Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Exposing False Teaching   » Harry Potter

Author Topic: Harry Potter
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA:
Instead, I find myself being best friends with those whose understanding of the Word of God is similar to mine, and thus I value their frienship and social interaction.

BORN AGAIN
Advanced Member
Member # 5

Icon 16 posted December 23, 2004 07:05 PM Profile for BORN AGAIN Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote

Over the last 4 days, I was on vacation with several longtime friends who do not believe in the Bible, and one of them decided to use the book of Revelation and the Study Helps from the Gideon Bible he found in the hotel cabin, and the next day also 1st John, 2nd John and 3rd John to start the wood in the woodstove of the cabin, for a total of at least 20 pages. (He chose Revelation because it has a lot of fire passages.)

I did not stop him, since I was not the one doing it, but I did tell him that I was going to use 20 pages of Peterson's bird field guide to start next year's woodstove.

I am a firm believer that each person is responsible for his or her own actions before the LORD. And therefore I did tell him, "I am not the one doing it, you are."

My housemate who started the campfire with the book of Revelation through 1-2-3 John was in a serious car accident last week, with two broken collar bones, punctured lung, and broken rib.

Actually I was able to ask him in the hospital (but more kiddingly than not, of course), "Is there anything you want me to bring from home? Do you want me to bring you a Bible?"

This housemate is a pretty hardcore Darwinian and he is not the type to attribute this accident to anything other than his own stupidity at not paying more attention to oncoming traffic.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BA:
A Judaizer is a whole different "animal" than reading a Harry Potter book. A Judaizer wanted to lead the Galatians back under legalism instead of remaining in the new liberty which they now had in Christ Jesus, by the mercies of God. Harry Poter does not even and ever come close to trying to put Christians back under legalism.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gal. 1:
7: Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8: But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9: As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

It was not one Judasizer singular, but "some" plural, who were trying to lead astray.

Deception is deception, and one can stand against it in its multitude of forms, well prepared to give answer, or one can choose to be cavalier towards the faith.

Colossians 4:5-6 5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. 6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Caretaker, I hope you are well. You writeto BORN AGAIN
quote:
There are those that are rather nonchalant concerning the faith, with indifference to what others profess and seek to influence with. They place greater value on friendship and social interaction than they do their faith and the integrity of God's Word.{bold by BA}
Assuming for the moment that you include me in such "nonchalance concerning the faith", I can assure you that I DO NOT place "greater value on friendship and social interaction than ... the Word of God."

Instead, I find myself being best friends with those whose understanding of the Word of God is similar to mine, and thus I value their frienship and social interaction.

Not the other way around as you set it forth in this case, and thus NOT, "They place greater value on friendship and social interaction than they do their faith and the integrity of God's Word."
quote:
Paul could have stood by and allowed the Judaizers to continue to lead the Galations back into legalism. He could have shrugged his shoulders and said,"Let God sort it out". But Brother Paul declared, "Stand fast therefore in liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not again enchained in the yoke of bondage".
A Judaizer is a whole different "animal" than reading a Harry Potter book. A Judaizer wanted to lead the Galatians back under legalism instead of remaining in the new liberty which they now had in Christ Jesus, by the mercies of God. Harry Poter does not even and ever come close to trying to put Christians back under legalism.

Under other things, yes, but not that, Caretaker. Have a blessed day. [thumbsup2]

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA:

Caretaker, what Satan does and is in this world would hardly need more documentation than what we already learned in our pre-Christian life about Satan, isn't it? All his works and tactics are merely variances of the same-old-drivel that Satan has always spouted and promoted, and why rehearse it to ourselves even more than we already know?

That's like watching dramas and cop shows on TV to find out what Satan is REALLY up to, as if we don't already know.

Yet time and again we are confronted with those who are seeking to justify that same-old-drivel, repackaged and mass produced. At times we are placed in a position to counteract the latest packaging on a point-by-point basis.

As oneyearandcounting was posting from a critical angle with her rhetorical, "how many have read HP?", I can say I have read each abomination, and can neutralize that criticism, from a position of credibility. Just as Sister Hardcore could stand against the DaVinci Code from a solid Biblical position and having the credibility of knowledge of its abominable content and premice. She was able to repudiate point by point that which was being honored.

There are those that are rather nonchalant concerning the faith, with indifference to what others profess and seek to influence with. They place greater value on friendship and social interaction then they do their faith and the integrity of God's Word.

Paul could have stood by and allowed the Judaizers to continue to lead the Galations back into legalism. He could have shrugged his shoulders and said,"Let God sort it out". But Brother Paul declared, "Stand fast therefore in liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not again enchained in the yoke of bondage".

There are those who care enough to study the flavor of the month, and to determine what is truth and what is deception. There are those who place Christ first, and honor His Word. There are those who care enough to get down in the trenches and shovel through raw fertilizer so as to declare point by point why it is unpalatable table fare for those who are deceived.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Caretaker, what Satan does and is in this world would hardly need more documentation than what we already learned in our pre-Christian life about Satan, isn't it? All his works and tactics are merely variances of the same-old-drivel that Satan has always spouted and promoted, and why rehearse it to ourselves even more than we already know?

That's like watching dramas and cop shows on TV to find out what Satan is REALLY up to, as if we don't already know.

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are always so well written Caretaker.

I swear if I did ever disagree with you enough to go for a challenge, I wouldn't want the written word to be our medium.

You present good and valid points. I read The DaVinci Code for the same reason. All of a sudden I had non-believers coming out of the woodwork wanting to discuss it with me. I had to know what I was talking about. If I hadn't read it, I would have had no credibility.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA:

Caretaker writes

quote:I have read each of the Harry Potter books.

I'm astonished.

quote:Far too many have compromised with iniquity, and are blinded by the god of this world.

You have also compromised with iniquity.

I deeply appreciate you judgement BA, and I would be most interested to learn where I have compromised my faith, my stand for Christ, or my dedication to his Word, in checking-out the HP series from the Library and being able to critique the content.

I have also read the Catholic Cathechism, the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith's the Pearl of Great Price and the Doctrine and Covenants, the New World Translation, the Awake and Watchtower. It is most helpful to have read the teachings and content of false teachings and publications, if you are going to stand against them. When I was in 6th grade I was reading Homer, and other writings of Greek and also Norse mythology.

If one has actually read and studied the content of the enemy, then one can speak with a greater credibility then if one is dependent upon hearsay for ones opinion.

There are a great many nominal Christians who are not able to understand the concern in regards to the HP series. There are far too many who discount the reality of evil, and the threads of witchcraft, divination, demonology, which runs throughout the HP series. Rowling has covered all of the bases which the Word speaks against, and which too many Christians compromise with.

I have read the series and I will continue to stand for God's Word, and I will denounce the HP series having a familiarity with the abomination of the content.

I also read the Delorus Passion of The Christ, and was able to see its overwhelming and abominable influence in the Passion of the Christ, movie, although an overwhelming wave of support came from the evangelicals.

I do not think that I compromise by knowing the face of my enemy, BA, and I do not believe that I have lately compromised the faith in my postings on this forum.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Caretaker writes
quote:
I have read each of the Harry Potter books.
I'm astonished.
quote:
Far too many have compromised with iniquity, and are blinded by the god of this world.
You have also compromised with iniquity.

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

I have read each of the Harry Potter books.

I have read CS Lewis, such as the "Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe".

I have read Tolkien's, "The Hobbit", and the trilogy of the rings, going on 40 years ago.

The Harry Potter series does contain references to Greek mythology, as well as many aspects of withcraft and divination. It is a doorway for young personable children into wicca, and anti-Christian belief systems. Each book becomes darker, the evil greater, and the lines more blurred. It is not a positive influence for children, and anti-Christ in content.

I would not recommend any of the three for young children, and can certainly see the broad pathway in their overwhelming popularity.

As for Frank Peretti, the little praying Servant is a powerful presentation as a man of faith stands firm in the face of overwhelming evil. Do you discount the spiritual warfare which rages around us? Demons are not mythology, and we are in a war.

Far too many have compromised with iniquity, and are blinded by the god of this world.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneyearandcounting:
While I'm about to get fried by you all I may as well mention another Christian WRiter who likes scary things Frank Peritti. But I'm sure you all have no problem with him, C.S Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien
God bless you all
greg

Hey oneyearandcounting ....

I won't fry you! I don't agree with you on Harry Potter, but I do agree with you on the others.

I predict that down the road a way in your spiritual journey (given that it's Holy Spirit directed), you'll feel differently about Harry Potter.

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by yahsway:
I have always had a problem with CS Lewis and Tolkien so Harry Potter is no different. Neither is Disney. This stuff has been infiltrating peoples lives (ever so subtly) for years.

A pastor here in my town asked my son to draw a murial on his church youth group wall which was of dragons, sorcerors and stuff based on CS Lewis books. My son refused.

Christians should guard their eyes and ears, if not for themselves, at least for their children.

I'm with you yahsway. I don't like any of it either. And good for your son!
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always had a problem with CS Lewis and Tolkien so Harry Potter is no different. Neither is Disney. This stuff has been infiltrating peoples lives (ever so subtly) for years.

A pastor here in my town asked my son to draw a murial on his church youth group wall which was of dragons, sorcerors and stuff based on CS Lewis books. My son refused.

Christians should guard their eyes and ears, if not for themselves, at least for their children.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyearandcounting
Advanced Member
Member # 4449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneyearandcounting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious but how many of you have read the Harry Potter books? Now out of alll of you who have said they haven't how many have read the C.S. lewis books The adventures of Narnia, or have read Tolkens Lord of the Rings. Watched the same movies Or have watched any Disney Movie.

Now my point is I have done all the above. Yes I even read the HP books everyone of them. There is no difference at all between the Narnia books by Lewis and the Potter books in fact it could be said that Lewis could be mad at rowlens for stealing his idea in Narnia.
Don't even get me started on Disney. Oh know you did If we're gonna complain about the stuff in the Harry Potter books Letys not let Disney movies have a clean pass.
1) the lion king
2) snow white
3) cinderella
4) the sword and the sorcerer
5) fantasia
6) the little mermaid
7) pinochio
8) the black cauldren
9) alice in wonderland
10) aladdin
11) beuaty and the beast

I'll stop at those ten but needless to say I could list about another 20 that have sorcery of some other thing that is wrong in them or should be wrong for a Christian to partake in.
Lord of the Rings written by a Christian after he was a Christian. And go figure the are not only major biblical ovrtones to the books and movies but there is also wizards and such.
Now can I make you change yuour mind about the HP books nope. I know that before I was a Christian I saw all the Christian people making a big deal about the Harry Potter books so guess what I did I read them. Oh and guess what else I have been A Christian for over a year now and guess what I did on july 16 I read the newest Harry Potter book. You see if you have read them you would now that the creatures are actualy things from Greek and Roman mythology. And the books themselves are classical good verses evil. The spells are actually Latin words and unless you get a special magic wand with a unicorn hair or a feather from a Phonix I'm sorry to say you can't do those spells. ( that was sarcasm.) [Big Grin]

But Maybe I'm strong enough in my faith in Christ to know that Harry Potter is make believe.
Oh yeah I don't watch the movies because, well Hollywood can't do the books justice.
While I'm about to get fried by you all I may as well mention another Christian WRiter who likes scary things Frank Peritti. But I'm sure you all have no problem with him, C.S Lewis or J.R.R. Tolkien
God bless you all
greg

--------------------
Acts9:18 And straightway there fell from his eyes as it were scales, and he received his sight; and he arose and was baptized.

Posts: 183 | From: winder Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:

There have historically always been some Christians very rooted in the Word while the bulk of Christians are little rooted in the Word.

Gotta give you a hardy AMEN on that one BA!
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

hardcore writes to BORN AGAIN
quote:
Christians who are grounded in the Word don't fall for false teaching or J.K. Rowling. It's the "otherwise good Christians" who are falling for the Harry Potter deception because they aren't grounded on solid biblical doctrine.

How can you not see the connection?

I never said I did not see the connection. There is a "Catholic" "Christian" at work who is a "Catholic" by tradition, and she read The DaVinci Code and she read Harry Potter where we work.

But it is not just "Catholic" "Christians" that I am concerned about, about worldly people as well.

Most "Protestant" "Christians" are better rooted in the Word than the "Catholic" "Christians", so Protestant Christians are less likely to be deceived by Harry Potter and DaVinci.

There have historically always been some Christians very rooted in the Word while the bulk of Christians are little rooted in the Word.

In the parable of the sower, only 25% of the seed falls on good ground and takes root.

It is a lot more of the heathen worldly people and "Catholic" "Christians" who are falling for the Harry Potter deception and the DaVinci deception than Protestant Christians or "otherwise good Christians."

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
I don't doubt that J.K. Rowling is hearing from demons while she is writing this Harry Potter stuff.

And I agree with you, HisGrace, THAT is the kind of heresy stuff that we should be concerned about, not some doctrinal issues of otherwise good Christians.

It's the "otherwise good Christians" who are falling for the Harry Potter deception because they aren't grounded on solid biblical doctrine.

How can you not see the connection?

No solid biblical foundation = ripe for deception

Christians who are grounded in the Word don't fall for false teaching or J.K. Rowling.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

I don't doubt that J.K. Rowling is hearing from demons while she is writing this Harry Potter stuff.

And I agree with you, HisGrace, THAT is the kind of heresy stuff that we should be concerned about, not some doctrinal issues of otherwise good Christians.

bygrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bygrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a family member who is Christian and the entire family, staff at their church etc...they allow their kids to read Harry Potter....I was surprised at this.

bygrace

Posts: 162 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
Many Christians fear that Harry Potter books and movies are creating a doorway to the occult.

Yes, and many don't. That's why a solid understanding of an uncompromised Word is so important.
HisGrace
unregistered

Many Christians fear that Harry Potter books and movies are creating a doorway to the occult.
EMoor
Community Member
Member # 4880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EMoor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a very good article about this in the July 30 issue of World magazine called "Powerful Spell". In it, one woman, a mother of a six year old, said she pre-ordered her book the minute she found out it would be on sale. She said that during last year's pre-sale party she waited for three hours while running a 102 degree fever, but this year she's healthy and her entire family has joined the Potter craze. She is quoted as saying, and this is the disturbing part,"My husband, who never reads, has read all of them...My son hasn't read them yet, but he's seen all the movies." She said she wasn't concerned about possible negative effects of the books on children: "I'm a Christian. I'm not an extremist."

I copied the above out of World magazine. Just want to make sure they get credit.

I say, thank God for extreme Christians!

Eric

--------------------
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

Posts: 9 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
This is the kind of heresy that really disturbs me. Millions of books are being sold and corrupting innocent children with contamination of satanic witchcraft, sorcery, enchanters and necromancy, that even an adult mind has difficulty handling. Not only that, graphic movies are being produced in the name of innocent entertainment.

I agree with you totally on this. Sadly, it will continue to increase. This is what we expect to come from darkness.

Shouldn't it bother us more when the heresy comes from within the church? Shouldn't the fact that Christians let their kids read this stuff bother us more? Could it be that Christian parents without a solid biblical foundation to stand on are more vulnerable to this kind of deception?

Consider why Christian adults might not have the proper biblical foundation. Could it be because we have pastors and congregations compromising the Word week in and week out?

HisGrace
unregistered

This is the kind of heresy that really disturbs me. Millions of books are being sold and corrupting innocent children with contamination of satanic witchcraft, sorcery, enchanters and necromancy, that even an adult mind has difficulty handling. Not only that, graphic movies are being produced in the name of innocent entertainment.

About a year ago, J.K. Rowling said that each new book was going to become progressively more deeply dark and sinister. I believe she has one last book that she is working on.

I cut and pasted this quote that I posted on another thread.

Here is a quote I found regarding the movie titled The Prisoner of Azkaban -
"Yeah, we went on Friday night to the premiere. It was very different from the previous two movies in the Harry Potter series. The movie started out funny, but it quickly went spooky and sinister. It was darker, scarier with the attacking werewolf, axing of the hippogryph, the dementors sucking out souls, and the "grim", a scary looking dog/wolf with flashing eyes. The movie was quite different from the book. There were alot of children there, and it probably scared the pants off most of them. I wouldn't recommend it for young children."

J.K. Rowling's work has created memorabilia seeking, book fairs and extavaganzas in epidemic proportions. I am extremely concerned about how it is corrupting the minds of our younger generation.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement