Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Why Pray??????

Author Topic: Why Pray??????
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Drew. Your icon doesn't eat froggies does it ?

May I share a story with you ?
Several months ago I met a young man who was at death's door. Brain tumor removed and went bad plus he went blind.
A fellow church member and I went to visit him in the hospital to pray over him and annoint him with oil. Apparently no one had from his church.
I'm trying to keep this short.
He asked us to pray for him when asked and we did. I went a few times to visit him and his mother said that he said he had a visit from Jesus and he would be leaving soon. He died.
Of course when this happens you can't help but feel sad and ask why. One thing I questioned was our not being elders from his church and not being asked to come see him.
Anyway, later I was talking to his mother and found that his father and his step father both died young and both had been prayed for in like manner. She gave me the feeling that she didn't really appreciate what we did...sortof. Saying that if it didn't work for them why should it for him. They were very close and I suspect that both had that feeling.
Why does the bible say to ask for an elder to go pray for them ? My answer is: The bible is always right even if we don't know why. So I suppose that the reason is that the elders know the man and his thoughts, beliefs, etc. Perhaps they could have communicated a better way than we knew how to talk to him.
Well, just wanted to share that with you.
Rivit.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Erick, and praise the Lord for your healings.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefrog
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why Pray ??? To pray is to speak to God. As a Christian, God is the only one we are told to pray to. The Word does not say to pray to Mary, or a Pile of Rocks or a Piece of Wood, just God.
Praying is a way of communication. The prefered way is to use your mouth because it just works better. We don't need to depend on a cell phone, or any kind of electronic gadget and we don't get put on hold either. Just one thing, that we need to know, is that God listenes to Christians. Perhaps I should say that he answers Christians. I will go a bit further...you can bet that he answers his followers but we may not be aware of it some of the time.
It just seems that praying (or talking)to God is a natural thing to do. We talk to our pick-ups, our horse, our pens that go dry, a tree limb we have climed out on, stuff like that. If we are married we had better communicate with our mates and kids. They need praise just like God does.
What if on "That Day" God asked, Who are You ?
We can reason 24/7 on the subject of Why, but the goodest answer is "Cause He Said So". How many times does He have to prove "Father Knows Best".
About 15 years ago it was discovered that I had 5 tumors and they were not operable. Sort of a bad situation, one was in my brain. Well, I asked Him to heal me and at the same time I thanked Him cause I knew he would fix me. He did. Three years ago, prostate cancer, operable.
It's gone now but I'm not. He helped me with that as well.
I love talking to Him. He says He likes it.
I must confess too that I stumble now and then and need to repent of something stupid I did.
It is also good to listen.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremiah333
Advanced Member
Member # 7372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremiah333   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful.
Posts: 44 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I came across this in one of my old files from several years ago, and thought I might share:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

have been wondering about something for a really long time and I've been reluctant to
ask anyone that I know so I'm asking you.
It has never made any sense to me, why we pray. I mean, God is going to do what he's
going to do (or so I've heard), so why should we ask him to change things? Another thing
that confuses me is the fact that God knows everything, i.e. our wants, needs, and
desires, so why would we have to ask him to do whatever through a prayer?
These questions probably sound a little stupid or funny to most people, but please humor
me and attempt to answer if you can. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

*~Gymnast~*

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dear Gymnast;

Our Lord Jesus Christ taught us to pray:
Matthew:
6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret;
and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
6:10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.
Amen.

During His passion in the garden, just before His arrest and execution Jesus, God the Son was in fervent prayer, communion with God the Father.
Matthew:
26:36 Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.
26:37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
26:38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
26:39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
26:40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?
26:41 Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
26:42 He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.
26:43 And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.
26:44 And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.
26:45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep on now, and take your rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

Can we which are so sinful, flawed, and imperfect, do no less than follow the example of He who was always within the perfect will of our Heavenly Father, and who was the only human who was without sin?

James: 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

We are told in James that the fervent prayer of the righteous man availeth much. The will of God for the believer is found in 1 Thess:
5:16 Rejoice evermore.
5:17 Pray without ceasing.
5:18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
5:20 Despise not prophesyings.
5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.
5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved
blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

In 1 Thess. 5:17 we are told to pray without ceasing.

If we truly love the Lord thy God with all of thy heart, thy soul, and thy mind, then we will seek to draw ever closer to Him whom we adore. As we go through the day we will often stop and say, “Praise You Lord for being ever near, faithful and true, guide my steps Dear Lord, and carry me through.”

May God bless, and draw you ever nearer to His grace and glory.

A servant of Christ,
Drew (Caretaker)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Father God envelope all who gather here with Your grace, draw us near, hold us close, lift us up, and minister Your blessings in every area of desperate need. Search our hearts Father, and purify us, that our hearts would be ever more open and able to be ever more receptive to Your Holy Spirit. Mold us and make us, guide us and direct us according to Your perfect will and eternal love for Your precious children, in Jesus' name.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement