Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Gifts for your pastor

Author Topic: Gifts for your pastor
susan/fl
Community Member
Member # 527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan/fl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I have a question about gifts to the pastor and his family. Are we talking about money? Can you buy or make the family a gift? I would like to make the family a quilt. Is that ok. I just want to do it because I like to quilt and I like to share. I am not planning on telling them who I am and that I made it. What do you think?
Posts: 10 | From: sanford,fl | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
volodymyrdolgoruki
Advanced Member
Member # 4400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for volodymyrdolgoruki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The biggest 3 gifts you could give your Pastor are

1. Prayer

2. Encouragement

3. Your service to the Church

--------------------
Don't wish for a better day
Be glad and use the one you're in
Fear God and do exactly what He says
That's what matters
All else fades like the flowers

Posts: 73 | From: God's Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful Heart
Advanced Member
Member # 2407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful Heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for your kind replies. I do feel in my heart that I would like to do something special for him in appreciation for his tireless work in our church. Maybe I could incorporate in something for his wife as well.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister was a Pastor's wife. Trust me, wives work very hard behind the scene. An unexpected gift for your Pastor and his wife would be a welcome surprise. It does not have to be anything expensive, it is not the money amount. What will count is that you made them feel special. Maybe you could write a note about how special both of them are.
God bless you.
betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The giving of a gift would bless two hearts. The heart of the pastor would be blessed in the receiving and the show of appreciation. Your heart would be blessed in the bestowing of the gift, and following the leading of our Comforter.

May God so bless your faithfulness and dedication to Him.

Psalm 84:
4: Blessed are they that dwell in thy house: they will be still praising thee. Selah.
5: Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee; in whose heart are the ways of them.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Study   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally have not known it to be a requirement after being baptize, but if you feel in your heart this is something you would like to do. I would say by all means follow your heart.

God Bless

--------------------
http://www.biblenotebooks.com
The book no Christian should be without!

Posts: 364 | From: NJ | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful Heart
Advanced Member
Member # 2407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joyful Heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies. [Smile]

So, for instance....it's not a custom or requirement to give a gift after the pastor baptizes my son? I wasn't sure of the etiquette on that kind of thing (which is outside of birthdays, appreciation months, and Christmas)

Posts: 28 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redkermit
Advanced Member
Member # 4059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redkermit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. I agree that it is fine to give your pastor a gift at anytime, but also I believe that October is clergy appreciation month, and churches I've been a part of have always taken special collections & presented gifts to the whole staff.

--------------------
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked. (Ps. 84:10b)

1 John 2:6
Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Listen Online:
www.wmuz.com
www.997flr.org

Posts: 604 | From: Michigan | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Study
Advanced Member
Member # 3991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Study   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Joyful Heart. I think its ok to give your Pastor a gift at anytime. I have seen my Pastor presented with gifts, during his anniversary, birthday, men’s day, father day and Christmas.

God Bless

--------------------
http://www.biblenotebooks.com
The book no Christian should be without!

Posts: 364 | From: NJ | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joyful Heart
Advanced Member
Member # 2407

I am new to church life and have a question about giving the pastor a gift. Are there certain times of year or certain events that it's customary to give the pastor a gift? (i.e. birthday, when he baptizes a family member, helping with a project, etc)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement