Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » What is fun?

Author Topic: What is fun?
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Hal taught the girls to ski. Growing up in Europe there were lots of places to ski. Desi was learning to ski at 3. They like downhill. His family skis and his mom prefers cross country. That seems like work to me! I would so love to try downhill, but I cant find boots that fit my calves. Such are the woes of BBW. It was so funny to me to watch the girls learning... it was hard for the oldest. She was 11 when we moved up here and she had fear... then the two little ones had no fear and they learned so quickly! Mariah was grounded for going to fast. When they go skiing, I take my reading and enjoy the fire in the lodge. I used to water ski, being a Florida girl. When we lived in Florida we spent almost every week end at the beach in the summer, either swiming, and picknicking or boating. We used to go crabbing there. I never was much of a fisherman though. I have been deep sea fishing and that is exciting. We went to the Dry Tortugas.. awesome. I also love snorkling. We used to camp at the John Penecamp state park in the Keys and you can snorkle the coral reefs. Beautiful!!

Ah. If Jen had her way we'd visit Florida more often. She has family there and one of her fondest memories is snorkeling the reefs when she was a young girl.

Winters in Ohio are hard for Jenny. She'd trade all the snow for sand any day and "twice on Sunday" (I have no idea what that means but it seemed like an appropriate emphatic phrase [Razz] ). Now that we homeschool the work tends to keep her focused off of the weather. I think that helps. Plus, we attend the YMCA as a family during the winter. Great fun and a great way to keep moving when everything else is slowing down.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hal taught the girls to ski. Growing up in Europe there were lots of places to ski. Desi was learning to ski at 3. They like downhill. His family skis and his mom prefers cross country. That seems like work to me! I would so love to try downhill, but I cant find boots that fit my calves. Such are the woes of BBW. It was so funny to me to watch the girls learning... it was hard for the oldest. She was 11 when we moved up here and she had fear... then the two little ones had no fear and they learned so quickly! Mariah was grounded for going to fast. When they go skiing, I take my reading and enjoy the fire in the lodge. I used to water ski, being a Florida girl. When we lived in Florida we spent almost every week end at the beach in the summer, either swiming, and picknicking or boating. We used to go crabbing there. I never was much of a fisherman though. I have been deep sea fishing and that is exciting. We went to the Dry Tortugas.. awesome. I also love snorkling. We used to camp at the John Penecamp state park in the Keys and you can snorkle the coral reefs. Beautiful!!
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many skiers? Who would have thought...
My wife prefers cross-country. Sarah and I like downhill. She's quite good for her age (8).

Fishing is wonderful. Always fun with a bit of a science lesson mixed in. Poor fishees get a bit dried out by the time I've gone over their parts and nuances. They get put back in time, though, to get bigger so we can catch them again.

Camping is a must. Or even a simple camp fire. We live in the woods so our fuel supply is plentiful. Every now and then we prepare food over the fire...usually in the Fall.

Swimming. Grandma and grandpa have a pool. Admission is free. [Big Grin]

Sometimes we do movie night as a family. Recently we watched "Akeela and the Bee". Cute story and it made my oldest more interested in spelling words correctly...big words, mind you.

Story time is great. It's not unusual for the whole family to sit as I read a book. I put a different voice to each character. The kids (and even my wife) like that).

For sports: golfing. Sarah is pretty good and although Jenny can beat me sometimes I think she enjoys the walks outside more than hitting the ball. Sarah and I attend high school football games. We also watch Ohio State Football on television. You're always allowed to ask questions during the games. [Big Grin]

There's also drawing (or play dough), walking the dog, and baking. "Romp time" is a kid favorite wherein I play a sleeping giant who erupts in a flurry of tickling if he should be awakened. [Smile]

Good fun.

Aaron

Eden
unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. I think the thing most to be avoided are things with WORDS.

Yes, Satan has his WORD too. That's why most any activity which does not have Satan talking his WORDS to us through his minions and unwitting and duped accomplices (anybody unsaved), any activity NOT containing Satan's WORDS should be okay (within the parameters of the 10 commandments).

We should NOT read Satan's books and we should NOT see Satan's movies, not be be Puritanical, but because Satan's WORDS have effects and consequences, just like God's WORDS have effects and consequences.

That's why when it comes to books (full of words) and to films (full of words, augmented by images), and to music (full of words), that's the primary avenue by which Satan puts stuff into our soul and keeps us connected to him, eventhough he knows that we are saved. But if he can only keep us fairly unproductive in God, Satan at least tries to do that.

Be blessed, everybody.

Eden

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the coulotte ones!! I would say all those things are fun as well Dale. I also love roller coasters. Camping, bowling, drives through the wilderness. The girls and I used to go hunting wildflowers every spring. Every one in my family but me ski's; I love snowmobiling! I love it when our family gets together and my husband plays the guitar or piano and the girls join in and sing.

I have a hard time with movies; my family still watches movies that I do not approve of and it is hard to get me to sit through a movie. Most of them I find offensive and the ones I dont, I just feel like they are a waste of my time.

I love to study the Bible. I love to do computer graphics. I love posting on the board. I love to sew though my eyes are getting too poor. I love crafts and ceramics. I like to go dirt bike riding. I love taking pictures of wildlife and we have lots of that here. We also like horseback riding. I love having people over for a cookout or a Bible study. I like board games. We play scrabble a lot.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:

Philippians 4: 8...

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

That is what I have been dwelling on ever since I said goodbye to the rap game. That has really helped me alot.
Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itty-Bitty Girl
Advanced Member
Member # 4579

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Itty-Bitty Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
As I have said before we believe in modesty. The girls used to make their own swimwear till we found some online places to buy them.

http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

That's nice, I liked the swimwear, I showed it to my sister and she couldn't believe that it was actually swimwear. She was in denial. I myself have never seen anything like it. I guess that's how swimwear is supposed to look, it's like I'm traveling to a new world!

I never knew that such swimwear could be made. How modest! I loved it.

Posts: 1051 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definition of fun, activities that is enjoyable or amusing;

I have been asked what fun for our family is, for me in particular.

Doing things with my children and grandchildren are fun.

Playing games, that are not evil as many of the games of today are, word games, match type games
Fishing
Skiing, watching them ski
Going to a zoo, looking at Yahweh’s creation
Going to a park, playing as much as my body will allow on swings and such
Doing art together
Building things together
We even go swimming, but we don’t wear the worlds swim suits, I wear a shirt and long shorts and the girls wear what many would consider very old fashion swimsuits. As I have said before we believe in modesty. The girls used to make their own swimwear till we found some online places to buy them.

http://www.wholesomewear.com/page-4.html

We even watch DVD’s and Video’s that are family orientated.

Philippians 4: 8...

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

The things which you learned, received, heard, and saw in me: do these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

If any of what I believe is false teaching, please show me from the scriptures? I will gladly repent.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement