Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Contemplative prayer / more apostasy

Author Topic: Contemplative prayer / more apostasy
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meditation - devout religious contemplation or spiritual introspection.

There is a very fine line between myticism and meditation, so if viewers have pre-conceived ideas that the DVD will be mystic, that is what they will interpret the video as being.

If the concept of this book is biblical and strongly based on the scripture Be Still and Know that I am God, I see nothing wrong with it.

From christiancinema review
Synopsis:Be Still is an extraordinary film that demonstrates contemplative PRAYER as a vital part of our everyday lives and as a remedy for the ills of the frenzied, fast paced modern world. Featuring interviews with some of today's most highly respected authors, educators, and ministers, like DR. HENRY CLOUD, DALLAS WILLARD, MAX LUCADO, and BETH MOORE. Be Still examines the importance of silent reflective prayer as a way to truly be open to receiving God's guidance. This remarkable film also features a useful "how to" section that shows how contemplative prayer can be used by anyone at anytime to better one's life and reaffirm that which is truly important.

You will notice that Charles Stanley is on that list you provide becauseHElives.. His style is one of the most direct fire and brimstone messages you will hear.

The speakers, including Peter Kreeft, must have stuck striclty to biblical remarks. and not have gone into out of body experiences and Buddha stuff, because I know for certain that Beth Moore would not have sanctioned the book and definitely not Charles Stanley.

Jesus liked to go off by himself and pray. I am sure he was very reflective and introspective during those times. If we be still in pensive prayer, that is when we receive many answers to our problems.

Mark 1:35 And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.

Luke 5:16 And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.

Luke 6:12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.

It was after praying all night that Jesus chose the twelve disciples.

--------------------
The Pharisees tell us what not to do. Jesus tells us what to do.
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1440

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
Peter Kreeft is a speaker...

And... do you have a link that proves this?

--------------------
Romans 10:15 As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Kreeft is a speaker...

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Peter Kreeft is a speaker on the "Be Still Prayer" DVD.

Aside from the quote I made, was Peter Kreeft a speaker 'on' the Be Still DVD, or was he commenting 'about' the DVD?

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Peter Kreeft is a speaker on the "Be Still Prayer" DVD.

--------------------

Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

If the following is the only comment by Peter Kreeft and he didn't have any input into the video, I wouldn't have problem with it.

"Kierkegaard, probably the greatest Protestant Christian mind of all time, said ... "If I could prescribe only one remedy for all the ills of the modern world, I would prescribe silence." Peter Kreeft

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Aaron that for the confirmation material….

Thanks for the link WildB…..

How much false does one need to stay away from something…?

http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1440

on the web site WildB gave of the “Official site” of the “Be Still DVD” isn’t it intresting they leave this guy off the list…. Dr. Peter Kreeft…..

Dr. Peter Kreeft on Be Still DVD--Meeting Buddha in Heaven?

From a book review of Peter Kreeft's book, Ecumenical Jihad:

"Mr. Kreeft claims to have had an out of body experience while surfing in Hawaii. During this experience, he 'soul-surfed' and landed on a 'Heavenly beach.' [p. 86] There, he met and spoke with Confucius, Buddha, Mohammed, and Moses. In the afterlife, all have become pious Roman Catholics. Nonetheless, Mohammed still teaches (and Kreeft appears to agree) that the Koran is 'divine revelation.'

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

http://www.bestillprayer.com/#

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the updated response from Beth Moore (from one of the links becauseHelives provided):

quote:
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 1:21 PM
To: cc@lproof.org
Subject: Be Still DVD

Dear Friend�

Living Proof Ministries (LPM) has received your email and your communication expressing your interest in Beth�s participation in the video product, Be Still, which is very important to Beth and LPM. We have intentionally taken some time to consider, review and pray about how best to respond to your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

There appears to be common denominator among those who have expressed an interest about the video, most have not actually seen the video. Have you personally been made available a copy of the production for viewing? We believe that in doing so your questions would be answered to your satisfaction.

Because, we take this matter seriously, because we certainly always stand for Truth, and because we believe that once you view the Be Still video you will agree that there is no problem with its expression of Truth, we would like to make available a copy of this production to you if you cannot afford to purchase one for yourself for your review. LPM�s is prepared to cover the cost of shipping a copy to you, and for you to return it to us, for this time only, and only to those to those to whom this email is addressed.

Should you like to review a copy of Be Still DVD sent to you, please reply, by June 5th, 2006 with:

your email (should match the email on which you are receiving this communication),
name, address and phone number.
We will then place an order and forward the Be Still DVD to you as soon as possible. We will send a copy to you with a return envelope for you to send it back to us at no cost to you after you have had an opportunity to view it and determine that there really is no problem with the Truth presented on the video. However, it would be our privilege to do this for you to assure you that there is no problem with Beth�s participation in the Be Still video and we pray this will bring you peace with understanding that you seek.

For His fame -
Living Proof Ministries
cc@lproof.org

Although I've never watched it it's pretty apparent she supports the message on the DVD.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JackHowell
Advanced Member
Member # 6507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JackHowell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's often been noted by unbelievers that we Christians shoot our own, and this bantering and apparent condemnation of Beth Moore for making a mistake is just one more example of a Christian shooting one of our own instead of forgiving and restoring. Even anointed men and women of God make mistakes and will "miss it" where the leading of the Spirit is concerned, because of imperfect human nature getting in the way.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catseye
Member # 6590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont't know Beth Moore. ????

--------------------
All things considered-my favorite people are cats...

Posts: 4 | From: Western Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

I don't know anything about this DVD, so I am not going to comment on its validity, but I do know that "Be Still' is a biblical term.

Be Still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10.

I would wonder about a Christian who doesn't spend some quiet time in prayer and reflection, and getting in touch with God.

Have you listened to Beth Moore enough, or at all, to have authority to say whether or not she is a credible speaker? Well I have and know that she is very anointed. If she says the DVD is ok, I trust her judgment.

Enough has been said about Beth Moore, as far as I am concerned. You won't get anymore reaction from me becauseHElives.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Beths statement here never made it to her website.

Ive never seen any effort from Beth to withdraw from the Be Still Project.

To this date I have never heard Beth speak out against Emergent or contemplative prayer.
Beth is pro-Catholic and hangs with the Word Faith crowd.

That to me says a lot.

So much around this Emergent Church movement seems to be weaved in lies, deceit and coverup.
If Emergent is so good why cover it up?

The church I went to before taught Emergent church rituals and when I confronted the leadership with the facts they merely denied involvement, covered it up and changed the names of the rituals around.

They are still promoting Emergent and contemplative its just packaged different.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Your not listening, Beth Moore has now went back on her original retraction, dah! can’t you read?

--------------------

Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

quote:
but Good NewsforAll, Beth Moore has to first repent and stop the heresies she indorsing before she can be restored.

H-E-L-L-0. She has already apologized. Knowing the humility of Beth More, you can be sure she has learned a very good lesson from this.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Amen catseye,

but Good NewsforAll, Beth Moore has to first repent and stop the heresies she indorsing before she can be restored.

--------------------

catseye
Member # 6590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catseye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not familiar with this DVD but it is good to have a discussion about false teachings. Satan likes to take truth and just eliminate certain elements from it so that God is cut out of the picture. Uninformed people often think that something that is presented is the will of God when in fact it is a deception.

It is a reminder to all of us to be sensitive always to the leading of the Holy Spirit. Even when doing this we can get physically tired or become distracted. Please pray for all the brothers and sisters in Christ that we may discern clearly His will and purpose. Please pray that when we "fall short" that we will find loving brothers and sister to support and restore us.

Blessings

Catseye

--------------------
All things considered-my favorite people are cats...

Posts: 4 | From: Western Maryland USA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

quote:
Beth Moore Gives Thumbs Up to Be Still DVD
Beth Moore's statement of "apology" should be disregarded - new information takes precedence.
http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/newsletter060206.htm

As far Jesus is concerned we can be certain Beth Moore's slate has been washed clean. It is certainly comforting to know that his love is infinite and unconditional, unlike that of many of us fallible Christians.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Beth Moore Gives Thumbs Up to Be Still DVD
Beth Moore's statement of "apology" should be disregarded - new information takes precedence.

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/newsletter060206.htm

--------------------

Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Good NewsforAll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that analogy Aaron. It shows how human we all are. Look at David. Look at Samson. They royally blew it, but were restored by God's grace.

--------------------

Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know Beth Moore nor am I familiar with her writings. I am glad she retracted her support of the DVD.

I often think about Peter (anointed by the Holy Spirit) and how he blew it royally by hanging out exclusively with the Jews for a time. After Paul (by the Holy Spirit) set him straight damage had already been done. We're not told how the damage was repaired. Nevertheless we know it was repaired and that Peter was restored because the Holy Spirit works through him to write two epistles in the NT.

We should hope the same for Ms. Moore.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

maybe so, I have nothing against her whatsoever, I pray Yahweh's best for her

--------------------

Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

quote:
James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridled not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart; this man's religion is vain.

Using your own scripture Beth Moore should bridle her tongue till she has all the facts.

You say…
quote:
I know she is truly anointed by the Holy Spirit.

If she were truly anointed by the Holy Spirit she would not have ever endorsed the teaching of Contemplative prayer.

I posted on the topic “Contemplative prayer / more apostasy”…

I did not attack Beth Moore, I stated the facts concerning the subject, because she was too stupid to get all the facts before she endorsed something is not my fault.

James 1:26 is referring to harmful words of gossip against others. Beth Moore's intention was not to tear down this DVD with her initial words.

I am not familiar with the other names you mentioned who have supported this DVD, but I know that Beth Moore is a very humble speaker, and I believe that God allowed her to be put in this position, like Job, to deepen and enrich her ministry.

Proverbs 25:4 Take away the dross from the silver, and there shall come forth a vessel for the finer.

If we don't go through tests to separate the wheat from the tares in our spiritual walk, we aren't a threat to the devil.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridled not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart; this man's religion is vain.

Using your own scripture Beth Moore should bridle her tongue till she has all the facts.

You say…
quote:
I know she is truly anointed by the Holy Spirit.

If she were truly anointed by the Holy Spirit she would not have ever endorsed the teaching of Contemplative prayer.

I posted on the topic “Contemplative prayer / more apostasy”…

I did not attack Beth Moore, I stated the facts concerning the subject, because she was too stupid to get all the facts before she endorsed something is not my fault.

Psalms 22:1 A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.

She a so called Bible teacher, for goodness sake, she should do a little investigating before she attaches her approval on anything.

Contemplative prayer is new age; it is more of all paths lead to God teaching steadily gaining ground in this apostate age.

Max Lucado’s name is also attached to that DVD

--------------------

Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

quote:
You know it sad people don’t read…

Many will die and go to hell for the simple fact they would not read things in context…

I gave a link to the site addressing “Contemplative prayer “…

And you Good NewsforAll have done the very thing “Beth Moore” did, you acted before you had the facts…

The article state that “Beth Moore” has now retracted her support of this project but the damage is done, most people will not ever know she has rejected her support because the media has already printed and on the DVD case and other media have attached her name.

But before she endorsed the program she should have known what she was endorsing.

In your OP you clumped Beth Moore in with the rest who endorsed Be Still, ignoring the fact that she retracted her support, saying to me that there is no room for forgiveness towards her. We all make mistakes, even Christians, so why should we ruin her testimony because of a human frailty.

From often hearing Beth Moore's humble message in the past, I'm sure she has learned a very good lesson from this. God tests us through our weaknesses. We will not be perfected until we receive our glorified bodies.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

You know it sad people don’t read…

Many will die and go to hell for the simple fact they would not read things in context…

I gave a link to the site addressing “Contemplative prayer “…

And you Good NewsforAll have done the very thing “Beth Moore” did, you acted before you had the facts…

The article state that “Beth Moore” has now retracted her support of this project but the damage is done, most people will not ever know she has rejected her support because the media has already printed and on the DVD case and other media have attached her name.

But before she endorsed the program she should have known what she was endorsing.

On the link I provided it states ……

Beth Moore Apologizes for Being on BE STILL DVD

Christian author is sorry, but most people will never know that.

Regarding Fox Home Entertainment's new release, the DVD called Be Still, featuring Richard Foster and a line up of other contemplatives, Beth Moore, who is also part of the project, has issued a statement saying she didn't realize the DVD was about mystical prayer practices when she signed on. While Moore should be commended for her comments, most people will never read those comments. What they will read is her name on the DVD label and will rush out to buy the DVD because her name is there. We believe the only way to really rectify this situation would be for Fox Entertainment to pull the DVD off the market and replace it with a product that does not bear her name.

If what Beth Moore says is true (and there is no reason to believe it isn't) that she did not know the nature of the project when she agreed to be on it, then we hope she will contact Fox and tell them to have this DVD pulled. Some may feel that her statement should be enough and further mention of her involvement should be avoided. But serious concern must be expressed for the tens or hundreds of thousands of people who are going to be introduced to Richard Foster's contemplative silence. People who might not normally purchase such a product will do so now because of Moore's name on the label.
Apparently Fox has done a huge advertising campaign for this DVD. The damage that this is going to cause to countless people is irreversible, but perhaps, with Beth Moore's action, it can be lessened.

--------------------

Good NewsforAll
Advanced Member
Member # 6156

I don't appreciate the fact that Beth Moore's name is on that list. This is a case of printing irresponsible half-truths. If Be Still is indeed mystical and Beth Moore didn't realize until later that the project was about mystical prayer practices, I definitely believe that should she would retract her support of Be Still.

Because of this, there are many articles trying to twist her words. There is a very fine line between biblical meditation and mystical meditation. Having heard Beth Moore speak, I know she is truly anointed by the Holy Spirit.

Unless we are 100% sure of what a person truly means, we should be careful of the words we print.

We could be judged by speaking wrong words -

James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

--------------------

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

The Be Still DVD, released April 2006 by Fox Home Entertainment, and featuring Richard Foster, Dallas Willard, Calvin Miller and Beth Moore has one main message: You cannot know God if you do not practice the art of going into the silence.

That silence the DVD refers to is a special state of mind, different than normal prayer, and the DVD introduces an array of meditators, from a number of religious persuasions, to tell viewers about this state of silence. From those who promote guided imagery (Katherine-Brown Sultzman) to those who promote interspirituality, the DVD should not be classified as Christian. Jesus Christ is rarely mentioned, nor is the gospel presented. What is presented is a deceptive collection of dangerous commentaries, and there should be a warning label on the cover - NSFA - Not Safe For Anyone.

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/newsletter040806.htm#article1

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement