Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » What do you think?

Author Topic: What do you think?
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did the LORD say to Abraham regarding Sodom?

Genesis 18
32 And he {Abraham} said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Perhaps ten {righteous} shall be found there. And He {the LORD} said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.

Surely there were more than 10 righteous people in New Orleans, saved by the blood of Jesus?

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
apprentice
Advanced Member
Member # 4944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for apprentice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If God wiped out New Orleans because of its tolerance for the gay lifestyle, America is doomed because the lifestyle is increasingly accepted in this country.

I think that the statement is irresponsible and tends to drive people away from Christ. While the gay lifestyle is certainly an abomination to Christ, it is somewhat presumptive for mere man to claim to know what God was thinking when the hurricane struck.

Many God-fearing Christians were hurt or killed by the hurricane and flooding. Were they being punished because they did not actively oppose the lifestyle? Should they have left their homes and moved to another city? What city in America does not have gays? Does your city? Are you complicit in your city's recognition of the gay lifestyle? (What is your city's anti-gay discrimination policy?)

The judgmental attitude expressed above seems to me to be a very slippery slope. God has the ability to express Himself. He doesn't need some group to do it for him.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneofgods
Community Member
Member # 5046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneofgods     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) has placed a homosexual marker at Independence Hall to honor those who celebrate and engage in sexually deviant behavior. Please voice your opposition to this dishonor to American history." - Taken from www.repentamerica.com

They display this "marker" in public places and we find it offensive, yet if somebody finds the Ten Commandments offensive, it's down in the snap of a finger. Hmmmmm. I wonder??

Posts: 17 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneofgods
Community Member
Member # 5046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oneofgods     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I read the first paragraph of the topic, I was thinking to myself "How awefull that somebody would say something like that and then publish it." But then I skipped around the posts and thought, is it wrong? Hasn't God done this before, is he not capable of doing it again. Like sombody already mentioned with Sodom and Gomorrah, he used fire from heaven. Somebody I know said, "But this was a natural disaster." Well, does God ot control the weather, didn't he use rain to wipe all of mankind except Noah. I think we should step back and not be so quick to judge a comment like the one in question. Because only God can know his intentions and purposes.
Posts: 17 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cpteach
Member # 4455

Icon 19 posted      Profile for cpteach         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We can't know God's purposes in allowing the destruction and heartache caused by Katrina, but it wouldn't be the first time God judged a city for its sin. (Sodom and Gomorrah, Babylon) As for the verse quoted about God's purposes for us being good: What we see from our point of view is limited. God may be using this in many lives to turn people to Himself, which is ultimately for their good. I hope this helps.

--------------------
cpteach

Posts: 2 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 17 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christian Group Blames Katrina on Gays

Ross von Metzke, International Correspondent

An organization of Christian fundamentalists has stepped forward with claims the destruction brought on by Hurricane Katrina is God's judgment against New Orleans for holding festivals like the gay Southern Decadence party, which was scheduled for the state's Labour Day weekend and has since been cancelled.

“Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked city,” said Repent America director Michael Marcavage on the organization's Web site. “From Girls Gone Wild to Southern Decadence, New Orleans was a city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin. May it never be the same.”

The comments from Repent America came just minutes after New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin announced that Katrina probably killed thousands of people in the 'Crescent City'.

"Let us pray for those ravaged by this disaster,” Marcavage said. “However, we must not forget that the citizens of New Orleans tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long.”

According to the PlanetOut Network, Repent America's Web site noted New Orleans' past three mayors issued official proclamations welcoming visitors to Southern Decadence. The Web site also noted the “New Orleans City Council made other proclamations recognizing the annual homosexual celebration.”

“May this act of God cause us all to think about what we tolerate in our city limits, and bring us trembling before the throne of Almighty God," Marcavage concluded, adding a biblical citation from Matthew 5:45: "[God] sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

The Rev. Dr. Cindi Love, executive director of the Metropolitan Community Churches, quoted back from the Bible: “Jeremiah 29 says, ‘I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future.’ We rest on these promises.”

http://www.repentamerica.com

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement