Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Cleopas

Author Topic: Cleopas
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God bless you;

You may be confusing Cleophas with Cephas:

Luke 24:
13: And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
14: And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
15: And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
16: But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
17: And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
18: And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass therein these days?
19: And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
20: And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
21: But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
22: Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
23: And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
24: And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
25: Then he said unto them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:
26: Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?
27: And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
28: And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
29: But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
30: And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
31: And their eyes were opened, and they knew him; and he vanished out of their sight.

Joh 1:42 - Show Context
And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.

1Co 1:12 - Show Context
Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

1Co 3:22 - Show Context
Whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours;

1Co 9:5 - Show Context
Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

1Co 15:5 - Show Context
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

Ga 2:9 - Show Context
And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cleopas( abbreviation of Cleopatros), one of the two disciples with whom Jesus conversed on the way to Emmaus on the day of the resurrection
( Luk 24:18).

We know nothing definitely regarding him. It is not certain that he was the Clopas of Jhn 19:25, or the Alphaeus of Mat 10:3, although he may have been so.

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have question about this part (my computer is acting up, so I'll need your help to copy the verses Luke 24:13-36 for me):

But in Luke 24:18, Cleopas is walking with another disciple on the road to Emmaus on the same day that Jesus had resurrected.

I had always heard, and have also thought myself too, that "CLEOPAS was PETER".

After Judas had betrayed Jesus in Gethsemane, the New Testament addresses the formerly 12 disciples as "the eleven".

After Jesus had revealed Himself to Cleopas and to the other disciple with Cleopas on the road to Emmaus, Cleopas and his friend returned quickly to Jerusalem and then it says in Luke 24:33:

33 And they rose up the same hour and returned to Jerusalem and found the eleven gathered together, and them who were with them.

So here is my question, how can CLEOPAS be PETER, if CLEOPAS and his disciple friend came TO THE ELEVEN?

Note also that v.33 is followed by Luke 24:34, which says:

34 Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and has appeared to SIMON.

And that is probably were the PETER IDEA came from, but it is certain that there must have been MANY people named SIMON in Judah, like our John and Bill.

Therefore, based on the fact that CLEOPAS came TO THE ELEVEN, I think that proves conclusively that CLEOPAS CANNOT have been PETER.

Be blessed.

Eden

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement