Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » how can one tell if some group is cultic?

Author Topic: how can one tell if some group is cultic?
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Walter Martin Dies
Hendrik H. Hanegraaff, Chief Executive Officer of Christian Research Institute (CRI) announced the sudden death of CRI's founder and president, Dr. Walter R. Martin, on the morning of June 26, 1989.

"We are thankful to God," said Hanegraaff, "that Dr. Martin was able to die peacefully at home, departing from his loved ones to the One he loved most."

Dr. Martin, age 60, died suddenly and without pain of heart failure.

Well-known for the definitive work entitled The Kingdom of the Cults, and "The Bible Answer Man" satellite-radio broadcast, Dr. Martin was recognized worldwide for his expertise in the area of Christian theology, comparative religions, cults, and the occult. Dr. Martin founded CRI in 1960. As a result of his vision, it has become a first-rate organization providing information on numerous cults, the occult and aberrant Christian theology (CRI Press Release).

Walter Martin will be greatly missed by all who ever heard him speak or who as a result of his ministry were lead out of the darkness of the Kingdom of the Cults. Watchman Fellowship wishes to extend to the family of Dr. Martin our sincere sympathy at this time of mourning.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SciptureAndPrayers
Advanced Member
Member # 3633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SciptureAndPrayers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I lived on the west coast I had to interract with a lot of members from different cults, simply because they were everywhere. The church I attended at the time regularly held conferences designed to teach believers how to respond and witness to "cultists". One prominent speaker in those days ('70's) was Dr. Walter Martin. He had/has written several books on Christian apologetics and cults. His flagship writing was call The Kingdom of the Cults, which dealt not only with recognizing the characteristics of most cults, but also dealt with many of them specifically (especially Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons (LDS), Christian Scientist, Children of God, Roscicrucians, and so on). I don't know if Dr. Martin is still alive, but I have seen revised editions of this book in the bookstores. I don't know if you can get it at the library, but you might want to check since the book probably costs around $35.

God bless you.

--------------------
In Christ's love. Amen.

Posts: 345 | From: Rochester NY | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wonderful_sky
Advanced Member
Member # 1808

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wonderful_sky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think another issue here is security. Humans find security in many different things, illegal drugs, smoking, alcohol, and other people.

I find security in my husband who works hard to provide for our family, he keeps us in our house and our lifestyle, without him I would feel like my security is gone, I would feel vulnerable. No one likes feeling vulnerable.

I find security in God and His word. I believe I am have a growth spirt. Jesus has shown me some interesting things of late... isn't He wonderful??

Finding security in smoking, alcohol, etc, doesn't involve emotions. Once you put emotions into your security you open yourself to many things. Your feelings can get hurt. Cults like to bring security to the insecure. They actually look for people that are downtrodden. People looking for something, some answer that they just seem to not be able to get a grip on. It is not the power of God they are getting, it is the control of another person on their life.

YOU control your life. God provides the direction.

Renie, This someone saying that this group was a cult, are they are Christian? Many times those on the outside looking in see more then those standing looking it eye to eye. There is a place out there for you, where God is worshipped, loved and praised. That place will show you love, Christian love. Not some overpowering, middle of the night waking, scare you to death cult. I will be praying for you sister!

In His service,
Sky [dance]

--------------------
He who kneels down to God, can stand up to anything [Prayer]

Posts: 220 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BORN AGAIN
unregistered

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cults also like to have "everybody believe the same thing." Just from that alone, I can tell you that this BBs is NOT a cult! [Big Grin]

When I was in a cult, the cult had a manila-folder book which we all had to recite together and we were not allowed to read any other books.

Another thing that they did was, a group of three established cult members would wake me up in the middle of the night to "foster unity among members". The first time they did woke me up, all three were wearing hooded sweatjackets and holding small flashlights, and as all three of them leaned over my bed, I swear that all their faces turned for a moment into devil's faces! [mad2]

The name of this cult was The Love Family!

With love, BORN AGAIN [Cross]

femnerd
Community Member
Member # 3812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for femnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cults are getting better at looking less like cults. The evangelical movement has taught them alot by example. They are smart enough to see what works well and copy it.

I always ask these questions:
1. Who is Jesus and what has he done? His divinity almost always comes under attack in a cult no matter what face they put on the church.
2. How does a person reach heaven? This question naturally includes the issue of salvation and oftentimes includes other issues as well. Many cults have a Jesus plus mentality that involves other actions for salvation.
3. Is the bible infallible and the only written document left to us by God? A group that has other spiritual documents that are equal to the bible is quick to tell you about them.

The answers to these questions tells me the story of the group. The answers to these questions will tell me all I need to know about a church. Anything else I find out is for pure curiosities sake. Sometimes cults are pretty fascinating like a sci fi movie. I caution people from becoming too involved in a cult though. They do draw in believers everyday.

Femnerd
yes, you can ask about my namel ol

--------------------
Spock: After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical; but it is often true."

Posts: 14 | From: KC MO | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renie7777
Community Member
Member # 3793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renie7777   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,I¯received Christ 29 years ago. That is what I thought, cult love and remove love. I have not sinned, they are actng weird tho

--------------------
2 corinthians 5:21 for he hath made him who knew no sin, to be sin for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God in him

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I know, love is used as a tool in cults. I mean, Jehovah's Witnesses will excommunicate anyone who won't repent of wrongdoing as fast as they'd like... like say, smoking, celebrating holidays, or drinking. They may talk to the person once or twice about it, but if they don't change (whether it be from lack of want of change, or *can't* change easily from addiction) they are forbidden to go to the Hall, associate with family and friends who are JW, and the person's reputation suffers in the JW community. Only once they've entirely quit doing the disapprovable act are they readmitted. It must be terrible to feel as though the whole church hates you because you struggle with sin... as if any of the rest don't struggle with it too.

One thing I've noticed about cults' leaders being only human... is their answer to that is that Christian leaders were only human too. The Apostles, Paul, the early church... all human too, just like their leader... On top of that, there's the fact that cults are always "the chosen" and all other Christians are "the scum" (to put it bluntly)... they are the chosen church, and noone else outside of that church is saved. The Mormons, the JW's, the Catholics, they all believe they are the chosen church.

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this is a lesson God wants you to understand. God loves us without condition. He loved us even when we were the most vile of sinners. This is the love we are to have for one another. Renie: IS Jesus Christ the Lord of your life and your redeemer? Have you been born again?
Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renie7777
Community Member
Member # 3793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for renie7777   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First they loved me so much it was if I was a kid of theirs, then they suddenly withdrew their love from me all together, just when I was enjoying it and feeling safe and loved. it was as if they are using their withdrawal of love as a type of punishment to make me do or say or whatever they want. The thing is, I dont kmow what they want. If they had something to say to me, they should just talk to me, not just withdraw love. I really thought that we were all like best friends of something. It is a group of about 30 people, like a family. I helped out like they asked, with vbs. I only kept going cause I enjoyed being loved like that. Now it is gone. I figured since different people told me it was a cult, maybe they were right. I am not sure. I think it is always nice to be told if you have done something wrong, instead of not being loved. I thought all was ok. it seems like mind control or manipulation to me

--------------------
2 corinthians 5:21 for he hath made him who knew no sin, to be sin for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God in him

Posts: 9 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A cult is simply a group with common beliefs...

ult [ kult ] (plural cults)

noun

1. religion: a system of religious or spiritual beliefs, especially an informal and transient belief system regarded by others as misguided or unorthodox

2. religious group: a group of people who share religious or spiritual beliefs

3. idolization of somebody or something: extreme or excessive admiration for a person, philosophy of life, or activity ( often used before a noun )
a cult following

4. object of idolization: a person, philosophy, or activity regarded with extreme or excessive admiration

5. fad: something popular or fashionable among a devoted group of enthusiasts ( often used before a noun )
cult status

6. ethnology system of supernatural beliefs: a body of organized practices and beliefs supposed to involve interaction with and control over supernatural powers

7. elite group: a self-identified group of people who share a narrowly defined interest or perspective

When we speak of cults from a Christian prespective. That is to say, if we are looking at a group and saying is this a cult or is this a true Christian group, then one of the most common things that distinquish a "Cult" from true Christianity is that most cults deny the diety of Christ.

Second, I think that cults follow the teachings of a man.... Mormons - Joe Smith, Jehovah Witnesses - Russell or The watchtower, Islam - Mohammad, Christian Science- Mary Baker Eddy, unification Church- Sun Myung Moon, 7th day Adventist - Miller etc...

Lastly, I think that in cults salvation is accomplished by works.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by renie7777:
that is my question. I heard that a cultic group is like, when one person desires to leave and stops coming they call and are loving and all are like one big family, is this true??

Calling you because of their love for you? "One big family"? That doesn't sound very "cultic" to me. If only the larger churches would take such notice of their weakest members...

Aaron

KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 20 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW TO IDENTIFY A DANGEROUS RELIGIOUS GROUP

----------------------------------------------

"If you can't think for yourself or make a decision, then you're in trouble. You are responsible for what you believe. If you can't walk away, then there's a problem, period." Those are the words of someone who has walked the descending staircase of a dangerous religious group. In the following pages, we'll learn from his experience and from others who have been delivered from the darkness and fear of spiritual abuse.

Our hope is that these pages will be read not only with others in mind but with a careful look at ourselves. The Scriptures warn that the seeds of dangerous religious thinking are not just around us, but in us and among us as well.

This is a very good free online booklet by Radio Bible class. You can read the entire boolet online by

Clicking Here

[type]

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renie7777
Community Member
Member # 3793

thanks I checked out those websites. Very enlightening.

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out this:

http://www.remnantofgod.org/6SIGNS.htm
http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html
http://www.conservativebookstore.com/creview/features/cult.htm?FACTNet

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
renie7777
Community Member
Member # 3793

that is my question. I heard that a cultic group is like, when one person desires to leave and stops coming they call and are loving and all are like one big family, is this true?? What are oter signs of a cultic grooup.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement