Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Divorse and Deaconship

Author Topic: Divorse and Deaconship
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dondi:
At this time at our church, our Deacons, myself included, our split on the divorce issue. Should a man be considered becoming a deacon if he has a divorce in his past. The ones against it have no problem with a murderer who has been saved, a wife beater who has converted, or a pastor who has been divorced. What are your thoughts on this?

There is no Scriptural prohibition of a divorced man being a deacon or pastor or anything else. The verse often used (1Tim & Titus 1) were written when poligamy was common and means they are to be married to only one woman but has been misinterpreted by many to mean that they could not be divorced. (If the Lord meant "divorce" he would have had the writer say divorce). The Contemporary English Version interprets those verses to say "...must be faithful in marriage...".

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shadowmaker:
But I think this is just Satan trying to convince me, that I m useless to God. And I know that isnt true. If God wants me to be a deacon, he ll make me a deacon. Satan or no one else can stop that. Jesus died for all of our sins, not all of them except for divorce. Brad

Amen!! - I guess the biggest issue with me about all of this is mainly not about divorce, but it is about deceit of the devil and how he can ruin our faith walk with God and put all sorts of obstacles in our way, in order to bring doubt and condemnation into our lives. God may convict us about certain areas in our lives, but once He forgives, we are forgiven. If we allow condemnation to continue, that is of the devil.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowmaker
Advanced Member
Member # 3696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shadowmaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I m in the same situation about my 1st wife committing adultery. This has really bothered me, about not being able to serve in the church. Not that I ever will or ever be ask to but just the fact that I cant. Or should I say people telling me I cant.

I also, refused to pay for the divorce, it took almost 8 yrs for her to realize I wasnt paying for it and she would have to. But like Titus, techinacally, I didnt divorce her, she divorced me.

But I think this is just Satan trying to convince me, that I m useless to God. And I know that isnt true. If God wants me to be a deacon, he ll make me a deacon. Satan or no one else can stop that. Jesus died for all of our sins, not all of them except for divorce.

Brad

Posts: 272 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Titus:
I cannot take the credit for this, for it was God's doing. Titus

Hallelujah!! God certainly is good [dance] [youpi]

Happy for you too Mr. Ron. [Smile]

Titus
Advanced Member
Member # 4394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Titus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Cut and paste) "Titus, as far God is concerned, you properly dotted all of your "i's" and crossed all of your "t's", so I am glad to see that you haven't let the devil waiver you from His definitive answer for your life."

I cannot take the credit for this, for it was God's doing. I fought against the divorce for almost three months to no avail. It wasn't until I surrendered the entire situation to God that things began happening and man oh man did things ever begin happening quickly. To make a long story short, after the 90 day waiting period the attorney then files for a court date and usually it takes about 90 to 120 days to get a date with the court. I prayed to God that mine would take six months. It took 3 days. I had to pay her attorney $1000.00 before the divorce would be considered, I knew I didn't have that kind of money so I felt that maybe God would work in that way to prevent the divorce. A friend called 15 minutes after the court date had been set and asked me how much this was going to cost. I said about $1000.00. She and her husband gave me the money interest free for six months, no strings attached. This was the final hurdle. I was not required to be present at the hearing and I have no idea what was said. I just know about two days later, I got the decree in the mail.

Titus

Posts: 27 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very good news to hear, Titus.

I know that divorce can be a very difficult thing to go through. My first wife divorced me 33 years ago. 'Twas not a marriage made in heaven. I am very glad now she left me, but at the time it really hurt. Niether of us were Christians at that time.

I have been married happily to my present wife for 31 years. She is a gift from the Lord God, and I wouldn't trade her for 3 wives, even if they were young and hot!

Glad your church broke that 'hard shell' un-biblical tradition. If there is no such thing as forgiveness, then Christianity is a poor choice for a religeon.

Have a great day,

Ronnie

Posts: 102 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Ron:
I'm only asking this as a question, I'm not sure of the answer.

Question- Didn't Jesus say that it was OK for a man to get a divorce if the spouse had committed adultery?

YES - from the words of Jesus himself -Matthew 19:9 "Moses permitted divorce as a concession to you hard-hearted wickedness, but it was not what God had originally intended. And I tell you this, "a man who divorces is wife and married another commitest adtulery - unless is wife has been unfaithful."

Titus, as far God is concerned, you properly dotted all of your "i's" and crossed all of your "t's", so I am glad to see that you haven't let the devil waiver you from His definitive answer for your life.

Titus
Advanced Member
Member # 4394

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Titus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Cut and paste) "Question- Didn't Jesus say that it was OK for a man to get a divorce if the spouse had committed adultery?

If so, wouldn't the man in question (the one being judged as to his worthiness to be made a deacon)need to be questioned about his divorce?

If it was his spouse's fault, then there is no problem with him being divorced.!!?? No problem with him being a deacon!?"

That is what the pastors of the church I am now attending did. They wanted to know EXACTLY what had happened, so I told all three of them that I had received Christ during my divorce proceedings. I had sought Christ during that very difficult time in the hopes that we could mend our relationship. But my unsaved wife was not willing to give up her lover. After reading my Bible I felt guilty about filing a suit against her, so I dropped all divorce proceedings and told her I was planning on moving back in the next Monday. She called an attorney and filed papers against me the next day (Friday). Those papers were the ones used to execute the divorce. So technically she divorced me, not the other way around. I attempted to make things right for several months, but eventually I could see she had completely and totally abandoned me and wanted NOTHING to do with me. Since then (1975) God has shown me that I am scripturally divorced according to Matthew 19:9, and I also scripturally 'not bound' to my ex any longer according to 1 Cor 7:15 which states: "But if the unbeliever wants to leave let him leave. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances."

I still pray for her frequently, but as yet she has steadfastly refused to have anything to do with Jesus, the church or anything that smacks of spirituality. I was also asked and I provided the names and phone numbers of my former next door neighbor so if the pastors wanted to they could call and confirm my story. (Believe me my former neighbors knew EVERYTHING about the divorce!) Whether they called them or not I don't know, but they asked me to step into the office one Sunday morning several weeks after the interview and told me that for the first time in the 40 year history of that particular fellowship a divorced man would be allowed to teach an adult Sunday school class, and that man was me.

Titus

Posts: 27 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chaoschristian
Advanced Member
Member # 5273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaoschristian   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Ron wrote:
quote:
Maybe we should not let anybody join our church, if we have a good bunch of folks in it. Why take the chance of allowing someone in who may not be as pure as we are, or as pure as we think they need to be. Perhaps a good policy is to just play it safe.
Ha! Your post reminds me of the 'no-true-Scotsman' fallacy. Following the logic in your post, there are no true Christians. (And don't take this personally, I can read the sarcasm between the lines.)

There is no human authority which can determine what or who a true Christian is. That judgment is reserved for God alone in the end. In the meantime, we do have authority to rebuke behavior that we see as un-Godly. The rules for that are set out pretty concisely and clearly if I recall correctly. What we cannot do is allow ourselves to judge who is a true Christian. If one were to employ the 'so-and-so is not a true Christian because 'line then one must be prepared to have it employed against oneself as well. Because our Christianity is determined through one thing alone - salvation through faith. And that is a matter between the sinner and the Father alone. What we will see is the fruit of ones faith - character, behavior and attitude. We can judge that, with temperance.

We can either choose to accept all claims to Christianity, the good with the bad, or we can choose to reject all claims to Christianity, but in doing so we will have to reject our own as well.

--------------------
Why are you reading my bio when you should be paying attention to the post?

Posts: 109 | From: Snack Food Capital of the World (Hanover, PA for those of you who don't know) | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only asking this as a question, I'm not sure of the answer.

Question- Didn't Jesus say that it was OK for a man to get a divorce if the spouse had committed adultery?

If so, wouldn't the man in question (the one being judged as to his worthiness to be made a deacon)need to be questioned about his divorce?

If it was his spouse's fault, then there is no problem with him being divorced.!!?? No problem with him being a deacon!?

Maybe we should not let anybody join our church, if we have a good bunch of folks in it. Why take the chance of allowing someone in who may not be as pure as we are, or as pure as we think they need to be. Perhaps a good policy is to just play it safe.

Your opinions, please.

Posts: 102 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Bandit:
My thoughts are that the very fact that your church is split over this question indicates that your church is not Spirit led. Your church has much bigger problems than finding the answer to this question (which should be that a forgiven person is just that - forgiven). I have my doubts as to the spiritual maturity of those leading your church. Bandit

God is not the author of confusion.
Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bandit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dws129:
I am confident that the basis for the requirement that a deacon not be divorced is 1 Tim. 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

At the church I attend deacons can not be divorced, based on this verse. We had this issue come up as well, we have one man who is a wonderful God loving individual who was divorced some 50 years ago, remarried and been with his current wife ever since. His first wife has since died and the question was asked since his first wife is now dead should he still not be allowed to be a deacon because there is nothing that says it is wrong to remarry after a spouse dies.

Although I'm sure some would interpret one wife to mean one wife ever period. And some could say it means you can't have more than one at a time.

Anyway, regardless of what we think we have to go by what God says and it appears by scripture that being divorced and remarried would prevent you from being a deacon.

I thank my God that I don't go to your church. You've got no clue...

Bandit

Posts: 113 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bandit
Advanced Member
Member # 3643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bandit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dondi:
At this time at our church, our Deacons, myself included, our split on the divorce issue. Should a man be considered becoming a deacon if he has a divorce in his past. The ones against it have no problem with a murderer who has been saved, a wife beater who has converted, or a pastor who has been divorced. What are your thoughts on this?

My thoughts are that the very fact that your church is split over this question indicates that your church is not Spirit led. Your church has much bigger problems than finding the answer to this question (which should be that a forgiven person is just that - forgiven). I have my doubts as to the spiritual maturity of those leading your church.

Bandit

Posts: 113 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Titus
Advanced Member
Member # 4394

Cut and Paste) I can tell your are from the seeker friendly "Church Growth Movement."

Humm, now if THAT doesn't sound devastating to the church. The LAST thing we need is for a bunch of those those horrible SINNERS (gasp, I almost can't even say that word without getting sick to my stomach) to start invading our comfortable air conditioned church buildings and start seeking forgiveness and mercy and grace. Why the next thing you know they might actually hear the gospel and get SAVED! HEAVEN FORBID!!! So quick, lets begin being 'seeker discouraging' instead of seeker friendly because we surely don't want our churches to grow do we? This IS the church of "Us Four and no More" isn't it?

Titus

P.S. I love Christians! They are so interesting.

Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

Dear Because He Lives,

from your post-
---------------------------------------------
'Mr Ron, His Grace,

Your opinion over the Scriptures?

How sad!

I can tell your are from the seeker friendly "Church Growth Movement"
------------------------------------------------
My post was about a true story. Something that really happened. I personally don't find anything sad about it. But, here again, that's me and I am far from perfect.

I'm not fimiliar with this "Church Growth Movement", but by the implication of the name it sounds like a real good thing.

HisGrace
unregistered

BTW, I have never been divorced and God has given me a very clear map on how I am supposed to conduct my own personal life, all based on the scriptures.

What may be wrong for me, depending on the circumstances, may be ok for someone else. I never judge someone else in this area because it is between them and God.

HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
Mr Ron, His Grace,
How sad!

The scriptures are very clear BHL
Jeremiah 3:6-8 During the reign of King Josiah, the LORD said to me, "Have you seen what faithless Israel has done? She has gone up on every high hill and under every spreading tree and has committed adultery there. I thought that after she had done all this she would return to me but she did not, and her unfaithful sister Judah saw it.

I gave faithless Israel her certificate of divorce and sent her away because of all her adulteries Yet I saw that her unfaithful sister Judah had no fear; she also went out and committed adultery.

Matthew 19:7-9"Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"

Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."

~Some article has told you that it is only possible to get a divorce during the betrothal period. There is no legal document binding a couple during the betrothal period in our modern day; just when they get married. That's the law of the land.

The marriage vows say, "Let no man put asunder." If a partner is unfaithful that marriage has been put asunder and the covenant has been broken and shattered. It exists no longer.

God considers it such a serious offence that He is allowing divorce, according to the scriptures. That little piece of paper becomes worthless because that person has become one flesh with someone else.

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Ron, His Grace,

How sad!

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Ron:
He confronted them with this-
"You told me I was a new creature in Christ. You said my past was forgiven, and that all was new.

Now I love the Lord and want to serve as a deacon, and you say I cannot because of my past?"

The church got together, decided he was correct, and he became a very active deacon.

If a man can be made new, let's tell him that and mean it. If he can't, then we should be honest and tell him his past cannot be forgiven.

Whoops! That makes us hypocrits, , does it not?

Hallelujah!! It's always nice to see victory stories. [hyper]
Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

I knew a fellow one time who had lived a pretty rough life, which included at least one marriage and one divorce. He had not been a Christian, by any stretch of the imagination.

Later, he was saved, and was very active in the Baptist church.

He wanted very much to become a deacon, but they told him he could not, as he had been married before to a woman who was no longer his wife.

He confronted them with this-
"You told me I was a new creature in Christ. You said my past was forgiven, and that all was new.

Now I love the Lord and want to serve as a deacon, and you say I cannot because of my past?"

The church got together, decided he was correct, and he became a very active deacon.

If a man can be made new, let's tell him that and mean it. If he can't, then we should be honest and tell him his past cannot be forgiven.

Whoops! That makes us hypocrits, , does it not?

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question becauseHelives. Yeshua told the adulterous woman to "go, and sin No more".

If we sin, we have an advocate with the Father, but we must not trample on the grace and forgivness.

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by becauseHElives:
How does someone repent of any sin?

If you continue in that sin have you truly repented?

If you continue wallowing in guilt have you truly repented?
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does someone repent of any sin?

If you continue in that sin have you truly repented?

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Titus:
So God is going to hold me accountable for her sin and for mine since there is no forgiveness ever huh? Woe is me, OR I can believe that there is forgiveness for the sin of divorce, and I can go on and live a productive life serving my Lord and master proclaiming that God has provided a Lamb that "taketh away the sins of the world." (John 1:29) including the sin of divorce.Titus

Amen - good show!! Hanging onto guilt of the past and not trusting God that our sins have been cleansed is just as much of a sin as the sin itself.

Hebrews 10:22
let us draw near to God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.

Notices it says 'cleanse', which confirms that guilt is a sin.

Titus
Advanced Member
Member # 4394

Like I said, "Christ died for all the sins of the world, except for divorce. His blood cannot atone for this sin, nor is there any forgiveness for this sin either in this world or in the world to come."

I am one of those unfortunate ones that was divorced, and based on the above response there is no hope for me. Although my wife had an extramarital affair with a boy of 15 and she abandoned me when I turned her in to the prosecuting attorney that makes no difference. Some will claim that one can ONLY refer to Mark 10:10 because it proves their point. The Corinthian passage and Matt 19:9 cannot be 'real' passages as these passages permit divorce. Hey, I know what happened, they must have been added later by some rascal who was divorced. Out comes the razor blade again I guess!

So God is going to hold me accountable for her sin and for mine since there is no forgiveness ever huh? Woe is me, OR I can believe that there is forgiveness for the sin of divorce, and I can go on and live a productive life serving my Lord and master proclaiming that God has provided a Lamb that "taketh away the sins of the world." (John 1:29) including the sin of divorce.

Titus

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matthew 19:9-10

And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with [his] wife, it is not good to marry.

The disciples understood the severity of Yeshua's words

For almost 2000 years divorce was almost unheard in the Church of Yeshua but in just 100 years the so called Church has went from less that 5% of marriages ending in divorce to over 50% of all marriages ending in divorce.

We have the perversion of the teaching of the True Gospel to thank for this drastic change.

Ezra 10 does not speak of any of those men remarrying but it does make reference to keeping the Commandment

"Few there be that find it." But doesn’t everyone know the way by now? Surely multitudes of people will find it? Not at all. The way that leads to Life is narrow, and few there be that find it. Isn’t the way Jesus? And doesn’t everyone know that? Well, everyone has been told that, and they think they know it, but Jesus as He really is and Jesus as He is commonly taught are two different things.

--------------------

Titus
Advanced Member
Member # 4394

Christ died for all the sins of the world, except for divorce. His blood cannot atone for this sin, nor is there any forgiveness for this sin either in this world or in the world to come. (So say the ultra legalistic Bible thumpers UNTIL THEY find themselves divorced, THEN it is a different story.)

Dr. Charles Swindoll, of the Dallas Theological Seminary says the meaning of the 'husband of but one wife' actually means the man being considered to be elected to the position of deacon must not be a skirt chaser who lusts after every pretty woman that sets foot into the church. I've gotta admit this makes a heckuva lot more sense than that it means a man who has had the unfortunate circumstance of finding himself divorced because his unsaved wife had an affair and she wanted out. Actually this situation is covered in 1 Cor 7: 10 thru 16. Verse 15 says "But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman IS NOT BOUND in such a circumstance" (emphasis mine.)

People who teach God NEVER permits divorce had better get the razor blade out and remove all of chapter 10 of the book of Ezra where 110 Israelites had married pagan women, and in order to appease God's anger, they were commanded by God's prophet Ezra to divorce their wives, they did so and God immediately forgave them.

Titus

becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

dws129,

It is that death of a spouse that allow us to return unto Yahweh,

Romans 7:2-3 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

HisGrace you must understand we are in the bethotal period. We are promised eternal life on the condition we are found faithful.

Jam 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Rev 19:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

From saints to bride

In the marriage, the bride becomes the wife. Is she then the saints? Let's look at the text.

"Let us [the multitude] be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him [the Lord God omnipotent who reigns]: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God." (Rev. 19:7-9)

If the linen is the righteousness acts of the saints, then those who wear it are the saints, now identified as the bride. (Also see separation of sheep and goats - righteous acts determined where they spent eternity) This transition here helps us see the relationship between virgins and wife in Jesus' story of the ten virgins. At the end of the wedding, the faithful among them, collectively, become the wife.

In Matthew 22 we find the parable of the wedding prepared by a king for the marriage of his son. Christ's bride, by His grace, prepares herself for marriage. This is one of the processes of the preadvent judgment. The other is the inspection (or actual judgment).

The king looks over the guests to see that they have on the garments furnished for the occasion. Those who are found with the garment — the righteousness of Christ — go in to the supper. They are, collectively, the pure church — by God's grace, you and me.

Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb. If they accept the free gift of righteousness, they enter in through the gates into the city (Rev. 22:14).

Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. (Eph. 5:24-27)

Notice that Christ not only receives us, but he prepares us by washing us as we listen to His voice in the Scriptures and follow Him. Then He presents us to Himself! This preparation that makes the church glorious and perfect is the work of the preadvent, investigative judgment. The judgment is represented as the cleansing of the sanctuary (and hence the people) in Lev. 16. Our job is to yield ourselves to Him as a wife to a pure husband. Then His righteousness becomes our righteousness not only in title, but in our reflection of His character. The verdict in our case is our own choice!

Rev. 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

Rev. 14:12, 13 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

Rev. 16:15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments [from contamination by spirits from the mouths of dragon, beast, and false prophet], lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.

Rev. 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

Rev. 19:21; 20:3, 5, 6 And the remnant [the wicked remaining after the beast and false prophet were cast into the fire] were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh. . . . [An angel form heaven] laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years. . . . . But the rest of the dead [those not made alive to reign as judges] lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Rev. 22:6, 7 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done. Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Rev. 22:14 - 19 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. . . . . For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

--------------------

HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by dws129:
I am confident that the basis for the requirement that a deacon not be divorced is 1 Tim. 3:12 Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.
At the church I attend deacons can not be divorced, based on this verse. We had this issue come up as well, we have one man who is a wonderful God loving individual who was divorced some 50 years ago, remarried and been with his current wife ever since. His first wife has since died and the question was asked since his first wife is now dead should he still not be allowed to be a deacon because there is nothing that says it is wrong to remarry after a spouse dies.
Although I'm sure some would interpret one wife to mean one wife ever period. And some could say it means you can't have more than one at a time.

I interpret that scripture as meaning polygamy, because in early Bible times men had multiple wives. This man only has had one wife in each of his marriages. He only has one wife now.

I don't believe they should be splitting hairs about this case - nobody seems to have the correct answer anyway. A lot depends on the circumstances of his divorce too. Probably he asked for forgiveness if he were the one to err.

quote:
The ones against it have no problem with a murderer who has been saved, a wife beater who has converted, or a pastor who has been divorced. What are your thoughts on this?
How come everything can be forgiven except divorce?
Is the enemy keeping your church from having a very spiritually productive member from having a well-deserved deaconship position?

dws129
Community Member
Member # 1128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dws129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Anyway, regardless of what we think we have to go by what God says and it appears by scripture that being divorced and remarried would prevent you from being a deacon.

Posts: 11 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 15 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scriptures are very plain on this subject.

To be a leader or hold any office in the Church

1. First must be a man (not a woman, a woman can not be in authority at all in the Church))

2. A man must have only one wife to hold any office in the Church,

3. A man must be able to rule his own household , his wife and children must follow after the truth in such a way as to bring honor to Christ, His Church and the home

--------------------

dondi
Advanced Member
Member # 4966

Icon 19 posted      Profile for dondi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, you'll have to excuse my spelling of " divorce". [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and him with Me. Rev. 3:20

Posts: 33 | From: Ceres,Ca | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dondi
Advanced Member
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dondi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and him with Me. Rev. 3:20

Posts: 33 | From: Ceres,Ca | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement