Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » But what of this confession?

Author Topic: But what of this confession?
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great question, Aaron. and I'm glad to see a post from you, either I haven't run into others or you haven't been posting much lately. I absolutely agree and love the way you worded this comment: "I fear that some truth of scriptures may be lost in the protest...sort of a "baby-with-the-bathwater" consequence." I would say it applies to a far wider segment of Christianity than just Catholicism, how about any doctrinal group we happen to disagree with?

Anyway, here's what my spirit tells me about the subject: James 5:16 "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed."

The confession was of faults (KJV) which was to confess the things one had done which caused one "to fall beside or near something, a lapse or deviation from truth and uprightness, a sin, misdeed". This passage assures us if we do this we shall be healed, ie to cured, made whole, freed from errors and sins, and surprisingly, the definition also includes "to bring about one's salvation". So then, the confession of faults to others would seem to be very important.

The instance that redkermit related seems a bit extreme, but I wonder if that is because we, as Americans, think our business is our business, and we should keep it to ourselves? Maybe if more unwed mothers had to expose themselves, there would be fewer of them.

I have more to say on that subject, not just about unwed mothers, but sin in general being so easily tolerated in America, but like you I have no desire to derail a thread.

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a great topic & hope to hear more from others. It sure made me think about it more when it was brought up in a different thread.

My cousin became pregnant out of wedlock & had moved back home. Although I don't remember her age, but I'm sure she was in her early 20's. Her father made her confess to the whole church (as if it wasn't obvious) and ask for forgiveness. I was not in agreement with this at all, not that anyone cared about my opinion in the matter. [Smile]

But, many would probably say that is the biblical thing to do. I don't know...I've just always believed I confess my sins to God. If I was confessing something to someone else, it would be confessing to someone I've wronged.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not quite sure where it is but I could swear the bible says to come to God yourself with your troubles and forgiveness.

But, I personally feel there isn't enough proof FOR it for us to need confession, if that makes sense. I see nothing wrong with going to a priest for guidance and spiritual direction, but God is the priest and sehpard and so is Jesus. If we eat the feed from God does it make sense to go to anyone else with our fur we shed (probably sounds corny but think of it as shedding sin)?

to confess is following the ways of man over God in my opinion.

I think a lot stemmed from indulgences and feudal systems and clergy in the mideval days too.

but, Cahtolics aren't the only ones with confessions. I think Anglicans do it too. I'm not sure if Jewish confess to rabbis either just wondering myself.

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our preacher spoke on this recently. There is a time for confessing to someone else. This confession does not bring about salvation but aids in recovery. If for instance I had a drinking problem, not only would I be wise to go to AA but to find a person in my home church that I trust, to be a prayer partner with me. A person who is willing to keep me in check by checking up on me and encouraging me, can help me from falling back into sin. This could be used with other things like gossip. You could ask your friend to remind you when you have stepped into that sin, so you can stop.
But the ultimate confession must be to Jesus.
Confessing to Him is the only true salvation of sins. The problem I have seen with talking to Catholics is that some not all of course feel that once that confess that can do the same sin again and again until next week when they confess. You must confess and turn from your sin.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not want to derail another thread so I started a new one.

So much is leveled against in the Catholic tradition I fear that some truth of scriptures may be lost in the protest...sort of a "baby-with-the-bathwater" consequence.

For instance, it has been said, rightfully so, "there is one mediator between God and man: Christ". This truth has been used to expose fault in the confessional practices of Catholics (that of a man to a priest). The retort being: "I confess to no one. I can go directly to God." Sure. But then how does one deal with the following verse:

James 5:16 "Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed."

Is this a special confession? Is there some secret meaning to the word "confess"?; "trespasses"? What?

Thoughts? Discussion?

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement