Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Lessons in the Flesh

Author Topic: Lessons in the Flesh
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, redkermit, I don't wear or use such symbols either
[Big Grin]

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HisGrace, that was rolling on the floor funny! [roll on floor]

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have heard variations of that one. Funny, but sad at the same time. Many times I see some crazy stuff on the highways and there will be a "Jesus fish" on the back of the car.

Lately, in these types of situations, and others when I'm feeling tempted, a simple chorus comes to mind that a campmeeting preacher taught us a few years ago. It simply says:

Victory is mine
Victory is mine
Victory today is mine
I told Satan, get thee behind
Victory today is mine

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[pound] - redkermit.

When I opened this thread I was sure it would ring some bells with vehicle drivers. [Big Grin]

Your post reminds of the joke, maybe you have heard it, about the woman who was pulled over by a cop and said. "Is there a problem officer;I don't think I was speeding."

"Oh no," he said,"I was following you for two miles and first of all, you violently honked your horn at a man in front of you who didn't pull away from the first green light fast enough, then you gave the finger to a woman who pulled in front of you too quickly, and with those three Jesus bumper stickers on the back of your car, I was beginning to think I was following a stolen vehicle.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am often convicted of my flesh while on the roadway. There's not much in life that can get me riled up like someone cutting me off, or waiting until the last second to merge over from a lane that is ending. I'm glad I don't have any Christian bumper stickers on my car! (And it is exactly for these reasons that I don't)

-

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another ridiculous example of how immature flesh can overrule.

I live in the urban part of the city so of course
the residential areas are quite densely populated. Not too far from where I live there is a long laneway with houses dotted along this tiny road. About fives ago a new house was built on an empty lot in this laneway.

The house beside it faces onto a street crossing through this laneway with the back of the property facing the side of the new house. Anyway Resident A decided that this new dwelling wasn't welcome in the community so they hung a large black sheet with an 'unwelcome' sign so that the new neighbour could feel the 'bitter intrusion' felt by Resident A.

The sign stayed up for a long time, and the sheet hung there for a number of years. I haven't walked by this year yet - I don't know if it is still there.

Resident B has just as much right in the community as Resident A, so what is the point of this immature display of anger?

I often thought I would like Res.A would come out of their home so I could see what such a nutcase looked like.

Really - grow up.
All I can say is
Googoo,gaga  -

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
quote:
Originally posted by hardcore:
Maybe my flesh shouldn't have been embarrassed since God "blessed" me with the short line. Ha!

I guess he blessed you for not 'being in the flesh' [Smile]

How many times have you looked at other lines and figure if you move to that cash, you will get served quicker, only to find out that if you move, something happens to delay the new line you have just joined. [mad2] Is God testing us?

Oooh. Good point. That's happened to me before too.
Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hardcore:
Maybe my flesh shouldn't have been embarrassed since God "blessed" me with the short line. Ha!

I guess he blessed you for not 'being in the flesh' [Smile]

How many times have you looked at other lines and figure if you move to that cash, you will get served quicker, only to find out that if you move, something happens to delay the new line you have just joined. [mad2] Is God testing us?

hardcore
Advanced Member
Member # 4492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardcore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HisGrace:
As long as we live in this old world and in these human bodies, we are going to have war with the flesh.

This morning I went to my local supermarket to pick up a few things. I only had about five items so I went to the cash that had the sign "8 Items or Less." When I got at the cash there was a woman ahead of me with at least 20 items.

After she piled all of these items onto the counter/belt I kind of firmly put the little divider thing (maybe a little bit more firmly than I should) between her groceries and mine, and out of the corner of my eye I saw her looking at me.

After that I felt guilty, but even though I tried not to show it, all the time her items were going through the cash I was steaming and churning inside. The cashier discreetly told her that she had far too many itmes, and the lady made no secret of the fact that she knew she had done wrong.

It was no big deal. If management didn't rectify the situation, what business was it of mine. I believe pride had taken over because I felt as this woman had gotten away with "putting one over" on us. I really wasn't justified for letting anger control my flesh in this instance.

This reminds me ....

I was at Wal-Mart one day and in the normal "long" line. The "fast" lane was empty, and the cashier told me to come over even though I had a full cart.

Of course no sooner had I done this, then a couple of people got behind me with their few items. I was so embarrassed. I'm sure they were thinking the same of me that you were thinking this morning!

Posts: 627 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HisGrace
unregistered

Icon 7 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as we live in this old world and in these human bodies, we are going to have war with the flesh.

This morning I went to my local supermarket to pick up a few things. I only had about five items so I went to the cash that had the sign "8 Items or Less." When I got at the cash there was a woman ahead of me with at least 20 items.

After she piled all of these items onto the counter/belt I kind of firmly put the little divider thing (maybe a little bit more firmly than I should) between her groceries and mine, and out of the corner of my eye I saw her looking at me.

After that I felt guilty, but even though I tried not to show it, all the time her items were going through the cash I was steaming and churning inside. The cashier discreetly told her that she had far too many itmes, and the lady made no secret of the fact that she knew she had done wrong.

It was no big deal. If management didn't rectify the situation, what business was it of mine. I believe pride had taken over because I felt as this woman had gotten away with "putting one over" on us. I really wasn't justified for letting anger control my flesh in this instance.

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement