Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » BELIEVE WHAT??

Author Topic: BELIEVE WHAT??
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the King was rejected, the messianic, Davidic kingdom was (from a human viewpoint) postponed. Though He never ceases to be King and, of course, is King today as always, Christ is never designated as King of the church (Acts 17:7 and 1 Timothy 1:17 are no exceptions, and Revelation 15:3, “King of saints,” KJV, is “King of nations” in the critical and majority texts). Though Christ is a King today, He does not rule as King. This awaits His second coming. Then the Davidic kingdom will be realized (Matt. 25:31; Rev. 19:15; 20). Then the Priest will sit on His throne, bringing to this earth the long-awaited Golden Age (Ps. 110).
Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 15 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHICH GOSPEL?
by Cornelius R. Stam

A friend asks: "Have you heard the good news?" and you reply: "What good news?" Naturally! All good news is not the same. Yet few people follow this procedure when they read in the Bible the phrase "the gospel" -- which simply means "the good news." They have been taught that "the gospel is the gospel" and "there is only one gospel," but this is simply not so in the light of the Bible itself.

God has not proclaimed only one gospel, one item of good news, down through the ages, but many. He has qualified the word "gospel" by distinctive titles, just as a woman labels her preserves to distinguish the different goodies she has put up for the winter.

The "gospel of the kingdom" and the "gospel of the grace of God" are not the same, and certainly the "gospel of the circumcision" and the "gospel of the uncircumcision" are not the same.

When we come upon the phrase "the gospel" without any qualifying title, we should immediately ask: "Which gospel?" and invariably the context will provide the answer. Luke 9:6, for example, simply states that the twelve disciples went about "preaching the gospel," but Verse 2 of the same chapter explains how the Lord had sent them "to preach the kingdom of God" -- not the cross, but the kingdom, since He, the King, was in their midst. These disciples could not have engaged in "the preaching of the cross," as Paul later did, for it was not until at least two years later that the Lord "began" to tell them how He must suffer and die (Matt. 16:21) and Peter "began to rebuke Him" (Ver. 22) and none of the twelve even understood what He was talking about (Luke 18:34).

But whereas "the gospel of the kingdom" had been committed to the twelve while Christ was on earth, "the preaching of the cross" (as good news) and "the gospel of the grace of God" was later committed to the Apostle Paul and to us (1 Cor. 1:18; Acts 20:24).

Today we do not proclaim the kingdom rights of Christ. Rather we proclaim "redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace" (Eph. 1:7).

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it, they are the same gospel.
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Michael - I know that you can not be preaching works, but it sounds that way. It sounds like we must do something to earn our way in.

[happyhappy]
Posts: 3273 | From: Charlotte N.C. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We have to find a way to make people realize that they need to accept the gift
HOW REPENTANCE IS PRODUCED

It Is a Divine Gift

Acts 11:18—“Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.” 2 Tim. 2:25—“If God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth.”

Repentance is not something which one can originate within himself, or can pump up within himself as one would pump water out of a well. It is a divine gift. How then is man responsible for not having it? We are called upon to repent in order that we may feel our own inability to do so, and consequently be thrown upon God and petition Him to perform this work of grace in our hearts.

Yet this Divine Gift Is Brought About Through the Use of Means

Acts 2:37, 38, 41. The very Gospel which calls for repentance produces it. How well this is illustrated in the experience of the people of Nineveh (Jonah 3:5-10)! When they heard the preaching of the word of God by Jonah they believed the message and turned unto God.

Not any message, but the Gospel is the instrument that God uses to bring about this desired end. Furthermore, this message must be preached in the power of the Holy Spirit (1 Thess. 1:5-10).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Jesus has paid for salvation, it us now we who must decide to accept of not.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FundamentalCharlie
Community Member
Member # 7290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FundamentalCharlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First a shout-out to all who responded, Thank you for sharing. Now, a comment or two to each. Please know that I am not trying to pick anyone apart, with that said...

Carol - How do you convey that there is something that the unbeliever needs to be saved from? Without that, is there any motivation? I know that we can not try to scare them so much of the impending doom of Hell as to make them turn to Jesus in fear, still, there has to be a little more I think.

Betty - I think that it might me a mistake to say that He is willing to... He already has! We have to find a way to make people realize that they need to accept the gift that has ALREADY been paid for, right?

Michael - I know that you can not be preaching works, but it sounds that way. It sounds like we must do something to earn our way in.

BecauseHelives - As a believer, I understand what you mean, even agree with you but what meaning would any of that have for the non-believer?

WildB - As Dorothy said to the scarecrow... "I'm going to miss you most of all." First I didn't think that I would run into the semantic game players here, yet alas...

OK, I should have said, "The Gospel that we generally refer to as the Good-News of Christ in our attempt to win souls for the kingdom." Better?

I do not think that you can call circumcision a gospel at all. That was a part of the system of law and the law gives not life but condemns to death. The announcement of the law was anything but Good news. In fact I think that it would be decidedly bad.

The question remains... How much doctrine is enough, and when does it become too much to accomplish the goal?

Posts: 12 | From: NW Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In as few words as possible, What is the Gospel?
Yahshua

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Harrison
Advanced Member
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michael Harrison     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You associate with her, and when little opportunities come up, you put in your little mention, hoping in your heart that something said will pique her interests.

I said under political discussion that BoMama repeatedly says, "I believe Jesus died for my sins." That sounds as real as it can get; but is it? Something is required on Obama's part. It is to submit, by belief that Jesus died for His sins, unto Jesus' substitutionary death, that he may 'benefit' thereof, and be raised with Jesus from the dead by like manner. Without this, nothing is assimilated. It is not 'appropriated', just because Obama 'believes'. But that is a good way for one to hold to one's self while sounding like he is confessing, or professing to believe! Jesus said that we must, "take up the cross and follow Him." There is no compromise here. To take up the cross is to lay down one's life. To do this takes baby like faith that God has the best interest at heart. HE is warmed when someone trusts this way. His eyes glimmer as they squint under a smile, and warmth radiates out from Him!

Betty Louise
Advanced Member
Member # 7175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Louise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-----------

Jesus, Son of God, left Heaven to come to earth to live and die for our sins, He rose again, and is willing to forgive our sins, if we accept Him as Savior and Lord of our lives. Just as He was resurrected, we too shall one day be resurrected into a glorious body which shall live for ever in Heaven with God.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 5051 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Message of Evangelism

Soul-winning is simple because the gospel is so simple. The essence of practically any gospel presentation simply confronts an unbeliever with basic fundamental facts:

(1) All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23)

(2) Salvation cannot be attained either by religion, ritual, or righteousness (Eph 2:8, 9)

(3) Christ died on the cross to pay for all our sins (1 John 1:7)

(4) Salvation comes by repenting from sin and by faith in Christ as Lord and Savior (Rom 10:9)

Never in the history of the church have so many tools or so much training been available to equip any Christian to share his faith in an effective, efficient manner. The problem is not ignorance. The real problem is indifference. It is absolutely urgent that the true church come alive again in enlisting, equipping, and motivating every individual member to share Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit.

One other note must be added: It is not the Christian’s job to persuade the unbeliever to accept the gospel. It is his job simply to share the gospel. Remember: We have been called to be witnesses, not prosecuting attorneys. The results of our sharing are up to God.

Every Christian is to be a witness for Christ. It is the wise thing to do, for “He who wins souls is wise” (Prov 11:30). It is the right thing to do, for the Lord commands it. It is the need of the hour, as eighty-three souls per second, six thousand souls per hour, go to a Christless, hopeless grave. This article closes with an urgent plea to all who march under the blood-stained banner of Prince Immanuel, to realize and recapture the urgency of evangelism.

(The Believer’s Study Bible)

http://www.crossway.org

http://www.atstracts.org

FundamentalCharlie
Community Member
Member # 7290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FundamentalCharlie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, We have all heard it a thousand times, right? Believe in Jesus and we are saved, The Gospel. But is that it? Is there more that is needed? What is it that we must believe? I know that to the believer, the Gospel is a matter of internalized understanding; something that we know, that we know. But how do you put it into words to convey it to the non-believer: or do you?

I know a woman who claims that she believes in Jesus, he was a great moral teacher. We know that this is an impossibility, but to her ; she believes in Jesus.

Obviously this is not a saving faith; so the question is, how do you state the Gospel in such a way so that the the essentials are covered?

The realization of the fallen estate of man and the subsequent implication of our sinfulness, The perfection of - and substitutionary nature sacrifice of Christ, The absolute completeness of the atonement on our behalf and that we can add nothing to it by our works, That Jesus is God incarnate, The reality of Heaven and Hell... how much is enough, and how much is too little?

Posts: 12 | From: NW Missouri | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement