Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Excommunication from church

Author Topic: Excommunication from church
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother."

Notice first the economy of God and what is precious: people. What we have to gain in the correction of a brother is the brother himself. And notice that the first matter is a private one: no gossip, no slander- a conversation between the offending brother and the one offended.

"But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that 'by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.'"

Now the congregation becomes involved but the matter is still contained. The offended brother should chose one or two who are equally concerned for the brother's restoration- not impartial or, God forbid, indifferent saints. The matter is still the offending brother's soul: love is necessary from all involved.

"And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church."

Now the matter is made public to the church. Consider that this is on a large scale where the Christian "church" is defined as "all the saints in a particular city." The matter is brought by the witnesses to the church and their heart, as it has hopefully always been, is for the restoration of the brother. Again, love rules the day and restoration is the hope...

"But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."

..But even that may not be enough for the brother. The world is so mixed with the church in our day that this kind a separation, "as a heathen and a tax collector", is largely lost on us. This is excommunication: "no communication" hence "no fellowship with" the offending brother.

Paul writes in Corinthians...

"In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."

The congregation hands the unrepentant offender over to Satan. The matter is simply concluded by saying, as a group, "We release you from our fellowship and we give Satan permission to have his way with you as the Lord Jesus sees fit." His flesh will be devoured by Satan.

Now, there are a few things know:
1) The brother, once battered by Satan, may repent. The elders of the church should then restore the brother into the fellowship- usually into the care of an elder or saint with the gift of pastoring- caring for the flock. In his weakened state he will need much care and love.

2) Satan has not the power to condemn one to Hell. The brother's salvation is not in question merely his fellowship with believers.

3) Excommunication serves at least two purposes: 1) to protect the congregation and 2) to restore the offending brother. We should never lose sight of these two things lest we should find ourselves guilty of not restoring a brother once he has learned his lesson.

God Bless,
Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roman
Member # 3705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would anyone physically come to church in order to be publically humiliated??? Do they force one to come to church in some way (like in the times of inquisition it could well be physical), or perhaps do they deliberately not tell you that you are excommunicated, so that you show up for your regular service and have the bad surprise?

--------------------
If the son of man shall set you free, though shall be free indeed (John 8:36)

Posts: 4 | From: Ann Arbor | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, Catholics believe that anyone that isn't a catholic is going to hell, unless a catholic prays them out of it.

So when you are "excommunicated" you are simply removed from the membership role and publicly humiliated (the congregation is told that you have been excommunicated and why).

I don't know for certain, but this is what I have been told.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roman
Member # 3705

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the procedure of excommunication people from church? Do they read a prayer asking God to send a person to hell. Or do they force a person to perform some kind of satanic ritual, or perhaps perform it in front of him in order to make sure that he is in hell? And how do they actually force someone to attend the excommunication ceremony, unless of course they WANT to be condemned?

Finally, if I am right and there is such a thing as deliberate satanism / condemnation to hell of excommunicated, can you provide for me a sample prayer that they make? I am just curious about it.

(forget the silly tone, I simply don't know much about excommunication so I was just wondering if it was ever carried out that way)

--------------------
If the son of man shall set you free, though shall be free indeed (John 8:36)

Posts: 4 | From: Ann Arbor | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement