Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Faith or Medicine?

Author Topic: Faith or Medicine?
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed - a lot of that is very true Linda. [wave3]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure, but I believe that Tuna is a fish without scales. Fish without scales are ones that are God made garbage disposals. The problem with Tuna is the mercury content in their bodies and certainly fresh Tuna is better than canned and surprisingly there are higher concentrations of toxins in White Tuna than in dark tuna.

I agree with you that we cannot live in paranoia. That would also be unBiblical, but I honestly believe that there is a lot that ails us that could be avoided by following Biblical advice. Know also that I am not claiming to follow as I should either. As I said I love seafood and that includes all manner of shellfish and I eat pork too and I enjoy it and will continue to do so till I feel led otherwise, I just dont stress about these things; but neither do I think that the fact that almost every single one of us has either been directly affected by cancer ourselves or knows someone who has and these things are directly related to what we eat and what we put in our envoronment. Think about plastics. Think about preservatives. This is somewhat morbid, but I have a close friend in the mortuary business. Do you know that today bodies do not decompose normally because of food preservatives stored in our tissues? Seriously! I read a trade magazine article on this! Or think about the problems we are having with super bacterias and viruses and look at the antibiotics in our meat and poultry. I have suffered with a variety of auto immune problems and I know that these things are related to what we eat.

Medicines too can be the enemy. When I was younger, I was given cortisone. Today I have health issues that are direct result of cortisone taken years ago.

Today we take out body parts as routine. Doctors will tell you that you dont need tonsils and if they act up get them out. Well you know what tonsils were designed by God to do what they do, swell up and get yucky because they are filtering yucky out of your body...the problem is not tonsils... it is too much yuk in our bodies! The same is true of apendixes. We do not have spare un-needed parts. We have God designed parts that do not function as they were designed because of what we do to them with our eating, sleeping, and envoironmental habits.

Do you know how many people walk around dehydrated today because we drink coffee and sodas and all manner of things that do not supplu our bodies with pure water that is needed? Have you ever been dehydrated? Your feet swell and you cant breath and your heart is labored and you dont think straight and cant process correctly and can even be depressed and if you have arthritis... dehydration can make you not able to walk! Simple water can change your life.

off the soap box sorry. [wave3]

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Do you eat shellfish? I do. I love shell fish. But there is a reason that the Bible speaks in the OT against shellfish and other things that were designed by God to clean the water or the earth. Do you know that eating just 1 can of tuna a week is attributed to astronomical growth of brain cancer in children. The Bible says dont eat tuna... but we ignore that as obsolete information and our heath suffers accordingly.

Funny all I hear lately is "Eat fish, eat fish, eat fish, it is good for your memory. You should eat fish at least once a week"

Many Christians agree that anything that is mentioned in the Bible is good for you. Fish was one of the most frequently used staples on Jesus' diet. I agree that shellfish isn't good for you, but I thought tuna was in the same family as salmon, which is very good for you.

quote:
IndyStar.com Local News Nation/World
October 11, 2005
Eat fish, remember more
Study shows one meal a week decreases memory loss associated with aging

By Ronald Kotulak
Chicago Tribune
CHICAGO -- Eating fish once a week slows the memory loss associated with aging by 10 percent a year, according to a study of elderly Chicagoans.
For people who eat more than one fish meal a week, the slowdown in memory loss amounted to 13 percent a year, Rush University Medical Center epidemiologist Martha Clare Morris reported Monday in the online version of the medical journal Archives of Neurology.

Careful analyses of diet, lifestyle and cognitive function showed that after six years those who consumed fish weekly were about 3 to 4 years younger mentally than those who seldom ate fish, she said.

There is probably all of kinds of "data" purporting the dangers of mercury in fish, but some of that is greatly exaggerated too. If we listen to everything that is printed, we wouldn't buy even a head of lettuce or eat our carrots. I know everything is sometimes laced with pesticides, but I don't want to get wrapped up in paranoia. Just wash them really well and trust God to take care of us.

web page

RedeemTheTime
Community Member
Member # 5161

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedeemTheTime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mental problems are a spiritual and physical issue. Both need to be examined in order for an individual to get the help they need. It can be one or the other or both. Examine your heart against the Word of God to make sure first of all that you are a child of God. If so, then examine your walk with the Lord and see how it measures up next to the Bible and as people here have said, pray and seek the Lord for answers. It can also be a physical problem with improper diet, allergies and/or chemical imbalance as has been posted already. It's not something that should be ignored because of shame or embarrassment either. It's a real and legitimate problem for many people. Don't be afraid to seek wise and godly counsel from real people in the real world, (not just here on a message board, which by the way in my opinion was a brave thing to do!!:-) ) I sincerely hope/pray that you find help and peace for this difficulty!
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they might if it were pulled out of context as it is here.

What I am saying is that there is a lot of wisdom in the Bible that we do not follow and our health suffers accordingly.

Here are some examples:

Do you eat shellfish? I do. I love shell fish. But there is a reason that the Bible speaks in the OT against shellfish and other things that were designed by God to clean the water or the earth. Do you know that eating just 1 can of tuna a week is attributed to astronomical growth of brain cancer in children. The Bible says dont eat tuna... but we ignore that as obsolete information and our heath suffers accordingly.

How much disease is stress related? The links between stress and corinary artery disease, and obeiesity and adult onset diabetes and cancer and probably a host of things I dont know about are phenominal! The Bible says worry not what you shall wear or eat or where you shall sleep etc, and do we live that way? No! and our lives suffer accordingly.

The Bible say honour thy Mother and Father... that your days be long on the earth, but how many even know what it means to HONOR their parents. Does your life bring HONOR to your earthly parents? It does not say obey...we teach our children obey... but the commandment is honor. It is not honoring to your parents to sleep with the same sex or any sex outside of marriage and our health suffers accordingly.

I could go on and on; but you get the picture. As our souls prosper we live as HE wills us to live and when we live as HE wills us to live we live in the protection of HIS kingdom...a heavenly Kingdom, though we be in the earth and thus we are not subject to the ills of the heathen that live outside his will.

That is not the same thing that WOF teaches.

It is not popular, but I am of the belief that mental illness is spiritual issue. I believe that the chemical imbalances that we can see and measure and relate to mental illness are a response of the body to the spiritual oppression and not the cause of the problem. I believe that the rebirth has given us a SOUND mind..... the Mind of Christ and thus mental illness is something we need not be in bondage to and that this is different that illnesses of the physical body which is a dying body.

I believe that the Bible gives us all that is needed to not suffer mental illness. Again, I know that this is not popular and I mean offense to no one; it is just my personal belief and my life's experience and I believe that the scripture supports it.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

quote:
from HFHS on another thread -
Yes, God wills us to proper and be in health... but according to the prospering of our souls!!! The more we walk in HIS will and HIS ways and according to HIS commands and in obedience and right authority and not ignoring the wisdom of the scriptures the more we will walk in health and prosperity.

Some faith-filled believers may interpret this as saying that they are not healed because they do not have enough faith.
HisGrace
unregistered

Very true BORN AGAIN.

I also don't understand the view that people believe that it is almost a sin to expect physical healing.

Let's take a look at Isaiah 53:5
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Jesus was wounded spiritually for our transgressions, but he was also physically beaten. Those stripes weren't symbolic stripes, there were literally real stripes on his body.

That means that we can also receive a physical healing, if it is his will. Jesus healed many who were physically ill.

John 5:3-7 Crowds of sick people--blind, lame, or paralyzed--lay on the porches. One of the men lying there had been sick for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him and knew how long he had been ill, he asked him, "Would you like to get well?"

"I can't, sir," the sick man said, "for I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred up. While I am trying to get there, someone else always gets in ahead of me."
Jesus told him, "Stand up, pick up your sleeping mat, and walk!"

I just love this scripture -

Matthew 12:15
But when Jesus knew it, he withdrew himself from thence: and great multitudes followed him, and he healed them all

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

HisGrace writes
quote:
When a healing does come, it is according to God's proper timing, which may mean weeks or even years. We can't look at anyone and judge if they are not being healed according to our timetable.
And according to His Purpose too. Sometimes people are more useful to Him in a handicapped or sick state than they are in a so-called "healthy" state where they did not spend much time listening to Him, being so self-sufficient that they did not need to call on Him until they got into REAL trouble. Well, now they ARE in REAL trouble and they are calling on Him.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Those of you who teach that Christians should never be sick or have any illness... Stop This False Teaching! You are HURTING People!!!!"

This quote was made on another thread, I have been looking for such posts from someone who might be saying such things and I can't find any??

There are a number of reasons why people get sick and only God can answer that question. Most Christians believe that doctors and medicine certainly have their place.

I have been told of personal incidences of where God has revealed to someone that they have become sick because of abusing their bodies, but that doesn't mean every case is like that.

It's all according to God's will if we are healed.

Joni Ericksen did some real soul searching in her own life and thought perhaps some sort of sin was keeping her from being healed. After some time she discovered that it was God's will for her to help others and not be healed. She therefore submitted to his will to remain as a quadraplegic for the rest of her life.

When a healing does come, it is according to God's proper timing, which may mean weeks or even years. We can't look at anyone and judge if they are not being healed according to our timetable.

BORN AGAIN
unregistered

My bornagain Catholic friend has to take anti-psychotic medication for else he ends up in the hospital or sleeping in the woods.

It has nothing to do with whether he is a bornagain Catholic or not. I however agree with TEXASGRANDMA that along with any medication you would want to continue to read the Bible and pray and it may be that the LORD will become sufficiently stabilizing to not have to take any more medication eventually.

Why does your wife think that you should take something?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by oneofgods:
I have been struggling with depression a good part of my life (24 years old). I never really thought too much about it though, it was just something I went through here and there. Well, my son is currently going through evaluations for his bahavior, and we are coming to the conclusion that he is Bi-Polar or something similar.

We are now starting to think that this is most likely what I have just by comparing the symptoms. I have not talked to any therapists or had any medication yet, as this is kind of a new developement. My wife thinks I should however. I don't want to have to rely on a drug to help me (not saying it won't or that people shouldn't if they believe they should). I feel that God is trying to purify my faith through all of this. I know medicine can help people, but I don't feel like it is the way in this situation. I want to learn to lean on God, family , and friends when I am going through these mood swings, not some drug that will go away.

Anyway, just curious about some thoughts you guys might have?

I'll pray for you and for God to lead you and your son to the correct and true treatment. If you are only 24 years old, your son can't be very old. Bi-polar in children is something that can be emotional and be depression or hyperactity which is also a symptom of depression in children.

I don't know how many doctors have seen your child, but if one one has made this diagnosis, I suggest a second opinion as the medical world is not always correct when it tries to diagnose mental disorders in children. Has your son been checked out physically for any hormonal problems or other physical causes to his behaviors?

Also for you, has your depression ever caused you to not be able to function for periods of time? Like not being able to work, lack of pleasure, not eating much, or eating too much, or sleeping too much or not being able to sleep? Do you get decreased energy at times, and other times seem hyperactive?

You need to get checked physically yourself and then have a screening for depression by a doctor that you can trust.

There are medications that can help with chemical brain imbalances if that is what the problem is.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Ron:

Years ago I had a supervisor who was such a pain in the *** that I couldn't get along with him at all. Had a real serious hatred for this guy. I was terribly depressed. I went to a doctor and he gave me some tiny pills for the depression. They were a blessing. In less than a week I could have moved in with that jerk. Nothing bothered me at all. It was the happiest I had ever been in my life.

Anyway, the little 'get along' pills (Lorazepam) were a real blessing. After about a month, though, the doctor would not give me anymore.

I suggest you see a doctor and discuss your situation. If he gives you Lorazepam and you decide you don't want to use them, I will be happy to buy them from you!

Best wishes for getting over your depression.

Mr Ron,

Lorazepam is addictive. It's very similar to Valium and chemically in the same family of drugs.

It should really should only be used as a short-term treatment such as dealing with a death in the family or other traumatic event, to help get one through the initial shock emotionally, but then it needs to be weaned down because Lorazepam will numb your emotions and you'll never get healing to why you can't get along with that person that is causing you problems.

I see that doctors perscribe it for people all the time for chronic anxiety, and while it seems to help at first, once one get addicted to it, it will cause more problems. Yet the person still has the anxiety.

At least you seem to know the root of your anxiety is related to this person at work, that's half the battle. The other half is forgiving yourself and that person and being honest before God and give the conflict to God and allow Him to work through it and heal you.

Lorazepam is NOT one of those drugs that corrects chemical brain imbalances, it only sedates the central nervous system. Alcohol would do about the same thing.

Taking Lorazepam for anxiety is the same thing as putting on a blinder so one can't see the bad things, but it can't make the bad things go away, it only tricks one into thinking they are not there.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the doctors and the medications are often very helpful, and are a blessing from God.

I take medicine now for arthritis, and it is wonderful. No pain or swelling at all. That is a blessing!

Years ago I had a supervisor who was such a pain in the *** that I couldn't get along with him at all. Had a real serious hatred for this guy. I was terribly depressed. I went to a doctor and he gave me some tiny pills for the depression. They were a blessing. In less than a week I could have moved in with that jerk. Nothing bothered me at all. It was the happiest I had ever been in my life.

Anyway, the little 'get along' pills (Lorazepam) were a real blessing. After about a month, though, the doctor would not give me anymore.

I suggest you see a doctor and discuss your situation. If he gives you Lorazepam and you decide you don't want to use them, I will be happy to buy them from you!

Best wishes for getting over your depression.

Posts: 102 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly do not know how much diet plays a part in mental disorders. I know they blamed red koolaid when my daughter was said to have an attention disorder, but I had the same problem as a child and we rarely ate fast food, sweets, and did not drink any koolaid. So who knows!
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnStevenson
Community Member
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnStevenson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have not talked to any therapists or had any medication yet, as this is kind of a new developement. My wife thinks I should however. I don't want to have to rely on a drug to help me
Something you perhaps ought to consider is that, depending upon what you normally eat (sugar, fast food, etc), your diet might be playing a contributing factor and, as such, you are already under the influence of a certain amount of foreign substances so that the use of a doctor's perscribed medication might only be undoing what you are already taking in.

I don't particularly care for the idea of taking drugs, either, but I suppose these things are sometimes helpful in that very few of us eat natural foods.

Just a thought.

--------------------
John Stevenson
http://JohnStevenson.net

Posts: 12 | From: South Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Betty,

Amen to your posting and I completely agree with you on this subject of one needing help and whether or not to go to a Dr. God put Dr.'s here for a reason and as you say it's best to seek a christian Dr. God bless you!

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is of course a personal decision you must make. My sister was bi-polar and medication did help her. I have been on medication for depression several times in my life. These periods of medication, I also spent in prayer and reading the Word of God to find help. I have not been on medication in over 10 yrs for depression.
So, I can see that medication can help.
I heard many a preacher say that God gave doctors talent. If you do seek medical help, try to find a Christian doctor. A Christian doctor will be more able to help you work through your problem physically and spiritually. I do NOT think it is a sin to take medication for mental disorders. No one tells a heart patient not to take their medication. It is possible that like me God could use the medication you take to help you be able to understand His direction even more.
I myself will pray that God will guide you in what decision you make.
Please talk to me and let me know what opotions you take and how they help you. I care!
One thing they helps me with depression, is taking a walk or reaching out to others in need.
Please make sure your son takes his bi-polar medication and never allow him to stop taking it cold turkey, because that is very very dangerous.
Depression runs in families. It does mine. Please get help with yours and God bless you,
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneofgods
Community Member
Member # 5046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneofgods     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been struggling with depression a good part of my life (24 years old). I never really thought too much about it though, it was just something I went through here and there. Well, my son is currently going through evaluations for his bahavior, and we are coming to the conclusion that he is Bi-Polar or something similar.

We are now starting to think that this is most likely what I have just by comparing the symptoms. I have not talked to any therapists or had any medication yet, as this is kind of a new developement. My wife thinks I should however. I don't want to have to rely on a drug to help me (not saying it won't or that people shouldn't if they believe they should). I feel that God is trying to purify my faith through all of this. I know medicine can help people, but I don't feel like it is the way in this situation. I want to learn to lean on God, family , and friends when I am going through these mood swings, not some drug that will go away.

Anyway, just curious about some thoughts you guys might have?

Posts: 17 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement