Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » pascha = Passover, not easter

Author Topic: pascha = Passover, not easter
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Ahar,

I would not expect you or any Christian today to call it any different as it has been a "tradition of man" for many many years, although some do call it Resurrection Sunday.

And you do make a good point that it can all get lost in the chocolate ect.. And from my point of view, it has.

The church calls Jesus the Passover Lamb but does not see the importance of that Feast calling it "done away" and have replaced it by calling it Easter and Easter was not Gods set appointed times. God had a plan right from the beginning. Passover not only pointed to Jesus it still points to His return for our Final Passover Supper. Its a Shadow of things to come.

The very word itself "Easter" has nothing to do with the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ. But most Christians think it does because thats what they have been taught for many years.

And you are right in that the same can be said of Christmas, Halloween, birthdays, ect.. as these are also holidays invented by man and are tradtitions of man.

You know, God created us for celebrations and praises, and reflections of Him and to Him. thats what His 7 Feasts are all about.

Ask any born-again Jew and he/she will tell you that they see Jesus in all 7 of the Feast.

You asked me was it my point that we all should celebrate Passover? My answer is this.

I think we all should learn about Gods appointed times meaning His Feasts and if so inclined to, celebrate them. Then we are to let no man judge us in doing so for these are shadows of things to come. (Colossians)

The ascetics, the earliest form of Gnostics were judging those who did eat and drink and be merry during the Feasts of God at the church in Colossians. They taught that Jesus was not fully God and fully man but a semidiveine being that bridged the chasm between God and man.

They believed in "special" knowledge and rigorous self disciplne. They taught the worship of angels, they were also somewhat Kabbalistic. They believed you could have self-fulfillment and freedom without total surrender to Christ.
There are some who still teach this today.

Some in the Church today and in times past say we are Free to worship any way we want to. Okay, I say fine. Does worshipping anyway you want to involve mixing in other types of worship that the pagans used and offering up this worship to God?

I see it like this. On one hand some in the church says we are Free, as Christians to worship any way we want to. But on the other hand, these same Church folk say but just dont honor and worship Jesus thru those 7 Feasts of God. So which is it?

Am I, as a believer in Jesus, free to keep the Passover celebration each year (and no we do not sacrifice a lamb, being as Jesus is that Lamb)
while other believers keep Easter?

Am I, as a believer, free to Keep the Feast of Tabernacles while others Keep Christmas?

You would be surprised at the answers I get from other believers.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yahsway

Is it your point that we should all be celebrating passover - most of your post suggests not but thought I better check.

I take the point about Easter Eggs (don't have the Easter Bunny here, I think that's an American thing) but exactly the same can be said of Christmas, Birthdays and all the other materialist celebrations (Halloween etc) that exist. I don't see Easter really any different - the story can be ruined and forgotton in all the chocolate, but it's up to us as Christians to stop this from happening!

I'm still going to call it Easter by the way [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings barrykind, you to must be doing your homework! You are right! "Good Friday" as labeled by the Roman Church is just one of the ways they have successfully "done away with" The Feast of God that pointed to Jesus and to His Death, burial and resurrection.

He was in the grave 3 days and 3 nights. Jesus said this would be the only sign he would give to that adulterous generation that seeks after signs.

You dont get 3 days and 3 nights from "Good" Friday do ya?

No you do not. Christ died on Passover, He was the Unleavened bread, hid in the napkin that we observe at Passover. hid in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights.

The Sabbath that drew near was NOT the weekly Sabbath.
During Passover, there is an extra Sabbath besides the weekly Sabbath. It is known as the High Sabbath of Unleavened Bread and you can read about it in John 19:31

Jesus was crucified on the 14th of the first month which is Nisan. He arose on the 17th of Nisan which began the festival of First fruits.

The theme of the Festival of First Fruits is resurrection and salvation. There are several important events that happened on the 17th of Nisan thruout the OT.

1. Noahs ark rests on Mt. Arart Gen 8:4

2. Israel crosses the Red Sea Ex 3:18 5:3,14

3. Israel eats the first fruits of the promised land. Joshua 5:10-12

4. Haman is defeated (Esther 3:1-6)A dcree went out on the 13th of Nisan that all the Jews would be killed Esther 3:12 upon hearing this news, Esther proclaims a 3 day fast which would be Nisan14-16 (Esther 4:16) On the 16th of Nisan, Esther risks her life going to the king,

Esther says to the kin "if it please the king may the king and Haman come this day to the banquet that I have prepared for him (Esther 5:4) This was the 16th day of Nisan.

At the banquet the king again asks Esther what she wanted and she asked the king to come to another banquet to be held the next day, the 17th of Nisan. On this day, Haman ( a type of antichrist as well as of Satan is hanged.

Jesus celebrated the Festival of First Fruits by offering Himself as the first fruits to all future generations. Matt 27:52-53

The Roman Catholic Church by stating that "Good Friday" was the crucifixion day has totally left out all of Gods redeemption plan. That being that Jesus was the Passover lamb, killed on the 14th of Nisan which had to be on a Wed between the evenings (Passover) if we are going to have Jesus in the grave 3 days and 3 nights and if He is to be resurrected on the 1st day of the week being Sunday.

What they have done is essentially taught Jesus died on a weekly Sabbath day, that being a Friday and rose 2 days later on Sunday. This is incorrect. Its right there in the scriptures yet the church doesnt see it for it has come away from the Feasts of the Lord, being taught that all that has been done away with and the Roamn Church says this is how it happened.

They distanced themselves long ago from anything "Jewish" and yet, the scriptures say this

Lev. 23 And the Lord God spoke to Moses saying,

"Speak to the children of Israel and say to them; The feasts of the Lord which you shall proclaim to be holy convocations, THESE ARE MY FEASTS."

This is the point I keep making over and over again. This feast of Passover, unleavened bread and firstfruits, all in the same week, are Gods appointed times.

Try witnessing to a Jewish person about Jesus being the Passover Lamb, without sin (Unleavened bread) and Jesus being the Firstfruit (His resurrection) using the Roman Catholic timetable and they would be so confused because they know the scriptures of the OT.

They would know about the 2 sabbaths in that week. And Jesus would not have been crucified on Friday the weekly Sabbath because that would not make Him the Passover Lamb.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

I think its wonderful that your Pastor is preaching the risen Savior.

Now as to Col 2:16,17 these verses are not referring to everyday eating and drinking and nowhere implies that we can just worship God any ole way. Heres what it means,

There are those who feel that the Holy Days of God are all Done Away with by this one scripture.

So what do these 2 verses really mean?

"Let no man judge you in meat or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days(Feast Days); Which ARE a shadow of things TO come; but the body (is) of Christ.

First it says let no man judge you, upset you, pointing a finger at you, judging you and saying you are in error.

So what was it that no man was to judge you about? In meat or in drink. The meaning in the Greek is "in eating and drinking".

So the judging against you had to do with something you would be doing. It would be eating and drinking. But was this normal daily eating and drinking?

No, Notice it was in respect of particular days.

These days elsewhere in the bible are identified as the biblical Feast days. You will find them in the OT and in the NT. Passover being one of them.

The phrase 'in respect of' means 'part' in the Greek or in other words do not let any man judge you for that part of the Holy Day festivities regarding eating and drinking.

This so far as I can tell does not sound as if those Holy Days listed are "done away with" On the contrary, Christians were eating and drinking as God intended should be done when observing His Feast Days.

Why were these Christians told not to be troubled while they observed the loving festivites of the Feasts of God and of His Christ?

Troubled at those who would point a finger at the manner in which those days were being observed.
Because those days 'which ARE shadows of things To COME'. These Holy days were not just past events BUT also Shadows looking FORWARD to the future things to come.

How is a shadow formed? There has to be a source of light, an object that is real which that light shines and the result is a shadow opposite the source of light.

The shadow being opposite leads toward the reality and toward the light both of which have caused the shadow to be produced.

The Feast days outline Gods plan of salvation for all of mankind. Jesus is that light. The shadow always points toward reality and the light source.

What about the the body (is) of Christ? This word (is) is in italics. It was added by the translators to clarify the passage yet the passage is clear without it. "But the Body of Christ" The body of Christ is the Church.

Christians are not to allow any man to judge them in how they observe the Feasts of God, but are to let the Church of God- the body of Christ- teach them how to properly observe them to the glory of Christ, the very Head of the Body, the Church.

barrykind
Advanced Member
Member # 35

Icon 8 posted      Profile for barrykind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day Yahoshua (Jesus) Died and rose is most important. The Messiah stated that the son of man would be in the earth the same as the prophet Jonah was in the belly of the great fish...3 days and three nights.... Friday crux is not so.

There was a high sabbath that week.. that is the sabbath that drew near..

He was in the earth 3 days and 3 nights. and ROSE AGAIN..To HIM be the praise and glory and honor forever AMIEN!

--------------------
The HEART of the issue is truly the issue of the HEART!
John 3:3;Mark 8:34-38;James 1:27

Posts: 3529 | From: Orange, Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did not discuss what day Jesus died. My Pastor read from the Bible about the death and the Resurrection and explained that if Jesus had not risen from the dead then there would be no salvation of men. His message was to reach the lost for Christ.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Might I ask - if the man made doctrine of - friday crucifixion and a sunday morning resurrection were preached from the pulpit?

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is not pagan activity at my Church.
but thanks for caring. Our Church does not sacrifice to idols and we worship only God.
There was no Easter bunny on the pulpit and we preach from the Holy Bible.
betty

Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

So TG, what are you really trying to say here? That we are now FREE to mix pagan practices with the Lords table-Passover?

I thought this passage in Galations was speaking of circumcision. What does that have to do with the death, burial and resurrection of Christ or in other words The Passover?

Let me put this out there.

1 Cor. 10:14

Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry, I speak as to Wise men; judge for yourselves what I say,
The cup of Blessing(refers to the 3rd of the 4 cups of wine at the Passover meal)which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? Then Paul says "What am I saying then?

verse 20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons.

verse 21

You cannot drink the cup of the Lord (The cup of Blessing, the 3rd cup of the Passover meal)
and the cup of demons. you cannot partake of the Lords table AND (Mixing here) of the table of demons.

verse 22 OR DO WE PROVOKE THE LORD TO JEALOUSY? Are we stronger than He?

I understand about not being under the curse of the Law for Jesus became that curse for me. I am saved by Grace. It is the gift of God.

But that does not give me a license to mix pagan practices with Gods ways.

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

No Return to the Law
11 Now when *Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed; 12 for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision. 13 And the rest of the Jews also played the hypocrite with him, so that even Barnabas was carried away with their hypocrisy.
14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, "If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, *why do you compel Gentiles to live as *Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.
17 "But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not! 18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. 19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Ah ahar, you are so right.Some People do loose their focus over it. Mainly because it has been mixed in with other things that have absolutely nothing to do with His death, burial and Resurrection.

As you ask yourself do you care about the word easter or some pagan festival at this time of year ect.. well I too asked myself the same question years ago.

But there was a bigger question that came to my mind. Does God the Father care?

I know He says he shares His glory with no man. Could He also mean that He does not share His glory with anything pagan?

You cannot mix pagan practices/worship with the worship of God.

example. Ex. 32:

verse 5 So when Aaron saw it (the golden calf) he built an altar before it. And Aaron made a proclamation and said "Tommorrow is a Feast to the Lord".

In the fashioning of the golden calf, no attempt was made to abandon worshiping the One true God.

Rather, the molded calf was to serve as a sign of His presence.
The choice by the hebrews in building a calf was its familiarity with bull worship in Egypt. Just couldnt get those 400 some plus years of Egyptian slavery and pagan practices out of their system.

They wanted to worship Yahweh on their terms rather than on His.

And we are not unlike those stffed-necked hebrews ya know. We want our Easter eggs which represent the fetility goddess, and how about those Easter bunnies, cant leave them out either. Oh yea, and lets do one more thing and take the Passover, which was institued by God himself and do away with it and put the Easter practices in its place.

And really, what it all boils down to is what Jesus referred to as traditions of men.

ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question I ask myself is "do I care about the origin of the word, or some pagan festival at this time of year?".

No

Easter is the word I use to describe that point in the year that we celebrate and specially focus on the resurrection. Call it Easter, call it passover, call it passiontide (old medieval name) or whatever you want - we're all celebrating the same thing - the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ

Sometimes I think people lose focus on this.

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

When Paul is addressing the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians 5, you must read this in context.

What was Paul addressing? The Passover or the Sin in the Church?

He was addressing the sexual immorality of one of that churchs members and the casual attitude towards that sin the rest of that body in that assembly had.

Paul was telling this assembly that since Christ our Passover Lamb has been sacrificed, the church ought to have an UNLEAVEND house, otherwise, the yeast of sin can spread if it goes Unchecked. Ignored discipline denies the purpose of Christs death.

And Paul does say in verse 8 "Therefore, let us keep the feast.... Notice He did not say let us keep Easter. He would not do that for he knew all to well that the pagans practiced Easter at that time with their temple prostitutes, sun-worship ect..

Notice in verse 1 of chapter 5 what Paul says-

"It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you (among who? those in the Corinthian Church) and such immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles-that a man has his fathers wife."

You do not want to take of the bread and wine, Jesus's passover in an unworthy manner.

Passover is a memorial or a remembrence, and Jesus said in luke 22:16 that he desired to eat that Passover with His disciples before he suffered, but He says He will no longer eat of UNTIL it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God.

This most likely will be the marriage supper of the Lamb.

Passover was the beginning of months Ex. 12:2
Receiving Jesus into our lives is the beginning of a New Covenant with God. Passover is the 1st of the Feasts, likewise, repenting of our sins and believing in the shed blood of Yeshua is our 1st step in our walk with God.

The lamb was to be hidden for 4 days Ex. 12:3,6
God commanded Israel to take a lamb on the 10th day of Nisan, the 1st month and set it aside until the 14th day.

These 4 days were fulfilled by Jesus as He entered Jerusalem, went to the temple and was on public display for 4 days from Nisan 10-14.

The lamb was to be without blemish and Jesus was without spot or blemish.

the lamb was of the 1st year Ex 11:4-7 12:5
The 1st born of both man and beast was to be set aside and given to God. Ex 13:2, 11-13

The theme of the 1st born runs thruout the Bible. Cain was set aside for Able Ishmael for Isaac, Esau for Jacob, even Egypt for Israel.

These are examples to teach us that the 1st born after the flesh (the natural) is set aside to bring forth the 1st born of the Spirit (spiritual) The 1st birth constitutes us as sinners, the 2nd birth makes us believers and children of God.

Jesus was the 1st born of Mary naturally and the 1st born of God spiritually. He who knew no sin became sin for us and He is the firstfruit. 1st born of God by His resurrection into the newness of life everlasting.

Because Adam, the 1st male, sinned, so a male, Jesus, died to atone for that sin.

The Passover lamb was to be for a house Ex 12:3-4
Gods intention is that all households experience salvation. Salvation for a household is available to all who believe in Messiah Jesus.

1st there is a lamb for a house Ex 12:3-4
2nd there is a lamb for a nation John 11:49-52
and finally a lamb for the world John 1:29

The Whole assembly shall kill the lamb Ex 12:6
Every person who has ever lived on this earth and sinned is guilty of killing Jesus because He died for ALL sinners. The gospels show how the Sanhedrin, the priests, the romans and the people of Israel all clamored for the crucifixon of Jesus.

The blood of the lamb must be applied to the door Ex 12:7,13,22
Those who believe in Jesus are the house of God. The only way into the House of God is thru the shed blood of jesus who is the Door.

The body of the lamb must be eaten Ex 12:8-10

We spiritually eat of the body of the Lamb Jesus when we eat of His body representive of the bread at passover.

it must be eaten with bitter herbs Ex 12:8
To those of us who have accepted the Messiah into our lives, bitter herbs speak of 2 things. One being the bondage and burdens we experience while living in this world which is a type of Egypt before we accept Jesus. This burden of sin comes from satan when one yields to his lies and deception.

Also bitter herbs speaks of the bitter things that come into our lives after we accept jesus and attempt to follow Him on a daily basis.

But for Jesus, dying on the cross was a bitter experience because he paid for mans sin with his sineless life.

The lamb must be roasted in the fire Ex 12:8

Fire speaks of judgement, refining and purification. Our faith is judged and tested by fire so it can come forth as pure gold James1:2 1 Peter 1:7 Rev 3:18

The lamb must not be soddened with water.
The gospel of Jesus must not be watered down Mark 7:9,13

The head, legs and other parts of the lamb must be eaten.

Those who believe in Jesus must feed on the mind of Jesus Phil 2:5 1Corinth. 2:16 Romans 2:12 Eph 44:21-23 Heb. 8:10
The legs speak of our walk Col 2:6 and how are the believers in Jesus to walk? Rom. 6:4 8:1,4 2Cor. 5:7 Gal. 5:16 Eph. 2:10 5:2,8 Col 1:10, 4:5 1 Thess 4:1 1John 1:7 2John 1:6 3 John 1:4

The lamb must be eaten in hast ex. 12:11

Bible believers must be quick to leave egypt (the infulences of this world) and run toward the life that is in Jesus Luke 19:5-6

The lamb must be eaten with our loins girded.Ex 12:11

Our loins girded speaks of our hearts desire to eagerly serve and obey God. Luke 12:35 Eph. 6:14 1Pet. 1:13

Shoes must be on our feet Ex.12:11
This speaks of our walk with God Romans 10:15 Eph 6:15

A staff must be in our hand Ex 12:11

This speaks about the believers authority in the Kingdom of God by the name of Jesus Matt 28:18-20
Mark 6:7-8

It is the Lords Passover Ex. 12:11

If we follow Jesus with all of our hearts, we pass from death to life and from judgement to diveine protection John 5:24 1John 3:14 2 Cor. 5:17

not a bone of the lamb was to be broken Ex 12:43-46

Not one bone of Jesus was broken John 19:33

There was to be an explanation of the service Ex 12:25-28

Jesus explained each part of the Passover as He did the service Luke 22:14-20 1Cor. 11:23-26

The Egyptians were spoiled at the Exodus Ex. 12:31-36

satan was spoiled when Jesus died and rose again Col 2:15

You must be circumcised to eat the Passover Ex 12:48 Joshua 5:2-10

The physical act of circumcision was only a picture of the inward or spiritual circumcision that God wanted us to have Rom. 2:28-29 1Cor. 15:46 2Cor. 4:18

God has always desired for His people to be circumcised in the heart Duet 10:12-16 1Cor. 7:18-19 Gal 2:3 5:2-3 6:12-15 Eph. 2:11-13

The Passover feasts was to be a holy convocation and no work was to be done Ex 12:16

A believer finds true rest from his own works and rests in the finished work of Jesus

The Exodus was on eagles wings Ex 19:4, Duet 32:9-13 Is 31:5 40:31 Luke 17:33-37 Rev. 12:6, 14

They sang a song of rejoicing to the Lord Ex. 15:1, 19-21

Whenever a believer experiences and understands the meaning of Passover, there is a spirit of rejoicing to the Lord for his/her deliverence from sin and the experience of newness of life in Him.

the Passover supper always ends with songs of rejoicing. Mark 14:26

During the celebration of Passover, 3 cakes of unleavened bread are placed one upon the other with a napkin between each cake. At a certain point in the seder service the middle cake known as the "afikomen" or "that which came after" is broken in two.

One piece is distributed among the people present and the larger piece is hidden in a napkin. Toward the end of the Passover seder the hidden portion is brought to light and eaten by those surrounding the Passover table.

The Messianic understanding of this is that these 3 pieces of matzot(unleavened bread) represents God the Father, The Messiah Jesus, and The Holy Spirit.

the central piece is broken, a portion is eaten, and the remainder hidden and brought forth to testify of the Death, Burial and Resurrection of Jesus.

During the course of the Passover meal 4 cups of wine served to the people present and are used in the foloowing manner.

1. The cup of Blessing Luke 22:17 1Cor. 10:16 This cup is called the cup of sanctification or the Kiddush

2. The cup of Wrath Luke 22:42-44 This cup IS NOT drunk but is POURED out on the table as the plagues of Egypt are recited. Jesus drank of this cup for us in the Garden of Gethsemane and when He died on the cross.

3. The cup of Blessing, Salvation, or redeemption. This cup is filled to overflowing, symbolizing an overflowing Salvation Ps. 116:13

4. The cup of the Kingdom Luke 22:18,20 Matt 26:28-29 Jesus spoke of eating and Drinking Afresh in the Messianic age with His disciples after His resurrection.

In addition to these 4 cups another cup called the cup of Elijah is also a part of the supper. It is poured out at the very end of the supper and only Elijah himself or the Messiah was alloed to drink of this cup. When Jesus referred to Himself drinking of this cup, He was saying in no uncertain terms that He was the Messiah!

There are 4 recorded Passovers in The NT scriptures.

The 1st Passover Jesus attended at Jerusalem as an adult is recorded in John 2:13-17, Here we find Jesus at the temple being defiled with money changers. Jesus declares that "My house shall be called a house of prayer ,,, Mark 11:17

The spiritual application is that believers in Jesus are Gods temple and we are not to defile it with sin.

The 2nd Passover feast is recorded in John 5:1-15. This Passover reveals Jesus as the Healer of mens bodies and souls; the Forgiver of sin; and the Healer of disease.

In the OT Passover, Israel was to feed upon the body of the lamb and as they did, were saved from the destruction of Egypt and their bodies were healed. Ex 12:13 Ps. 105:26, 36-37

So healing is associated with Passover.

The 3rd Passover is found in John 6:1-13. In these passages Jesus is the Bread of Life, the Unleavend bread AND the heavenly Manna.

The 4th Passover is Jesus's sacrafical death on the cross. The Lamb of God and the Unleavened Bread dying despite having never sinned.

So in the Book of John in the 1st Passover Jesus is the Temple Cleanser (the spiritual temple is the physical bodies of believers)

In the 2nd Passover Jesus is the Healer of body and soul In the 3rd Passover Jesus is the Bread of Life. And in the 4th Passover Jesus is the Lamb of God slain for the sins of the world.

Passover is also referred to as "The Feast of Our Freedom"

You see, this is not just a "Jewish" thing. For Jesus is the Feast of Our Freedom. He is to all BELIEVERS the Passover Lamb.

We have thru His Blood passed over from death unto Life. But there is still yet to come the fullness of our consumation as The Bride to the Bridegroom, The Lamb of God. There will be another Supper, One in which Jesus who desired to eat that last Passover meal will eat with us in the New Kingdom and will drink from the fruit of the vine New with us in His fathers Kingdom Matt 26:29

Yeshua did not abrogate the Feast or do away with it for it still points to the time we will be with him in the Kingdom.

When well meaning Christians try to tell me that the Feasts of God have been fulfilled (meaning done away with) I remind them that if that is so, then Jesus must be a liar because he Himself said that He would eat and drink of that Supper again with all of us in the Kingdom.

Many people celebrate His birth on December 25th and this is a celebration instituted by man not God and so I ask them why do you celebrate His birth? That has been fulfilled, right?

Or, why do you celebrate Easter (Resurrection) Sunday? That too has been fulfilled, right?

I do not understand why some well meaning believers think it is wrong for Jewish and Gentile believers to keep the Passover. For in it is the beautiful wonderful picture of our Messiah (minus easter eggs, bunnies,ect..)and what He has done for us.

But it also points to our future with Him. Where we will sing the song of Moses(Jewish believers) AND the Song of the Lamb (Gentile believers) as spoken of in Rev.

That 4th cup of Passover, called the cup of the Kingdom and also referred to as the Cup of Praise will be lifted by Jesus Himself and He along with us will raise our cups and drink that final redeemption cup at the Marriage Supper of the "Lamb".

Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ezk.8:15 - Then said he unto me, Hast thou seen this, O son of man? turn thee yet again, and thou shalt see greater abominations than these.
16 And he brought me into the inner court of the LORD’S house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the LORD, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the LORD, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/christian_seder.shtml

the other side of the coin.
betty

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Wow Thunder, you have been doing your homework. I wonder if people have ever questioned just what the word "Easter" means and where it was derived from.

Easter was a pagan celebration celebrated around the time of the passover of the Jews. I believe it was around the same week. So in other words, the pagans had their celebration, and the Children of Israel had their celebration. Easter has been around for many years before Jesus was even born. And believe it or not, most pastors know this and have studied it in seminary but most are too afraid to "break with tradition".

I always say that Jesus is the Passover Lamb, NOT the Easter Ham! Ha!

Oh one more thing, you probably already know that Easter Sunrise services were also held by the pagans in Jesus day(and of course long before) The pagans would rise early to set their faces towards the sun and worship Astore(Easter) the sun-goddess also known as the Queen of Heaven.

We read about this in the book of Ezekiel.

There is a program on tonight about how these 2 holidays were joined together. I forget what channel its on.

And you are correct in that most theologins agree that the word Easter in our King James bible is a gross mistranslation for Pesach.

Here you have 2 totally different holy days representing 2 totally different dieties.

One being Passover, representative of the Son of the One True God, the other Easter, a pagan celebration worshipping the mother Fertitlity goddess and the spring equinox.

But this is so embedded deep in tradition that most Christians see no need to seperate the 2. Believeing we are Free to worship any type of way we choose.

But I disagree in that surely God is the same yesterday, today and forever and would surely not accept mixing of pagan idol worship with worship that should go to Him alone.

I'm sure Aaron learned that lesson well when he and the children of Israel built the golden calf and then declared a Feast day unto the Lord with it. God said they "corrupted themselves".

Anyways, Jesus did Arise from the dead on the 1st day of the week. I simply refer to it as Resurrection Sunday and leave it at that.

No bunnies, easter eggs, sun-rise services for me. Just thankful for what He did for me.

I still participate in Passover and just as Paul suggessted I keep that feast and purge out the leaven in my life. It is a wonderful time to reflect and to celebrate what Jesus did for me.

But remember there are many truly wonderful Christians who are celebrating this day unto Him without knowing about how the 2 holidays were mixed.

It would be nice if most pastors would stand up to the plate and tell it like it should be, but i dont see it happening anytime soon. They might lose a lot of their congregants ya know.

Oh well, Ill try to find out what channel that comes on tonite.

Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Acts 12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

The word Easter appears only once in the King James Version of the Bible (and not at all in most others). In the one place it does appear,
the Greek word translated Easter here is pascha, properly translated everywhere else in the Bible as "Passover."

Referring to this mistranslation of pascha---

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible - "perhaps there never was a more unhappy, not to say absurd, translation than that in our text."

Dake's Annotated Reference Bible - "This is an unfortunate and absurd translation."

Barnes New Testament Notes - "There never was a more absurd or unhappy translation than this."

Family New Testament Notes -"There was no Christian feast called Easter in the days of Peter. And the word Pascha which is here translated Easter, means passover, and should have been so translated."

JFB Commentary -(The word in our King James Version is an ecclesiastical term of later date, and ought not to have been employed here).

And so we say we honor Jesus while we call on the name of the fertility goddess, the queen of heaven, and her rabbits and eggs.

Matthew 15:7 - Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.
9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

T7

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement