Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » David Jeremiah

Author Topic: David Jeremiah
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apprentice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oneofgods, you said exactly what I was thinking.

Chaplain Bob, my guess is that you are not Jeremiah's intended audience (regarding your "nothing new" comment). Based on your years of experience, maybe you know as much as he does. A student who knows as much as or more than the teacher knows will probably not learn much from that teacher.

His latest sermon on Habakuk was amazing. Before the sermon, I read the book in NKJV and then in The Message. It did not make much sense to me, at all. Then I went through the sermon with Bible in hand. He definitely made the book come to life. Was he 100% in tune with God's meaning? I don't know, but even at my low experience level, I would caution against anyone assuming that they are 100% correct in their interpretation.

What is his pre-Tribulation or Rapture theory? I have not listened to any sermons on Revelation, mostly out of fear.

At this point, I believe that Jeremiah, unlike MANY television pastors, is sincere. If that is not the case, I am confident that God will reveal the false teaching as I continue to grow. There may be something to learn from an alcoholic preacher, for whom we should pray, not criticize (and I am not saying that anyone was cticizing Jeremiah). This discussion is very helpful to me. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not at all impressed with people who have obtained masters degrees or doctorates in theology. I have listened to many during my 57 years as a Follower of the Lord Jesus and find, while many Christians are enthralled by their degrees, they really don't know any deeper truth than the average Believer and seem to simply parrot what they have been taught.

I have heard David Jeremiah preach many times and heard absolutely nothing new, profound or deep come from his lips and he and I part company when it comes to the "Rapture" theory.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneofgods
Community Member
Member # 5046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneofgods     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys I just started reading this thread and must say I am a big fan of Dr. Jeremiah. And no I am not going to label anyone in here (or their opinions). I do want to point out, however, that not one person who has lived on this earth, is living on this earth, or will ever live on this earth, (except Jesus of course) is perfect, nor can they ever have perfect knowledge of the bible. However, the Word of God must somehow be interpreted and used for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training, and some of these scriptures could have numerous meanings. A person cannot go through life thinking that what they believe to be correct is always going to be correct. There will be one day when you "face the music" and realize that what you have thought and believed to be true all these years (about something in particular, like Daniel's 70 weeks referring to either the ministry of Jesus or the Tribulation), actually has a different meaning or truth. Even Jesus at the beginning of his ministry believed his message was for the Jews only. And yet, he realized that it is for all. So please try not to be so closed minded while taking your walk with God. Let him guide you and give you wisdom and the ability to discern what the correct path is. Forgive me if I have stepped on toes!!
Posts: 17 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bandit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
I must admit that I have been watching Jeremiah each Sunday since this thread started, and I think he is excellent. Very strong. He seems to clearly point out the scripture that supports his points. If he is adding to or taking away from the scripture, I cannot see it, yet. It's instructive to listen to his sermon (the 60-minute version of his show has a longer sermon segment than his 30-minute show does) with NKJV Bible in hand. When he refers to a passage, even though it is on the screen, it is fun to hit pause, turn to that passage, read the passage (plus the context before and after), and then listen to his message. He seems very much on point to me. Plus, I have the greatest respect for this man who has endured two life-threatening bouts with cancer and has come back to preach. God must be happy with him.

Hello Apprentice.

Yes, I would agree that much of what many bible teachers (like David Jeremiah) teach is biblically sound. But this does not make all of what they teach biblically sound. And perhaps there is more error than you realize. Something that on the surface sounds right may not be true. A certain amount of biblical discernment must be used by the listener to judge what is being taught. This means that the listener must have previously studied the word, so that he has his own biblical "database", or foundation, upon which to draw. (Or, in the case of one who is attempting to be led by the Spirit, a biblical foundation from which the Spirit can work in one's mind. It is harder for the Spirit to lead when one has not read and studied - in other words, when the Spirit has less biblical material to work with.)

So, when such a personal biblical "database" does not exist, or is weak in certain areas, it is less likely (harder) for the listener to recognize biblical error in those areas. And the same is true for the teacher. One of the particular problems I have referred to previously in this thread is the fact that some seminaries and organizations have very strong biases towards certain doctrines, which are promoted and taught essentially without question, but which may in fact be false. (I think I have mentioned the once saved always saved doctrine and the pre-trib rapture doctrine.)

When these kinds of doctrines are taught, there are often many verses or passages which do appear to support the particular doctrinal claim. The problem I have run into is when one tries to point out that there are other verses or passages which appear to contradict the teaching in question. In my experience this is when sincere and open dialogue runs into the proverbial “brick wall”.

So, sure, I believe you when you say that a teacher like David Jeremiah has taught something and he has offered what appears to be solid biblical evidence for his teaching. But, I say again, this does not make that teaching true! Every teacher in every church or bible cult has biblical “proof” for much of what they teach. But you and I both know very well that much of what is being taught by many of these groups is plain garbage. Likewise, I’m willing to believe that teachers like David Jeremiah may be sincere in what they believe, but many teachers are simply sincerely wrong in some doctrinal areas. Don’t let the perceived “sincerity” of the teacher be your guide - let the Spirit be your guide. (Also do not assume that because a person has escaped serious illness that everything they teach is true or that God is even well-pleased with them. Evil and insincere people get well too.)

Please go back and read through this thread (my previous posts in particular). And think about the situation when someone is teaching. If you have a pastor or teacher who is in front of a group, then the teaching is essentially unidirectional. If this is so, then ask yourself the following types of questions. “What mechanisms are in place to insure that everything this person is saying are accurate and true?” “Is it possible that this person is teaching something which is wrong?” “If this person is teaching something which is wrong, why might they be doing it?” “Does this person even recognize that what they are teaching is, or might be, wrong?” “What can I do to protect myself from false teaching, be the error intentional or accidental?”

Remember, what I have seen over and over again in my 30 years as a Christian is that those in positions of authority do not want their teaching challenged or critiqued - no matter how delicately the subject is approached. And I believe a critical thinker is an unwelcome guest in most churches. A critical thinker thinks carefully about what is being taught and how it relates to other teachings and other areas of scripture. As such, a critical thinker will be the first to recognize when an inconsistency in teaching has occurred. A critical thinker will then seek to find the most biblical solution to the inconsistency - even if this means undertaking a critical reexamination of all the teachings involved - even teachings which others refuse to scrutinize. When the critical thinker undertakes this task, he or she begins by asking deep and probing questions related to all the teachings in question. This is when those in authority (most often in defense of a cherished teaching which they will never allow to be scrutinized) raise the proverbial “brick wall”. The critical thinker gets censored, and all dialogue is stopped. After having been through this several times at different churches, I believe I can characterize the situation. Those in authority recognize that they probably don’t have the biblical “proof” they once may have thought they had to support their cherished teaching, but all is not lost for them, for they can take the “easy out” by simply playing their trump card. As the one in the “position of authority”, they can simply censor the “problem maker”, and in one clean stroke they sweep the whole issue under the rug. I think such an approach is most cowardly, but then again, I have come to believe that many of those in positions of authority are just that - cowards who would rather run and hid behind their positions of authority than to have to potentially acknowledge that something they were teaching was just plain wrong. This is not to say that those in positions of authority are not Christians, just that they often behave cowardly when it comes to defending what they teach. Now, whether or not David Jeremiah is such a “cowardly” teacher, I do not know, but my suspicion would be that he probably is. This does not mean that I couldn’t learn anything from him, or that I have any personal dislike for him; it just means that I understand what the politics are if I were to try to raise questions concerning certain doctrinal teachings.

Bandit

Posts: 113 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apprentice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit that I have been watching Jeremiah each Sunday since this thread started, and I think he is excellent. Very strong. He seems to clearly point out the scripture that supports his points. If he is adding to or taking away from the scripture, I cannot see it, yet. It's instructive to listen to his sermon (the 60-minute version of his show has a longer sermon segment than his 30-minute show does) with NKJV Bible in hand. When he refers to a passage, even though it is on the screen, it is fun to hit pause, turn to that passage, read the passage (plus the context before and after), and then listen to his message. He seems very much on point to me. Plus, I have the greatest respect for this man who has endured two life-threatening bouts with cancer and has come back to preach. God must be happy with him.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bandit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I hope I haven't come across as being too negative or too harsh on David Jeremiah. I have just had a number of somewhat negative experiences dealing with such teachers. It is not that they are bad people, but in my opinion they do not approach the bible with their thinking hats on. And they don't want to have to deal with any critical thinkers in their church or Sunday school class. (Note that there is a big difference between a critical thinker and a sower of discord or heresy.)

A sower of discord or heresy has a particular agenda which is spiritually out-of-tune with scripture, and he or she is not interested in discovering the truth, but is simply wants to promote an agenda. A critical thinker, on the other hand, wants to discover biblical truth. And he wants teaching (which is presented as truth) to be supported with extensive biblical evidence. A critical thinker is not satisfied if and when certain teachings appear to clash with other teachings, or clash with other areas of scripture. And when such happens, the critical thinker wants to ask questions, and to have those questions thoughtfully answered.

I view Paul as a critical thinker. His dealings with the Bereans (and his letters) indicates that he did not simply tell people what to believe. He justified his teaching by tying it directly (and I would assume solidly) to the Old Testament scriptures. Many of those who teach today do attempt to link their teaching to the scriptures, but all too often the biblical support they give is not as solid as it should be. And when someone begins to direct attention to these weaknesses, the teachers respond, not by shoring up those weaknesses, but by censoring the one who dared to question.

My assumption is that one who teaches something as being from the word should be able to defend it from the word. In my personal experience, this is often not the case. And I personally have been censored (like just recently) when those in authority didn't want to have to answer any questions.

So if I seem to have an attitude, its because I have been actively censored at my church (got it in writing from the pastor that I am not to say anything in any bible study that does not agree with their main doctrines). The pastor has privately mentioned something about my "intellect" and he does not want me to cause others to question anything that is taught. And I have been warned from more than one person that if I were to push this, that I might be asked to leave. Now just think about it, assume Paul came in unannounced, and began to ask questions about certain teachings, what do you suppose would happen? I believe Paul would be censored in the exact same fashion as myself. (Not that I put myself equal to Paul, but I believe he would get the same treatment.) So church has become somewhat of a joke to me. Men pretending to be seekers of truth, but refusing to critically examine some popular topics they teach, and unwilling to entertain ernest and honest dialogue. Such men, in my opinion, are not behaving as Paul would have done.

Bandit

Posts: 113 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bandit:
I appreciate your agreement, Hardcore. Although you and I probably wouldn't agree eye-to-eye on every detail, at least we see the same general trends. (And since I know essentailly nothing about you, or what folks here think of you, I have no clue how they must now view me. )

Well .... you're probably a rebel around these parts Bandit. Actually, maybe worse than that. Your comments about David Jeremiah could get you labeled a judgemental heresy hunter if you're not careful. If there are any true Jeremiah fans here, we'll know soon enough.
*Note - facetious tongue planted firmly in cheek. [Wink]

quote:
In my roughly 30 years in the church, I have noticed that ernest and sincere inquery into scripture is not welcome at most churches (not all, just most). Teachers tend to teach what they think is right, regardless of whether or not they have exhaustively examined all the possibilities. When some poor soul, such as myself, comes in and asks penetrating questions, defensive barriers are immediately raised. (It appears that such teachers don't want the possibility revealed that their teaching might not fit all of scripture as well as they would like everyone to believe it does.)

But isn't the word of God a living book? Should we not therefore strive to interact with it? Is this not what the Creator wanted? Did He not say, "ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and it will be opened to you"? [Luke 11:9] And was this not in the context of spiritual discernment? [Luke 11:13] (The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Wisdom.)

Why then do most of those in positions of leadership in the "institutionalized" church slam the door shut concerning questions about certain teachings? It appears that such men (and women) love to sit at the center of attention, and enjoy being called 'teacher', but they refuse to defend many of their most cherished doctrines, and will not permit those who would raise certain questions to speak. (But shouldn't we become alarmed when those who teach openly refuse to openly defend what they teach? And if they can't - or won't publically defend it, should they even be teaching it in the first place?)

I think most churches have become oneway streets when it comes to the word of God. You come in, and they tell you what to think concerning it. And if you are given the opportunity to ask questions, and you ask the wrong ones, you will be silenced in a hurry. (Been there, done that. )

So, concerning those like David Jeremiah, they have their place. For the most part, they, with all good intention, teach what they think people should believe. But this does not make all their teachings true. They, in effect, read the word of God for their listeners, chew it for their listeners, and then spit it back out for their listeners to swallow. (Sometimes this just makes me want to puke!) I'm just one of those critical, independent thinkers who doesn't want someone to make up my mind for me. Give me advice on how to eat, or what to eat, just don't do it for me! And don't slam the door shut when it comes to an open and honest discussion of what the word actually teaches.

I guess another analogy (and perhaps a more biblical one) would be the difference between the milk of the word and the meat of the word. Lots of teachers keep feeding their listeners milk (and some of it is sour). Milk is good and appropriate for new converts, but not nutritious enough or appropriate for mature beleivers. Let's get real, its time to take the tit out of the mouth and start eating some real food. But to eat real food means to dig deep into the word. And this means asking some hard questions. Thinking for one's self may be harder than letting someone else do it, but I believe God expects us to progress from crawling to walking, to be weened from milk so that we can chew the word of God for ourselves.

Too many "Christians" have never seriously thought about what they believe. Men like David Jeremiah don't help matters much, because they themselves seem unable to think outside the theological "box" in which they have been trained. They don't teach people how to "interact" or "engage" the biblical text in a critical manner. To do so just might mean that certain favorite teachings might come into question, and this most certainly can not be allowed.

Bandit

Again, I couldn't agree more. This is why so many churches are filled with seriously lukewarm congregations - many even lulled into a false salvation - a "good people's club", if you will. We have false teaching in the pulpit and apathetic pew sitters listening (and repeating). The thinkers and discerners, those who take the Lord and His Word seriously , have left to find fellowship with like-minded brethren. Not an easy task these days.

Your intelligent approach and willingness to think and discern is a rare, but refreshing quality these days.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

quote:
Originally posted by hardcore:
Good response Bandit. I agree.

I think a lot of people who hold to certain views (Christian or not), don't even realize that they approach a subject with a predisposed opinion; an opinion which a lot of times was influenced by mere conjecture or outright misinformation.

I see this with many people I know regarding politics and religion. Examples:

Politics - Those who pride themselves as being independent thinkers can really do nothing more than repeat CNN Headlines or the drivel coming from Sunday morning talk shows. They are clueless as to how brainwashed they already are.

Religion - Those who approach the Scriptures with a firm view already in place. If one grew up entrenched in the "Hal Lindsey" or "Left Behind" era, they are already biased when opening the Bible to study the rapture. Even attending many bible studies can result in this if they were all approached from a solid pre-trib stance. In a lot of cases, they will find themselves unwittingly making Scripture fit their view, instead of learning what the Scriptures really say.

Admittedly, it is an easy trap for us to fall into. As you said "Truth on certain issues can become harder and harder to discern. Buried beneath a deep pile of doctrinal/political retoric."

I appreciate your agreement, Hardcore. Although you and I probably wouldn't agree eye-to-eye on every detail, at least we see the same general trends. (And since I know essentailly nothing about you, or what folks here think of you, I have no clue how they must now view me. [youpi] )

In my roughly 30 years in the church, I have noticed that ernest and sincere inquery into scripture is not welcome at most churches (not all, just most). Teachers tend to teach what they think is right, regardless of whether or not they have exhaustively examined all the possibilities. When some poor soul, such as myself, comes in and asks penetrating questions, defensive barriers are immediately raised. (It appears that such teachers don't want the possibility revealed that their teaching might not fit all of scripture as well as they would like everyone to believe it does.)

But isn't the word of God a living book? Should we not therefore strive to interact with it? Is this not what the Creator wanted? Did He not say, "ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and it will be opened to you"? [Luke 11:9] And was this not in the context of spiritual discernment? [Luke 11:13] (The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Wisdom.)

Why then do most of those in positions of leadership in the "institutionalized" church slam the door shut concerning questions about certain teachings? It appears that such men (and women) love to sit at the center of attention, and enjoy being called 'teacher', but they refuse to defend many of their most cherished doctrines, and will not permit those who would raise certain questions to speak. (But shouldn't we become alarmed when those who teach openly refuse to openly defend what they teach? And if they can't - or won't publically defend it, should they even be teaching it in the first place?)

I think most churches have become oneway streets when it comes to the word of God. You come in, and they tell you what to think concerning it. And if you are given the opportunity to ask questions, and you ask the wrong ones, you will be silenced in a hurry. (Been there, done that. [thumbsup2] )

So, concerning those like David Jeremiah, they have their place. For the most part, they, with all good intention, teach what they think people should believe. But this does not make all their teachings true. They, in effect, read the word of God for their listeners, chew it for their listeners, and then spit it back out for their listeners to swallow. (Sometimes this just makes me want to puke!) I'm just one of those critical, independent thinkers who doesn't want someone to make up my mind for me. Give me advice on how to eat, or what to eat, just don't do it for me! And don't slam the door shut when it comes to an open and honest discussion of what the word actually teaches.

I guess another analogy (and perhaps a more biblical one) would be the difference between the milk of the word and the meat of the word. Lots of teachers keep feeding their listeners milk (and some of it is sour). Milk is good and appropriate for new converts, but not nutritious enough or appropriate for mature beleivers. Let's get real, its time to take the tit out of the mouth and start eating some real food. But to eat real food means to dig deep into the word. And this means asking some hard questions. Thinking for one's self may be harder than letting someone else do it, but I believe God expects us to progress from crawling to walking, to be weened from milk so that we can chew the word of God for ourselves.

Too many "Christians" have never seriously thought about what they believe. Men like David Jeremiah don't help matters much, because they themselves seem unable to think outside the theological "box" in which they have been trained. They don't teach people how to "interact" or "engage" the biblical text in a critical manner. To do so just might mean that certain favorite teachings might come into question, and this most certainly can not be allowed.

Bandit

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bandit:

Hello Pat,

If you went to a school which strives to instill a certain way of thinking, and you came out without accepting it hook, line, and sinker, then good for you. But I believe the majority of students who go to a religious school probably picked that school because they already knew something about the school and agreed with it. There is therefore an element of trust. They then are already disposed to accept much of what is taught. But no system is fool-proof. There will be those (perhaps like yourself) who do not accept everything they are expected to believe.

I had a friend who went to Bob Jones who did not submit to some of their core doctrinal teachings. He had somewhat of a tough time of it. Nothing like flowing against the tide.

As for Jeremiah, he has a national cable TV show. You can watch him as well as I. I have real problems with certain teachings. One is the popular pre-trib rapture. If I remember correctly, Jeremiah is a big proponent of it, as I believe he is of the 'once saved always saved' doctrine. Both are fundamental teachings of certain seminaries. I believe both are about as wrong as you can go. Some seminaries really push these notions to the extreme. They push so hard that anyone who believes differently is viewed with suspicion. And those taught at such seminaries often learn to view with suspicion any who disagree. And that is too bad. For then there no longer remains any avenue for open and honest discussion. Those in power hold all the cards - they decide who plays and who doesn't. They not only control what is taught, but they control what questions may be asked. Truth on certain issues can become harder and harder to discern. Buried beneath a deep pile of doctrinal/political retoric.

It's not that I don't appreciate what men like Jeremiah are trying to do (convey biblical truth), but they have been locked into certain theological positions for so long that they can no longer see the forest for the trees. They are so intrenched with certain doctrines that they no longer have the ability to recognize what the truth is (or even have the ability to critically re-examine it). I find watching men like Jeremiah kind of like going to a restaurant and having the waiter not only order for you, but he even chews your food for you and then spits it back out on your plate for you to swallow. People like him tell people what to think, not how to think. There is an incredible difference.

Bandit

Good response Bandit. I agree.

I think a lot of people who hold to certain views (Christian or not), don't even realize that they approach a subject with a predisposed opinion; an opinion which a lot of times was influenced by mere conjecture or outright misinformation.

I see this with many people I know regarding politics and religion. Examples:

Politics - Those who pride themselves as being independent thinkers can really do nothing more than repeat CNN Headlines or the drivel coming from Sunday morning talk shows. They are clueless as to how brainwashed they already are.

Religion - Those who approach the Scriptures with a firm view already in place. If one grew up entrenched in the "Hal Lindsey" or "Left Behind" era, they are already biased when opening the Bible to study the rapture. Even attending many bible studies can result in this if they were all approached from a solid pre-trib stance. In a lot of cases, they will find themselves unwittingly making Scripture fit their view, instead of learning what the Scriptures really say.

Admittedly, it is an easy trap for us to fall into. As you said "Truth on certain issues can become harder and harder to discern. Buried beneath a deep pile of doctrinal/political retoric."

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Bandit:

Your suggestion that a person has to submit to and buy into the indoctrination attempted by the institute of higher learning is contrary to my personal experience. Both my undergraduate and graduate schools attempted to indoctrinate me, but they were not successful.

You obviously have some information on or at least a theological disagreement with Jeremiah. Would you be kind enough to share it? That was the purpose of my original post. I would really appreciate knowing more about him.

Patlaw

Hello Pat,

If you went to a school which strives to instill a certain way of thinking, and you came out without accepting it hook, line, and sinker, then good for you. But I believe the majority of students who go to a religious school probably picked that school because they already knew something about the school and agreed with it. There is therefore an element of trust. They then are already disposed to accept much of what is taught. But no system is fool-proof. There will be those (perhaps like yourself) who do not accept everything they are expected to believe.

I had a friend who went to Bob Jones who did not submit to some of their core doctrinal teachings. He had somewhat of a tough time of it. Nothing like flowing against the tide.

As for Jeremiah, he has a national cable TV show. You can watch him as well as I. I have real problems with certain teachings. One is the popular pre-trib rapture. If I remember correctly, Jeremiah is a big proponent of it, as I believe he is of the 'once saved always saved' doctrine. Both are fundamental teachings of certain seminaries. I believe both are about as wrong as you can go. Some seminaries really push these notions to the extreme. They push so hard that anyone who believes differently is viewed with suspicion. And those taught at such seminaries often learn to view with suspicion any who disagree. And that is too bad. For then there no longer remains any avenue for open and honest discussion. Those in power hold all the cards - they decide who plays and who doesn't. They not only control what is taught, but they control what questions may be asked. Truth on certain issues can become harder and harder to discern. Buried beneath a deep pile of doctrinal/political retoric.

It's not that I don't appreciate what men like Jeremiah are trying to do (convey biblical truth), but they have been locked into certain theological positions for so long that they can no longer see the forest for the trees. They are so intrenched with certain doctrines that they no longer have the ability to recognize what the truth is (or even have the ability to critically re-examine it). I find watching men like Jeremiah kind of like going to a restaurant and having the waiter not only order for you, but he even chews your food for you and then spits it back out on your plate for you to swallow. People like him tell people what to think, not how to think. There is an incredible difference.

Bandit

AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if a person, (whether it be a preacher or just an average guy) claims to be a Dr. and is not then that would speak volumes about his/her psychological make up. And if no one ever takes the time to check out the credentials of the would be Dr. then that would speak volumes about the Dr.’s listeners. In all fairness, if you claim to be a Dr. then you should be able to prove it.
Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Bandit:

I don't care if a preacher has a PhD. Having a PhD or even a lesser graduate degree is not a prerequisite to being a good preacher. My favorite preacher does not have one, or if he does, he has not said anything about it. However, if a person does have one, I would like to know that it was earned -- not mail order. To me, a mail order title is false pride and is VERY non-spiritual.

Your suggestion that a person has to submit to and buy into the indoctrination attempted by the institute of higher learning is contrary to my personal experience. Both my undergraduate and graduate schools attempted to indoctrinate me, but they were not successful.

You obviously have some information on or at least a theological disagreement with Jeremiah. Would you be kind enough to share it? That was the purpose of my original post. I would really appreciate knowing more about him.

Patlaw

Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

Hello all,

I don't understand the emphasis on who got what degrees from where. (Well, maybe I do.) Jesus had no degree, neither did John the Baptist (who was not a Baptist in the Southern Baptist sense of the word), and none of the apostles other than Paul had any formal religious training. In my mind, religious training at most modern seminaries means indoctrination into a certain way of thinking. To me this means certain doctrinal biases have been pushed. For example, David Jeremiah was heavily indoctrinated with a certain slant on eschatology - and a slant which is not correct!

I would prefer to know what a person actually believes rather than where that person got their degrees. To me degrees mean indoctrination, but to know what a person believes means to know something about the person - like whether or not they are led by the Spirit.

Bandit

AMH
Advanced Member
Member # 4895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is information that I did not know. Thanks. Maybe someone could give me some help with Dr. C. I. Scofield’s degree(s). Where did he go to school?

AMH

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

So it looks like Jeremiah is on the up and up. That's good news. I'm glad that he did not get honorary creditials from International Seminary, as so many other TV ministers have.
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Dr. Jeremiah was sensitive to God’s leading in his life, he followed in his father’s footsteps. In 1963, Dr. Jeremiah received a Bachelor of Arts from Cedarville College. In that same year, Dr. Jeremiah married his college sweetheart, Donna Thompson who also was attending Cedarville College as a business major. He went on to earn a Masters degree in Theology from Dallas Theological Seminary in 1967. He complete additional graduate work at Grace University and was granted the Doctor of Divinity degree from Cedarville College in 1981.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Does anyone know the source of David Jeremiah's PhD? Any comments on him as a minister would be appreciated. I really like him, so far, but I'm new at this! This site does not speak too highly of him: Beardsley Site

What is the name of the "school" in Florida where many of the TV ministers get their mail order PhD's? Supposedly the school gives credit for time spent in a ministry, which means that almost any preacher can get a PhD.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement