Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » I have a question

Author Topic: I have a question
peh
Advanced Member
Member # 4446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good response, Mr Ron

quote:
I didn't join [dance]

[clap2] [dance] [clap2] [dance] [clap2] [dance] [clap2]

(Don't you hate it when someone gets so happy over something you said and you're not exactly sure why?)

--------------------
St. Peh
I don't know everything but I know the One Who does.

Posts: 255 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MySavingGrace
Advanced Member
Member # 4697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MySavingGrace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i definately agre not to support that pastor and that chruch. if a chruch is struggeling to pay for electircity and plubmbing and heat then thats one thing. But to build an addition is another. I can see suggesting people pay more money to help, epseically if they ahve more money. But, to tells people to pay extra and a big amount is very wrong. a chruuch should be about glorifying god and jesus and the gospel, not glorifying itself.

I mean, it even says in the bible not to build your treasures on earth but in heaven (dont know exact words but you can see my point.) And, to me, it seems that this is the reverse of that passage.

--------------------
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/forum
Support the mother who lost her son protest the war
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/

here are my comments, I am UHaventDoneNothin
http://crawfordpeace.nfshost.com/node/121

Posts: 426 | From: United States | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by helpforhomeschoolers:
Yes Amen indeed! Meet at the park and use the money to take care of the needs of the people!

Amen Linda! Meet at the park or find a Church that is not trying to build themself a great place. The Church is the people not the building, and when the Church (the people) are struggling, it should take care of them first. Give the money for the mega church to the widows that they are trying to fleece.

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chris777
Community Member
Member # 4638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chris777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did Jesus preach the most?

and what "temples " belong to God.

those built by the hands of men, or those built by the hand of God?

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Ron
Advanced Member
Member # 4498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Ron   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a while, I attended and almost joined a church here in Charleston, SC called the 'Cathedral of Praise'.

Very good church. Very powerful. It now consumes probably 100 acres of land, with many new buildings and everything one could think of.
Thousands and thousands of participating members.

The pastor is a great guy!

Most of the members seem to have plenty of money. It takes a lot of money for a church like this!

During the classes I attended taht one must take before joining, the pastor brought up that God rewards His loyal followers, and if any member comes to the church with financial needs, then they probably have not been living right. Otherwise they would not have financial needs.
(doesn't it say in scripture somewhere that you will receive up to 100 fold for every buck you give? That sure beats the lottery.)

He said the first thing they would do in such a case is investigate and see if that person or family with financial problems had been tithing!

What a great idea, I thought! This is not only a church, it is an insurance company!

I didn't join.

Great church, though!

Ronnie G

Posts: 102 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheech
Advanced Member
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's definitely not you. Our church was going through the same thing...needing to build a bigger church, so they started using the step out of the boat campaign. They had several members go to the houses of the congregation to just give them info on it and to pray on it. Then we had a congregation meeting at the church to get more info about it. Then we were asked to pray about how much we could give to this campaign and we prayed right there. In no way were we forced to give any one amount nor anything more than what we could afford. We could either put on a piece of paper how much we could give that night or do it in church. It was OUR choice...not the pastor's. He made it clear it was totally up to each family if they could give or not.

This to me was a much better thing to do. Your mom's pastor is way out of line...there are people who just can't afford to give tithes and extra!

--------------------
My God Is My Faith

Posts: 35 | From: KS | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Amen indeed! Meet at the park and use the money to take care of the needs of the people!
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen Sister Yahsway, Amen!

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally believe its wrong, there are sooooo many places of worship now. If they needed to add on to the existing building that might be okay in my opinon, but to ask people on fixed incomes to go over their tithes might be a bit much.

There are so many other needs that could be met with that kind of money. The church needs to start taking care of their orphans, widows, elderly, poor, there is so much more to do with money than build another building. Besides, time is short, the rapture as some see it could happen any moment, why not be about the business of building the Body of Christ instead of building another place to house them for worship. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. Love ya'll

Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEXASGRANDMA:
Is it just me, or is the Pastor over stepping abit when he uses his position to strong arm widows? [crying]

betty

Wow... it's not just you Sis, this is WRONG [Frown] It sounds like those folks are wise to look for another Church. One that Sticks to Biblical Teaching and Principals. This is Sad [crying]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 17 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom told me that a Church in her area is going to build a huge Church the similar to the Cathedral of Praise not quite as big but with lots of buildings including a separate Wedding Chapel separate from the statuary. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with what the preacher is doing to get the money. He is putting pressure for the senior citizens to pledge to give 100 a month min for the next three years over and beyond their tithes and for people who work more than that. My mom is friends with several widows from that Church and they are saying they will have to find a new Church home because that cannot afford to pledge a hundred dollars over their tithes.

Is it just me, or is the Pastor over stepping abit when he uses his position to strong arm widows? [crying]

betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement