Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Neil Anderson / Randy Alcorn

Author Topic: Neil Anderson / Randy Alcorn
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apprentice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardcore, I have never had a similar experience, so I really don't know what to say. I do believe that the enemy is out to scare anyone he can away from Jesus. I also believe that calling on Jesus' name is the way to get rid of the enemy. What I thought you were going to say is that you or someone you know was possessed by a demon. As you know, there is a lot of controversy as to whether a Christian can be possessed by a demon. Possibly contrary to Neil Anderson's teachings, I don't think I believe that a Christian can have the Holy Spirit AND a demon in the same body at the same time.

For once, I get to quote scripture, which I found by opening the Bible to a random passage.

1 John 5:18 (GWT) We know that those who have been born from God don’t go on sinning. Rather, the Son of God protects them, and the evil one can’t harm them.

1 John 5:18 (MSNT) We know that no one who is a child of God lives in sin, but He who is God’s Child keeps him, and the Evil one cannot touch him.

1 John 5:18 (ASV) We know that whosoever is begotten of God sinneth not; but he that was begotten of God keepeth himself, and the evil one toucheth him not.

1 John 5:18 (DNT) We know that every one£ begotten of God does not sin, but he that has been begotten of God keeps himself, and the wicked [one] does not touch him.

1 John 5:18 (ESV) We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him.

1 John 5:18 (ISVNT) We know that the person who has been born from God does not go on sinning. Rather, the Son£ of God protects them, and the evil one cannot harm them.

1 John 5:18 (KJV) We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1 John 5:18 (NKJV) We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps £himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

1 John 5:18 (NLT) We know that those who have become part of God’s family do not make a practice of sinning, for God’s Son holds them securely, and the evil one cannot get his hands on them.

1 John 5:18 (TMSG) We know that none of the God-begotten makes a practice of sin—fatal sin. The God-begotten are also the God-protected. The Evil One can’t lay a hand on them.

1 John 5:18 (NRSV) We know that those who are born of God do not sin, but the one who was born of God protects them, and the evil one does not touch them.

1 John 5:18 (YLT) We have known that every one who hath been begotten of God doth not sin, but he who was begotten of God doth keep himself, and the evil one doth not touch him;

1 John 5:18 (KJV) We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi apprentice.

Here's what happened the first time - in a nutshell:

I was a new Christian - maybe a month or so - give or take. I was in bed and felt a presence in the room. It was bad and I knew it. I really don't know how to describe that in words any other way. If one has experienced it, they'll know what I mean. I found myself surrounded by several grayish, milky white entities. Not real tall. I'd guess they would have come up about chest high on me.

I had certainly never experienced anything like it and had never even really thought about that kind of thing being real before.

The first thing I wanted to do was get to the phone to call my best friend (now my husband), but I couldn't. They surrounded my bed and I found myself becoming literally paralyzed. I ended up literally screaming for them to leave in Jesus' name. And they did immediately.

This was most definitely the Holy Spirit speaking for me, because I wouldn't have known to say that myself. I was a brand new Christian, and had no concept of spiritual warfare, demons, the power that Jesus' name has, etc.

I've never quite understood that experience completely. Why it happened, etc., although I do have a couple of theories. I'll share my thoughts after I've heard yours. What do you think?

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apprentice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hardcore:

Yes. I will try to get back to this at some point in the a.m.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing them.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
quote:
I believe in demonic activity. I have experienced it firsthand myself on three separate occasions.

Can you share the stories with us?
Yes. I will try to get back to this at some point in the a.m.
Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

quote:
I believe in demonic activity. I have experienced it firsthand myself on three separate occasions.

Can you share the stories with us?
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm a big believer in demonic influence and activity. I'm not so sure about demonic possession, although I think I believe in that, too. That is why I ask the question: I don't want to be led astray.

Thanks for your insight.

There are many people today with all our modern medications that suffer from mental illness that no medication can touch.

I have come to see the mental illness is a physical disease that can be treated with the correct medication, but... it also is a doorway for Satan to take control of that person's mind, due to the mind's weakness in illness.

One day I was silently praying for a woman who screamed continuously inspite of receiving enough medication to put a strong healthy man in a deep sleep.

I silently prayed in Jesus name for the demons to come out of her. The woman suddenly stopped moaning and screaming and looked up at me.

She said; "There are three of us."

I couldn't free her, as she was in a nursing home that I worked in, and I wasn't allowed to pray out loud and now I wish I had been braver and done what needed to be done, but boy oh boy.

Had I prayed out loud there would have such a ruckus, that I'm sure I would have been fired and probably the police summoned. But God hadn't given me the authority in this instance either, and I found out later what a demonic stronghold that whole nursing home was under. I do not work there now.

The experience did allow God to sharpen my discernment, and God pulled me out of that place.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

That's not to say that I believe every Tom, Dick, and Harry who write a book about it. I don't. It's a subject that lends itself to being sensationalistic and a big money maker. I don't own a book on the subject.

If I had not experienced some things myself, I would probably be much more skeptical. I still think about what God's purpose was in allowing me to experience some of the things I did. I think a big part of it was Him showing me who He is and who is ultimately in control. A faith lesson maybe? Or a blessing, in that I experienced Him first-hand in a way that not everyone does? I don't know exactly.

I agree we need to be careful what we decide to read on this subject.

I feel the Lord led me to read "The Bondage Breaker" 11 years ago, when I was going through a severely bad time and was going through a divorce from a man who daughter dabbled in witchcraft. She wrote prayers or poems to Satan.

Strange things were happening and I was on a slippery slope going to the bottom mentally, emotionally, and financially.

The book helped me focus and taught me to repent of things from my own past that I never realized I needed to repent from to be free of Satan's infuence.

Christ does the battle, but we need to repent.

Things like reading the horoscope in the newspaper, using divination (which my father had taught me to do when I was a child) even though I hadn't done the divination for years and years, that "door" was still open to the enemy.

Like any book except the Bible one can take the good of it that is scriptural and leave the rest.
It's a resource. I did find it to be completely according to Bible principles.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

That's not to say that I believe every Tom, Dick, and Harry who write a book about it. I don't. It's a subject that lends itself to being sensationalistic and a big money maker. I don't own a book on the subject.

If I had not experienced some things myself, I would probably be much more skeptical. I still think about what God's purpose was in allowing me to experience some of the things I did. I think a big part of it was Him showing me who He is and who is ultimately in control. A faith lesson maybe? Or a blessing, in that I experienced Him first-hand in a way that not everyone does? I don't know exactly.

apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

quote:
I feel it's people who do not believe in any demonic activty. So yes it's a very uncomfortable subject for those who don't believe in the spiritual realm. It's uncomfortable for those who don't believe in spiritual battles and don't seem to believe that all the people delivered from demons by Jesus in the Bible were real events.
I'm a big believer in demonic influence and activity. I'm not so sure about demonic possession, although I think I believe in that, too. That is why I ask the question: I don't want to be led astray.

Thanks for your insight.

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
Neil Anderson wrote "The Bondage Breaker" and "Freedom in Christ". He's not for the wishy washy or faint of heart. He explains out scripturally about the source of Satanic strongholds and about personal spiritual warfare.

He writes out scripturally what the Bible says we are and who we are in Christ.

An excellent resource for those who need it.

Some people have put his works down, but I WOULD QUESTION WHY?

The only reason I can think of to "put his works down" would be if they don't line up with scripture. Has this been an objection that you're aware of or is it just that he tackles subjects that are uncomfortable for some?
I feel it's people who do not believe in any demonic activty. So yes it's a very uncomfortable subject for those who don't believe in the spiritual realm. It's uncomfortable for those who don't believe in spiritual battles and don't seem to believe that all the people delivered from demons by Jesus in the Bible were real events.
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:
Neil Anderson wrote "The Bondage Breaker" and "Freedom in Christ". He's not for the wishy washy or faint of heart. He explains out scripturally about the source of Satanic strongholds and about personal spiritual warfare.

The only reason I can think of to "put his works down" would be if they don't line up with scripture. Has this been an objection that you're aware of or is it just that he tackles subjects that are uncomfortable for some?
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Any comments, good or bad, on Neil Anderson, author of The Bondage Breaker? His books were recommended to me by a colleague. He is another one on Beardsley's Hit List.

Any comments regarding Randy Alcorn at Eternal Perspective Ministries?

(Please don't imply any criticisms by me as a result of these questions being posted in this particular topic. I'm asking!)

I don't know anything about Neal Anderson. I've heard his name bandied about from time to time on Christian talk radio, but can't remember what the subject matter was.

Friends have given me a couple of Randy Alcorn's fiction books, but I don't know anything about the ministry you mention. I will say that I liked the books I read; "Deadline" and "Safely Home". The books seemed to have a focus on the importance of what we do with our earthly lives, and the effect that they either do or don't ultimately have on the Kingdom. Seems to be in line with the ministry name you mentioned.

apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Any comments, good or bad, on Neil Anderson, author of The Bondage Breaker? His books were recommended to me by a colleague. He is another one on Beardsley's Hit List.

Any comments regarding Randy Alcorn at Eternal Perspective Ministries?

(Please don't imply any criticisms by me as a result of these questions being posted in this particular topic. I'm asking!)

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement