Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Constantine

Author Topic: Constantine
Philip James
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Soft Toch,

quote:
It is not to be understood that each of these groups was entirely free from error or entirely embraced the truth. Through these groups can be traced the people called Baptists. In these groups is to be found the true church -- not in Catholicism.

Montanist ... Paulician ... Novationist ... Paterines ... Donatist ... Albigenses ... Anabaptists ... these were some of the names used to identify those who refused to identify with Rome.”

Are you sure you want to be identified with these groups? If you do please pick one and let us examine what they taught....

And especially lets examine them in the light of scripture and the writings of men like Ignatius of Antioch, Justin Martyr, and Iraeneus of Lyons. (all of whose writings give support to Catholic/Orthodox doctrine)

Peace and Love!
PJ

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting holy water becaues I think those things are neat. I want earth from Jeruselam etc just to have it cause I find it ery neat. I'm thinking of collecting different jewlery through the years. I'm not catholic but ordered a rosary of real rose petals form jeruselam yesterday. How Rosaries are made and lok are beautiful. I bout one last summer before I became Chrsitian (aurora borealis colored crystals) it was so pretty.

Yesterday I did the thing iwth holy water on my forehead and sign of the cross. I dont necessarily feel it is the best way but I finally went in this amazin gchurch http://wwwshrinechruch.com and did that and also lit a candle (my guy who was raised catholic but isnt too into it now and is one hundred percent italian) helped me with it etc. But, I donated 10x as much for the donation box for the poor as the one to light a candle for prayer, cause the poor need it more than the other.

I've seen holywater in a bottle that is like virgin mary with a blue crown for a cap etc. The Lourdes prayer cards are neat too.

I think its primarily a cahtolic thing 9not sure) but I have a friend who's catholic and my love's family is, so even if I dont agree iwth most of it, I still think I should learn it.

I have a cross pendant where the back has 2 viles: one of holy earth from jeruselam and one of holy water from lourdes. plus, if its relaly dim it glow sin the dark! (I didnt know that til after I got it) and its relaly cool. Not sayin I'm a christian for nice jewelery ust I find some of the stuff amazing.

I like collecting things. If I get enough money down the road, I'd love to have a beautiful Menorah maybe even actually from Isreal.

I dont relaly get the difference between annointing oil or holy oil and holy water though.

I was invited by my love's parents to go to mass with them sunday. So I think I'll do that I think I'll try goin back to my old church for 3/4 of the time. Though I'm not cahtolic it is a big part of his family's faith and I think its important to learn and share those things.

If I had the money or my own place I'd probably have one or two water fonts cause they're beautiufl. since I was very young I've been very into art and culture.

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bygrace
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeed..Why?

You do not "need" this water to gain anything more grand than salvation itself. Just keep focusing on reading the word daily, try not to study too many things in one day, as it is all very confusing when done in this manner.
You are very eager to learn and that is great! just take smaller steps so that satan doesn't try to confuse you to the point of frustration. [1zhelp]
Keep Digging in the word!!! [Bible] [clap2]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MySavingGrace:
^^^^ I'mthinking of getting holy water from jordan. one set has sand from jeruselam and earth and oil etc.

Why?

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELPFUL HINTS FOR EFFECTIVE BIBLE STUDY
=======================================

1) BEGIN WITH FAITH THAT WORD OF GOD IS AS HOLY AS THE TRINITY AND PRAY before you start, consecrate your time to the Holy Spirit who is God! (Hebrews 11:11:1-3; and 11:6)(2TIMOTHY 3:16; PSALMS 119: 11,89,105)

2)STUDY WITH AN OPEN MIND:Try to find what the Bible actually teaches instead of trying to make it prove what you perceive it should say. Remember, the Gospel is God's power to save and not our opinions (Romans 1:16)

3)STUDY THE BIBLE SYSTEMATICALLY: A student in school could not learn Chemistry,Math or Science if he skipped around haphazardly from one subject to another. The same principle holds true in Bible Study.

4)STUDY THE BIBLE DAILY: In Acts 17:11 the Bible says of the people of Berea, "These were more noble han those in Thessalonic, in that they received the word with all readiness ofmind and searched the scriptures daily, whether those thins were so." If these Bereans were encouraged to check the teachngs of the apostles, how careful should we be today.

5) REALIZE "TRUTH" EXISTS: We sometimes hear the statement that "you can prove anything by the Bible." Such a remark borders on complete blasphemy of God's Word. If this is true then the Bible is full of contradictions and falsehoods teaching opposite doctrines on every page.THE WORD OF GOD IS OUR STANDARD BY WHICH WE ARE JUDGED BY.IT WAS SETTLED LONG AGO IN HEAVEN BEFORE WE WERE EVER BORN. (Psalms 119:89)

6) STUDY WIDELY: If we could learn everything GOD wants us to know in one single verse there would be no purpose for the rest of the scriptures. In studying a certain scripture we should always consider the context (verses surrounding the verse under consideration) as well as to whom, when and under what conditions the scripture was written.

7) APPLY ITS TEACHINGS PERSONALLY: One of the greatest Bible tragedies was the Rich Young Ruler of Matthew 19 who inquired of the Lord what he must do to inherit eternal life. Upon receiving an answer the Bible says that "he went away sorrowful..."Bible knowledge is wonderful, but is of little real value unless it is actively put to use.

8) Construct a daily Journal of what you read what speaks to your heart and incoporate your prayer time with it. Do this everyday of your life end and in the end when you reminisce about those good old days you would see Great Is Thy Faithfullness O Lord.

May the Lord Bless You and keep you as you live your life for Him in the fullness of His Word-Amen

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^ I'mthinking of getting holy water from jordan. one set has sand from jeruselam and earth and oil etc.

--------------------

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Constatine conversion came about with the following: When he looked up into the sky he saw a cross, in doing so-"He said he became a christian". However he never confessed true belief that Jesus was God's Son like Romans 10:9-10 says we should. His salvation was based on his version of the cross and his manipulation of it for his benefit. To Go Forth and Conquer all who comes in his way.

Saint is a latin word which means set apart unto holiness. The words we see today in Italian, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Ladino, and other dialects of latin are in these forms:

Saint= english,french
San(to or ta)= spanish,italian,rumania
Sao= portguese, galiciano

We tranlate the word holy to Santo or Saint or Sao

In protestant belief all christians are saints because they believe that the blood of Jesus Christ washed their sins away. The word saint and blood in latin have similiar roots (saint= holy)
(sanhre=blood)

In catholicism in order to become a saint, the pope must approve it.

In judisim saint hood does happened but it comes in the after life especially that of the prophets. Not many jewish people know this exist or have exist.

The reason why they relate in root is because one can not become a saint without being baptized in the death of Jesus (which he bleeds SANHRIZA) Saints are a product of blood washing sanhriza holy blood.

We as believers must obey Romans 12:1-2 to know that full holiness must be a habit of life.

Romans 12:1-2 is called " the holiness command for our body"

I am doing a paper for my degree called "Meet Him in the Jordan". It is about baptism.

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

unless my old church has changed, i'm not worried.

We had the bible and hymns for our books. we had a special prayr on the program as well as calendar of the week or month with thing sfor youth grou, other things, bible study, etc. They taught Jesus as our savior and the son of God. They didnt do any chants or anyting (never been to a cahtolic mass but they seem freaky.)

define what "new age" practices are being used? only thing i can think of (and probalby wrong on new age definition) is that the children there watched Veggie Tales in their nursery and the youngest youth group.

If I go once or twice and am not feleing it, I'm gorna try a baptist or lutheran church. my proof for why baptist or luteran is the info on constantine and paganism in the rcc. Theywere a couple of the churches that refused to convert to Catholocism and stick o their ways that survived.

thanks for the tip though:)

--------------------

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 4 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Highly recommend the Independent, Fundamental Baptist Chruch if you want to make sure you're not taught twisted scriptures. Many of todays churches have LEFT the strickly Biblical Teachings and have incorporated New Age (Pagan practices) into their worship services and their teachings. And they are using many books that claim to be 'christian' but are again twisted scriptures and false teaching. There are not many REAL Churches anymore where you can find THE Truth. Be Careful! Many churches are teaching "Another Jesus" that isn't the Jesus of the Bible. This is especially important since you are Not familiar with The Bible. It's Easy to be deceived. Go where you'll have the Best Chance of hearing the TRUE Word of God. Please!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

^^^^ i may have asked this before and if so I apologize do Catholics have a different scripture or maybe stuff they add with the bible? and maybe other hymn books and psalms were gregoriant chants gothic or satanic or pagan or were they cahtolic or just plain old old school celtic? this would help me a lot in understanding things.

im probably gorna read the torah. ive read the old testiment from genesis to just past exodus. but The torah is supposedly the closest to actual hebrew scriptures.

I got a cd case with audio cds of the bible (but new international. though i have been reading that, ive heard king james is cloest you can get to real scripture) by cahpter by book by book of the whole thing! its a great find

I'm probably also goin back to chruch this or next sunday, possiby at the chruch I went to before I turned form God, became atheist, then the one that starts with a p wher eu just dont know whats out there. So, I'm definatly lookin to start my faith getting stronger soon and gettin to know the bible more etc. My first step is accepting Jesus and God and Jesus as my saviour I did that and was baptized just under a year ago. I have had sporatic moments of reading the bible a lot then sometimes not much at all. but i do have a strong faith and belief in God and want to learn more on Jesus and everyhting else. At times I slack off (and though I shouldnt use it as an excuse, i hae some heavy classes at college this summer.)

But, I feel (and maybe God's tellin me) to go back to chruch, particularly my former one i was in. They were a "chruch of god" and nodenominational. from what ive heard id prefer either batpists or lutheran or a nondenominational. I feel those (at least to me) are best places. Again, just my opinion.

--------------------

Laurye
Community Member
Member # 4733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am greatly enjoying my reading of the Bible. I was raised a Catholic, and was actually discouraged many times (by many people) from reading the Bible as a child and teen. Since my return to Christianity, my fiance's mother gave me a Bible of my own. Since I started reading it, I have been pondering why a religion would discourage it's followers from reading such an incredible book, especially since it's so critical to understanding one's faith.
Posts: 16 | From: Chicago, IL. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Laurye [Smile] I think you are on the right track indeed. You will so enjoy reading through the New Testament I believe, especially with your recent experience in Genesis, learning about humanity's fall.

I myself tackled Proverbs after I finished the New Testament, then went back and read and re-read most of the New Testament again backwards from Revelations to Acts...and am re-reading the New Testament in order again more deeply now. My first time through in its entirety, I gobbbled it up so fast - like a baby taking mother's milk. Now I have some teeth and am chewing on it. At night I am studying Daniel and am also just beginning a study of women in the Bible, which will take me to many differnt books.

The Bible is so rich and the Holy Spirit so glorious in His unfolding and revealing of its mysteries to us that we can indeed spend a lifetime immersed in the Word. There is no right or wrong way to do it in my opinion, as long as there is time spent in the word and study is entered into prayerfully, seeking the Lord's wisdom, knowledge, and discernment.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurye
Community Member
Member # 4733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much. I am almost finished with Genesis, so I will follow your's and Laurie's advice.
Posts: 16 | From: Chicago, IL. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laurye:
Just wondering, as I am reading the bible for the first time. Are you suggesting that it is better for one to read the New Testament first, and then the Old Testament?

Generally, I would agree that to be the case, but as I just posted in another thread, I have come to believe that it is vitally important to read Genesis first (at least chs. 1-11), then perhaps skip to the New Testament. Unless you already have the base knowledge of creation and the Fall.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurye
Community Member
Member # 4733

quote:
Originally posted by LaurieFL:
There is much to be learned from reading the New Testament in order all the way through and then going back and doing the same with the Old Testament.

Just wondering, as I am reading the bible for the first time. Are you suggesting that it is better for one to read the New Testament first, and then the Old Testament?
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LaurieFL:
I highly suggest reading *only* your Bible right now, at least until you get completely through the New Testament...in order. There is much to be learned from reading the New Testament in order all the way through and then going back and doing the same with the Old Testament.

MySavingGrace, I absolutely agree with Lauries advice. This should be your First priority! Get to know God's Word (The Bible) First. That's a Huge part of how we get to KNOW Him. Also, talk to Him Daily about everything. It's Vital to have a personal relationship with HIM.

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaurieFL
Advanced Member
Member # 3794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaurieFL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My SavingGrace, you mentioned in another thread that you have not made much headway into your reading of the Bible. I really see you as being way too distracted by all of this reading about religious history and whatnot and it seems to be dangerously close to leading you into heresy sometimes and outright confusion most of the time.

I highly suggest reading *only* your Bible right now, at least until you get completely through the New Testament...in order. There is much to be learned from reading the New Testament in order all the way through and then going back and doing the same with the Old Testament.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

thank you for info softtouch.

I dont know what you mean by the sun disk with a cup, what is it called or what is the cup called? this way i can look up pictuers online. I think there's lots of gold too in cups etc And gold was the color used for sun gods right? like atom re in egypt etc?

I also wonder about the color red worn by cardinals, I could be wrong but I'm thinking of it for blood magic. I've also wondered if the blood in communion is not the blood of christ but blood magic or even pro-egyptians who died during passover 9fromt he blood on the doors.) Or, isntead of the blood of Chrsit, maybe meaning the blood of some pagan God or deity etc.

thanks for ino, you and Laurye have definately made it claer to me there i smuch corruption and paganism in the Cahtolic practice and doctrine. I have nothing against he pope or preits or nuns or bleivers (my love's family is cahtolic and i have a firend who is a great person who is cahtolic.)

I'm also trying to learn more about "gothic" chruhces. I wonder if many pagan gothic churches became chrsitian/cahtolic 9maybe thorugh Constantine and all of this.)

Was the "Holy Roman Empire" during constantines reighn or after?

My relgion professor told me about a novel "from agaustus to constantine" i'm thinking of checking it out. He warned me its very lengthy and scholary (he wasnt insulting me just meaning hard stuff, and with two classes etc I can get his piont.0

thanks very much for the info both of you :0

I'm wondering if Constantine could of been the antichrist or false prophet. I mean I feel there are many before th real true big bad one. Was there a pope during the time of Constantine? If he supported it or whatehave you, maybe Cosntantine was the antichrsit and he was the false prophet. or if he had someone with him, it would suport this.

Is the cross he put there the same one as the REd Cross used in the crusades by England? I'm also thiking of the one in Kingdom of Heaven etc.

i went on the link for "smokescreens" under blue prints for Americans. I have a couple friends who belong 9or maybe its one but they are engaged0 who belong to a Knights of Columbus. I wonder and have suspicions about aht organization as well. there as another secret society like the skull and bones (I think used word knights) back in the day with Roman Catholicism too. Seem there's probably lots of secret societies and orders in it too I'm sure (some proably very satanic as well.) I think they were called "knights templar"

--------------------

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Saint is Everyone who Truly Belongs to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior and has given their life completely to HIM. No Human on Earth can declare who is or isn’t a Saint. The Bible calls Jesus’ followers “Saints”

The Real Constantine – Covered Up History:

“The role of Constantine in the history and development of Christianity has been falsified, misrepresented, and misunderstood. The false eighth-century "Donation of Constantine," has served to confuse matters even further in the eyes subsequent writers. Nevertheless, Constantine is often credited with the decisive victory of the ‘adherents of the message’ —and not without justification.

According to later Church tradition Constantine had inherited from his father a sympathetic predisposition toward Christianity. In fact, this predisposition seems to have been primarily a matter of political expediency, for Christians by then were numerous and Constantine needed all the help he could get against Maxentius, his rival for the imperial throne. In AD. 312 Maxentius was routed at the Battle of Milvian Bridge, thus leaving Constantine’s claim unchallenged. Immediately before this crucial battle Constantine is said to have had a vision—later reinforced by a prophetic dream—of a luminescent cross hanging in the sky. A sentence was supposedly inscribed across it—"In Hoc Signo Vinces" ("By this sign you will conquer ).

Conventional wisdom recalls that Constantine ordered the shields of his troops to be emblazoned with the Christian monogram—the Greek letters Chi Rho, the first two letters of the word "Christos." As a result Constantine’s victory over Maxentius at Milvian Bridge came to represent a miraculous triumph of Christianity over paganism. This, then, is the popular Church tradition on the basis of which Constantine is often thought to have ‘converted’ the Roman empire to Christianity.

In actual fact, however, Constantine did no such thing. But in order to decide precisely what he did do, we must examine the evidence more closely. In the first place Constantine’s "conversion" does not seem to have been Christian at all but absolutely pagan. He appears to have had some sort of vision in the precincts of a pagan temple to Apollo, either in the Vosges or near Autun. According to a witness accompanying Constantine’s army at the time, the vision was of the sun god—the deity worshiped by certain cults under the name of "Sol Invictus," "the Invincible Sun." There is evidence that Constantine, just before his vision, had been initiated into a Sol Invictus cult. (Rome at this time worshipped the False sun-god “Mithras” – this is why you’ll see the “Jesus Cookie (wafer)” praded around by the Catholic Priests often times in the middle of a holder that looks like a sun)

-

In any case the Roman Senate, after the Battle of Milvian Bridge, erected a triumphal arch in the Coliseum. According to the inscription on this arch Constantine’s victory was won "through the prompting of the Deity." But the deity in question was not Jesus. It was Sol Invictus, the pagan sun god.

Contrary to tradition, Constantine did not make Christianity the official state religion of Rome. The state religion of Rome under Constantine was, in fact, pagan sun worship; and Constantine, all his life, acted as its chief priest. Indeed, his reign was called a "sun emperor-ship," and Sol Invictus appeared everywhere—including on the imperial banners and the coinage of the realm.

The image of Constantine as a fervent convert to Christianity is clearly wrong. He himself was not even baptized until 337—when he lay on his deathbed and was apparently too weakened or too apathetic to protest. Nor can he be credited with the Chi Rho monogram. An inscription bearing this monogram was found on a tomb at Pompeii dating from two and a half centuries before.

The cult of Sol Invictus was Syrian in origin and imposed by Roman emperors on their subjects a century before Constantine. Although it contained elements of Baal and Astarte worship, it was essentially monotheistic. In effect, it pronounced the sun god as the sum of all attributes of all other gods and thus potential rivals. Moreover, it conveniently harmonized with the cult of Mithras—which was also prevalent in Rome and the empire at the time and which also involved solar worship.”

“Constantine ruled as Emperor of the Roman Empire from 306 to 337A.D. and his reign was to mark one of the great turning points in church history.

During a battle in 312 A.D. Emperor Constantine believed he had a vision of a flaming cross and above it the words, "By this sign thou shalt conquer."

He decided to fight under the banner of Christ and Christianity came into favor in the Roman Government.

In 313 A.D. Constantine gave a call for all the churches to come together and pronounced himself as the head of the churches.

Many, but not all, of the churches came. The true churches would have no part in this error.

This hierarchy or body of church rulers, that Constantine formed was the definite beginning of the Roman Catholic Church. Many of the errors of Catholicism had already had their beginning but now they were organized into a definite system.

Constantine made "Christianity" the "State Religion." Up until this point the persecution of the Christians had been done either by Judaism or Paganism. Now came a change. Christians (in name) began using the law to compel all Christians to join the organization. The true churches that refused were persecuted.
The division was now complete. The true churches refused to line up with the errors of the "state church." The church of Constantine became what we know as Roman Catholicism. Baptists were never part of Roman Catholicism. They remained true to the Scriptures and rejected the error.

After the organization of the churches into a hierarchy and their acceptance as a "State Religion" the true, loyal churches that rejected this error were identified by various names.
It is not to be understood that each of these groups was entirely free from error or entirely embraced the truth. Through these groups can be traced the people called Baptists. In these groups is to be found the true church -- not in Catholicism.

Montanist ... Paulician ... Novationist ... Paterines ... Donatist ... Albigenses ... Anabaptists ... these were some of the names used to identify those who refused to identify with Rome.”

Also check out these online book resources:

Smokescreens
http://www.chick.com/reading/books/153/153cont.asp

Understanding Roman Catholicism

http://www.chick.com/reading/books/160/160cont.asp

(the above quotes were taken from a couple different sources, I did not keep the URL’s – sorry)

--------------------

Laurye
Community Member
Member # 4733

A saint is not an angel, they were once people who at some point in their life were able to heal the sick, or have visions, etc. They claim they were able to do this because God, Jesus, or Mary gave them the power to do it.
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

^^^^ what exactly is a saint then? are they different from angles?

I know lots of people either dont know or try to hide that there is dark stuff in that religon.

--------------------

Laurye
Community Member
Member # 4733

I heard he became christian only after having a dream. I think the dream was along the lines of: if he became christian and painted the sign of the holy spirit on his army's sheilds, his army would win a battle. I warn you, this is me trying to remember what I learned in history class several years ago, so I might be remembering wrong. I do have a history book laying around here somewhere, I think. If I can find it, I'll look it up more.
As for Catholics, I was raised one, and yes many of their traditions are based on pagan beliefs and traditions (though most will deny it). Many of the earliest saints are old pagan gods and goddesses. The reason all this was done was to make it more appealing to the pagans in the hopes of them becoming Christians. This is one of many problems I have with the Catholic Church.

MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

I'd like to get more info and clarification on what I think about him and what he did.

Supposeldy, he helped spread Chrsitianity. But, I've heard he wasn't relaly chrsitian and was only baptized against his will right before he died. I heard he put pagan things into Chrsitianity. I know certian tradtions and art etc used to be pagan (like the Christmas tree.) And, maybe still today some of the Catholic belief and tradtions, rituals, customs have paganism in it and people don't even know it.

Anyone else got more info and clarification on what I htnk I know?

I know he founded constantinople which became Istanbul

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement