Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » New Member Introductions   » Hi, high and higher.........

Author Topic: Hi, high and higher.........
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 15 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ablorba:
I wouldn't dare breathe to my brothers and sisters in our Baptist church that I speak in tongues. Yet, "Forbid not to speak in tongues." 1 Cor 14:39. Am I too ashamed to let them know? Yep, I am.
--Sacramento Pine

There is and was a reason for speaking in tongues. But not the speaking in an ecstatic, gibberish speech that no one understands.

... the truth about tongues, which was not only a major issue in the Corinthian assembly but it’s, to put it mildly, a major issue today. And so we speak to the times, as well as interpreting the Bible. Let me begin by saying that, at the Tower of Babel, God confused the languages of men. And the only other biblical incident that can rival that confusion of languages at Babel is the confusion of tongues at Corinth. They had so confused this issue of languages that God had given as a gift, they had so counterfeited it, they had so substituted the reality for the Satanic counterfeit that Paul had to write an entire chapter just to deal with that issue.

Now, if you’ve been with us in the past, you will remember that there is a true gift of languages. And when God gave the gifts to the early church, He gave them some miraculous gifts which were designed to be signs that authenticated the validity of the message of the new age. You see, God had spoken in the past by the fathers through the prophets, but in these last days, He has spoken in His Son, and there was a new message, and to let, particularly, to the Jewish world know that this was a new era, and there was new revelation and God was speaking again. There were attendant signs and wonders, and one of those was the ability that the apostles and some who worked with them had, to speak a language they did not know, under divine inspiration. That was the gift of languages.

We learned also that it was always a language, that it was the ability to speak a foreign language. In Acts 2, “Everybody understood in their own language,” it says. But as we come to the Corinthian situation…incidentally, the only time that the gift is ever mentioned after the Book of Acts is in Corinth, and there because it was so confused and chaotic. But as we come to the Corinthian situation, we find that they had counterfeited the real gift and substituted a pagan, ecstatic kind of speech. The true gift had been confused with ecstatic tongues, which was the counterfeit.

Now, such ecstasies and ecstatic speech is very common in pagan religion. And I’m not going to take the time this morning to go from one end of the world and one end of history to the present to prove that, but I want you to understand that. That this is a very common thing in pagan religion. I was reading an article this week about how common it is among the Zulus in Africa, this kind of ecstatic, gibberish speech.

Hear or read more here:

http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/1871/the-truth-about-tongues-part-1

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 15 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is very good on this subject. Please listen to it:

Now let me just give you a perspective. It’s the fasting growing form of religion in the last hundred years anywhere in the west. There were no Pentecostals and Charismatics in the year 1900. There are now currently, latest statistic a couple of weeks ago, half a billion and that’s a low estimate in a hundred years. And in particular since 1960 where it launched itself in a new way in mainline denominations in an Episcopalian church just down the road here, Van Nuys, California, it has exploded in the last 25 years. No Movement in the last hundred years has grown faster or done more damage to the church of Jesus Christ, the Gospel, the Cause of Christ, the true interpretation of Scripture than this Movement. The Pentecostal Charismatic Movement ignores the truth with reckless license and no restraint and is guilty of doing something that I think you need to think of in these terms. Jesus in Matthew chapter 12 condemned the Pharisees because they attributed the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. Remember? They attributed the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. And I think the Modern Movement is attributing the works of Satan to the Holy Spirit. They flipped that.

http://cdn.gty.org/sermons/High/CONF-SC12-03.mp3

quote:
I have heard, "The church is ashamed of the Holy Spirit." Forget where. This is thought provoking to me. It seems that when the Holy Spirit starts moving, as in Acts, soon after the blessing comes trouble. Not just in New Testament times either. I wouldn't dare breathe to my brothers and sisters in our Baptist church that I speak in tongues. Yet, "Forbid not to speak in tongues." 1 Cor 14:39. Am I too ashamed to let them know? Yep, I am.
--Sacramento Pine

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laina
Member # 14131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ablorba,

It's probably the abuse of the gift of tongues that many have a problem with, not the gift itself.

Each denomination has its own set of doctrines. That's why we have so many because believers split over what they disagree with.

When we speak of the church, there are many who say they are a part, but saying doesn't mean they are. There's always been a remnant throughout the scriptures.

Tares grow up among the Wheat.

Jesus said there would be tares among us. So the true church or the true believers are sprinkled all throughout the world and live out their faith within the different denominational churches or home churches.

It's not being a part of any particular denomination that makes a sinner a believer in Jesus as Lord and Savior.

It's God calling out a people as His own possession, a royal priesthood, a peculiar people, a chosen generation, a holy nation to praise Him, the one Who has called us out of a dark world and brought us into His marvelous Light!

And these people, this remnant are the ones who glorify God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. They are not ashamed of God, they happily proclaim truth, living and being led by the power of the Holy Spirit.

So I would encourage you that if you have the gift of speaking in tongues, don't be ashamed of the gift. If you really do have the gift, the Lord will use it to His glory like all the other gifts.

Unfortunately there is such an abuse with this gift. And there's probably also a misunderstanding of its purpose as well.

Blessings,
Laina

quote:
I have heard, "The church is ashamed of the Holy Spirit." Forget where. This is thought provoking to me. It seems that when the Holy Spirit starts moving, as in Acts, soon after the blessing comes trouble. Not just in New Testament times either. I wouldn't dare breathe to my brothers and sisters in our Baptist church that I speak in tongues. Yet, "Forbid not to speak in tongues." 1 Cor 14:39. Am I too ashamed to let them know? Yep, I am.
--Sacramento Pine

--------------------
He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you But to do justice, to love kindness, And to walk humbly with your God? Micah 6:8

Posts: 5 | From: United States | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wincam
Advanced Member
Member # 14085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wincam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sacramento Pine - it seems you have not read or heard what Ray Comfort and John MacArthur, both Baptists, have to say about being born again and charismatics perhaps you would care to or dare to answer for yourself - at Jn.14:17 are you the you or the world as mentioned - wincam
Posts: 89 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ablorba
Advanced Member
Member # 14122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ablorba         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--Sacramento Pine

Posts: 54 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wincam
Advanced Member
Member # 14085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wincam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all have sinned and come short of the glory of God - even Paul who slaughtered many Christians - wincam
Posts: 89 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could we please not go there?
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wincam:
Popes have been known to say and do some strange things - wincam

And perverted things like bager a few boys.

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wincam
Advanced Member
Member # 14085

Popes have been known to say and do some strange things - wincam
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, yes. Well, we all love our Wild Man. I apologize, but still this is not a Catholic board and you agreed to that when you signed up.

Did you read what the Pope said about the Holy Spirit? It negates what you said.

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wincam
Advanced Member
Member # 14085

Please notice this was in response to some wild man knocking Catholics and Catholicism and who remains uncorrected - wincam
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you signed up to be a member you agreed to the rules of this board. One of the rules states:

This is not a Catholic message board. Don't promote Roman Catholicism on this board. One needs only to know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. He alone can save you and nothing else.

Yet I will quote this from Pope Francis concerning the Holy Spirit:

But who is the Holy Spirit? In the Creed we profess with faith: "I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life." The first truth to which we adhere in the Creed is that the Holy Spirit is Kýrios, Lord. This means that He is truly God, as the Father and Son are, the object, for our part, of the same act of adoration and glorification that we address to the Father and the Son. The Holy Spirit is the third Person of the Blessed Trinity; He is the great gift of the risen Christ that opens our minds and our hearts to faith in Jesus as the Son sent by the Father and that leads us to friendship, to communion with God.

But I would like to dwell in particular on the fact that the Holy Spirit is the inexhaustible source of the life of God in us. Men of all times and all places want a life that is full and beautiful, just and good, a life that is not threatened by death but that can mature and grow to its fullness. Man is like a wanderer who, crossing the deserts of life, thirsts for a living water, gushing and fresh, able to quench deeply his profound desire for light, love, beauty and peace. We all feel this desire! And Jesus gives us this living water: It is the Holy Spirit, who proceeds from the Father and that Jesus pours out into our hearts. "I came that they might have life and have it in abundance," Jesus tells us (John 10:10).

http://www.charismamag.com/spirit/devotionals/daily-breakthroughs?view=article&id=17806:pope-francis-explains-the-importance-of-the-holy-spirit&catid=1559

wincam
Advanced Member
Member # 14085

who says so and by what authority - is it via inspiration of the HS or man made so to speak - but thanks for your greeting of welcome - but supposedly not for long[Matt10:34-36]- btw Jn.3:3 does not say anything about saying a prayer or Christians being born again as Christians - it seems you do or is this also inspired by the HS - strange is it not that no Catholic and not even the Pope know this or are inspired by the HS - wincam
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wincam:
what do I mean - just hang about awhile and find out - that is if you will be able to tolerate me - I am 86 going on for 87 still giving it and taking it - have taken many punches and hard knocks and only pulled a few - I am now well retired and a cradle to now nearly grave Catholic - responding to what most Catholics should have done but have neglected to do what was advised by our first Pope and should have been a Catholic motto but ignored by Catholics and taken over by the Boy Scouts - Be Prepared - he said to give an answer[1Peter3:15]- btw ever wondered why is it there are so few new members - it seems more of the same is not the solution but the problem - wincam

The Catholic Church Org in Rome is The W-hore of Babylon.

There is only one solution to the pollution and it aint dilution.....

The Bible will only be a story book written by men unless.......YOU ARE BORN AGAIN!

How To Be Born Again

The Sinner: "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23).

The Problem: "Jesus answered . . . Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

The Sentence: "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23).

The Saviour: "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).

The Solution: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" (Romans 10:9).

The Timing: "Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2).

Your Acceptance of God's Gift: If you really believe that Jesus Christ took your place in judgment for your sins on the Cross, you can pray the following prayer.

The Prayer: Lord Jesus Christ, be merciful to me a sinner. I do now receive you as my personal Lord and Saviour.

The Result: If you sincerely prayed the above prayer, you are now born again! (John 3:3).

Welcome to God's Family: "Therefore if any man [or woman] be in Christ, he [or she] is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Ps.There is no purgatory.

[cool_shades]

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wincam
Advanced Member
Member # 14085

what do I mean - just hang about awhile and find out - that is if you will be able to tolerate me - I am 86 going on for 87 still giving it and taking it - have taken many punches and hard knocks and only pulled a few - I am now well retired and a cradle to now nearly grave Catholic - responding to what most Catholics should have done but have neglected to do what was advised by our first Pope and should have been a Catholic motto but ignored by Catholics and taken over by the Boy Scouts - Be Prepared - he said to give an answer[1Peter3:15]- btw ever wondered why is it there are so few new members - it seems more of the same is not the solution but the problem - wincam

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement