Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Are you good enough to get into heaven?

Author Topic: Are you good enough to get into heaven?
epouraniois
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never thought of that either CBob, but had thought of how limiting and selfish we are when we ask Jesus Christ to be our saviour, as that is just so, well, short sighted, for He is the Saviour of the whole world.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in is a paradox.

Man is not saved by keeping the Commandment

But neither is man free to do away with the Commandments

The person that has been truly born again, has been given a new heart, been made a new creation with the same divine nature in substance as Yeshua, the seed sown in the soil of the human heart.(parable of the sower) The mind, the will , the emotions all have been changed. The ability to feel for others as Yahweh feels for others. The ability to love Yahweh where there was no ability to love Yahweh as a Father.

WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF TO BE A GOOD PERSON?

Mark 10:18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

If this is Yeshua’s answer, mine can be no different!

Most people would! The bible says that "Most men will declare each his own goodness." So how good are you?

My best goodness without Yeshua is as filthy rags!

Are you good enough to get into heaven? How good do you suppose a person has to be in order to have eternal life?

There is only one way into the Kingdom of Heaven, my goodness is not it!
Without Yeshua’s Blood over the door post of my heart I will still have eternal life, only it will be an eternity in the fires of Hell!

Good question, isn’t it! It's not a new question though. Did you know that 2,000 years ago a rich young ruler asked that same question to Jesus? You see, this well-intentioned young man wanted to know what good deed would put him over the top. He wanted to know how good he had to be in order to have eternal life. He said to Jesus, "Good teacher, What good thing must I do that I might have eternal life."

Jesus knew that this young man was trusting in his "good works" to save him, and so he answered "There is none good but one, and that is God."

You see, you and I may look at ourselves as "good people", but Jesus said it right when he made the statement that there is none good but one.

Not a single soul has ever been saved by their good works. Jesus said, "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

So how must we be saved?

1. Repent
2. Ask Jesus to come into your heart.
3. Allow him to transform you

Good works are just a natural bi-product that results from putting our true saving faith in Jesus

So how must we be saved? This is a question that should be given careful examination by every individual.

1.Repentance is the feeling and act in which one recognizes and tries to right a wrong, or gain forgiveness from someone that they wronged. In religious contexts it usually refers to repenting for a sin against God. It always includes an admission of guilt, and also includes at least one of: a solemn promise or resolve not to repeat the offense; an attempt to make restitution for the wrong, or in some way to reverse the harmful effects of the wrong where possible.

In Biblical Hebrew, the idea of repentance is represented by two verbs: שוב shuv (to return) and נחם nicham (to feel sorrow).

In the New Testament, the word translated as 'repentance' is the Greek word μετάνοια (metanoia), "after/behind one's mind", which is a compound word of the preposition 'meta' (after, with), and the verb 'noeo' (to perceive, to think, the result of perceiving or observing). In this compound word the preposition combines the two meanings of time and change, which may be denoted by 'after' and 'different'; so that the whole compound means: 'to think differently after'. Metanoia is therefore primarily an after-thought, different from the former thought; a change of mind accompanied by regret and change of conduct, "change of mind and heart", or, "change of consciousness". One of the key descriptions of repentance in the New Testament is the parable of the prodigal son found in the Gospel of Luke 15:11.

The Hebrew Bible postulates repentance as the indispensable condition on which the salvation and redemption of the people of Israel, as well as of every individual man, depends. (Genesis 4:7; Leviticus 4, 5; Deuteronomy 4:30, 30:2; I Kings 8:33, 48; Hosea 14:2; Jer. 3:12, 31:18, 36:3; Ezek. 18:30-32; Isa. 54:22, 55:6-10; Joel 2:12; Jonah 2:10).

The full meaning of repentance in the Hebrew Bible is indicated in the Hebrew term teshuvah (lit. "return"). This implies: (1) Transgression and sin are the natural and inevitable consequence of man's straying from God and His laws (comp. Deut. 11:26-28; Isa. 1:4; Jer. 2:13, 16:11; Ezek. 18:30). (2) It is man's destiny, and therefore his duty, to be with God as God is with him. (3) It is within the power of every man to redeem himself from sin by resolutely breaking away from it and turning to God. God's loving-kindness is also extended to the returning sinner. "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon" (Isa. 55:7) (4) Because "there is not a just man upon earth, that does good, and sins not" (Eccl. 7:20; I Kings 8:46), every mortal stands in need of this insistence on his "return" to God.

The Torah (five books of Moses) distinguishes between offenses against God and offenses against man. In the first case the manifestation of repentance consists in: (1) Confession of one's sin before God (Lev. 5:5; Num. 5:7), the essential part being a solemn promise and firm resolve not to commit the same sin again. (2) Making certain prescribed offerings (Lev. 5:1-20). Offenses against man require, in addition to confession and sacrifice, restitution in full of whatever has been wrongfully obtained or withheld from one's fellow man, with one-fifth of its value added thereto (Lev. 5:20-26). If the wronged man has died, restitution must be made to his heir; if he has no heir, it must be given to the priest who officiates at the sacrifice made for the remission of the sin (Num. 5:7-9).

The nature of repentance

There is a three-fold idea involved in true repentance:

As touching the intellect

Matt. 21:29--"He answered and said: I will not; but afterward he repented, and went". The word here used for "repent" means to change one's mind, thought, purpose, views regarding a matter; it is to have another mind about a thing. This change is well illustrated in the action of the Prodigal Son, and of the Publican in the well-known story of the Pharisee and the Publican (Luke 15 and 18).

As touching the emotions

2 Cor. 7:9--"Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance; for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing." See also Luke 10:13; cf. Gen. 6:6. The Greek word for repentance in this connection means "to be a care to one afterwards," to cause one great concern. This meaning is exemplified by the repentant person who not only has profound regret for his past but also the fulfilled hope in the potential of God’s grace to continually bear the fruit of healing and true reconciliation in himself, with others, and most especially with God.

The Hebrew equivalent is strong as well, and it means to pant, to sigh, or to moan. So the publican "beat upon his breast," indicating sorrow of heart. See also Psalms 38:18.

As touching the will and disposition

One of the Hebrew words for repent means "to turn." The Prodigal Son said, "I will arise... and he arose" (Luke 15:18, 20). The part of the will and disposition in repentance is shown:

In the Confession of Sin to God

Psa. 38:18 -- "For I will declare mine iniquity: I will be sorry for my sin." The publican beat upon his breast, and said, "God be merciful to me a sinner" (Luke 18:13). The prodigal said, "I have sinned against heaven" (Luke 15:21).
There must be confession to man also in so far as man has been wronged in and by our sin (Matthew 5:23-24); James 5:16).

In the Forsaking of Sin.

Isa. 55:7 Prov. 28:13 ("He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy."); Matthew 3:8-10 ("Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:... And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.").

In Turning Unto God.

It is not enough to turn away from sin; we must turn unto God. 1 Thess. 1:9; Acts 26:18.

How repentance is produced

Repentance is a divine gift

According to Christians, acts of repentance does not earn God's forgiveness from one's sin; rather, forgiveness is given as a gift from God to those who he saves. Acts 11:18--"Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life." 2 Tim. 2:25 -- "If God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth." Acts 5:30, 31.
In this view, people are called upon to repent in order that we may feel our own inability to do so, and consequently be thrown upon God and petition Him to perform this work of grace in our hearts. Many church fathers have made reference to it as the "gift of repentance" or as the "gift of tears".

God calls all to repent through the hearing of the Gospel. God grants total repentance as each individual responds to repentance through faith in the expiating sacrifice of Jesus for all sin. "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." (Romans 10:17).

Repentance is given before anything else by definition. One cannot show true change in his life before he himself has changed [repented] to bring about manifestations of that change/repentance. For this reason repentance must necessarily come before such ordinances as water-baptism and the Lord's supper -- Well-known Christian ceremonies portraying Christ's death, substitute for man's sins, atonement, resurrection, and cleansing of sins.

Yet it is produced through the use of means

Acts 2:37, 38, 41. The very Gospel which calls for repentance produces it. When the people of Nineveh (Jonah 3:5-10) heard the preaching of the word of God by Jonah they believed the message and turned unto God. Not any message, but the Gospel is the instrument that God uses to bring about this desired end. Furthermore, this message must be preached in the power of the Holy Spirit (1 Thess. 1:5-10).

Rev. 3:19; Heb. 12:6, 10-11. The chastisements of God are sometimes for the purpose of bringing His wandering children back to repentance.

2 Tim. 2:24-25. God oftentimes uses the loving, Christian reproof of a brother to be the means of bringing us back to God.

2.Ask Jesus to come into your heart. ( the sriptures do not say that,the scripture state believe in your heart and confess with your mouth, both showing the actions of true saving faith)

#1 Don’t ask Jesus into your heart because IT IS NEVER FOUND IN THE BIBLE.

#2 Don’t ask Jesus into your heart because IT IS NOT HOW ONE IS SAVED.

#3 Don’t ask Jesus into your heart because IT REQUIRES NO UNDERSTANDING OF THE GOSPEL OF GRACE TO DO IT.

#4 Don’t ask Jesus into your heart because IT CONFUSES THE MEANS OF SALVATION WITH THE RESULTS OF SALVATION.

#5 Don’t ask Jesus into your heart because IT EITHER RESULTS IN NO ASSURANCE OF SALVATION OR BRINGS A FALSE ASSURANCE TO PEOPLE.

#6 Don’t ask Jesus into your heart because REVELATION 3:20 DOES NOT TEACH IT.

#7 Don’t ask Jesus into your heart because IT DOES NOT CLARIFY THE CONDITION OF SALVATION, IT CONFUSES IT ¾ ESPECIALLY WITH CHILDREN.

3. Allow him to transform you (let's put practicle aplication to that statement)

Then said Jesus unto His Disciples, If any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. - Matthew 16:24

If ye love Me, keep My commandments. - John 14:15

Once being saved, then what? Jesus said to follow Him and obey His commandments.

Are you following Him? Are you obeying His commandments?

What does it Mean to Follow Him?

What are His commandments?

JESUS' CALLING OF HIS DISCIPLES

Matthew 4:18 - And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.
Matthew 4:19 - And He said unto them, Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:20 - And they straightway left their nets, and followed Him.
Matthew 4:21 - And going on from thence, He saw other two brethren, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and He called them.
Matthew 4:22 - And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed Him.

Matthew 9:9 - And as Jesus passed forth from thence, He saw a man, named Matthew, sitting at the receipt of custom: and He said unto him, Follow Me. And he arose, and followed Him.

Mark 2:14 - And as He passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow Me. And he arose and followed Him.

John 1:43 - The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee, and found Philip, and said unto him, Follow Me.

What a privilege to be so chosen of the Son of God. They left their all and followed Him. They all, with the exception of John, eventually gave their lives in martyrdom for Him.

HOW TO FOLLOW JESUS

As Sheep:

John 10:7 - Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the Door of the sheep.

John 10:27 - My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me:

The Sheep follow their Shepherd. Their eyes must be on Him. Their ears must be open to His voice. They must follow His Way. Jesus put it this way - "Enter in at the narrow gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leads to destruction, and many there be which go in:" "Because narrow is the gate, and difficult is the way, which leads unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:13,14)

Jesus, the Good Shepherd, knew what all His Sheep/Disciples would face in the centuries ahead and gave this warning. "Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15) (Also check Matthew 24:24)

As Disciples:

Romans 14:19 - Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

1 Corinthians 14:1 - Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that you may prophesy.

1 Thessalonians 5:15 - See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

1 Timothy 6:11 - But you, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

2 Timothy 2:22 - Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Hebrews 12:14 - Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

1 Peter 2:21 - For even hereunto were you called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

3 John 1:11 - Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that does good is of God: but he that does evil has not seen God.

Jesus' Disciples followed in His footsteps in spite of the persecution that they faced. Here is what they practiced in their daily lives and they have passed it on to us, thru God's Word, as the Holy Spirit inspired them.

Take a reality check. Make a check list to follow.

JESUS SAYS: KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS

If ye love Me, keep my commandments. - John 14:15

He that has My commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loves Me: and he that loves Me shall be loved of My Father, and I will love him, and will manifest Myself to him. - John 14:21

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. - John 15:10

WHAT ARE THEY?

Matthew 5:19 - Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 22:37 - Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.

Matthew 22:38 - This is the first and great commandment.

Matthew 22:39 - And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Matthew 22:40 - On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mark 10:19 - You know the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honor your father and mother.

Here Are Some Commandments As Taught By Jesus.

Matthew 5:16 - "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Matthew 6:1 - "Take heed that you do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise you have no reward of your Father Who is in heaven."

Matthew 7:1 - "Judge not, that you be not judged."

Matthew 22:21 - "They say unto Him, Caesar's. Then He said to them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's."

Matthew 24:42 - "Watch therefore: for you know not what hour your Lord does come."

Mark 11:22: "And Jesus answering said unto them, Have faith in God."

John 14:11 - "Believe Me that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me: or else believe Me for the very works' sake."

Here Are Some Commandments As Taught By The Disciples, Inspired By The Holy Spirit.

1 Thessalonians 4:2 - For you know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.

Romans 12:1 - "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service."

Romans 13:8 - "Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loves another has fulfilled the law."

Romans 14:19 - "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

1 Corinthians 16:13 - "Watch, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong."

Philippians 1:27 - "Only let your conversation be as it becomes the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;"

Philippians 4:6 - "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

Colossians 2:6 - "As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him:"
Colossians 3:1 - "If you then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sits on the right hand of God."

1 Thessalonians 5:6 - "Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober."

Titus 2:2 - "That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience."

James 4:7 - "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

1 Peter 1:13 - "Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;"

1 Peter 2:11 - "Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;"

1 Peter 3:8 - "Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:"

2 Peter 1:5 - "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;"

1 John 2:15 - "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain Bob:
quote:
1. Repent

1 & 3 can be supported by Scripture. There is no Scriptural support for 2 and after 58 years as a Believer I'm getting tired of hearing it.

When the Holy Spirit makes those of us who hear the Gospel aware of God's free gift of salvation and we choose to repent and follow God the sacrifice of Jesus saves us - period. I don't know where this "ask Jesus to come into your heart" thing got started but it puts our salvation in OUR hands. We ask Him in today and perhaps tomorrow we get angry about something and throw Him out.

If we're going to share the Gospel with people let's be sure we support it with a Scriptural base.

I think the "ask Jesus to come into your heart" phrase is actually from areas very scriptural, but it's not about Salvation. It's about the process of Growing up in Christ. I agree it's a confusing phrase, after one gets saved and has been studying the scriptures. Jesus says "we MUST be born again." He says to BELIEVE in God.
He doesn't instruct us to give our heart to HIM. per se.

David prayed for God to create in him a clean heart. We give our heart to Christ after we are saved. That's a daily decision when we "die daily to ourselves".

The Bible talks alot about the Heart. The hard heart, the wicked heart, a soft heart, a contrite heart.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number 1 is accomplished by the goodness of God.

Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

Number 2 is not biblical at all.

Number 3 is accomplished by the number 1

2Co 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that you were grieved, but that you grieved to repentance. For you were grieved according to God, so that you might suffer loss by nothing in us.
2Co 7:10 For the grief according to God works repentance to salvation, not to be regretted, but the grief of the world works out death.

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one is "good".

quote:
Mark 10:18 (King James Version)

18And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree on #2 as well.

Our neighbors invited us to an Easter play last week. Towards the end of the play - after the crucifixion, but before Jesus leaves the tomb - they stopped for an "intermission" and the senior pastor presented the gospel and basically did your standard alter call, complete with praying with the audience, raise your hand if you said the prayer, etc.

It was easy believe-ism at its finest. There was absolutely no mention of repentance or forgiveness of sin - just accept Him into your heart.

Not to mention that the play had zero focus or discussion about why He hung on that cross.

I am still sick about it. This is a pastor of a congregation with several thousand if there's one.

They have a hair salon to fix the outward beauty, but what about fixing the inside? They have a food court to feed the flesh, but what about feeding the soul?

I remember when my stepdaughter went to pre-school and elementary there. She's in college now. They held classes and worship in the gymnasium - no salon, no food court, no two story play room, no tv monitors every two feet (including in the floors - I kid you not).

Now they have all that, and no preaching of sin. Sound familiar?

You guessed it - this is a full fledged Purpose Driven church. And I have a friend who has been going there for many many years who absolutely loves Osteen. What does that tell you?

Hello church! Is anybody listening?

[Frown] [crying] [Mad] [Roll Eyes] [mad2]

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When Jesus said to "believe" on Him, He was saying we should have faith in Him, in the same way you would trust a parachute to save you when you jump from a plane. You don't merely believe in the parachute - you put it on. Please don't "jump" without Jesus. If you die in your sins there is no second chance. God will give you justice, and you will end up in Hell forever. Any troubles you have at present are dwarfed by the trouble you are in with your Creator. His wrath abides upon you (John 3:36). God doesn't want you to go to Hell.

I might add put it on and KEEP it on, you never know when your face to face meeting with our wonderful, awesome, Lord Jesus Christ is going to be!!!

I can't wait!!!!

Come Lord Jesus!

[clap2]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 16 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about number 2.

I think is should be:

2. Ask Jesus to pay your sin dept and save you.

That is what we all need on judgement day.

We need to give our whole life to him and serve him 24/7/365

Too many people want to see just how little they can do and still be saved.

How about we see how much we can do before we meet Jesus face to face so we can be glad when we meet him and hear well done good and faithful servent.

Plow on, plow on...
David
[Bible]

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Saved! [clap2]
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved1948
Advanced Member
Member # 5391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved1948     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No,alone I am a sinner and am not worthy of heaven. Through the forgivness, grace and blood of Jesus Christ I will go to heaven.<><

--------------------
John 3:16+6\[/p..................For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,that whoever believed in Him should not perish but have everlasting life

Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pleasemaranatha
Advanced Member
Member # 5150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pleasemaranatha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup2] I never thought about that before.

How wonderful for it to be pointed out to us.

Thanks [Smile]

--------------------
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning. Psalms 130 verse 6

Joyce

Posts: 308 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen! Chaplain Bob; it drives me crazy too!

I did not want to be discouraging, but since you brought this up.. AMEN!!!!

Infact I was reading in Ephesians one say and I had one od those Eureka moments when the Spirit really speaks to you out of something that you have read a thousand times before and never seen.

Here is the verse:

Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

We are alienated from GOD's life. The Gospel calls us to be reconcilled to HIS life, which is a HOLY life.... asking Jesus into our heart is bring God down to us, when God is trying to bring us up to HIM!

God has never ceased to be a part of man's life! God wants to reconcile us to HIS life!

That whole concept of aksing Jesus into our hearts sabotages us.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
by_grace
Advanced Member
Member # 5340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for by_grace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that # 2 is not scriptural, I have questioned its usage for some time now...especially when it is used as easy-believism....and repentance isn't focused on near enough.

by_grace

--------------------
To "love thy neighbor as thyself" is not expressed by forfeiting, twisting or reinterpreting the Word of God for the cause of unity. It is expressed by hearing, obeying and proclaiming the whole council of God regardless of whom it might offend.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
1. Repent

1 & 3 can be supported by Scripture. There is no Scriptural support for 2 and after 58 years as a Believer I'm getting tired of hearing it.

When the Holy Spirit makes those of us who hear the Gospel aware of God's free gift of salvation and we choose to repent and follow God the sacrifice of Jesus saves us - period. I don't know where this "ask Jesus to come into your heart" thing got started but it puts our salvation in OUR hands. We ask Him in today and perhaps tomorrow we get angry about something and throw Him out.

If we're going to share the Gospel with people let's be sure we support it with a Scriptural base.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peculiar1
Member # 5579

Icon 14 posted      Profile for peculiar1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOULD YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF TO BE A GOOD PERSON?

Most people would! The bible says that "Most men will declare each his own goodness." So how good are you? [angel3]

Are you good enough to get into heaven? How good do you suppose a person has to be in order to have eternal life?

Good question, isnt it! It's not a new question though. Did you know that 2,000 years ago a rich young ruler asked that same question to Jesus? You see, this well-intentioned young man wanted to know what good deed would put him over the top. He wanted to know how good he had to be in order to have eternal life. He said to Jesus, "Good teacher, What good thing must I do that I might have eternal life."

Jesus knew that this young man was trusting in his "good works" to save him, and so he answered "There is none good but one, and that is God."

You see, you and I may look at ourselves as "good people", but Jesus said it right when he made the statement that there is none good but one.

Not a single soul has ever been saved by their good works. Jesus said, "Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

So how must we be saved?

1. Repent

Good works are just a natural bi-product that results from putting our true saving faith in Jesus.

Posts: 2 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement