Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Literal word-false teachings....

Author Topic: Literal word-false teachings....
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe all scripture has literal and spiritual meaning, and to only take one part is to miss half of what GOD has for us.

Example - ch.3 of Zechariah;
If one only sees the literal, historical Joshua,(Yeshua in the original) the high priest, in the time of Zechariah, they have missed many spiritual points;

the condition of GOD's people at that time;

the condition of GOD's people now;

Yeshua/Jesus taking on our filthy rags/sins to be our redeemer;

the Body of Christ, with Yeshua as Head, being changed from filthy garments to new raiment;

satan was, and is, the accuser of us all.

It's not just a history lesson.

Example - Joshua/Yeshau sending the priest with the Ark of the Old Covenant into the water, which is parted by the feet of the priest,
leading the people to the land of promise.

Compare this to

Jesus/Yeshua, the Ark of the New Covenant, washing the feet of the disciples, sending them to lead the people into the land of promise.

To only see the literal and miss the spiritual connection would be sad.

be blessed in Jesus
T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 14 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do agree with you and this is a good thought provoking post.

I do think that most of the reason we have false teachers is because they have not read the entire word of God and base everything in it with the whole context of the bible. The bible is about Jesus Christ and not about us.

Yes I did some what of the same thing you did and it took about 6 months before I even heard from God. I think being born-again means we do seek God with all our heart and finally give it over to Him. This is a birthing process and it painful. Once you have heard God and know He is for real and not just something you have read about in a book, it will change you forever. Yes it is a new birth.

And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 (KJV)

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikester7579
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you say, it challenges your faith deeply. Those not willing to try and make every word of God mesh to find it's truth, will only use certain parts of it to justify what they believe truth to be, and make up their own doctrines throught this.

We are supposed to conform to the word, not the other way around.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
freddy05
Advanced Member
Member # 5854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freddy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You raise really good questions. I was considering starting a thread on the subject.

I think in the American Evangelical Church, politics has become intertwined deeply. A political view or ideology is formed, and then convenient parts of the Bible are used to back it up. Personal experiences also affect how one reads the bible. A church in a wealthy american suberb teaches that there is no problem with the gap between the rich and poor and uses Jesusī teachings and proverbs to prove it. Where the church in the inner city sees teaches that Jesus was a champion of the poor and gives a dark warning to those living the lifestyle of the upper middle class without realizing what they are doing.

Yet they use the very same Bible.

I guess I have no answers, but the issue you raise is a good one that is "uncomfortable" to consider at times. Cause it can challenge ones faith at deep levels.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ikester7579
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the reason there is so much false teachings is because we want the word to say what we want, and how we want it. And to many stray away from it's literal meaning to achieve this.

Example: In creation God said that he created in 6 days, and rested on the seventh. Now, how many ways has this been interpreted? But what does the literal word say?

So we have the argument about the word Yom, and it's meaning. But let us apply this interpretation about yom not being a day to the rest of God's word:

1) When Christ died, did He rise on the third day, or the third time period?

2) When it rained for forty days, was it really forty time periods?

3) Just how long is a time period (Yom), or is it for each individual to say what they believe it is?

4) Why is a time period (yom) only questioned in Genesis one? But yet everywhere else, in God's word, considered a normal day?

So if it does not work with other parts of God's word. Why do we apply it to creation? It is because we want a certain subject to be true, and try and combine that with the word of God. Does changing the meaning of the word for what we want make a new truth just because we say so?

Changing the meaning of the word to suit temporal evidence means we are not willing to have faith in the unseen. And if we can't build our faith in the unseen, then how can we become more faithful to a God we cannot see?

So preacher after preacher tries to make a new truth by preaching faith in temporal things, and forgetting that God exists in the spiritual. We become trained in only believing in what we can see, and start doubting what we cannot see. So a generation of preachers get raised that cater to this new truth that is based on the temporal side of creation that allows us to forget the spiritual.

We forget to pray because we are praying to something we cannot see. We get into debates defending physical things because we have little faith in the spiritual. And the new in Christ are confused and often fall away.

I have committed myself to the literal meaning of God's word, and have found more truth about it. And find more peace. Before I did this, I always felt like my faith was in some type of battle. That my mind was in some type of war. A war that separated me from God and His word.

Being brought up as a baptist made me open the word with preconceived ideas of what truth was before I read it. To find literal truth I had to become neutral on the subject, and then give it to God to show me what truth was. It took a long 6 months of tests and turmoil before I saw clarity. But most of us are not willing to do this. I know I certainly was not, but I was also at my wits end. And was willing to do what ever it took.

Not willing to commit like this is where I see the problem with a lot of preachers who teach false teachings. Because if we are not willing to commit to find truth, how do we ever expect to find it? So we fill the void with what we think we know as truth, and try and make God's word conform to it. Upon doing so, we make the word into a lie. And we deny the power of God when this is done.

We are now reaping what we have sown because we search for a truth we are not willing to wait for. We turn to man to find it when God says He will show us if we are willing to wait. But in a fast world, wait seems not like an option because we want God as fast as we can get Him. God is not like a DSL or Cable connection. He is dial up because He is eternal. And if we can't wait for Him to upload the truth at the speed He works, then we disconnect, and find a faster truth though man and miss God.

And just like the faster connection, it will cost us more because what God gives is free truth that requires us to send knee-mail and wait. But we replace it with man's truth and barely even open the word to find what God would show us.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement