Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Another Baptising Question

Author Topic: Another Baptising Question
GodGiven
Advanced Member
Member # 4960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GodGiven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find out exactly what happened to Jesus when John baptised him.
That's your order.

Nice post T7 Amen

--------------------
Forgetting the troubles of the world is to walk the gospel of Jesus.

Posts: 26 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thunderz7
Advanced Member
Member # 31

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thunderz7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted by NoNameGirl
quote:
Ok, I've been thinking a lot about getting baptised. But there's an issue...I'm not a member of a church. I have very strong faith and belief in God, study the word, learn what I can...but haven't found a church where I feel "at home". So how would I go about getting baptised? Would I have to become a member of a church to do so?
If you are born again you have been baptized into the Body of Christ.
If you are born again you are a member of THE Church, and earthly church membership has nothing to do with it.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

These "commands" for baptism are about baptism in the NAME, H2O is not mentioned in these scriptures.
Many always want to apply H2O to baptism when in fact H2O is seldom the element meant by scripture.

Exodus 20:24 An altar of earth thou shalt make unto me, and shalt sacrifice thereon thy burnt offerings, and thy peace offerings, thy sheep, and thine oxen: in all places where I record my name I will come unto thee, and I will bless thee.
Deuteronomy 12:5 But unto the place which the LORD your God shall choose out of all your tribes to put his name there, even unto his habitation shall ye seek, and thither thou shalt come:
1 Kings 14:21 And Rehoboam the son of Solomon reigned in Judah. Rehoboam was forty and one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city which the LORD did choose out of all the tribes of Israel, to put his name there. And his mother’s name was Naamah an Ammonitess.
2 Chronicles 12:13 So king Rehoboam strengthened himself in Jerusalem, and reigned: for Rehoboam was one and forty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city which the LORD had chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, to put his name there. And his mother’s name was Naamah an Ammonitess.
1 Kings 8:29 That thine eyes may be open toward this house night and day, even toward the place of which thou hast said, My name shall be there: that thou mayest hearken unto the prayer which thy servant shall make toward this place.

These are but a few of the Old Testament scriptures where GOD speaks of a place for HIS NAME.
The New Testament tells us to baptize in "the NAME".

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

We are the temple/tabernacle where the NAME dwells.

T7

Posts: 1113 | From: Northeast Alabama | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodGiven
Advanced Member
Member # 4960

Icon 15 posted      Profile for GodGiven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your right there is another step when your there

--------------------

Posts: 26 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodGiven
Advanced Member
Member # 4960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GodGiven   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to tell you like I've told everyone else. You accepted Thee King and he loves you. Remember in the beginning you are created in his image. The trinity has 3, whats your 3 images? How much are you alike, build that personal relationship.
One of the hardest things for me in my journey was learning the love of God. God is Love and how much could he love me. So I picked one person and decided that I was going to love them in the same way God loves me lololol wow that was hard and I found out that I couldn't contain it. Because I reached a point in the personal relationship with God where I was trying to learn how alike we were that when I went to love another person I broke down and I don't know how he does it. I'm still learning that one.
But anywho, build your relationship, walk, talk when you get up in the morning set your feet on the floor and their he stands. Look in the mirror and there he is. Think of this if you accept him into your temple, your heart and your spirit comes alive then God's inside your temple right. You got it. He gave us all the power in Heaven and everything Jesus did on earth as the perfect example we can do.
Try this, your a smaller version of God and you contain all that power. Now what are thinking? Walk on water, Peter did, mortal man. No different from you.

The steps to take are listed clearly, Matthew, Luke, Mark, John I love Acts lololol but look at Paul. Look how hard God fought for Paul and Paul went around killing christians but I love how Paul was saved and how he turned and how he stood out in a crowd, life or death he just wanted to spread the word.
A good movie is Jesus of Nazareth for steps. The next I'd recommend is Paul the Apostle. And remember something else the baptism, old is washed away and the new on so what if I told you it was symbolic of Eph. ch. 4 thru 6
Put away the childish things,sin, and move on. The bible says we've all fallen short of the glory of God so don't look at your neighbor and concern yourself with there knowledge.
Where are you at because I'm flooding?
God=Dad Jesus=Bro Can you get the depth of that? Yes he's your King, yes there has to be respect there but he's also loving you with the love of a Father. That entitles you to all the blessings in Heaven, anything. Don't limit his ability because your mind won't fathom it.
Baptism when God said this is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased. What makes you think he wouldn't say the same of you?
k alot of food maybe too much.

--------------------

NoNameGirl
Community Member
Member # 4962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoNameGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GodGiven, I read the chapters you posted. Got myself a little confused and had to read some a second, third, fourth time. lol [Roll Eyes]

I'm not distracted now, but I have gotten distracted in the past from pursuing this. Does it make sense that I just feel there's another step I should be taking to confirm and further my relationship with God? It's as if I'm being stunted by not moving closer to Him. I've wanted to do this for some time now, but my lack of a 'home church' has kinda held me back and I didn't know how to go about it without one.

Posts: 16 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NoNameGirl,

I'll be praying for you as you search for a church where you'll feel at home. I'll be praying for the Lord to lead you to just the right church for you and I know He will. Then you can be baptized. God bless you very much!

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodGiven
Advanced Member
Member # 4960

i have a few questions
why are you thinking this, what are your motives and why haven't you ever done this?
how long have you been saved?
i want you to keep in mind yes Jesus was baptised and yes you should but also remember Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss, make sure your heart, spirit are in it totally. The water, washes away the old and put on the new. Jesus had an order for life and he basically went through all the steps. He said I am the perfect example. and because he said that this is what I want you to do.
I'll give you all of the scriptures but its your job to look them up if you don't energy to look them up then you need to find the energy to do so. because there is an order in this process, an order that Jesus followed he had to be baptised so listen, "so do you."
Matthew chapters, 3 and 17
Mark chapter 9
Luke chapter 9
2 Peter chapter 1

Follow the perfect example the footsteps of Jesus but understand the order. Jesus picked the order make sure your in that position and ready for that.
Any questions I'm here and I pray you find way because it's there you just might be distracted, that's what I'm getting. Your getting on course and you need to make sure this is your next step.

--------------------

Gramajo320
Advanced Member
Member # 4667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gramajo320   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't a member of the small church I attended in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho when I lived in Idaho. However I was baptized full immersion in Lake Coeur d'Alene along with three others on Memorial Day of that year.

--------------------
Gramajo320

Posts: 2385 | From: WA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When and where I got baptised I wasn't a member. It was my friend's churhc and a pretty big one. They don't necessarily book baptismms in advance, and I think they do them every week I knew before I went I would be baptised.

It may depend on the faith too. I oculd be wrong, but I think LUtherans have to be comfirmed into their faith. Orthodox may be a bit strict as well.

I'm very happy and proud of you for your deicision to consider baptism for sure

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly do not know. You could call and ask Preachers in your area. Have you visited Calvary Chapel? Alot of people who come here like the Church very much.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoNameGirl
Community Member
Member # 4962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoNameGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I've been thinking a lot about getting baptised. But there's an issue...I'm not a member of a church. I have very strong faith and belief in God, study the word, learn what I can...but haven't found a church where I feel "at home". So how would I go about getting baptised? Would I have to become a member of a church to do so?
Posts: 16 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement