Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Holiness?

Author Topic: Holiness?
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Word declares that there is NONE righteous, and that ALL have sinned and come far short of the glory of God.

The ONLY righteousness within the human is WHEN they receive Christ as their Lord and Savior, and HE alone justifies the condemned sinner. We are ALL sinners saved ONLY through the Grace of God.

We are justified solely through the Blood of Christ.

Romans 5:1,9 “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:” “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.” Man’s legal standing with Heaven is one of condemnation, and worthy of the righteous wrath of almighty God. Romans 3:23 “ For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God;”

Justification is the act of God whereby He accepts the blood of Christ as the complete and satisfying sacrifice for all human sin, propitiation, thus changing our legal status and establishing a means of reconciliation with man.

Believers are justified by the grace of God through faith. Titus 3:7 “That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” Romans 3:28 “ Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.” We see that the status of man is changed from that of the condemned to that of an heir, one who is able to inherit. Thus man is reconciled to God through the propitiation of Jesus Christ and restored to full legal righteous standing.

If one is truly saved, justified, then the Holy Spirit will begin the process of Sanctification, with the evidence of the Fruit of the Spirit. The Believer will turn their heart more and more to God, and thus from the heart keep His Commandments.

The word sanctification means to be set apart. The Holy Spirit is endeavoring to make the believer holy (set apart from the world), and spiritual (set apart to reflect the character of God). This is being accomplished in four phases.

First, the believer at conversion in receiving Christ, is set apart from sin (forgiven) and set apart to Christ, this is preparational sanctification. Matt. 23:19 “Ye fools and blind; for which is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift.”
Second, the believer is set apart from the worldly realm and is set apart to the Heavenly realm, this is positional sanctification. John 17:21 “That they all may be one, as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.”
The third form of sanctification sets apart the believer from the “old man” (sin nature), to the “new man” (thirst after righteousness). This is practical sanctification. 1Thess. 5:23 “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
The fourth form of sanctification sets apart from the stain of sin and sets us apart to be presented pure and without blemish before the judgment seat of Christ. This is prospective sanctification. Eph. 5:27 “That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

What could be clearer than the contrast of fleshly fruit and spiritual fruit found in Galations 5:
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

And these are the commandments which we are to keep:

1 John 3:

23: And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24: And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
light torch
Member # 4330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for light torch         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Born Again:
Our holiness is of and from the lord but we have to receive it in every area of our being to manifest it in our daily lives.

But when one thinks he is bad it becomes more difficult.

God bless.

Posts: 5 | From: ny | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to think that this holiness is a holiness generated by faith in God's ability, not by anything we can do.

Our righteousness is "accounted onto us" by faith in or believing in Jesus.

Likewise, holiness or "set apartness" for the LORD also tends to come gradually as the Holy Spirit and the Word of God "work in people".

"be it done to you according to your faith."

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Walt, Christ Esteem not Self Esteem. We must decrease that HE might Increase. God loved us enough while we were sinners to not leave us as we were, but to change us. That is because no matter how much he loved us, we could not be reconciled to HIS life without a change. God loved us while we were sinners and wretched... He did not accept us unto HIM this way. The whole idea of loving self is one of accepting self, and that is antithesis with God's love of us. Before we are born again, we are not in God's image, but Adam's image.
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
light torch
Member # 4330

Icon 1 posted      Profile for light torch         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi WParr:

I understand where you are coming from.

But I am not talking selfishness but loving the divine expression that we all are as human, the image and likeness of God.

Which is the true self.

When Jesus we should love our neighbor as our self what did he mean?

Jesus Christ said that a person who would loose his life (selfishness) for Christ sake will find it (true self). And finding true self leads to eternal life even if you are killed in this mortal world.

God bless you.

Posts: 5 | From: ny | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holiness IS NOT NOT NOT self love.

The Bible DOES NOT tell us to love self

quite the OPPOSITE

(Matthew 16:24) Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

(Mark 8:34) And He summoned the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

(Mark 14:30) And Jesus *said to him, "Truly I say to you, that this very night, before a rooster crows twice, you yourself will deny Me three times."

(Luke 9:23) And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.

Does this verse sound like it promotes "self love"?

(John 12:25) "He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal.

Did Paul example "self love" to us? (martyred for Y'shua)

Peter (martyred for Y'shua)?

Stephen (martyred for Y'shua)?

or how about Y'shua the messiah? - GREAT example of "self" love

(John 15:13) "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.
Does this promote "self" love??

NOT

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
light torch
Member # 4330

Hi Y'll:

His holiness a strict adherence to the law, rules or a code.

Or is it a state of being and character.

You cannot be holy if you dont have the Holy Spirit living in you controlling your spirit, soul and body.

But really holines is SELF LOVE. God is love and love fulfills the law.

Someone who do not love themself because they were told they were ugly and evil or because they were unwanted and abused has children if they believe this lie they will manifest or image unholiness.

Or if a society image uncleanness as being acceptable and smart unholiness will be the fruits of that society.

That is why the Holy Scriptures tell us to renew our minds from the evil concepts and imagination of this world.

When you truly love yourself then you will exhibit holiness. people smoke themself to death, eat them self to death, work them self to date, indulge themself to death because they have an issue with loving themself unconditionally or receiving God's love in every area of their being.

God bless you all.

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen!!!HFHS, we need a study on the Law. I mean the Spirit OF the Law verses the Letter of the Law. Its the same Law, I mean, if it was abolished or done away with how could one have the Spirit of the Law? And how could one know they are sinners in need of a savior if not for the law.

The law is not SIN, And I agree with you that we have allowed ourselves to be decieved about the Law.

We do not obey the Law for salvation, we obey the law because of Salvation, because of the One who died and paid the Penalty for sinners who break the laws of God.

The curse is SIN and Death, The Law is not the curse. Its Disobediance that leads to the curse of sin and death. Anyways, I could say more but a good study on the law would be great! Shalom

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are great examples Walt, think of John, the disciple whom Jesus loved; the one who lay his head on Jesus' breast.... and his response was Rev 1:17(a) When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man.

The thing that occurs to me is that the reason that we dont know or teach HIS holiness is that in order to see HIS Holiness, we have to see and know our sinfulness. The law was for this purpose to show man his sinfulness contrast God's holiness, but today because the Law is being taught as something that is evil and to be distained... but what did Paul teach? Paul taught that the Jews had advantage for they had the oracles of God. It astounds me that people think that Jesus has abolished the law, what is the law? It is the very WORD of God. Hello! How does make complete/fulfill amount ot desstroy?

Not under law does not mean the law has no value; it means we are not cursed by it. Paul understood we are free to obey God through Christ. Not that we were free to disobey, or that somehow God had changed and no longer had any expectations of obedience. We may not circumcise flesh, but a circumcised heart makes one different from the uncircumcised every bit as much as did circumcised flesh. Because we have allowed ourselves to be deceived about the law, we do not know our own sinfulness and thus we do not know his Holiness either!!!

Sorry, I have been writing on this overnight. I am on a rant. I will save it for my own thread. Good posts brothers.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
becauseHElives I TOTALLY agree with what you are saying.

Holiness is Yahweh's PREDOMINATE attribute

Isaiah 6:3
(3) And one called out to another and said, "Holy, Holy, Holy, is Yahweh of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory."

Revelation 4:8
(8) And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY is THE YAHWEH ELOHIM, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME."

Holy used 3 times in a row means Holy x Holy x Holly, or Holy multiplied to the infinite degree.

That's the problem with modern evangelism techniques, they don't give the "prospect" an understanding of Yahweh's Holiness, or even a glimpse of what He is like.

If we would go out and make DISCIPLES:
TEACHING them in ALL things and Y'shua commanded:

Then they could see and comprehend Yahweh Elohim's Holiness and respond to it.

Rev 1:17(a) When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man

Isaiah 6:5
(5) Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

Exodus 34:8-9
(8) Moses made haste to bow low toward the earth and worship.
(9) He said, "If now I have found favor in Your sight, Yahweh, I pray, let the Lord go along in our midst, even though the people are so obstinate, and pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us as Your own possession."

When we SEE and UNDERSTAND Yahweh Elohim’s Holiness, then our response will be repentance, TRUE worship, humility, and submission to His Holiness.

Most “churches” aren’t teaching the people about Yahweh’s Holiness (NOT a popular topic) so when they are told

"Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. " (1 Peter 1:16 )

THEY HAVE NO CLUE!!!

Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Walt and Linda think about that statement made in Scripture....

Holiness, without it no person shall see Yahweh.

I am a simple man, probably comparable to an ignorant fisherman with basic understanding of life, but I thank Yahweh I am not educated above my intelligence.

When I read the scriptures, I take them for exactly what they say, no more, no less.

The Scriptures declare Yahweh is “Holy” the Strong’s Concordance says Holy means separate, other than. Linda you spoke of the “vessels used in the temple”, that’s exactly what the true believer is “vessels set apart by Yahweh for use in the Kingdom”.

The believer has been called to be “Holy” (set apart, other than, separate) from this world, fit for the Masters use.

This “holiness” is each individuals choice. The individual chooses to be separate, other than this world.

Many are called, few are chosen.

The Apostate Church has made Christianity, to be a form of magic.

Like Walt said…

quote:
Because so many are "evangelized” by being told if the say this “prayer” (really a “repeat after me”) then they have fire insurance and are saved
Repeat the magic words “save me Jesus” and your saved (this is blaspheme)

Any teaching that does not demand death to self, is part of the Apostate teaching of the Antichrist.

Any teaching that does not lift Yeshua up as the only example for each individual to strive to be like is the Apostate teaching if the Antichrist.

Therefore be “Holy” (separate from, other than this world) as Yeshua is “Holy” (separate from, other than this world) and be received by the Father.

Love your enemies
Do good to them that despise you
Return good for evil
Set your affection on the things of Heaven, not this earth
Cause not your brother or sister to stumble, by word or deed (immodesty in our dress, gossip, foolish jesting)

Rom 8:1 [There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

quote:
That is interesting, 5496 registered members, most at least claim to be Christian and either don't know what Holiness is or don't care enough to comment on the one thing Yahweh says no person will enter His Kingdom without ?

Can that be possible?

Thats not fair Dale! I read your post and I liked it; I started to comment and felt that anything I said would have detracted from what I felt that I was just supposed to meditate on.

Your post made me to think about the vessels used in the temple, how they had to be consecrated and set apart to God. It reminded me of something that God showed me a few months back, which also got no response in a post... I had been reading in Ephesians and I came across this verse:

Ephesians 4:18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

and I noticed something in a way that I had never really noticed it before.... we were alienated from the LIFE OF GOD. We are now reconciled TO THE LIFE OF GOD. That little sinner's prayer that Walt just spoke of encourages us to "Ask God into our life" Boy can you not see the problem with that! Oh, How I wished that I had understood that problem 25 years before I did! We try to brng God down into this life of ours full of filth and vileness and sin and GOD desires to BRing us up to HIM, we are to grow UP INTO Christ, We are reconciled TO the Life of GOD... which is a HOLY life!!!!!!

But the very prayer that we evangelize with is contrary to this and encourages remaining in the flesh and apostasy.

wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

AMEN brother.

Because so many are "evangelized” by being told if the say this “prayer” (really a “repeat after me”) then they have fire insurance and are saved.

Then they go to “church” most Sundays (maybe getting a little wet somewhere along the line) and then they can sit nice and comfy thinking “I’m OK”

That approach IS NOT BIBLICAL!!!

What did Y’shua tell us to do?

Matthew 28:19-20
(19) "Go therefore and make DISCIPLES of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
(20) teaching them to OBSERVE all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

We are to make DISCIPLES, as we do this – somewhere in this process they my REPENT and TRULY BELIEVE – thus getting saved.

WHAT is disciple making entail????

Y’shua says “teaching them to OBSERVE all that I commanded you”

That word OBSERVE is very interesting”

Thayer Definition - to attend to carefully, take care of

Strong Definition - to guard (from loss or injury, properly by keeping the eye upon, from G2892, which implies a fortress or full military lines of apparatus), that is, to note (a prophecy; figuratively to fulfil a command); by implication to detain (in custody; figuratively to maintain); hold fast, keep.

So that word OBSERVE is pretty strong.

WHAT are to teach them to observe?

Y’shua said “ALL that I commanded”

You mean Y'shua MENT IT when He said

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.

How many “churches” today are REALLY doing that?????

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is interesting, 5496 registered members, most at least claim to be Christian and either don't know what Holiness is or don't care enough to comment on the one thing Yahweh says no person will enter His Kingdom without ?

Can that be possible?

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

“without holiness no man shall see the Lord.” (Heb. 12:14)

"Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. " (1 Peter 1:16 )

What is this "holiness" the scripture demand from the child of Yahweh?

For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,Teaching us, that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee. (Titus 2:11-15)

Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein. (Jeremiah 6:16)

Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. (Luke 13:24 )

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement