Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Baptised in Jesus Name

Author Topic: Baptised in Jesus Name
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Splash!!!
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carol, dear one: It is easy to see how you thought that. It is what comes to mind for many who pursue salvation. However, when I said that Jesus will baptize you in His name, this should have been a direct clue if you were reading what you were reading. (It seems that so many read at, without assimilating the intent or meaning of what is being asserted.) A man baptizes in water, 'In Jesus name.' Similarly, in some denominations a person will lay hands for one to receive the baptism in the Holy Ghost, 'In Jesus name.'

Jesus however, baptizes in His own name even if it is when someone lays hands on them. No man baptizes, but the Spirit of God baptizes. Listen more closely. Jesus baptises 'into' His own name, else you are none of His. There is within. There is without. Both can claim His name. One is certain.

So i said in another post that i don't judge people who have not experienced Him in exactly the way that I have related. I have seen some come slowly, over a period of time into this baptism, rather than as did I and so many others. And perhaps some don't get there at all. But they try in their own strength to please the Lord. Here is why wisdom has given me the understanding of the parable of the talents, to express this concern. But some will refute it until judgment day. They best hope that they are right.

Some see these two references in scripture as evidence for all to read concerning baptism into His name:

Mat 22:11 And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment:
Mat 22:12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
Mat 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Also the parable of the virgins wherein the oil in the lamps represents the fullness of the Holy Spirit relates to this. The virgins who did not have enough oil were the ones who were not topped off. They received a little oil when they were saved, but didn't get topped off.

But like I said, everybody does not experience love poured out on their head like warm oil, which runs down till one is covered from head to toe in the very essence of His very being. It is the embrace that consoles, and enlightens. It is the gift that no one should do without.

For example, if you knew that He wanted to do this for you, would you say, "No thanks! Just give me the one talent and I'm good."

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 20 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was about water baptism. Baptism of the Holy Spirit is a different post.
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless Jesus baptizes you in His name, you cannot abide in Him, for you never were there to begin with. It is so simple to ask, "Baptize me in your name Lord Jesus."

Having given it some thought concerning being 'continually filled' I presently realize that is not how it really works. You must be emptied. He has already filled if you have been there before.

Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 28:19 - 20 (NLT)

19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are so adamant. I try to explain to them that when they pray over you using Jesus' name, that it is good and well. However, the name and the person are the same. If I am baptized into His name, I am baptized into His PERSON. This iS the salvation of our God.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

If He isn't in control of it all, then you are in transgression.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

It is faith and something else. It is faith and recieving all that He is to you.
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

There is a church that insists that one must be baptized in Jesus name. They are insecure if you are not so baptized in their presence so that they will know. I like their fellowship, however:

...when someone baptizes in Jesus name, it is not the same as when Jesus baptizes you in His name. Understood?

Amen!

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement