Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Sudden Death, Sudden Glory

Author Topic: Sudden Death, Sudden Glory
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Apilgrim2
If we fabricate a significance for Scripture which supports what we prefer to believe, are we faithful to His Word, or to our own "understanding"?

Ephesians 2:5-7
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

Col 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

Col 3:1-2
If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Our spirits are saved.

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

But I trust that ye shall know that we are not reprobates.

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apilgrim2   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
Mat 13:11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mat 13:12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
Mat 13:13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
Mat 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
Mat 13:15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and [their] ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with [their] eyes, and hear with [their] ears, and should understand with [their] heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

--------------------
"Relativity applies to physics, NOT ethics." - A. Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: Sacramento California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's when we recieve our Glorified bodies..

Yet, in Eternity, is is done already.

Eternal Life is what we've recieved in Christ Jesus. [Smile]

--------------------
Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Posts: 749 | From: Toronto, Canada-EH! | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apilgrim2   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by docrum:
A lot of these explanations are only required if we believe that once we are dead, the rules of time that apply to God's creation still apply
there's no reason that they would

So, then, please tell me if you can: WHO are these of whom Paul speaks in the following verses:

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

or these verses:

Jhn 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
Jhn 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jhn 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

Jhn 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

If the words "at the last day" have no meaning, then what is the purpose of their inclusion in Scripture?

If we fabricate a significance for Scripture which supports what we prefer to believe, are we faithful to His Word, or to our own "understanding"?

Blessings in The Beloved,

-apilgrim2

--------------------

Posts: 49 | From: Sacramento California | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Originally posted by docrum:
A lot of these explanations are only required if we believe that once we are dead, the rules of time that apply to God's creation still apply
there's no reason that they would.

quote:
Originally posted by Zeena:
It will be an INSTANTANIOUS translation between creation and Eternity, just as it was instantanious the moment you [we] believed on Him!

--------------------

docrum
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docrum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's no reason that they would

--------------------
Jesus is Lord

Posts: 4 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Originally posted by WildB:
quote:
Originally posted by Kindgo:
Zeena, dear little sister what happened to your last post? The woot woot one?

You makea me crazy... [updown]

Hum?
I sing praise to You, my Lord, for all You have made.

Thank you Jesus for WildB! [clap2]

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Hum?

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

There's so many errors in that I don't know where to begin Kindgo! [roll on floor]

So I won't! hehe

quote:
Apilgrim2:
The LORD Jesus Christ does not merely fit into my picture: HE IS the PICTURE ITSELF. The Lord is the center and circumference of my life.

I originally posted that at the end of my post, until I editied it..

I'm glad you did! Praise God! [clap2]

So then, Jesus is with you wherever you may go?
'Cuz this is really all that matters while at home in the body. [Wink]

Arguing semantics day in and day out leaves little room for edification.

But knowing you are with Him wherever He is, now THAT's somthing!! [Wink]

quote:
I give thanks and praise to God each day that, regardless of whatever differences we may perceive in our understanding of the meaning of His Word, each of us has That Word before him/her, and we can acknowledge that He IS Lord.

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Let all who name the Name that is above every name say Amen and AMEN . . .

Amen! [Big Grin]

--------------------

WildB
Member # 2917

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WildB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember what David said.
[23] But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

the full read 2Sam.12http://quod.lib.umich.edu/cgi/k/kjv/kjv-idx?type=DIV2&byte=1319897

--------------------
That is all.....

Posts: 8775 | From: USA, MICHIGAN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No "Soul Sleep"

One of the false doctrines several cults espouse is "soul sleep." This teaching says that when a person dies, the person's soul doesn't immediately go to heaven or hell, but "sleeps" in the grave awaiting the resurrection. The Jehovah's Witnesses, The Way, and the Seventh-Day Adventists are among those who hold to this doctrine.

There is not a single verse in the Bible that uses the term "soul sleep." However, several verses in the Bible compare death for the Christian to sleep. In Acts 7:59-60 when Stephen was stoned to death, it says he "fell asleep." But in the preceding verse when he was dying he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit!" How could he "fall asleep" and be in the grave if Jesus had received his spirit?

The answer can be found in understanding the three parts of man. Second Corinthians 4:16 tells us there is an inner man and an outer man. The outer man is the body, while the inner man is composed of soul and spirit (1 Thess. 5:23, Heb. 4:12). Death occurs when the inner man is separated from the outer man (James 2:26). At death the inner man (soul and spirit) goes immediately to heaven or hell while the body "sleeps" until the resurrection.

It isn't the soul that sleeps at death, but the body that goes to sleep. Listed below are some verses that disprove "soul sleep."

Phil. 1:21-24--"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain…But I am hardpressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake."

Paul says when he dies it is gain, that he departs, and that he is with Christ which is very much better. If Paul believed in "soul sleep," then he should have wished that he could live for over a hundred years on earth so he could keep ministering. But the benefit of dying is to be immediately with Christ, which is "very much better" than remaining on earth. He couldn't have said this if he believed in "soul sleep." Paul also used the word "departure" (the departing of his spirit to heaven) in 2 Tim. 4:6, referring to his death.
2 Cor. 5:6,8-9--"…while at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. We are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. Therefore also we have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.

"Paul is again speaking of his inner man leaving his body at death to be with the Lord. He also said he preferred to be absent from his body so he could be with Jesus. Notice he said we could only be "at home or absent," not in an in-between state like soul sleep.
Matt. 22:31-32--"But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read that which was spoken to you by God, saying 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.

"Jesus revealed that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were not dead, but living. Their bodies had died, but their souls and spirits were alive awaiting the resurrection of their bodies.
Luke 23:43--When Jesus was dying on the cross He said to the thief, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in paradise.

"The Jehovah's Witnesses cult moves to comma to make it read, "Truly I say to you today, you shall be with me in Paradise." They change the Bible to fit their "soul sleep" theology.The phrase "Truly (Verily) I say unto you" is recorded over 70 times in the gospels, but not once "Truly I say unto you today." The thief knew that Jesus was talking to him that day, what he needed to know was when he would be with Him in paradise. Which makes more sense? "Johnny, I am telling you the truth today, I am taking you to the zoo" or "Johnny, I am telling you the truth, today I am taking you to the zoo." Johnny needs to know what day he is going to the zoo, not what day you are talking to him. The meaning is without question: Jesus said he would be with Him in paradise that day.
Matt. 17:3-4--Moses and Elijah talked with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Moses had been dead for a long time (Dt. 34:5) and Elijah was caught up alive to heaven. Moses wasn't soul-sleeping.
Luke 16:19-31--The rich man and Lazarus. When the poor man Lazarus died he was "carried away by the angels" to Abraham's bosom (paradise). When the rich man died he went to Hades (hell) and was in torment. He was able to carry on a conversation with Abraham, who was on the other side of the chasm (v.26).

Abraham, who lived before Moses and the Prophets, told the rich man that his five brothers had "Moses and the Prophets" so the rich man and Lazarus lived after these books had been written. This clearly proves consciousness beyond the grave of people who lived during different times on earth. Those who believe in soul-sleep try to dismiss this verse saying it is "just a parable." Even if it were a "just a parable" (which it isn't), Jesus always taught parables to illustrate truth. These verses are clear: No soul-sleep.
James 2:26--"…the body without the spirit is dead…"
Heb. 9:27--"It is appointed for men to die once, and after this comes judgment."It doesn't say that soul-sleep is in between.
Acts 5:54-60--As Stephen was dying, he prayed for Jesus to receive his spirit. Jesus was in heaven (vv.55-56).
1 Thess. 4:13-18--"…even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus…and the dead in Christ will rise first…"When Jesus returns at the Rapture, He will bring with Him the spirits of those Christians who have already died and their bodies will be resurrected.
2 Peter 2:4-9--"…then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from temptation, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment for the day of judgment."The unrighteous are being punished in hell right now.
Jude 4-13--Just as some of the fallen angels are now under eternal punishment, so the wicked are suffering the same punishment (v.7).
Heb. 12:22-23--These verses tell us who is inhabiting heaven right now. Included are "the general assembly and the church of the firstborn" (New Testament saints) and "the spirits of righteous men made perfect" (Old Testament saints).
Acts 7:59 As Stephen was dying, he prayed to Jesus and asked Him to receive his spirit.
2 Cor. 5:19 God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself

Phil. 2:5-7 "Christ Jesus, who although He existed in the form (Greek: "morphe" meaning "nature") of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bondservant, being made in the likeness of men." This means that Jesus was in the nature of God, but laid aside His glory in heaven in order to become a man on earth.

Rev. 6:9-11--This occurs in heaven: The souls of those who have been slain ask God to judge those on earth who have killed them. Verse 11 informs them that there are more on earth that will die.
Rev. 20:4--John sees the souls of those who had died and they received their resurrection bodies and reigned with Christ.
Matt. 10:28--"And do not fear those who kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both the soul and body in hell.

"There is a difference between killing the body and killing the soul. The first is physical death; the second is spiritual death or the second death (Rev. 20:6, 12-15).
John 11:25-26--"I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die.

"For the believer, we continue to live even though the body may die because our spirits will never die.
Luke 8:49-55--The girl had died and Jesus said, "She has not died, but is asleep." Her body fell asleep at death. When He brought her back to life, "her spirit returned" and she rose up (v.55).
Gen. 35:18--Rachel died and her soul departed.
Eccl. 9:5--"…but the dead do not know anything…"

A dead body doesn't know anything. Solomon is speaking from earth's perspective, for life "under the sun" (9:3, 6, 9, 11, 13). Later in the book he explains what happens at death, "the dust will return to the earth as it was (body), and the spirit will return to God who gave it" (Eccl. 12:7)..
Psalm 146:3-4--In speaking of death: his spirit departs, he (body) returns to the earth. (Eccl. 12:7)..

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

quote:
Originally posted by Zeena:

What is your hope concerning all this?
Where does Jesus fit into your picture?

The LORD Jesus Christ does not merely fit into my picture: HE IS the PICTURE ITSELF. The Lord is the center and circumference of my life.

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
Eph 1:19 And what [is] the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
Eph 1:20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set [him] at his own right hand in the heavenly [places],
Eph 1:21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
Eph 1:22 And hath put all [things] under his feet, and gave him [to be] the head over all [things] to the church,
Eph 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

I give thanks and praise to God each day that, regardless of whatever differences we may perceive in our understanding of the meaning of His Word, each of us has That Word before him/her, and we can acknowledge that He IS Lord.

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Let all who name the Name that is above every name say Amen and AMEN . . .

-apilgrim2

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Originally posted by apilgrim2:
My strength lies not in my ability to win a debate within a few message board postings, although I can usually provide plenty of Scripture to support what I believe.

quote:
Apilgrim2:
But I wonder; do many verses taken out of context actually support your line of reasoning?
quote:
Zeena:
It's not to support my response, rather, my response is based upon the Word in Scripture.

This is part of the reason I thought about leaving the board some time ago, in favor of a Bible study atmosphere.
Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Don't run from your cross, cling to it. You are not alone! God allows every single one of us to be broken and shattered, for only then can He pick up the pieces. [Wink]
Squeeze every ounce of goodness out of it if it so be that you should suffer with Him, thus you shall also reign!!! [angel3]

quote:
I can most certainly defend the faith that is in me, but I am not well equipped to debate with other believers.
I wasn't asking for a debate.. Not all all!
But for you to express how you came to your conclusions. [Wink]

quote:
I love to share my faith with others but I try to avoid starting a debate. I have, however, found myself having done just that from time to time.
What is your hope concerning all this?
Where does Jesus fit into your picture?

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Regardless, surely the words of Martin Luther ring true?

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

OOPS!!

I meant Miles Coverdale, not Martin Luther!!

"It shall greatly helpe ye to understande Scripture
if thou mark not only what is spoken, or wrytten,
but of whom, and to whom,
with what words, and at what time, where,
to what intent, with what circumstance,
considering what goeth before, and what followeth."

My strength lies not in my ability to win a debate within a few message board postings, although I can usually provide plenty of Scripture to support what I believe. This is part of the reason I thought about leaving the board some time ago, in favor of a Bible study atmosphere.

I can most certainly defend the faith that is in me, but I am not well equipped to debate with other believers. I love to share my faith with others but I try to avoid starting a debate. I have, however, found myself having done just that from time to time.

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Beloved Zeena I do love your enthusiasm!!

Praise Jesus! [clap2]

quote:
You are lightning fast with many, many verses of Scripture to support your response.
It's not to support my response, rather, my response is based upon the Word in Scripture.

I was ignorant of the Scripture not eight years ago, I knew NOTHING. It takes time to build a thesis, yet revelation is instantanious.

I did not formulate a thesis, it was given me. [Wink]

quote:
But I wonder; do many verses taken out of context actually support your line of reasoning?
I [as you] can be deceived, however..

I am willing to admit as much and be turned towards the Truth, if I have been deceived.. If you will prove to me that I have.. [Bible] Will you say the same?

It's been revealed that upon the decent of the Lord Jesus, things CHANGED.

Death was overcome, for it was not possible for Him to be holden of it.

Your website lacks His presence in Sheol.

For He indeed ravaged it! [youpi]
He broke the gates thereof! [youpi]

Come now, my beloved brother, we have much rejoicing to do! [clap2]

quote:
Or is it by sheer volume that you overwhelm the debate?
Should not the Word of God be sure?
Does He not repeat things frequently that He deems important for us to know?

quote:
Martin Luther wrote a wonderful statement about context. I'll bet you can find it faster than I can!
I'm sure you already have a link standing by.

Do share! [Big Grin]

quote:
Martin Luther wrote:
Upon the cross Christ put death to death

http://peterkrey.wordpress.com/martin-luther-1483-1546/
quote:
Martin Luther:
I believe in him by whom sin, death, and all things that afflict us, were led captive. It is a pleasing discourse, and full of comfort, when we are told that death is taken away and slain, so that it is no longer felt. However, it affords pleasure and comfort only to those who believe it.

http://homepage.mac.com/shanerosenthal/reformationink/mlmk16c.htm
quote:
May the LORD bless your enthusiastic heart . . .

-apilgrim2

He already has, He made it new, just as yours! [Big Grin]

And so, will He continue to reveal to us exactly what He accomplished..

So that we can have HOPE!

http://www.tpwmi.com/captivity.html

quote:
JESUS CHRIST TRIUMPHANT by William Pascoe Goard:
By "leading captivity captive," our Redeemer gave us great hope for Kingdom life to follow this one.

quote:
Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians (1535)
by Martin Luther
Translated by Theodore Graebner

By faith in Christ a person may gain such sure and sound comfort, that he
need not fear the devil, sin, death, or any evil. "Sir Devil," he may say, "I
am not afraid of you. I have a Friend whose name is Jesus Christ, in
whom I believe. He has abolished the Law, condemned sin, vanquished
death, and destroyed hell for me. He is bigger than you, Satan. He has
licked you, and holds you down. You cannot hurt me." This is the faith
that overcomes the devil.

Paul manhandles the Law. He treats the Law as if it were a thief and a
robber He treats the Law as contemptible to the conscience, in order that
those who believe in Christ may take courage to defy the Law, and say:
"Mr. Law, I am a sinner. What are you going to do about it?"

Or take death. Christ is risen from death. Why should we now fear the
grave? Against my death I set another death, or rather life, my life in
Christ.

Oh, the sweet names of Jesus! He is called my law against the Law, my sin
against sin, my death against death. Translated, it means that He is my
righteousness, my life, my everlasting salvation. For this reason was He
made the law of the Law, the sin of sin, the death of death, that He might
redeem me from the curse of the Law. He permitted the Law to accuse
Him, sin to condemn Him, and death to take Him, to abolish the Law, to
condemn sin, and to destroy death for me.

This peculiar form of speech sounds much sweeter than if Paul had said:
"I through liberty am dead to the law." By putting it in this way, "I
through the law am dead to the law," he opposes one law with another
law, and has them fight it out.

In this masterly fashion Paul draws our attention away from the Law, sin,
death, and every evil, and centers it upon Christ.

Source --> http://www.theologywebsite.com/etext/luther_galatians2.shtml

--------------------

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admittedly, the Old Testament understanding of resurrection was shadowy; many passages look to a bleak existence after death (Psalms 6:5, 30:9, 39:13, 88:10-12, 115:17; Isaiah 38:18, Ecclesiastes 9:4-5, 10); yet there are other passages of hope and confidence after this life (Job 19:25-27; Psalm 16:9-11; 73:24).

Remember though, that it was Jesus, not the Old Testament, which brought life and immortality to light through the gospel (2 Timothy 1:10).

Our bodies are what is raised up in the last day, not our souls. Are souls go to Heaven with God, or to hell, depending what choice we make. We will have a resurrected body just like Jesus when He raises us up. Til then we are disembodied and will return with Christ when He comes.

For the Thessalonian Christians, their troubled minds were answered by the statement, God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.

“It is best to understand the words to mean that Jesus will bring the faithful departed with Him when He comes back.

Their death does not mean that they will miss their share in the Rapture.

1Th 4:13 ¶ But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive [and] remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Beloved Zeena I do love your enthusiasm!!

You are lightning fast with many, many verses of Scripture to support your response. But I wonder; do many verses taken out of context actually support your line of reasoning? Or is it by sheer volume that you overwhelm the debate?

Martin Luther wrote a wonderful statement about context. I'll bet you can find it faster than I can!

May the LORD bless your enthusiastic heart . . .

-apilgrim2

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

http://bibleunderstanding.com/death.htm

quote:
According to Gen. 2:7 the Lord God formed man of the dust of the earth, or ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath (Heb. neshamah) of life and man became a living soul (Heb.-nephesh). So man is a soul, and without life (given by God) man is-or becomes-a dead soul. It is the spirit, or life, that God gives and takes away. There are no souls (as separate parts of the person) in Heaven.
Revelation 6:9-11
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, "O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been.

While it is true that when spirit is separated from the body, soul ceases to exist, it is also true that our God is The God of BOTH the Living and the dead [Wink]

1 Peter 3:18-22 AMP
For Christ [the Messiah Himself] died for sins once for all, the Righteous for the unrighteous (the Just for the unjust, the Innocent for the guilty), that He might bring us to God. In His human body He was put to death, but He was made alive in the spirit, In which He went and preached to the spirits in prison, [The souls of those] who long before in the days of Noah had been disobedient, when God's patience waited during the building of the ark in which a few [people], actually eight in number, were saved through water.

And baptism, which is a figure [of their deliverance], does now also save you [from inward questionings and fears], not by the removing of outward body filth [bathing], but by [providing you with] the answer of a good and clear conscience (inward cleanness and peace) before God [because you are demonstrating what you believe to be yours] through the resurrection of Jesus Christ. [And He] has now entered into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with [all] angels and authorities and powers made subservient to Him.

There is no cessation of the soul in Heaven, nor Hell.

-----------

Revelation 4:8
And the four living creatures, each of them with six wings, are full of eyes all around and within, and day and night they never cease to say,
"Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!"

-----------

Mark 9:44, 46, 48
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

------------

When our Lord was in the grave, He preached to those who were in prison, namely, the Patriarch's. Upon believing on Him, He raised them [too] up to sit in Heavenly Places in Christ Jesus, even so as we are now! [Smile]

Psalm 139:8
If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!

Psalm 16:10
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.

Colossians 2:15
And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Jude 1:9
But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, was disputing about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a blasphemous judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you."

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

Ecc 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but THE DEAD KNOW NOT ANY THING, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Psa 115:17 THE DEAD PRAISE NOT THE LORD, neither any that go down into silence.

Jhn 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again AT THE LAST DAY.

Jhn 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I WILL RAISE HIM UP AT THE LAST DAY.

Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I WILL RAISE HIM UP AT THE LAST DAY.

Jhn 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I WILL RAISE HIM UP AT THE LAST DAY.

Jhn 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection AT THE LAST DAY.

http://bibleunderstanding.com/death2.htm

What a revealing series of posts, don't you agree? There seem to be as many views of death and what follows as there are people!

Scripture is clear. If I read a dozen verses that say the same thing, and then I read one verse that seems to contradict what the dozen verses say, I should probably take a very close look at my interpretation of that one verse.

Thanks to all who have participated in this post thus far!

God bless and keep every one who looks to Him for guidance and direction in the discernment of His Word.

-apilgrim2

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Zeena   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carol Swenson:
Others posit unconsciousness (soul sleep) between death and resurrection, but Scripture speaks of conscious relationship, involvements, and enjoyments (Luke 16:22; 23:43; Phil. 1:23; 2 Cor. 5:8; Rev. 6:9-11; 14:13).

And "torments" for unbelievers. [Eek!] [Prayer] [Cross]

Zechariah 14:13
And on that day a great panic from the LORD shall fall on them, so that each will seize the hand of another, and the hand of the one will be raised against the hand of the other.

Jeremiah 7:32
Therefore, behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when it will no more be called Topheth, or the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, but the Valley of Slaughter; for they will bury in Topheth, because there is no room elsewhere.

-------------

Isaiah 30:33
For a burning place has long been prepared; indeed, for the king it is made ready, its pyre made deep and wide, with fire and wood in abundance; the breath of the LORD, like a stream of sulfur, kindles it.

Isaiah 9:5
For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire.

Isaiah 9:19
Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts the land is scorched, and the people are like fuel for the fire; no one spares another.

-----------

Isaiah 66:24
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

--------------------

Carol Swenson
Admin
Member # 6929

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Carol Swenson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At death the souls of believers (i.e., the believers themselves, as ongoing persons) are made perfect in holiness and enter into the worshiping life of heaven (Heb. 12:22-24) . In other words, they are glorified.

Some, not believing this, posit a purgatorial discipline after death that is really a further stage of sanctification, progressively purifying the heart and refining the character in preparation for the vision of God. But this belief is neither scriptural nor rational, for if at Christ’s coming saints alive on earth will be perfected morally and spiritually in the moment of their bodily transformation (1 Cor. 15:51-54), it is only natural to suppose that the same is done for each believer in the moment of death, when the mortal body is left behind.

Others posit unconsciousness (soul sleep) between death and resurrection, but Scripture speaks of conscious relationship, involvements, and enjoyments (Luke 16:22; 23:43; Phil. 1:23; 2 Cor. 5:8; Rev. 6:9-11; 14:13).

Posts: 6787 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Scripture, however, teaches resurrection as the hope of future life.

Am I misunderstanding Scripture, or is there is something wrong somewhere?

-apilgrim2

That 'Life' has been given you in the Person of Jesus in your spirit, in and through your soul as you abide in Him, and in your body in the hereafter.

Romans 8:10-11
But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

We HOPE for that which is yet unseen.
And we WAIT for it patiently! [Wink]

1 Kings 18:41-42
And Elijah said to Ahab, "Go up, eat and drink, for there is a sound of the rushing of rain." So Ahab went up to eat and to drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Mount Carmel. And he bowed himself down on the earth and put his face between his knees.

We are pregnant with Christ!
As He is pregnant with us! [Big Grin]

1 Corinthians 15:37-38
What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body.

Be Loved precious Saint!

1 Corinthians 15:53-55
For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:

"Death is swallowed up in victory."
"O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?"

--------------------

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:

I deleted it! [updown]

I found that just the "Agreed" was sufficient and said it much better than the 'woots' [wave3]

I also edited my [original] reply as to NOT imply soul sleep [Wink]

Oh, yea..

I might be a 'little sister', but my God created the universe! [Razz] [roll on floor]
[no offense, just making a funny! [dance] [wave3] ]

--------------------

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
Lazarus and the rich man is absolute proof that we are conscience and active after death.

Agreed.

--------------------

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Lazarus and the rich man is absolute proof that we are conscience and active after death.

Luke 16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Absent from the body,present with the Lord!

When you take your last breath here, your next one will be in Heaven!

2Cr 5:8 We are confident, [I say], and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

2Cr 5:6 Therefore [we are] always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

Men are triune according to the bible (Thess 5:23).

Soul sleep implies that when we die, we sleep in the grave, as we await resurrection. It is a very carnal view of the following scriptures;

1Co 11:30 For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

Here is an interesting verse though;
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

And this one too;
1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

So were really talking about something that is an interpretation. One that fails to take into account scriptures like this;
Phi 1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Zeena
Advanced Member
Member # 7223

quote:
In conversations among Christian people, in church newsletters, in magazine and newspaper articles, we often learn that believers intend to go to directly to heaven when they die, directly into the bliss of the presence of the Lord. We even read stories of those who came back from the bliss of heaven.

For example, I recall reading in a church bulletin some time ago: "This past Saturday, Mary Jones' grandmother Eunice passed into the presence of the Lord and His angels, and she is now enjoying the fruit of her lifelong hope."

-apilgrim2

Jesus Himself spent three days in the grave..

Shall not the Lord also give us all things pertaining to Him?

Sheol [the grave, or the pit], contains the three places of Paradise, Hades with Tartarus [the Abyss] separating them as a river.

Paradise and Hades are holding tanks for the dead until the ressurection. Paradise holds the souls of those who have believed on Jesus through thier word, and Hades contains the souls of the unbelievers. Paradise, Hades & Tartarus are all situated within this creation, that is, in time. Tartarus [if I'm spelling that correctly] is the darkness reserved for fallen angels kept in chains until He releases them.

Heaven and Hell are outside of time, and not a part of 'this' creation. They are the Eternal abode of those who have either accepted or rejected the Lord Jesus.

For those who have recieved the Eternal Life of God in Christ Jesus [whosoever has believed on Him] this waiting period in Paradise will be instantanious. We will be there, but we will also be in Heaven with Jesus on His Throne, PRAISE GOD!

It will be an INSTANTANIOUS translation between creation and Eternity, just as it was instantanious the moment you [we] believed on Him! [Smile]

For those who have not recieved the Eternal Life which is only in Christ Jesus, this will be a loong wait in Hades indeed! [Eek!]

Ecclesiastes 12:7
and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

--------------------

apilgrim2
Advanced Member
Member # 7182

In conversations among Christian people, in church newsletters, in magazine and newspaper articles, we often learn that believers intend to go to directly to heaven when they die, directly into the bliss of the presence of the Lord. We even read stories of those who came back from the bliss of heaven.

For example, I recall reading in a church bulletin some time ago: "This past Saturday, Mary Jones' grandmother Eunice passed into the presence of the Lord and His angels, and she is now enjoying the fruit of her lifelong hope."

-apilgrim2

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement