Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Movies

Author Topic: Movies
SomeGuyInPA
Community Member
Member # 4283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomeGuyInPA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NGCapnJack: yes my testimony is true [Confused]

i couldnt tell ya why god is bringing us ppl in PA back to the light this month.. but i am glad he is. [clap2]

Posts: 7 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LynnPA
Community Member
Member # 4273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LynnPA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you to everyone for their advice. I opted to throw them out and did so today.
quote:
Originally posted by NGCapnJack:
Oh wow, it's LynnPA and SomeGuyInPA.

You're the two people with the best testominies of God I've read in a long time. I don't know whether they are true or not, but I know I like your stories...

My question is, why is it that everyone in Pennsylvania who is far from God at one point in their life, have these amazing things happen to them? [Eek!]

Well, Jack, I can assure you that my testimony is 100% real. I pity anyone who would come here and make something like that up....God is watching. As for why we have amazing things happen for us, there is no other answer I can provide except that we are blessed! [clap2]
Posts: 9 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NGCapnJack
Advanced Member
Member # 4238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NGCapnJack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow, it's LynnPA and SomeGuyInPA.

You're the two people with the best testominies of God I've read in a long time. I don't know whether they are true or not, but I know I like your stories...

My question is, why is it that everyone in Pennsylvania who is far from God at one point in their life, have these amazing things happen to them? [Eek!]

--------------------
Arr matey, May the Lord Bless yer soul. [thumbsup2]

"The LORD is my Shepherd" (Psalm 23). [Cross]

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I came to the point where anything written/scripted by the world and acted out by a pack of unbelievers with a few believers mixed in, is coming out of Satan's world, and it is not worth viewing since all that comes out of Adam is under condemnation.

And why would anyone scare themselves with horror movies in this world which is already scary enough without you yourself willing inserting a "horror" movie?

The same with music; I came to the point where I dumped all my Adamic sheet music into the garbage can and began to honor the Lord only with Christian music.

Believe me, the Lord is looking to see what you are watching and what you are listening to:

Matthew 13:15
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

God bless, [Cross] BORN AGAIN

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedPhoenix
Community Member
Member # 4295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedPhoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of you that are wanting to get rid of the movies can send them to me. LOL

--------------------
RedPhoenix

Posts: 8 | From: Georgia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelus
Community Member
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angelus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMO, it would be those things that edify something that is morally objectionable or questionable, (i.e.those movies that imply that relationships outside of marriage are okay; movies that promote violence against a portion of society; etc...)

Fantasy, myths, fables and fairy tales have been with us since our beginning. IMO, these are less a problem than the movie or TV program that promote immorality (same gender relationships, co-habitating relationships outside of marriage, euthanasia, abortion, wholesale execution, senseless acts of violence etc..........)

Pax

Angelus

--------------------
I am already saved (Rom. 8:24, Eph. 2:5–8), being saved (1 Cor. 1:8, 2 Cor. 2:15, Phil. 2:12), and have the hope that I will be saved (Rom. 5:9–10, 1 Cor. 3:12–15).

Posts: 13 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SomeGuyInPA
Community Member
Member # 4283

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SomeGuyInPA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just went through this myself.

Yes horror movies are not something you want to hold onto. I just tossed out a bunch of movies I knew I shouldn’t have and there are still more I need to dump.. But I believe each person is affected in a different way by these things. For instance I knew a kid along time ago who’s parents wouldn’t let him watch the star wars movies because they believed they were (for lack of a better word) “evil”. They were never a problem for me and I am not saying I believe in the “force” or any thing like that I just see them as an entertaining story and they do not cause me to loose my faith in god. Are they Christian movies? Not at all! But neither are movies like Toy Story and I see nothing wrong with that movie.

Anyway what I am getting at is… listen to what god is putting in your heart about the movies you are questioning and if you feel as though they will cause you to be further from god trash them. Some things don’t even have to be evil to cause us to fall.
Lets say you have a car you really like and you enjoy spending a lot of time working on it or washing/waxing it. Nothing wrong with that and the action itself is not “evil” unless it becomes a bigger priority then Christ in you life.

I didn’t write this just found it online but I believe it applies here.

quote:

What Causes You to Sin?

“If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out… And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you” (Matthew 5:29-30).

Since “out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies 1 then what good is it to pluck out the eye or cut off the hand if the problem lies in the heart? The obvious answer is that Jesus is speaking figuratively of those things that cause us to be tempted or make us more susceptible to temptation. The Lord isn’t telling us to cripple ourselves, but to control ourselves and we can for “the fruit of the Spirit is … self control”.2 We should give up, or get rid of whatever is necessary, even the most cherished thing we possess, if it will help protect us from evil. It’s a call for a drastic and dramatic severing of those things that tempt us or make us susceptible to temptation and sin.

Have you identified what causes you to be tempted and stumble into sin? Is it a particular relationship? Is it a TV program, a movie, a magazine? Is it someone or something at your work or school that’s a problem, or is it something else? The sinful heart plans to put itself in situations where it can satisfy its lust but the godly heart plans to avoid them whenever possible and to flee from them when unavoidable.

Let’s make sure we sever those things from our lives that stumble us or cause us to sin. “Therefore… lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us… looking unto Jesus”.3 We must, “flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love…with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart”.4

1(Matthew 15:19) 2(Galatians 5:22) 3(Hebrews 12:1-2) 4(2 Timothy 2:22)

Posts: 7 | From: PA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LynnPA
Community Member
Member # 4273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LynnPA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm really frustrated right now and confused. I'm wondering, what kind of movies is it ok to view as a Christian and what is not? I'm going through the things I own that God would not approve of and trashing what is inappropriate and now I've reached my movie collection. But I'm unsure what I can keep and what I can't keep. The way I see it, anything containing nudity and/or acts of a sexual nature has to go as well as anything containing foul language. However, if something does not contain any of the aforementioned two things, is it alright to view? My main concern here is horror movies. For my whole life I have been a huge horror movie fan but I am wondering.....horror movies about things such as vampires, werewolves, etc....would they be considered occult based and therefore unacceptable viewing?
Posts: 9 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement