Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Miscellaneous   » Christian Video Clips, Movies , Church Webs TV   » No Oscar Nod For God?? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: No Oscar Nod For God??
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen volodymyrdolgoruki!!!!!!

You speak the truth of God and are truly led by His Holy Spirit.

God bless you.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
volodymyrdolgoruki,

The movie Passion Of The Christ is a very powerful movie which brought about a renewal of revival around the world and has helped to bring many many non-believers to Jesus Christ!

In Christ's love,
Gramajo320

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volodymyrdolgoruki
Advanced Member
Member # 4400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for volodymyrdolgoruki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Passion won an Oscar, Mel would get it not God.

God didn't write or make that movie, Mel did.

God wrote the Bible, and the Passion does not follow the Bible very much.

If you say God was leading Mel in making the movie, then God contradicts Himself, which can't happen.

That would also make Mel a Prophet, bringing NEW word and revalation of God.

Don't elevate this movie.

Put The Gospel of Matthew, The Gospel of John, or Acts up for an Oscar, graet Word for Word movies.

--------------------
Don't wish for a better day
Be glad and use the one you're in
Fear God and do exactly what He says
That's what matters
All else fades like the flowers

Posts: 73 | From: God's Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word is the movie will be re-released as "The Passion Recut" in March to theaters across the country. But this time, it will be a re-cut version with less violence. So keep a lookout for it.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Danny

Thanks for your honesty, and sorry for my cattiness. You shut me up (partially). Actually you made some very intelligent points, and my clarification was simply that my point was the Academy wouldn't have upturned any applecarts by giving out a best-actor nomination, even if the award itself didn't come through. Only one actor can win, but there is no limit on the number of nominations that can be issued. I felt that leaving "Passion" out was biased on a level other that cinematic, and I still am not unconvinced of that.

As for the box-office numbers being stacked by church groups and people seeing the movie multiple times: that is actually a somewhat flawed statistic in my opinion, because quite a few movies have their receipts "stacked" in the same way. Do you think there were people who saw the last "Star Wars" movie more than once? And could there have been loyal fans who viewed it as a "group event" they would repeat? And... how did all those people buying multiple tickets effect the box-office numbers? It's the same issue. It doesn't invalidate "Passion's" numbers. any more than it does those of "Star Wars."

I apologize for misinterpretting your last post, concerning "conspiracies." A conspiracy isn't always the doing of an evil cabal, though. I realize Michael Moore's film was attacked by a blatant cabal of people, all of the same political persuasion (not necessarily all evil-minded) who went as far as to film counter-documentaries!

Frankly I enjoy when rational, adult conversation prevails--especially between those who may not agree.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danny458
Advanced Member
Member # 4378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danny458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By the way, it seems to me that your dislike of "Passion"
Never said I didn't like it. My main disagreement with you is over the conspiracy theory. I personally think its one of the best Jesus story movies ever made. (I liked the Matthew series personally, but I'm sure others didn't)

You mentioned in the original post that it was the most impactful movie of the year. Maybe it was for you, but its not as impactful for one who does not believe... which I can only assume (but will let God judge) the judges weren't believers, so why would it have as much impact on them?

Every year after most any award show, the Oscars especially, there is always complaining about certain movies, actors, actresses, directors, etc... that don't win.

As far as James Caviezel, yes he did a great job. If he would have won the award, that would have been great... but there are so many great actors out there. And every year you can hear complaints about who wasn't nominated. I simply don't buy the conspiracy argument.

And again, the money... if there was not the support and zeal from the conservative Christian community, the money earned would've been much less. I remember hearing a pastor mention that the church had prebooked an entire theater for multiple nights so church members could bring friends to see it. Don't you agree that those actions inflate the money earnings? I have one friend who saw it 5 times. I don't think that was uncommon either...

Posts: 89 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mohawk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Danny

In light of your comment that the Academy judges cinematic quality, not the political and/or religious content (a statement I happen to agree with), how can they justify denying James Caviezel? He was, even by your own high standards, worthy of a Best Actor nomination, wasn't he?

By the way, it seems to me that your dislike of "Passion" isn't restricted by the line you've drawn between cinematic quality and theological content. Just thought I'd point that out in case you hadn't noticed.

As to how "Passion" ended... no, I think there was some question as to how it would end... but Mel chose to include the ressurection--which I'm sure made plenty of secular types hot under the collar, considering how the film utterly dominated their precious box office.

And since we are flirting with that terrible game of semantic bait-n-switch with this conversation (I know it's coming--I can hear your gears turning even now) allow me to clarify myself, and assure you I want to keep this within the realm of civil, friendly discussion: after mulling it over, I realized my main gripe was the Academy's duplicity regarding Mr. Caviezel. I am well aware that the Academy, with logical reason, doesn't reward outsiders--they regard the film as an act of defiance within the marketplace, and any secular "conspiracy," if any, is a secondary, and cloudier, subject. But still a valid topic--my opinion.

Posts: 223 | From: california | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God doesn't need us to make Him look good. He could with the words from His mouth destroy everyone on earth and replace us with people who would appreciate Him.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danny458
Advanced Member
Member # 4378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for danny458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As for Moore his movie was just a way to try to make President Bush look bad.
And perhaps the Passion was just a movie to make Christianity look good? I think anytime a movie has strong political or religous themes, people will go to see them for reasons other than cinematic quality... which is what the academy judges. I dont think there is a conspiracy against this movie.
Posts: 89 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 17 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
danny458

So you are saying that The Passion should not win because we knew how the story would end. Well, we knew how the Ray Charles story would end and it won.
As for Moore his movie was just a way to try to make President Bush look bad. I would not go accross the street to see it and I dont' even like what President Bush does.

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
danny458
Advanced Member
Member # 4378

Icon 5 posted      Profile for danny458     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... politics and religion aside, the Passion was a good movie, but not award winning in my opinion. Good acting, but not great, good effects, but not great, predictable story line :-)

So it made a lot of money... what other movie in modern history do you know of that had organized groups (in this case, churches) sending people by the bus load to see the movie? There was lots of preaching encouraging people to bring their friends... thus causing many Christians to see the movie more than once... Plus all the contraversy before the movie started gave it a load of free advertising as well! Energizing Christians to see it, and causing many others to see it just to see what the fuss was all about!

Michael Moore didn't do too well either... does the academy have a pro bush bias???

Robby
Advanced Member
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Jesus Christ) He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.--John 1:10

And the world still doesn't know the Son of God! [Frown] Yet I praise the Lord for all the lives who have been changed because of the film. [Smile]

If I could start something, I'd wish everyone would have a "Passion Party". Instead of viewing the Oscars, that people would invite company into their homes or churches and watch the Passion of the Christ. Afterwards, then, have a time of prayer and reflection. [Prayer]

Oh well, I could always hope people would do it... [zzzzzz]

Posts: 364 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comment by Paula Zahn on her CNN Programme "Paula Zahn Now -"The Passion" took in $26 million in just its first day and ended up as last year's third biggest money-maker, taking in a staggering $370 million in the U.S., more than $600 million worldwide."

What does that tell you? I am not at all surprised at the snub by the Academy. It looks very political indeed.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

One more note. I just emailed the Academy this afternoon and (politely) commented upon their oversight of not nominating Jim Caviezel. I suggest other like-minded folks should do the same.

I won't post the website here--you can find it by typing "Academy Awards" or "Oscars" into your search engine.

See you in the popcorn line!

mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Hi Lunarius

All politics aside, "Passion" is really an Oscar caliber film. I am speaking in terms of the craftsmanship of its production. It isn't just sour grapes because the Academy is poo-pooing "Passion" out of a secular bias, or fear of controversy.

The film moved people. Yeah, some complained about the gore and violence, and referred to it as a "religious action movie," but no other film out there had people re-examining their very lives on their way out of the theater, like "Passion" did. I suggest renting or buying the DVD--since you probably will not find it playing the cineplex anymore. See it yourself and make your own decision.

If nothing else, I cannot see how Jim Caviezel was not even worthy of (even a grudging) nod from the Academy... it was a performance I will dare say not many of the best-actor nominees could've pulled off. A nomination here was the least they could've offered. Yes, again I sound like I am whining, but I have made part of my living in the performing arts... and it doesn't take a good actor to spot a great one. Jim deserved at least a nomination.

Lunarius
Advanced Member
Member # 4205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunarius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right mohawk. One day many will come to realize that the Son of Man does exist and that it is impossible to deny this. However, the sad thing is that even during and after the final events are taking place, many people will STILL not budge from their current beliefs and opinions that reflect wordly living rather than Godly living.. how sad indeed.

I can't say this for sure, but I may be one of the only (if not THE only) Christian who has not had the chance to see "The Passion of the Christ." Of course I really want to, but recent and current goings-on in my life have not given me the opportunity. Most likely a few weeks from now, this statement will be void, but in the meantime I take your comment to heart in a place of interest regarding the film not being nominated for anything. I don't follow the Academy Awards, nor am I even aware of who is nominated most of the time. So my question to everyone reading this is: From the standpoint of who you are, and what you know, having seen "The Passion," does it truly deserve nominations? I mean, we know the film does not NEED to be awarded, but the reason I ask the former is because I just want to make sure that those who speak out against the fact that it has had none are making sure that the events and makings of the movie warrant that kind of award and recognition in the general sense of filmmaking (though compared to some of the other movie mess that has apparently surface this past year I would venture to affirm this myself, even without having seen it yet).

Once I see the film I will know my own opinion of course, but I would dislike knowing that Christians have spoken out or gotten themselves in an uproar for the sake of Hollywood nonsense, when we know that the film doesn't need awards anyway.. because all people need is to interpret the truth behind its message which itself leads to the greatest, most priceless reward of salvation.

[Smile]

--------------------
"Life is a song, love is the music"

Posts: 133 | From: Alabama (currently) | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mohawk
Advanced Member
Member # 2898

Not surprising in the least. The most impactful, not to mention popular, film of 2004, Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" was all but completely shut out of the Academy Award nominations.

Is it any wonder? Not only does it espouse a subject that many in Hollywood loathe (or must pretend to loathe in order to be perceived as "hip" and/or hold onto their jobs), but it also served as Mel Gibson's reaching the level of "untouchable" in the entertainment biz. Actors who don't need Hollywood anymore--an elite club indeed. So he's labeled a kook.

Technically "Passion" is a foreign film... but that doesn't void it's qualifications as a potential "Best Picture" nominee, or Gibson himself from being a "Best Director" contender. The Academy's list of 2004 nominees is meant as a message to "Jesusland"--make no mistake. How about Jim Caviezel? Not even a "Best Actor" nom for him? What a blatant rip-off.

Did any other film hold court at theaters the way "Passion" did? Not by a long shot. The Academy is simply pretending "Passion" does not exist and turning away. Too bad. One day soon it will be impossible to pretend the Son of God doesn't exist. Pray for these people.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement