Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Why did Jesus walk?

Author Topic: Why did Jesus walk?
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Hovel. I think that the Bible does not mention everything in that detail. In those days, people usually walked, yes, but had either a donkey or several donkeys or camels in tow with their supplies, both food and weapons, and especially their waterskins.

Eventhough the Bible says that they walked, when one looks at video of modern nomads they are also walking, but with a train of camels or donkeys in tow with them. In such a dry climate, waterskins and foodstuff were a vital necessity, and weapons against wild animals.

The Bible, being a Middle Eastern book, just does not bother to tell us "Modern Westerners" that.

Be blessed,
Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....and btw- the term "rapture" was also a reference to fleeing or escape by sailing vesel.

I think quite possibly the Gospel authors really did'nt consider his method of transport to be a matter of great importance, so there's likely some ommissions in that area. (imho) [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hovel:
I was reminded of that VERY old joke told
endlessly at churches about a teenaged boy who wanted to wear his hair long.
Bringing up the prospect to his parents,
they told him flatly, no.
Anticipating this common response,
he replies back, "But Jesus had long hair."
Without missing a beat, one of the parents
responded back, "Yes son. But he also walked wherever he went."

This had me thinking. Why DID Jesus walk wherever He went? Why choose to walk instead of going
on horseback? Was there any social, cultural or spiritual reason for this?

[Of course, I am speaking of the time during His
ministry from Cana to Calgary, and this is aside
from his ride into Jerusalem on the donkey.]

Your thoughts?

Love the joke.

Walking was the common mode of transportation in the culture. For most of his ministry, Jesus based himself on the Sea of Galilee and used it as a means of transportation. This shows that Jesus took advantage of the fastest mode of transportation in the ancient world, the sailboat. Neither walking nor riding on donkeys or camels could match the speed or the comfort of moving about on the water. By sailing, Jesus could cover the most “ground” in the least amount of time.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hovel
Member # 5419

Icon 5 posted      Profile for hovel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was reminded of that VERY old joke told
endlessly at churches about a teenaged boy who wanted to wear his hair long.
Bringing up the prospect to his parents,
they told him flatly, no.
Anticipating this common response,
he replies back, "But Jesus had long hair."
Without missing a beat, one of the parents
responded back, "Yes son. But he also walked wherever he went."

This had me thinking. Why DID Jesus walk wherever He went? Why choose to walk instead of going
on horseback? Was there any social, cultural or spiritual reason for this?

[Of course, I am speaking of the time during His
ministry from Cana to Calgary, and this is aside
from his ride into Jerusalem on the donkey.]

Your thoughts?

Posts: 6 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement