Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » WOF

Author Topic: WOF
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 16 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rancan6776:
Knowone knows for sure what the "thorn" in Paul's side was. It sure did bother Paul though didn't it? In fact Paul asked God to remove it three times and God said no Paul your faith is not enough. Oh that is not what He said He said my GRACE is sufficient. It had nothing to do with his measure of faith. Im sure Paul was a man of little faith anyway.

It was his eyes.They were burned by the glory of God and never would be the same.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rancan6776
Advanced Member
Member # 3943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rancan6776     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thing...if the claim is, that if there was a healing that took place becasue of the measure of someone elses faith and if that person who is stating this claim believes that they have sufficient faith to stay healthy then shame on them for not being on thier knees 24/7 praying for everyone with an ailmnent that lacks enough faith to be healed. The bible says that we are to edify each other help each other out when a brethren is down.
Posts: 52 | From: east texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rancan6776
Advanced Member
Member # 3943

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rancan6776     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowone knows for sure what the "thorn" in Paul's side was. It sure did bother Paul though didn't it? In fact Paul asked God to remove it three times and God said no Paul your faith is not enough. Oh that is not what He said He said my GRACE is sufficient. It had nothing to do with his measure of faith. Im sure Paul was a man of little faith anyway.
Posts: 52 | From: east texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rancan6776
Advanced Member
Member # 3943

I have been reading this debate for some time now and I got to tell you, I am really confused.

As I understand it, anyone that is ill or disabled is in that state because of their lack of faith?

I know of kids that are filled with joy of the Lord. You cant imagine the genuine love for God that these kids have. You see it, you fell it and it will make you envy the strength of their faith. The fact that these kids are dying does not rob them one bit of their joy. Lack of faith? Only a blind deaf person would even utter such. God chooses who He heals and who He does not heal. To measure someones faith by their health is quite silly. These faith healing tv evangilists put on quite a show. I am embarrassed to see such folly. They should spend more time sharing the true gospel.

For one to have enough faith to spend eternity in heaven yet that same measure of faith is not enough to allow God to heal them from their ailments is a lie straight out of hell.

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
Wild b

In the days that Jesus walked the earth in His ministry, all Jews knew the Levitical Law. They taught it to their children just as we teach our children their ABC's.

They knew it like most of us used to know American History or how to add 2 + 2.

They probably knew it better in the general public than the average secular Jewish person does now. Just like during the American Revolution War times children at age 6 could read the Bible and write thesis' better than the average college student now a days.

Boy and here I thought the only reading material was not made known to the people but by the Religious Leaders as they read it. So I think the printing press really was arround back then and a Torah in every isrealites house. Must explain why he understood by the Law that a movement of water would heal?

You have never been arround really poor people have you?

The poor did not know the Law they were taught the basic truth of the blood of the lamb by word of mouth, from father to son.

When I see the Blood , when I see the Blood, oh yeas I will pass over you.

The aknowledgements of healings of the Law required blood of a dove sprinkeled by hysope.

So why would a Law studing Isrealite be sitting at a pool of water?

Water does not save nor does it heal.

To what OT Law commands this Isrealite to do this?

Please do post.

Common. It Took a King to commission the Septuigen.

Your statements are getting off the point of the very hour for healing and your false teaching.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wild b

In the days that Jesus walked the earth in His ministry, all Jews knew the Levitical Law. They taught it to their children just as we teach our children their ABC's.

They knew it like most of us used to know American History or how to add 2 + 2.

They probably knew it better in the general public than the average secular Jewish person does now. Just like during the American Revolution War times children at age 6 could read the Bible and write thesis' better than the average college student now a days.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wparr:
How about Lazazarus being raised from the dead.

He had no faith working - he was dead.

He was raised from the dead because it was God's will.

John 5:25
"Verily, verily I say unto you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live."

Granted, I agree, that Lazarus hardly expected Jesus to raise him from the dead. Martha didn't even believe THAT. She said Jesus was too late.

They did have faith that Jesus was going to heal Lazarus.

Lazarus heard the voice of the Son of God. [Wink]

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 16 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
WhiteEagle writes
quote:
Don't say it's been proved that Faith is not required for healing unless you can really back it up. Internet preachers who write articles doesn't cut it.
Consider the paralytic man at the pool of Bethesda. He had no idea who Jesus was or that Jesus was even coming, probably until Jesus picked him out of the crowd and said, "rise up and walk" and "immediately"...

Or consider the dead maiden about whom Jesus said, "she sleeps" and they laughed him to scorn. Did the dead maiden exercise faith?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

John 5:1-15 is the story of the infirm man who couldn't walk for 38 years. He was lying beside a pool known for healing. Bethesda means "house of mercy".

He could never get into the water first as he had no one to assist him into the water, yet he stayed there waiting for a miracle.

He was Jewish, he knew about the Messiah and the promises. He didn't know who Jesus was when he met Him.

When Jesus told him to take up his bed on walk on the Sabbath Day, he had faith enough to do it. He must have known the Religious Jews would not be pleased that he was healed on the Sabbath. Scripture shows that this was the first thing they remarked upon. That man could have decided to not had faith and just laid there until the pool's waters moved again.
In verse 14 on John 5, Jesus instructs the man "behold thou art made whole, sin no more. lest a worse thing come upon thee."

Faith is more than saying we have faith, it's being obedient to Jesus. Actions speak louder than words.

The young girl was Jairus' daughter. Jairus certainly had faith as he sought Jesus out personally and fell at Jesus' feet. When they got news that the girl had died, Jesus said in Mark 5:36 "Be not afraid, only believe."

These people had faith in Jesus after they met Him.

So do you really think that a man waiting for the water to rise in a fisher understood the complex Levitical law?

Kind of reminds me of the poor during Luthers day when with money you could buy anything from the Chruch/God.

What did they call them. Oh thats right indulgences

So now tell the baseball fans how we may purchase yours.

From what you post I think walking sinnlessly.

Humm.

And I mite remind you of the rest of the scripture that you always seam to not mention.

that very hour

Matt.15

1. [28] Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Matt.17

1. [18] And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.

Matt.8

[13] And Jesus said unto the centurion(gentile), Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.

When healing is not the door that is open then soldier on thru that door of GRACE.

-

~

And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.

--------------------
That is all.....

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Lazazarus being raised from the dead.

He had no faith working - he was dead.

He was raised from the dead because it was God's will.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
WhiteEagle writes
quote:
Don't say it's been proved that Faith is not required for healing unless you can really back it up. Internet preachers who write articles doesn't cut it.
Consider the paralytic man at the pool of Bethesda. He had no idea who Jesus was or that Jesus was even coming, probably until Jesus picked him out of the crowd and said, "rise up and walk" and "immediately"...

Or consider the dead maiden about whom Jesus said, "she sleeps" and they laughed him to scorn. Did the dead maiden exercise faith?

John 5:1-15 is the story of the infirm man who couldn't walk for 38 years. He was lying beside a pool known for healing. Bethesda means "house of mercy".

He could never get into the water first as he had no one to assist him into the water, yet he stayed there waiting for a miracle.

He was Jewish, he knew about the Messiah and the promises. He didn't know who Jesus was when he met Him.

When Jesus told him to take up his bed on walk on the Sabbath Day, he had faith enough to do it. He must have known the Religious Jews would not be pleased that he was healed on the Sabbath. Scripture shows that this was the first thing they remarked upon. That man could have decided to not had faith and just laid there until the pool's waters moved again.
In verse 14 on John 5, Jesus instructs the man "behold thou art made whole, sin no more. lest a worse thing come upon thee."

Faith is more than saying we have faith, it's being obedient to Jesus. Actions speak louder than words.

The young girl was Jairus' daughter. Jairus certainly had faith as he sought Jesus out personally and fell at Jesus' feet. When they got news that the girl had died, Jesus said in Mark 5:36 "Be not afraid, only believe."

These people had faith in Jesus after they met Him.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WhiteEagle writes
quote:

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
Originally posted by Caretaker:
On December 8, 1999, Joni Eareckson Tada was on the Bible Answer Man, and made the following devastating comments about Word-Faith teachings:

"Kenneth Copeland or Kenneth Hagin or Benny Hinn - they've never called me and asked me to come on their program.

I used to listen to Hank Hannagraf who is the Bible Answer Man on the radio for about 2 years.

So I believe with 2 years of listening to him I can make a balanced opinion about his ministry.

He lacks love. His words are just words and not of the Spirit of God. He is a pure legalist. He wants to sell his own books and that is why he has a program on the radio.

I noticed over the 2 years of listening to him 5 days a week, that he only allowed people on the air who praised him up. All of them Gush about how great he is. Anyone not willing to do that doesn't get on the air, or is treated very disdainfully by ol' Hank.

I find him arrogant to the extreme. He has no love of God. He always begs for money or for people to buy his books and tapes after the show.

He puts down all other ministries.

He denies the power of God.

Joni Ereckson Tada got to go to Isreal. So she must be blessed with money. She needs to realize that Katherine Kulman or Benny Hinn aren't the source of healing. It's JESUS.

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
sister TEXASGRANDMA writes
quote:
sees who is in the room, leaves quietly. some people will never learn.
betty

Hug?

sister WhiteEagle you write that faith is needed to be healed" (my paraphrase of what you said).

On the other hand, sister WhiteEagle, it has been shown in several recent threads here that faith does not need to be present in the recipient in order for that recipient to be healed.

One example was the ruler who came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, come down with me and heal my son" and Jesus said, "I will NOT come down with you, but go, your son is healed" and the ruler believed Jesus and went his way and when he got close to home, his servants met him with the good news that his son had gotten better yesterday, at that hour.

The son who was near death probably exercised no faith whatsoever in this miracle. The article posted by SoftTouch seems very excellent on the subject.

Also, Jesus said (my paraphrase), "this kind only goes out with prayer and fasting, not just with faith, and so on.

Anyway, God bless you. I am BORN AGAIN by the shed blood of Yahshua-Jesus of Nazareth, but born in Bethlehem of Judah, of the family of David, as was promised in the Scriptures ("just fishin'")

I didn't read Softtouch's article. In Matthew 17:15-21 there is the WHOLE story about why the disciples were unable to cast the demon out of the boy. Yes at the end Jesus states that "that kind only comes out by prayer and fasting" But unless one has faith why would they bother to pray and fast? Jesus' first statement to the disciples about this incident is " O unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you?" Matt 17:17.

In verse 20 of Matthew 17 the disciples privately asked Jesus the reason WHY they couldn't cast the demon out. Jesus said to them "Because of the littleness of your FAITH...." and then he says by prayer and fasting.

I can't find the scripture for the man and his sick son, please give the reference. I remember the story. I will say that the father must have had faith for his son to be healed or why did he bother to SEEK out Jesus?

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dear brother WildB, if I just were to comment on this one part in your interesting article:
quote:
In The Tongue, a Creative Force (1976), positive confessionist Charles Capps, teaches that there are powerful "spiritual" words. Such words, which are ordinary words, can under certain circumstances, become vehicles for creative or supernatural power.
But is it not also true that they are saying, "look, you can let out of your mouth come what you want, but I am going to try to speak God's kind of words, for they are learned from the Bible and I like them better, and they will have better results in life, than Lucifer-Satan's words that I had learned until now."

Are they not also saying that, brother WildB?

May the LORD God of Israel bless all who participate on this CBBS, I am BORN AGAIN by the [Cross] of Yahshua-Jesus

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

sister TEXASGRANDMA writes
quote:
betty

Hug?

sister WhiteEagle you write that faith is needed to be healed" (my paraphrase of what you said).

On the other hand, sister WhiteEagle, it has been shown in several recent threads here that faith does not need to be present in the recipient in order for that recipient to be healed.

One example was the ruler who came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, come down with me and heal my son" and Jesus said, "I will NOT come down with you, but go, your son is healed" and the ruler believed Jesus and went his way and when he got close to home, his servants met him with the good news that his son had gotten better yesterday, at that hour.

The son who was near death probably exercised no faith whatsoever in this miracle. The article posted by SoftTouch seems very excellent on the subject.

Also, Jesus said (my paraphrase), "this kind only goes out with prayer and fasting, not just with faith, and so on.

Anyway, God bless you. I am BORN AGAIN by the shed blood of Yahshua-Jesus of Nazareth, but born in Bethlehem of Judah, of the family of David, as was promised in the Scriptures ("just fishin'")

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
So in a nutshell...who IS getting healed? There have been healings over the centuries, but woefully few compared to the prayers offered up for healing.

What was it then? Little faith? Great faith? God-given faith only? Is it God alone who chooses whom to heal?

But didn't Jesus take all of our stripes already and therefore we as bornagain Christian have almost, as it were, a "God-given legal" right to healing?

Let's say, for fun, that every bornagain Christian who raised up a prayer for healing to the LORD God of Israel and to His Son Yahshua-Jesus, was healed. Wouldn't that be a great testimony to the world.

"they wanted to see miracles, but not necessarily believe in Him"

In Jesus's First Coming to Israel in the 1st century A.D., He did not many miracles either. Does that mean that in these "last days" also not many miracles were done?

Or will it be, as a poster here recently said, that the Body of Christ will "yet do greater exploits than Jesus did" because "Jesus said we would"?

John 14:12
Truly I say to you, He who believes on Me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go to My Father.

So, what seems to be the problem? [Confused] [Prayer]

"So what seems to be the problem?"

Good question and one that we Christians need to consider very seriously.

God's Word says Healing comes by Faith. God has chosen to use the vehicle of Faith to heal. So why aren't we seeing many healings?

God's Word is not wrong. God's Word is Truth.

So our reality of not seeing the healings doesn't mean that God's Word is NOT True. It's means that something is MISSING from the equation.

So what's the problem?

I believe the problem is not nuturing that measure of Faith we are given by Jesus who is the Author and Finisher of our Faith.

Lord I believe, help mine unbelief.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

So in a nutshell...who IS getting healed? There have been healings over the centuries, but woefully few compared to the prayers offered up for healing.

What was it then? Little faith? Great faith? God-given faith only? Is it God alone who chooses whom to heal?

But didn't Jesus take all of our stripes already and therefore we as bornagain Christian have almost, as it were, a "God-given legal" right to healing?

Let's say, for fun, that every bornagain Christian who raised up a prayer for healing to the LORD God of Israel and to His Son Yahshua-Jesus, was healed. Wouldn't that be a great testimony to the world.

"they wanted to see miracles, but not necessarily believe in Him"

In Jesus's First Coming to Israel in the 1st century A.D., He did not many miracles either. Does that mean that in these "last days" also not many miracles were done?

Or will it be, as a poster here recently said, that the Body of Christ will "yet do greater exploits than Jesus did" because "Jesus said we would"?

John 14:12
Truly I say to you, He who believes on Me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go to My Father.

So, what seems to be the problem? [Confused] [Prayer]

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the first story broke about En-Ron, my husband and I were reguarly watchers of the 700 club. We watched the show faithfully and had even checked into how to become partners. The to my shock Pat Robertson was on T.V. defending En-Ron. My son lost his home, (we own the property next to him and to this day we cannot live there because it hurts my son to much even to think about that place, so we have it for sale.
his boss lost his car, and this was just two people affected by En-Ron and Pat is defending the company. I lost alot of respect for him over that.

I don't know about whether he is WOF but I found out that he is definetly for big business over the little guy.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this posted on the Rapture News message board. These False Teachers Are NOT God's Annointed

Scandal, sex and sanctimony Paul Crouch and TBN
Los Angeles Times/September 18, 2004
By Andrew Gumbel

The time was the autumn of 1996, the scene a cabin in the San Bernardino mountains near Los Angeles. The cabin was owned by the Trinity Broadcasting Network, the world's largest televangelist organisation with outlets on satellite, cable and terrestrial channels around the world. That much we know.

According to Lonnie Ford, an admittedly troubled, sometime drug addict who worked for the station, it was also the site of an inappropriate, and potentially scandalous, sexual encounter between himself and TBN's president and founder, Paul Crouch.

For eight years, Ford has been threatening to go public with the story and has written a lengthy manuscript detailing his allegations. The two sides have been in and out of court, money has changed hands and each has accused the other of acting in bad faith.

Crouch has denied everything, as well he might, since homosexuality is a big no-no in the Christian fundamentalist world which he inhabits, and which has provided him with a lifestyle of striking lavishness over 31 years.

The star evangelist on TBN, Benny Hinn, once announced that "God will destroy the homosexual community of America ... with fire".

For eight years, TBN managed to keep the story under wraps, persuading courts to keep the relevant documents sealed and threatening Ford with legal action if he tried to break the terms of a 1998 settlement and seek a publisher for his manuscript.

That changed this month, though, when the Los Angeles Times got wind of the affair and went public with at least the gist of it. Through interviews with some of those involved, including a friend of Ford's who helped him to write the manuscript, the Times pieced together a tawdry legal history in which Ford has demanded large sums in exchange for his silence, and TBN reacted first by paying up and then by branding him a liar and extortionist.

America may be about to witness its first juicy televangelist scandal in 15 years.

In a hastily issued statement last weekend, TBN described the allegations as "deplorable", "salacious" and "false", but avoided going into any details of what may or may not have transpired during that weekend in the mountains.

Ford's friend and co-author Sandi Mahlow, meanwhile, told the Times how Ford had broken down in tears after returning from the cabin near Lake Arrowhead and told her that he and Crouch had engaged in sexual acts.

"Lonnie has a lot of bad traits. One thing he isn't, and that's a liar," Mahlow said.

The Times also quoted a letter written by TBN lawyer Dennis Brewer, in which he recalled Crouch's youngest son, Matt, telling his then law partner, David Middlebrook: "I am devastated. I am confronted with having to face the fact that my father is a homosexual."

Middlebrook and the younger Crouch deny there was such a conversation.

In its statement, TBN painted Ford as a disturbed man with a history of relapses into drug addiction, something the Times piece discussed as well.

"It is a reprehensible fact of modern life that public persons like Dr Crouch are targets of such dishonest, false and scandalous claims," the statement lamented. "The lifelong ministry of Dr Crouch has been to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world."

But TBN also acknowledged it had agreed to a financial settlement with Ford - the Times put the figure at US$425,000 ($641,000) - rather than go to court to fight his twin allegations of sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

"This course of action was deemed less expensive and would avoid the bad publicity, time and effort that it would take to fight the false claims," the statement said. "Dr Crouch reluctantly agreed to this advice with the understanding that the accuser would go away and leave both he and TBN alone forever."

It is understandable that TBN has fought so hard to keep even the allegations out of the public eye. The affair's oddly compelling pairing of sex and sanctimony - whether substantiated or not - are a direct reminder of the scandals of the late 1980s that brought down preacher Jimmy Swaggart and Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker, the husband-and-wife team behind the Praise the Lord network.

Swaggart was forced to admit he was addicted to pornography and prostitutes. Jim Bakker not only admitted having an affair with an employee, a former Playboy playmate, Jessica Hahn, but was also caught trying to pay her off with US$265,000 ($400,000) from church funds - one of a string of financial improprieties that landed him in prison.

TBN shares many of the traits of those earlier televangelist outfits. Crouch and his wife, Jan - who started out as business partners of the Bakkers - like to portray themselves as humble folks doing the Lord's work and giving of themselves as they hope their viewers will give, by sending in financial contributions.

Their costumes and studio sets are as gaudy and kitsch as anything the notoriously campy Tammy Faye Bakker came up with. The motif of the station is distinctly regal, with a crest based on the British lion and unicorn (plus a religious dove). Questions have been asked about the money the Crouches have generated and how it has been spent. The Bakkers had tens of thousands of dollars of gold plating in their bathrooms, and air-conditioning in their dog kennel.

The Crouches bought a US$5 million ($7.5 million) oceanfront home in the California yachting resort of Newport Beach. They gave various explanations, suggesting the property belonged to the church and they would not be living in it, then saying the purchase was proof of the lavish rewards bestowed on them by the Almighty for their good works.

Similar lavishness appears to be in order at the couple's private offices, which occupy half of the top floor of TBN's headquarters just off a freeway in Costa Mesa, 20 minutes' drive from Newport Beach in Orange County.

The 2438 sq m personal office space is off limits to the public and press, but construction workers who helped to build it have told reporters it includes a bar and sauna, a gym, handcrafted black walnut woodwork and ornate velvet furniture.

The money issue has been exacerbated by the Crouch's singular fundraising techniques. They have some stiff competition when it comes to spinning lines to true believers and inducing them to open their wallets. Back in the 1980s, Oral Roberts once told his viewers that God would strike him down if his supporters did not send him US$8 million ($12 million) within a year. The money arrived, and Roberts' life, miraculously, was spared.

Crouch's favoured rhetoric appears to be equating his network with the Lord God himself. "If you have been healed or saved or blessed through TBN and have not contributed to [the] station, you are robbing God and will lose your reward in heaven," he said on air in 1997.

The Crouches also have a singular line in defensiveness when it comes to criticism of the station - criticism that has spanned many lawsuits and included accusations from rival Christian organisations that TBN is spreading blasphemy.

"God, we proclaim death to anything or anyone that will lift a hand against this network and this ministry that belongs to you, God," Crouch said in 1997.

A few years earlier, he reacted even more vehemently to critics he characterised as "heresy hunters." "To hell with you!" he ranted during a praise-a-thon in 1991. "Quit blocking God's bridges or God's going to shoot you - if I don't."

The Crouches are positively tame compared with Benny Hinn, the network's star performer, who has preached that Adam was a superman who flew to the moon and expressed his belief that one day the dead will be raised by watching TBN from inside their coffins.

Describing his frustrations with his enemies, Hinn once expressed regret that the Bible didn't sanction murder. "Sometimes I wish God would give me a Holy Ghost machine gun. I'd blow your head off!"

Hinn was embroiled in a legal controversy a few years ago when Mario Licciardello, a private investigator he hired to look into his ministry's finances, turned against him and threatened to publicise the dirt he had dug up. The investigator died shortly afterwards, and Hinn moved his ministry from Florida to Texas.

Licciardello has now shown up in the gay sex allegations. The Los Angeles Times found a deposition in which Licciardello quoted Hinn talking about "a sexual relationship that Paul Crouch had with his chauffeur". Hinn also said: "Paul's defence was that he was drunk." Hinn has denied saying these things, but at least one other witness has corroborated them.

In the mid-1990s, the Crouches tussled with the Federal Communications Commission over the legality of some of their station licences and only narrowly escaped being yanked off the air. In 1999, they were slapped with a lawsuit after a terminally ill woman from Virginia accused them of ripping off a novel of hers for their commercially successful end-of-the-world movie The Omega Code. The Crouches denied impropriety, but they ended up paying the woman an undisclosed amount of money.

One thing they have on their side is some powerful friends. Paul Crouch, 70, was brought up in the same Missouri town as John Ashcroft, President George Bush's fundamentalist Attorney-General, and still regards him as a close friend.

When Ashcroft was facing the Senate confirmation process in January 2001, TBN drummed up support for him in hour upon hour of programming. Who knows if Crouch will ask the country's top law officer to return the favour?

http://www.rickross.com/reference/tbn/tbn19.html

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
Once again my words are falling on deaf ears.

What do you expect for someone who accepts and follows a FALSE PROPHET like B.H.

That shows you don't accept truth, but are misled by deceiving spirits.

God makes it VERY VERY clear to have no part with false prophets.

Stop rebeling against God and His Word.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

HisGrace,

You accuse me of stealing someone else’s work and yet you can’t even apologize when you hear the truth. And you talk about talking falling on deaf ears. Maybe you are above apologizing.
betty

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

Once again my words are falling on deaf ears.

Adieu. [Cross]

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace:

SO???? Devastating?? I would give anything to know the proper context of that statement. The rest of the article has nothing to do with them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It has everything to do with the heresy of WOF, in that Kathryn Kuhlman was Benny Hinn's mentor and he has patterned his productions almost identical with hers, right down to being dressed in white, building-up the audience to a high emotional ferver with the music, and staging a production of self-grandizing.

Just as the staff ushered-out the truly infirm in order to hide Joni and all the rest, Betty's posting on Wierd Often Fanatical er WOF is right on the money, accurate and well written. This abomination has been deceiving the gulliable for generations, and the current batch of sheep shearers follows right in their footsteps.

I was once Word of Faith for over 10 years, buying into Oral Roberts, Jim Baker, Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth Hagin, and all the old time sheep shearers. Send in that seed and reap the harvest, point of contact on the TV screen, prayer cloths and holy water pablum.

When I began to truly search the Word, then the facade crumbled under the Light of God's eternal truth, and the demonic money-grubbing caterwalling became as repugnant as Hinn's wife screaming like a demoniac on stage, telling folks they need a Holy Ghost enema, and flopping on her belly on stage like a beached carp.

The Toronto Blessing, the Brownsville Revival, and all those multitudes wailing like banshees and writhing around is NOT of God and demonic in nature. God moves in the hearts and lives of His people, but not with anarchy, chaos, and not under the leadership and guidance of the moneychangers.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 18 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
quote:
On December 8, 1999, Joni Eareckson Tada was on the Bible Answer Man, and made the following devastating comments about Word-Faith teachings:

"Kenneth Copeland or Kenneth Hagin or Benny Hinn - they've never called me and asked me to come on their program.

SO???? Devastating?? I would give anything to know the proper context of that statement. The rest of the article has nothing to do with them.

I really don't see what your point is Caretaker??

-

Positive Confession

Positive Confession is the belief that if a believer speaks "spiritual" or "faith-filled" words then he can have what he says. Unfortunately, this influence has invaded the church and continues to cause much turmoil and confusion.

Many of the teachers of the word-faith movement believe that words are so powerful that they can influence the physical and spiritual worlds. For example:

In The Tongue, a Creative Force (1976), positive confessionist Charles Capps, teaches that there are powerful "spiritual" words. Such words, which are ordinary words, can under certain circumstances, become vehicles for creative or supernatural power.

When "faith-filled" spiritual words are spoken (as words of power), they can alter the physical and spiritual world. Capps says, "You see there is more to it than just saying it. The words must originate from the inner man where spiritual power is released through words."

He goes on to state that "spirit words can control both the spirit world and the physical world. Because the words themselves have power, they will work for either God or man in the same manner." He goes on:

"The spirit of man is not of this world, it is of the spirit world. The creative ability of man comes through his spirit. He speaks spirit words that work in the world of the spirit. They will also dominate the physical world. He breathes spirit life into God's Word and it becomes a living substance, working for him as it worked for God in the beginning. These spirit words dominate the natural world" (p. 117-118).

What Capps is alluding to in the above statement is his teaching that since God, "by His faith" (using words) spoke this physical world into existence; the believer, using faith, can do the same. That is, the believer can speak things into existence. However, God's word is already "quick and powerful" (Hebrews 4:12), and it is referred to as the "Word of Life" (Phillipians 2:16). It is not necessary to activate it by speaking words of faith as though it were asleep or dead! Rather, it is by hearing the "living" word that one is brought to salvation through faith in Christ. (Romans 10:17)

A number of the prosperity teachers believe that the spiritual world controls and continually forms the physical world. So, if one can learn to control the spiritual world, then he can learn to control the physical world as well. This teaching then becomes the foundation for securing individual prosperity.

That is why in Releasing the Ability of God, Capps states, "You can have what you say! (because) the powerful force of the spiritual world that creates the circumstances around us is controlled by the words of the mouth. This force comes from inside us; the confession of our mouth will cause you to possess it" (pp. 98-99, parenthesis mine). This is why he teaches, "Discipline your vocabulary," and "today your word is god over your circumstances" (pp. 101-104).

Capps also teaches that the power within a Christian, within one's spirit, functions according to unchangeable laws. He says "These principles of faith are based on spiritual laws. They work for whosoever will apply these laws" (The Tongue, p. 103).

D. R. McConnell, in his book, A Different Gospel, directly traces the origin the spiritual laws taught in positive confession to the metaphysics of E.W. Kenyon, a man of 50-60 years ago whose theology was that of Pentecostal Christian Science (A Different Gospel, pp. 3-56).

McConnell records Kenneth Copeland in The Laws of Prosperity (p. 98, 101) as saying, "You can have what you say! In fact, what you are saying is exactly what you are getting now. If you are living in poverty and lack and want, change what you are saying. It will change what you have. Discipline your vocabulary. God will be obligated to meet your needs because of His word. If you stand firmly on this, your needs will be met" (Ibid., p. 173).

McConnell further states, that E.W. Kenyon's New Thought classmate, Ralph Waldo Trine, attributes the confession of prosperity to "Occult power." He says that "Trine believed that thought is a force, and it has Occult power of unknown proportions when rightly used and wisely directed" (Ibid., p. 174).

The usage of Occult powers is, of course, a practice that the Word-Faith teachers would publicly reject. Of course, this is not to say that those offering these teachings are Occultists. They are teachers who may never have thought through the implications of the practices they advocate. They may be unaware of the similarities between certain aspects of positive confession and Occulict practices. Nevertheless, the similarities do exist, and these practices are neither Biblical nor Christian.

John Ankerberg's issue of News and Views, June 1988, p. 1, reports that these words are used in religious rituals to influence both the spirit world and the material world. The report quotes Occult magician David Conway discussing the power of magical words to affect these worlds:

"Unseparable from magical speculation about words is the theory of vibrations, which supposes that certain sounds have a powerful acoustic impact on both the spiritual and astral worlds. Like the spiritual world and astral plane can in some circumstances be affected by sound, so that verbal magic may be said to derive its power not only from the idea contained in certain words, but from the peculiar vibrations these words create when spoken" (Magic: an Occult Primer, pp. 74-75).

Occultists, of course, have long claimed the true inner nature of man is powerful, capable of exercising divine ability. This is why New Ager Benjamin Creme says, for example, "One doesn't pray to oneself, one prays to the God within. The thing is to learn to invoke that energy which is the energy of God. Prayer and worship as we know it today will gradually die out and men will be trained to invoke the (inner) power of deity" (The Reappearance of Christ and the Masters of Wisdom, pp. 135-136, parenthesis mine).

The reason that positive confessionists can place so much emphasis on the inner man and his divine power is that they think the believer is a god. Kenneth Copeland says, "You don't have a god in you, you are one" (Copeland's sermon tape The Force of Love). And Kenneth Hagin says, "The believer is as much an incarnation of God as Jesus Christ" (Hagin, Word of Faith, p. 14).

To the positive confessionist, scripture passages such as Proverbs 18:21, "Death and Life are in the power of the tongue;" and James 3:8-10 are taken as proof of this doctrine, because they believe as "little gods" they have the same power as God through their own words.

Is it any wonder that Charles Capps says "The confession of your mouth even after you have prayed correctly will determine whether or not you receive. You can release the ability of God through the words of your mouth" (Releasing the Ability of God, 1978, pp. 93, 96).

For Christians words and faith are important, but there is a limit to what words can do.

It can help or hurt a close friend or a total stranger by what one says, but to treat words as if they were some "star wars" type weapon by which one alters or manipulates reality is not biblical, but Occultic. If one could change reality by the power of words spoken, then that would put man on the same level with God. This is exactly what teachers of the "positive confession," or word-faith movement, claim.

We are told by God Himself that He spoke the creation into existence (Genesis 1). He has not given that power to anyone else!

http://www.watchman.org/reltop/posconf.htm

--------------------
That is all.....

WildB
Member # 2917

The real problem is not with those that were said to be without healing because of a lack of faith but of those that are praying over them.

You know the scripture says that the effectual fervent prayer of "the rightouss" availeth much.

Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

Not only that he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

So how much less rightoussness would be required to pray away a few clouds and storms in a weaker fellows soul?

~

--------------------
That is all.....

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I really don't see what your point is Caretaker??

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

This was fiction but the truth is behind the words. I have talked to several handicapped people who went to WOF's meetings for healing. They told me about how they were made to sit in the back and those who had illnesses that could not be seen were sent up front. It is kind of hard to "heal" someone in a wheel chair when they can't walk afterwards. I also had a Precher friend who's sister had a job working for a "WOF". She was not a Christian. Her job was to come in the service in a wheel chair and then get "healed" every night. She did this for months, going all over Texas, until she her conscince bothered her. So yes, there are fake healings. I read recently about a WOF Preacher's wife who blamed people for not getting healed and when she did not get healed, she blamed the Church for not praying hard enough.

Do I believe in healing? Yes! Only a miracle from God is why I was not born dead or died a year later. I know God heals. I also know that sometimes God says no. The truth is WOF doesn't understand that!
betty

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

His Grace,

I wrote this myself. Maybe I should sue myself. I have had stuff publish in the past. I am capable of writing. How dare you! You know handicapped does not always mean mentally challenged.
betty

My husband was with me when I wrote it. Would you like him to testify in my behalf.
betty

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

...I had read some portions of Scripture that seemed to indicate that if God's Word abided in me, and I abided in Him, I could ask whatever I wished and the request would be fulfilled and my joy would be brighter. I took that to mean that God wanted me healed. And my sister packed me into her station wagon and a couple of friends, and we drove down to the Washington DC arena and Kathryn Kuhlman swept on stage and praise choruses and testimonies and songs and all of us in the wheelchair section, we kind of like with baited breath were waiting and wondering, and nothing happened. In fact, the ushers came up to all of us in the wheelchair section, about 35 or 40 of us, and said, "Let's escort you all out early so as not to create a traffic jam, and so there I was, Hank, number 15 in line of 35 people in wheelchairs or on crutches, waiting at the stadium elevator to go up to the parking lot, and we could still hear the distant strains of the organ and piano - Kathryn Kuhlman's meeting was still going on - and I looked up and down this line of solemn-faced individuals and saw so much disappointment, and I thought "Something's wrong with this picture. Either I wasn't reading God right in His Word or God is not coming through on His promises." And I knew that wasn't true, and so Hank, it was that experience that drove me into God's Word so deep I started reading people like R. C. Sproul and J. I. Packer and Jeremiah Burrows and John Owen and Jonathan Edwards and other contemporary authors - Dr. John MacArthur, there's so many. I really dove into God's Word with both sleeves rolled up to understand the Lord's perspective on healing and I can say now that I am so grateful for the wisdom of God.

...John 5 talks about where Jesus once visited the Pool of Bethesda, and among all these disabled people He touched and healed a man paralyzed on a straw mat for over 30 years. I remember I was in the dark at night. After my bible was closed I'd picture myself at that same pool. I would imagine me dressed in maybe a rough burlap coat lying on a straw mat, perhaps even near that man that Jesus healed, and I would plead with God in prayer, "Oh, Lord, do not pass me by." I would even sing to Him that hymn, "Jesus, Jesus, hear my humble cry. While on others thou art calling, do not pass me by." I would pray that, and yet I was never healed.

Well, as you know, years later, and I began to get my spiritual act together with the Lord Jesus and I realized He was using my affliction, my paralysis to push me up against a spiritual wall with my back, getting me to seriously consider His lordship in my life - years later - in fact, just last year my husband Ken and I had a chance to visit Jerusalem, and we chose to do the old city on a hot, dry, dusty day, midday, when we knew no tour buses would be around and we'd have the place pretty much to ourselves. And Ken was pushing me in my wheelchair down the cobblestone streets and we arrived at the sheepgate, made a lefthand turn, and there, a couple of hundred yards down the path, it opened up into this grand old ruins of - my goodness, it's the pool of Bethesda. Ken, I said, would you look at this. And although you could not make out the colonnades because the ruins were crumbling and tumbling, and there's no water in the pool yet, the place was empty, and as I leaned against the guardrail with my elbow, Ken hopped the guardrail to jog down to the bottom of the pool to see if there was any water in one of the cisterns.

And while he was gone and the wind was warm and dry and the sun was hot, tears began cascading down my cheeks as I looked over this pool of Bethesda and I said, "Oh, Lord Jesus, how good of You to wait 30 years, almost as many years as that man laid on his straw mat, You waited this long to bring me to this place, a place where I imagined myself so many years ago, and I'm so grateful that You did not pass me by, because a 'no' answer to a request for healing has meant purged sin from my life, and it strengthened my commitment to you, Lord Jesus. It has forced me to depend on Your grace. It has bound me with other believers. It has produced discernment. It has disciplined my mind. It has taught me to spend my time wisely. It has given me a hope of heaven. Lord Jesus, You were so good in not healing me." And I know there are many people listening now who wish to be free of their circumstances - they are looking for an escape hatch, or maybe a quick fix for their affliction, and they think they might find it in a divorce or they are pondering maybe with the idea of suicide, such as one caller mentioned earlier. Or they're thinking that they'll find it in pills or medication, or a healing service. But the 32 years that I've been in this wheelchair and being at the Pool of Bethesda last year, has taught me that suffering is that good sheepdog, always snapping at my heals and driving me into the arms of the Shepherd. For that, I am so grateful. I am so grateful."

http://www.geocities.com/Bob_Hunter/joni.html

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

[Eek!] [Eek!]
Yes I agree, but not for the false claim that a WOF'er would say such a thing, but that some irresponsible site would print such garbage.

You quoted copryrighted material TexasGrandma and provided no source or link as to where you got it. How do we know the source is indeed reliable?

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Once there was this Church having a Friday Night Revival meeting, and it was getting close to the start of the meeting. Out front stood a deacon waiting to usher in the people, taking them in one by one. Up the ramp came a little boy in a wheel chair. The decon went over to the little boy and said “Sorry son, you can’t come to this Church.” The little boy looked shocked but went his way. A little later, a man walked up with his white cane, and again the deacon sent him on his way. A little later, a little old lady came up, walking with a cane , her hands crippled up with arthritis and she too was ushered away. Suddenly a man who was watching came up and said “Why are you sending all those who obviously need a touch from God, away from His house? Did not Jesus accept all people?” The deacon replied: “Yes, but Jesus could heal everyone. People with great faith, little faith, and even no faith." But, we here at WOF soon realized that we can only heal people who were worthy and had great faith. We tried at first allowing those with great faith and who were deemed worthy in the service, but we soon we realized that we can’t really tell who has great faith or even who is worthy. It soon became easier to just not allow anyone who is ill or handicapped in the service. “Isn’t this the wrong thing for a Church to do?” The deacon replied “But you do not understand this is a WOF Church, and we have a reputation to protect.” The man replied: “What reputation is that?”
The deacon answered: “The reputation that no one leaves a WOF services with out being healed?” [Eek!]

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement