Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » How Do You Deal With False Teachers?

Author Topic: How Do You Deal With False Teachers?
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hardcore:
There is rampant apostacy and endorsement of rampant apostacy spreading like a cancer within the church today; some of which is seen on this very board.

Could it be that some of your reasoning is from man's perspective, as opposed to a biblical perspective?

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.

Truer words were never spoken. [thumbsup2]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
Today, we do not have that problem anymore. Christianity is well-establshed as the new progressive revelation from the LORD and the only thing we have to deal with now within Christianity is people not having their proper "line upon line" yet, but that includes all of us.

There is rampant apostacy and endorsement of rampant apostacy spreading like a cancer within the church today; some of which is seen on this very board.

Could it be that some of your reasoning is from man's perspective, as opposed to a biblical perspective?

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof [are] the ways of death.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I would only classify an outright Elmer Gantry (although I don't know of any personally) as a type to watch out for. Someone like Jim Jones was never a Christian but a marxist, but these are the types of people to watch out for, not bornagain Christians whose doctrine is a bit off here and there; and whose isn't?
BA, these people are in the church:

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

2 Peter 2:18 For when they speak great swelling words of vanity, they allure through the lusts of the flesh, through much wantonness, those that were clean escaped from them who live in error.

19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Revelation 2:15 So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate.

Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Revelation 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
helpforhomeschoolers writes
quote:
Why do you suppose that this scripture was never used in the NT by Paul or any of the Apostles?

Why do you suppose that when Paul and Peter were leaving their parting words of caution for the church this was never mentioned as something to be concerned with?

Why do you suppose that these words were never spoken once in the NT to the Church?

Why do you suppose that in the OT it was never used to speak of any thing except physical harm?

Why do you suppose that it was never used in the scripture in the context that it is applied today?

Because it was not until NT times that Christian Judaizers became a reality who had a hard time making the transition from Moses's system to the new Christian "believe in Christ" system.

It took years, nay, decades, for this problem to be solved, and for Christianity to finally get settled in as an established fact without being pestered by Christian Judaizers who could not believe that "it was so easy" now in Christ.

Today, we do not have that problem anymore. Christianity is well-establshed as the new progressive revelation from the LORD and the only thing we have to deal with now within Christianity is people not having their proper "line upon line" yet, but that includes all of us.

I would only classify an outright Elmer Gantry (although I don't know of any personally) as a type to watch out for. Someone like Jim Jones was never a Christian but a marxist, but these are the types of people to watch out for, not bornagain Christians whose doctrine is a bit off here and there; and whose isn't?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA: I agree with you that we are to take the good and leave the bad. Trying all things. This I believe is scriptural. But it applies to the What is being taught and heard. I believe that this is because everyone has some part that is good. However, I dont find that the scripture says this about the WHO... I find it says the opposite in many places.

quote:
Seeing this many "false teachers" in the bornagain Christian faith is almost an indictment by you of the Head of the Church Himself, as if the Head Jeshua-Jesus does not know what He is doing with His church.
No, I dont think so at all. In fact it supports that OUR HEAD knows exactly what he is doing and what he is doing is perfecting the body:

1 Corinthians 11:19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

I think it is an acknowledgement of what Paul, and Peter said would come:

2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

quote:
I would rather "be afraid with David" not to touch the LORD's anointed.
Why do you suppose that this scripture was never used in the NT by Paul or any of the Apostles?

Why do you suppose that when Paul and Peter were leaving their parting words of caution for the church this was never mentioned as something to be concerned with?

Why do you suppose that these words were never spoken once in the NT to the Church?

Why do you suppose that in the OT it was never used to speak of any thing except physical harm?

Why do you suppose that it was never used in the scripture in the context that it is applied today?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do I deal with false teachers? False teachers of the Bible? If I could find some, I would ignore their false parts and listen to their truthful parts if they have any; but all of us bornagain Christians have at least SOME truth to share and teach.

It depends on who he or she is, too. I've learned things about the Bible from all the various teachers and preachers who have appeared on the scene at various and sundry times.

I've not understood or accepted all that they have said, just the parts that "really spoke to my spirit" and that was backed up by scriptures that the teacher and preacher quoted, just like we do on this CBBS.

Seeing this many "false teachers" in the bornagain Christian faith is almost an indictment by you of the Head of the Church Himself, as if the Head Jeshua-Jesus does not know what He is doing with His church.

I would rather "be afraid with David" not to touch the LORD's anointed.

Every teacher and preacher over time has contributed something to the development and the birthing of Christianity in the earth and each country has had its particular time.

England was big in its day. Then came USA American televangelists which via satellite reached into countries by the millions.

"despise not the day of small beginnings"

BORN AGAIN in the USA by theh [Cross] of Jeshua

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Amen!!!
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In these days of theological confusion and ecclesiastical compromise, what is the Biblical position for the Bible believer to assume toward heretics and false religious teachers? Are we to patronize them, associate with them, accept their sponsorship, increase their numbers, send them converts, add to their prestige, follow their leadership, identify our churches with them, obliterate important Biblical distinctions with them??? The Bible's answer is clear.

1. Try them...I John 4:1, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but trv the spirits, whether they be of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

2. Mark them...Romans 16:17, "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

3. Rebuke them...Titus 1.13, "This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith."

4. Have no fellowship. ..Ephesians 5:11, "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

5. Withdraw thyself...II Thessalonians 3:6, "Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which ye received of us." (See also I Timothy 6:3-5).

6. Turn away from them...11 Timothy 3:5, "...Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

7. Receive them not...II John 10-11, "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed; For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. " To our day false teachings are fostered by misplaced hospitality.

8. Have no company with him. . 11 Thessalonians 3:14, "And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. "

9. Reject them...Titus 3:10, "A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition, reject."

10. Be ye separate...II Corinthians 6:17, "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

The above adapted from an article by: G. Archer Weniger, D.D.

Contend For The Faith...The Bible teaching is plain. God's people and God's churches are forbidden to make common cause with modernism. Heresy is to be exposed. The ecumenical movement is controlled by heretics. Ecumenical evangelism ignores the Scriptural teaching on sound doctrine, in order "to reach lost souls." What a farce! We should be interested in lost souls, but compromise is not God's way. Jude was interested in "the common salvation", but he also contended for "the faith."

Jude 3, 4, "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ."

Forwarded to other boards with pleasure.

~wb~

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will stand on God's Holy Word and His Rock alone for THIS IS LOVE [Smile]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very welcome and thank you for your encouraging post! It's always good to hear that folks really do care about God's instructions on how to deal with certain issues [Smile]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stophie
Community Member
Member # 5516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stophie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting read. Thanks for posting that article. It really lays down the rules for what to look for out there.
Posts: 13 | From: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 15 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cnview.com/on_line_resources/watch_out_for_false_teachers.htm

Watch Out for the False Teachers Among You
By Gil Rugh

"Paul said that these false teachers (Romans 16:17,18) are effective in deceiving believers. They're effective for two reasons: (1) These false teachers are very effective communicators-'They use smooth and flattering speech to deceive people;' _ (2) Believers aren't paying attention. Believers are unsuspecting _ They're (the false teachers) using smooth and flattering speech. They have personal magnetism about them. Our attention gets turned away from what they are saying to how they are saying it, to the impression they are making with their own personality. And when we are put in that situation we turn our attention from the content of what is being taught, and _ we open ourselves up to be deceived and turned away from our purity and devotion to Jesus Christ.

"Now, one of the ways that believers get deluded is they begin to focus on what they agree with in false teaching, but what is at issue is what we disagree with. Many believers are being deluded today [in this way]. In such a debate [with false teachers], we have to be sure to focus on what we disagree on---we have to be very careful as we are exposed to false teachers.

If we're talking about it being the power of God that establishes us, how do believers get deceived? Did God's power not work for them? _ You must understand the means of God's power according to His Gospel'. The Gospel of God is the message of Jesus Christ. He is the subject of that message. The Gospel includes everything related to His death, burial, and resurrection. The whole book of Romans is a detailed presentation of the Gospel. God's power always works in the context of His Gospel, His revealed Word. That is true not only in the initial salvation of the lost, but the ongoing salvation that the believer experiences (i.e., progressive sanctification). God's power does not work in the life of God's child to establish them, to firmly plant them, to strengthen them apart from the ministry of the Word of God in that life. If you are not being regularly exposed and taught and saturated with the Word of God, then God's power will not operate to establish you, and you will become a prey to satanic deception.

"I hope you have this underlined in your Bible.'There will also be false teachers among you.' He doesn't say maybe. We're not talking about the [cults]—we're talking about those that rise from within the Church of Jesus Christ and promote false doctrine. 'They will secretly introduce destructive heresies.' How can you secretly introduce a destructive heresy among believers? Well, you present it under the guise of being truth to believers who are unsuspecting. You present it very cleaverly, very smoothly.

"We (the Church) are more concerned with our feelings and our experiences than we are with the Truth of God. You better be looking for a place where the Word is believed and taught. That's what the Church is; it's the pillar and support of the truth. Are you looking for friends or are you looking for the truth? We want to corrupt and twist the Church to make it what people want. Come to the church that believes and teaches the truth! God's power does not operate apart from God's Word. If Satan wants to disrupt the work of God in your life, what does he do?---attack the Word, so that the power of God does not work . You could never have been saved apart from the Word of God, and you ought to understand, you can never grow, you can never be firmly planted as a child of God, unless you are constantly, constantly taking in the diet of the pure milk of the Word of God. We must have that imbedded in our hearts and minds. Never be satisfied, never tolerate anything else, than a ministry that is focused in its entirety on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

http://www.cnview.com/on_line_resources/the_bible_believer_and_heretics.htm

The Bible Believer And Heretics
What The Bible Says About A Godly Attitude Toward Heresy

In these days of theological confusion and ecclesiastical compromise, what is the Biblical position for the Bible believer to assume toward heretics and false religious teachers? Are we to patronize them, associate with them, accept their sponsorship, increase their numbers, send them converts, add to their prestige, follow their leadership, identify our churches with them, obliterate important Biblical distinctions with them??? The Bible's answer is clear.

1. Try them...I John 4:1, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but trv the spirits, whether they be of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

2. Mark them...Romans 16:17, "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

3. Rebuke them...Titus 1.13, "This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith."

4. Have no fellowship. ..Ephesians 5:11, "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

5. Withdraw thyself...II Thessalonians 3:6, "Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which ye received of us." (See also I Timothy 6:3-5).

6. Turn away from them...11 Timothy 3:5, "...Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

7. Receive them not...II John 10-11, "If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed; For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. " To our day false teachings are fostered by misplaced hospitality.

8. Have no company with him. . 11 Thessalonians 3:14, "And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. "

9. Reject them...Titus 3:10, "A man that is an heretic after the first and second admonition, reject."

10. Be ye separate...II Corinthians 6:17, "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you."

The above adapted from an article by: G. Archer Weniger, D.D.

Contend For The Faith...The Bible teaching is plain. God's people and God's churches are forbidden to make common cause with modernism. Heresy is to be exposed. The ecumenical movement is controlled by heretics. Ecumenical evangelism ignores the Scriptural teaching on sound doctrine, in order "to reach lost souls." What a farce! We should be interested in lost souls, but compromise is not God's way. Jude was interested in "the common salvation", but he also contended for "the faith."

Jude 3, 4, "Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ."

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement