Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Music

Author Topic: Music
seashells
Community Member
Member # 5246

Icon 15 posted      Profile for seashells     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that rock music will make you burn in hell. Just as I don't think watching TV will. I recently decided that if my walk with God was to strengthen that i did not want to watch TV or listen to that kind of music anymore. I purchased some good uplifting stuff from MercyMe and Bethany Dillon (since I like this kind of stuff and the lyrics were praising God) and I have not missed anything about the old stuff I used to listen too. For me, this kind of music was hindering. It came to a point where i would listen and say to myself "these lyrics are really not pleasing to God" and not only that, do I want my kids listening to the message that this brings into my house? So the TV, movies, and music all went. I watch TV once in a blue moon and see movies that I hear are uplifting/inspirational. I don't fill my mind with useless garbage because I get enough of that during the day just talking to people. I surround myself with God's word. And since I eliminated much of this, I have more time for family, church, and most important my time with God. I really believe God wants to get us to the place where we don't need to fill our time with things that don't matter. (I'm not saying an occasional fun thing/hobby is bad--everything in moderation). My marriage, friendships, and relationship with God has improved 100%. All those things were headed in a downward spiral and because I trusted in God and did what I felt He was calling me to do, things are so much better. Maybe you are upset about the music thing because you are fighting the battle within yourself. I used to get mad about the music thing too when people would say that to me. And some Christian stuff is just as bad in my opinion. You will find people who will agree with you and this gives you a chance to reason your decision in your own mind. I guess I would seek God and not man. What is He speaking to your heart? We can reason most things by asking men what they think, but what does God say?
Posts: 9 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Country Music and Oldies. I listen to both but, we mostly listen to Country Gospel on live 365 on line. I don't see listening to regular music as a sin. Of course I would not listen to music with bad words in it and I am much too old to appreciate rap, heavy metal, punk, etc.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyearandcounting
Advanced Member
Member # 4449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneyearandcounting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning Johnny,

Your post was very interesting. When I first came to know the Lord I had a cd collection that ws about 2000 CDS. One of the things that I had a hard time with was the fact that I liked my music. I had a huge collection of stuff that took me almost 20 years to get it where it was.

When I got saved I still listened to the music but one day it just didn't seem right something didn't sit well inside. I ended up doing alot of praying and I even did some research into the music I was listining to.

What I came up with was if the music didn't honor God then as a Christian I shouldn't listen to it. WOuld I burn in hell if I did, no, but it Was something that was putting a wedge between me and the Father. My music was basically a high place. I ended up giving away every CD that I had. The ones that noone wanted I thre away. I am to a point in my life where I need the Lord more than I need the music.

Now one of the groups you actually mentioned was the band Kiss. Yes they do have a song about GOd giving rock and roll to you. My question would have to be whose god? They also sing a song called Heavens on fire. Makes me wonder who would want Heaven to be on fire.

YOu can go through the whole song list and find things that are diffently not of God. If it isn't of God who is it from?

So I guess my point is when it comes to music you have to look at the content. If you call yourself a Christian and you find nothing that glorifies our Lord then the music may be bad.

So I guess that the closer you want your walk to be with God the more you have to look at the things you like.

I personnally think that rock and roll may have been started by the Devil,But maybe man just thinks of his flesh more than his spirit so you get the music we have.

You said you like 50's Rock. Thats Elvis correct? What did he sing about. And I don't mean the Gospel music he sang occasionally.

I hope this answers your question. if not We can discuss it more.

God bless

greg

--------------------
Acts9:18 And straightway there fell from his eyes as it were scales, and he received his sight; and he arose and was baptized.

Posts: 183 | From: winder Ga | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a video that I watched one time and it blew my mind. It has lead singers and band members telling you that their goal is to lead the kids and others away from the Lord and their parents. I'm telling you right now that you have never seen anything like this. I was a rock and roll fan for years and this video showed me things that I would have never believed if I hadn't heard it for myself right from the mouths of the people in the bands. I'm not trying to tell you what to listen to because that is a choice that only you can make, but I can tell you that this video will give you a new outlook on the subject.

http://www.goodfight.org/

http://www.illuminati-news.com/art-and-mc/satanic-quotes.htm

http://www.illuminati-news.com/art-and-mc/index2.htm

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Prophet
First Post
Member # 5244

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Johnny Prophet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can someone here explain to me why rock and roll music is viewed as evil? For years, I have gone round for round with other christians and non christians on this subject, and to date, I am still waiting for one person to convince me that it is evil or at the least, harmful. Alot of these folks who have told me that I am on a one way ticket to hell for listening to Rock and roll are die-hard Country Western music fans. These people have room to talk when a majority of country western songs are about boozing, cheating on your spouse or adulerous sex and relationships. I discussed this recently with my pastor and he told me that any kind of music, from classical to Rock and Roll, jazz to christian, opera to rap, is not harmful, it is what the listener makes of it and takes from it. He explained that a person, especially a christian, has to know where to draw the line on what is right and wrong to listen to. I don't listen to music that is full of swearing, (such as Emminem)or this new supposed junk called "death metal or that rap stuff (to me, rap is a bunch of noise that talks about killing people), but I listen to the music of the 50s thru the late 80s. For once, and for a final time, I wish I could discuss this subject with someone who doesn't see thru tunnel vision and for someone to show me what is wrong with Rock and roll, and not let their personal preference of music cloud their judgement. I have read the bible cover to cover and nowhere have I ever read anything that says that it is wrong. I strongly believe in the verse of a song written by the rock group KISS (which for the record, does NOT in any way, stand for Knights In Service for Satan, and I can proove this)that goes "God gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to you, put it in the soul, of everyone". I would really like just one person to prove to me I am wrong, and that Thou shalt not Rock and Roll.
Posts: 1 | From: Northeastern United States | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement