach.

The Lord knew the accusation would come and He knew who would level the accusation against the apostles: Jews. So, He prepared before the Spirit fell for the 12th man to already be selected and numbered among the 12. Our Lord left no room for the mockers to wiggle: the testimony of Peter was established by 12 credible witnesses. And all who were in earshot of Peter were about to receive an awful accusation against them: that they had, in fact, killed the Son of God.

And we all know how that turned out. [Smile]

Now, there is more. There are other apostles in scripture besides the 12 Apostles of the Lamb and Paul. Perhaps I’ll add some more later.

Aaron

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

I've given Scripture, and explained (not glossed over) the Scripture you gave.

And what you gave still doesn't support the means and qualifications for picking an apostle.

You seem to be the one to gloss over Scripture.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 13 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] [QUOTE]Originally posted by WildB:
[qb]

And they drew lots for them, and the lot fell to Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles. (Act 1:26)

This was a work of the flesh

How did Messiah choose the apostles?

Originally quoted post by me! [Big Grin]

I have always thought of it as you do wparr, or whomever said this. Carol has a point worth thinking about. I do not know how to appropiate this though, except to think still, that the Apostles did not act out of the Spirit's 'leading', but out of 'works'; that is, self determination. I still cling to the notion that God knew that a replacement would be needed, and God knew that Paul would be on the Damascus road. And Paul was in God's timing.

quote:
concerning woolb [Big Grin]
[QUOTE] Of coarse your right about disputing and gossiping over other ministries/people.

But that is not what is happening here.

Exposing False Teaching helps the saved soul from missing the mark and the other lost souls from eternal damnation.

Somehow it just seems wrong, these people who want to ferret out so called 'false teachers'. Even if they are false teachers, what do we have to do with them? People who choose to follow them have chosen their way. It is to be noted that it is very unusual to convert someone from following another's way, and I think it is much more appropiate to simply 'expound' on the truth and let the listeners decide!!! Because the Spirit will guide the 'true heart' into all truth.

There is something unhealthy and wrong about labeling others in the ministry whom we disagree with. And really! If it comes down to who are the tares, the ones who feel compelled to scream and shout over others, that this one, or that other is a fake, seem to be lacking something essential that comes from relationship. Evidently they don't have anything positive to dwell on and feel that they must disregard others to validate themselves. So also, they may be completely devoid of the Baptism of Love, which really is not optional (See 1cor13). However, if one doesn't believe in it, how will they receive?

God didn't and isn't raising up critics! He didn't say, "Go ye into all the world and "Criticize" who ye think is wrong about the gospel." HE said:

• Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Critics can only 'criticize' out of self-righteousness, which is meaningless. Rightousness which is of the Lord is not "Jealous; envious; boastful; proud; haughty;selfish, or rude! (Living Bible)so here we have that 'filter thing' again. For if one wants to know if thee are ministering of the Spirit, he or she can easily see by this list if it is the Spirit, or the flesh by using it as a filter. So if one wanted a test to see who is wheat, and who is the tare, a pretty good determination can be made by discovering if they criticize others to make themselves, or their point known. For God doesn't need those carrying the big stick to make His point for Him. He just doesn't need them. They perhaps are like the Apostle who was chosen by lot, rather than by the moving of the Spirit. So when someone disagrees with another, it should be tempered.

Even more deception.

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[22] Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

If we were to use only this scripture Paul would not qualify to be an apostle. The ones who don't understand will attempt all sorts of rational gymnastics in an attempt to get Paul to "fit" these standards. They'll conclude that his experience on the road to Damascus somehow compensated for the fact that he was neither 1) with Jesus from the time of His baptism or 2) with the group that witnessed Our Lord's ascension.

Such reasoning, I think, arose as an answer to the Roman heresy as the fathers of the reformation attempted to disarm the Roman Catholic beast at the foundational level. Yet, in their haste to condemn the Pope and his ilk they neglected the counsel of the Spirit and spun off, themselves, into poor doctrine.

Are there any here who want to know why these qualifications were given in Acts and why Paul, who did not meet these requirements, was indeed still an apostle?

Aaron

Those requirements Peter states in Acts are the requirements of MEN and NOT of Yahweh.

There is no place in Scripture that backs up what Peter states as of Elohim - In fact how did Peter determine who would be the next Apostle?

And they drew lots for them, and the lot fell to Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles. (Act 1:26)

It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God. And when day came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also named as apostles: (Luk 6:12-13)

What was Yahshua's command to Peter and the others?

"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." (Luk 24:49)

That word stay - is also tarry, wait, to sit.

They were to wait until they received The Holy Spirit - but Peter was a man of action and couldn't just wait.
He disobeyed and performed a work of the flesh.

Paul didn't meet Peter's requirements to be an apostle - but he met Elohim's, which is the ONLY requirements that count.

It wasn't Peter's place to choose Apostles - it is Yahweh's place only as He did with Paul.

there is a great lesson to be learned in what Peter misdid - don't step out according to the flesh when Yahweh has us in a place of waiting.

Sorry, but you are not RIGHTLY DIVIDING the word.

Why did you gloss over the fulfilling of the SCRIPTURE that PETER GOT HIS AUTHORITY FROM?

"For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Please prayerfully study more before posting.

Same back at you: Please prayerfully study more before posting.

Peter did it in HIS timing, according to the flesh, not in Yahweh's timing.

It was Yahweh's task to pick HIS apostles.

And still the "requirements" for being an apostles was of man-made rules and NOT Scripture.

Casting lots was also NOT the way we should be operating now - but by Yahweh's Holy Spirit.
Just because Peter said a prayer before casting lots doesn't mean Yahweh was in the answer.

Post your scripture. I already did mine.

You just seam to keep glossing over it.

"Acts 1

[20] For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take."

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 19 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
U´rim and Thummim
“lights and perfections”

Into the breastplate of the high priest were placed “the Urim and the Thummim, and they shall be over Aaron’s heart when he goes in before the Lord” (Exodus 28:30). These formed the medium through which the high priest ascertained the will of Jehovah in regard to any important matter affecting the theocracy (Numbers 27:21). Even such early writers as Josephus, Philo, and the rabbis do not furnish any precise information as to what the Urim and Thummim really were. On every side we meet confessions of ignorance.

But do you agree that it is the will of our Lord Jesus Christ we pray to Him for - there is no power in these objects in and of themselves?

The Urrim and Thurimin are stones of black and white to enquire of Jehovah between good and evil, having NOTHING to do with the HOLY!

They determine only the way the ISRAELITES walked while under the Law of God and while NOT indwelt with His Holy Spirit.

Peter was leaning on the LAW instead of Christ.

Matthew 16:1
The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven.

Luke 11:16
And others, tempting him, sought of him a sign from heaven.

url=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seer_stone_(Latter_Day_Saints) -->

quote:
In the early Latter Day Saint movement, seer stones were used as method of divination and played a significant role in its history and theology. Joseph Smith, Jr., the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, owned several seer stones from his earlier career as a "money digger."[1] Other early Mormons such as Hiram Page, David Whitmer and Jacob Whitmer also owned seer stones.[2] Seer stones are mentioned in the Book of Mormon and in other Latter Day Saint scriptures. James Strang, who claimed to be Joseph Smith's designated successor, also unearthed what he said were ancient metal plates and translated them using seer stones.

Seer Stones and the Urim and Thummim

Main article: Urim and Thummim (Latter Day Saints)

In translating the Book of Mormon from the Golden Plates, Smith said he used "Interpreters", a pair of crystals joined in the form of a large pair of spectacles, which he later referred to as the "Urim and Thummim." In 1823 Smith said that an angel told him of the existence of Golden Plates, along with which would be found "two stones in silver bows" fastened to a breastplate, which the angel called the Urim and Thummim and which he said God had prepared for translating the plates.[9] (His mother, Lucy Mack Smith, described them as crystal-like: "two smooth three-cornered diamonds.")[10] Smith and his early Mormon contemporaries seem to have used the terms "seer stone" and "Urim and Thummim" interchangeably. Although Smith always referred to the Book of Mormon "interpreters" as the Urim and Thummim, he may or may not have intended to make a distinction between that device and the seer stones that he used in scrying.[11]

In 1827 Smith was revisited by the angel who revealed the location of these objects buried in a hillside. After translating the Book of Mormon Smith returned the plates and the Urim and Thummim to the angel, whom he identified as the resurrected Moroni. Joseph Smith reportedly told Orson Pratt that the Lord gave him the Urim and Thummim when he was an inexperienced translator, but that as he grew in experience he no longer needed such assistance.[12]

quote:
there is no power in these objects in and of themselves?
Except for a FALSE divination now that Christ is raised..

Ezekiel 14:1-11
Then came certain of the elders of Israel unto me, and sat before me. And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be enquired of at all by them?
Therefore speak unto them, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Every man of the house of Israel that setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to the prophet; I the LORD will answer him that cometh according to the multitude of his idols; That I may take the house of Israel in their own heart, because they are all estranged from me through their idols. Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations. For every one of the house of Israel, or of the stranger that sojourneth in Israel, which separateth himself from me, and setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to a prophet to enquire of him concerning me; I the LORD will answer him by myself: And I will set my face against that man, and will make him a sign and a proverb, and I will cut him off from the midst of my people; and ye shall know that I am the LORD. And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel. And they shall bear the punishment of their iniquity: the punishment of the prophet shall be even as the punishment of him that seeketh unto him; That the house of Israel may go no more astray from me, neither be polluted any more with all their transgressions; but that they may be my people, and I may be their God, saith the Lord GOD.

1 Corinthians 14:22
Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

Shall we all go about to search for these Urim and Thurimin, so that we may know the will of the Lord now?!!? [mad2]

Ezekiel 12:11
Say, I am your sign: like as I have done, so shall it be done unto them: they shall remove and go into captivity.

More deception.

--------------------
That is all.....

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

[22] Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.

If we were to use only this scripture Paul would not qualify to be an apostle. The ones who don't understand will attempt all sorts of rational gymnastics in an attempt to get Paul to "fit" these standards. They'll conclude that his experience on the road to Damascus somehow compensated for the fact that he was neither 1) with Jesus from the time of His baptism or 2) with the group that witnessed Our Lord's ascension.

Such reasoning, I think, arose as an answer to the Roman heresy as the fathers of the reformation attempted to disarm the Roman Catholic beast at the foundational level. Yet, in their haste to condemn the Pope and his ilk they neglected the counsel of the Spirit and spun off, themselves, into poor doctrine.

Are there any here who want to know why these qualifications were given in Acts and why Paul, who did not meet these requirements, was indeed still an apostle?

Aaron

Those requirements Peter states in Acts are the requirements of MEN and NOT of Yahweh.

It was at this time that He went off to the mountain to pray, and He spent the whole night in prayer to God. And when day came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also named as apostles: (Luk 6:12-13)

What was Yahshua's command to Peter and the others?

"And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high." (Luk 24:49)

That word stay - is also tarry, wait, to sit.

They were to wait until they received The Holy Spirit - but Peter was a man of action and couldn't just wait.
He disobeyed and performed a work of the flesh.

Paul didn't meet Peter's requirements to be an apostle - but he met Elohim's, which is the ONLY requirements that count.

It wasn't Peter's place to choose Apostles - it is Yahweh's place only as He did with Paul.

there is a great lesson to be learned in what Peter misdid - don't step out according to the flesh when Yahweh has us in a place of waiting.

Sorry, but you are not RIGHTLY DIVIDING the word.

Why did you gloss over the fulfilling of the SCRIPTURE that PETER GOT HIS AUTHORITY FROM?

"For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

Please prayerfully study more before posting.

Same back at you: Please prayerfully study more before posting.

Peter did it in HIS timing, according to the flesh, not in Yahweh's timing.

It was Yahweh's task to pick HIS apostles.

And still the "requirements" for being an apostles was of man-made rules and NOT Scripture.

Casting lots was also NOT the way we should be operating now - but by Yahweh's Holy Spirit.
Just because Peter said a prayer before casting lots doesn't mean Yahweh was in the answer.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement