Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » My kingdom is not of this world?

Author Topic: My kingdom is not of this world?
DaughterAnn
Advanced Member
Member # 2055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaughterAnn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that He simply meant that this world, as we are living in it now, is NOT His kingdom. There is already a king ruling this world. That is Satan. Oh, it's true that Jesus has been annointed and will one day rule, but Satan is still in control right now.

Think of the type of Saul and David. Saul was the ruler even though David had been annointed King. Likewise, Satan is still the ruler even though Jesus is the annointed one (Messiah, Christ).

When He comes back, He will then set up His Kingdom. It would be great if we found ourselves serving the right king when He returns. We should be like the mighty men of David, those outcasts, rather than in the service of the currently reigning king.

--------------------
DaughterAnn †

"Isaiah 6:
5 Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts."

Posts: 60 | From: Lubbock, Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaplain Bob
Advanced Member
Member # 5019

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaplain Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:
John 18:36
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world; if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from here.

What did Jesus mean by My kingdom is not of this world?

We Christians are in the world and in every nation whosoever believes is part of His church. What did Jesus therefore mean by saying My kingdom is not of this world?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

Not a complicated issue. Jesus said His Kingdom is not OF this world. He did not say it wouldn't be IN this world. He meant His Kingdom was not part of the world's system.

--------------------
In His Service,
Bob Allen

Posts: 209 | From: Checotah, Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1Jo 2:15 "Love not the world, neither the things [that are] in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

Jhn 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Here "the world" is used in both verses. Even-though the word "world" in both verses is the same Greek word, "kosmos", the meaning is different for both. In John 3:16 "the world" refers to the entirety of creation, including men. In 1 John 2:15 "the world" refers to the collection of systems formed by the devil.

In this verse: Eph 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

The phrase "rulers of the darkness" is the Greek term "kosmokrator" or "ruler of the kosmos". Satan is the kosmokrator.

So, effectively, Jesus is saying "My kingdom is not born out of the systems (kosmos) fabricated by the Enemy. If it were so my servants would use the tools of the enemy to accomplish their tasks."

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BORN AGAIN:

What did Jesus mean by My kingdom is not of this world?God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

Jesus doesn't use weaponry like in battle, but believes the Truth should be presented with guidance and mercy, and not with force.
JohnStevenson
Community Member
Member # 5082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnStevenson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the context in which Jesus said this, it means we do not evangelize by means of the sword -- the "Christian" Crusades were a terrible wrong.

--------------------
John Stevenson
http://JohnStevenson.net

Posts: 12 | From: South Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John 18:36
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world; if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from here.

What did Jesus mean by My kingdom is not of this world?

We Christians are in the world and in every nation whosoever believes is part of His church. What did Jesus therefore mean by saying My kingdom is not of this world?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement