Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Question

Author Topic: Question
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shadowmaker:
I've had this discussion before with them. NO WHERE in the Bible does it say you HAVE to be baptised. You should be but that doesnt save you. I always ask this question, "When Jesus was baptised, was he baptised in his own name?"
Ive never gotten an answer to that question.Brad

I believe baptism is an important symbol of Jesus' being baptized, but it is not a requirement for getting into heaven. Paul never baptized. The scriptures are open for interpretation because Jesus himself said in Acts 1:3 "John baptized with water, but in a just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." We must be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to get into heaven.
In every version of Jesus' baptism in The Gospels the Spirit of God descended like a dove and settled on him. And a voice from heaven said. "This is my beloved Son, and I am fully pleased with him."

Before Jesus ascended into heaven he told the disciples that the Holy Spirit would be sent as a gift of grace to all mankind. The Holy Spirit came upon the disciples and many others on the day of Pentecost shortly after that.

It is at that time that Jesus specified that baptism would be done in the hame of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit from then on.

These instructions are clearly from Jesus himself -.
"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (Matt. 28:19).

quote:
"Acts 2:38," Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."
Acts 19:5, "When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus."

In these references,'in the name of the Lord Jesus' does not mean to be baptized by the authority of Jesus Christ; but it means to be baptized for him and his service; to be consecrated in this way, and by this public profession, to him, and to his cause. The name of Jesus Christ means the same as Jesus Christ himself. To be baptized to his name is to be devoted to him. The word name is often thus used. And the profession which they were to make amounted to this: A confession of sins; a hearty purpose to turn from them; a reception of Jesus as the Messiah, and as their Saviour; and a determination to become his followers, and to be devoted to his service.

Thus, (1 Corinthians 10:2) to be "baptized unto Moses," means to take him as the leader and guide. It does not follow that in administering the ordinance of baptism they used only the name of Jesus Christ. It is much more probable that they used the form prescribed by the Saviour himself, (Matthew 28:19;) though as the peculiar mark of a Christian is that he receives and honours Jesus Christ, this name is used here as implying the whole. The same thing occurs in Acts 19:5." (Barnes' Notes)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
My son-in-law was raised in the United Pentecostal Church. They do not believe in the Trinity.

Betty, part of what you have written is over my head. What does it mean when you say they don't believe in the Trinity? They don't believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit? What exactly DO they believe in?
Right.

They believe, from what I understand, you have to be baptised in the "name of Jesus". If you are baptised in the name of the "father, the son and the holy spirit" then you werent baptised correctly. And therefore, you cant go to heaven.

I ve had this discussion before with them. NO WHERE in the Bible does it say you HAVE to be baptised. You should be but that doesnt save you. I always ask this question, "When Jesus was baptised, was he baptised in his own name?"
Ive never gotten an answer to that question.

Brad

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

I came across this scripture this morning that lines up the assurance that Jesus and God are one and the same.

Philippians 2:5-7 Your attitude should be the same that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God. He made himself nothing; he took the humble position of a slave and appeared in human form.

When we look at apostacy, we should be able to point out scriptures in black and white that come against what a certain belief purports to be true. There is no chance of misenterpreting this scripture.

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oneness Pentecostal theology affirms that there exists only one God in all the universe. It affirms the deity of Jesus and the Holy Spirit. However, Oneness theology denies the Trinity. The Trinity is the doctrine that there is one God who manifests Himself as three distinct, simultaneous persons. The Trinity does not assert that there are three gods, but only one. This is important because many groups who oppose orthodoxy, will accuse Trinitarians of believing in three gods. But this is not so. The doctrine of the Trinity is that there is one God in three persons.

Oneness theology denies the Trinity and teaches that God is a single person who was "manifested as Father in creation and as the Father of the Son, in the Son for our redemption, and as the Holy Spirit in our regeneration." Another way of looking at it is that God revealed himself as Father in the Old Testament, as the Son in Jesus during Christ’s ministry on earth, and now as the Holy Spirit after Christ’s ascension.

apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apprentice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
My son-in-law was raised in the United Pentecostal Church. They do not believe in the Trinity.

Betty, part of what you have written is over my head. What does it mean when you say they don't believe in the Trinity? They don't believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit? What exactly DO they believe in?
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son-in-law was raised in the United Pentecostal Church. They do not believe in the Trinity. I have known him for over 10 years and I honestly believe he is a Christian. I have had arguments with my daughter because she was re-baptized in Jesus' name only. I believe they are going to Heaven, but I believe they will find out they were very wrong about the trinity.

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Christian:
Just a question?
Are Apostolic's (oneness penicostal) born again Christians? and Why?

I believe that it is a dangerous route to follow when one refuses to believe in the Trinity. The scriptures say that we are filled with Jesus' Holy Spirit when we are saved. The Bible also says that God and Jesus and one and the same.

Can new followers who weren't previously born again become born again under this theology - I really don't know? I would like to receive discernment in this matter.

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will Amen that Walt! Even if you are a bit of a weirdo [Razz] My mom used to say it takes one to know one. [pound]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not disputing pretrib, I plan on being one of those wierdos myself.

My point was what church someone attends doesn't determine salvation, but their personal beliefs.

There are people sitting in dead false churches (like the catholic church) that are going to heaven.

and

There are people sitting in the best, Bible teaching, Bible living and doing churches, that won't make heaven.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

A big amen to your posting! I am in complete agreement with you! Jim, his wife, and the boys, Julie,(my daughter) and I all plan on being among those weirdos (but truly you're not and none of us are weirdos) also being taken up in the rapture!
What a wonderful day that will be! God bless you very much, Betty!

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oneness does not believe in the trinity.

As far as the pre-trib rapture, I plan on being one of the weirdo's going up in the rapture.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a member of a particular denomination DOES NOT save a person.

God DOES NOT save denominations, He saves people who are Born Again by His Holy Spirit thru faith.

If the pre-trib rapture happens, alot of churches will go on as normal - with the exception that the few weirdos will be gone.

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why is it claled the oneness, I thought it was Anglican?

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

My daughter is an Oneness and she is a Christian. She has been saved since she was a young child but join the Oneness Church after marriage. Am I thrilled about it? NO!!! I believe in the trinity.
betty

--------------------

Joe Christian
First Post
Member # 5023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Christian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a question?
Are Apostolic's (oneness penicostal) born again Christians? and Why?

--------------------
Joe Christian

Posts: 1 | From: Southern California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement