Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Author Topic: Does anyone else ever feel like this?
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship."

"Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good." (Romans 12:1,9)

If you have read something in the Bible, and God calls it sin, evil, abominable, or an act worthy of being burned up as chaff... we need to acknowledge it as being so, and strive not to make selfish exception, save when truly done in love.

As to Cinderella... I realize you are a young Christian, but think carefully... A fairy is a Gaelic spirit... not an angel, not something sent from God, but... put best as a "familiar spirit". Is it good to deal with familiar spirits? Consider what happened to Saul when he dealt with the witch of Endor and conjured up Samuel (1 Sam. 28).

Is it worthwhile to allow sin in our life for something so simple as entertainment?

"If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell." Matthew 5:29

As to the alcohol, if you lived in Europe, I would simply tell you to be careful... a child who grows up around something with addictive potentials will grow up to love it or hate it... either, usually with a passion. Most kids whose parents smoke will end up smoking themselves. Same with alcohol, TV, chocolate, etc. But here in America, it is against the law to give alcohol to minors... we are to respect the law when it doesn't conflict with what God says. As well as that, we are to consider what kind of witness that is to non-Christians. If we are to take on the Great Commission, then we need ALL the help we can get to bring the unsaved to Jesus... and having the scent of alcohol, even wine coolers upon our breath, much less our childrens', doesn't make for good help.

I do not say not to have alcohol altogether, but for the sake of the law, children should not have it, and for adults, it should be sparingly. There are far better means of staying healthy than alcohol.

Even though we are free from the punishment from sin, we are not given a license to do as we please, and to intentionally sin. "If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God." Hebrews 10:26-27

It's not about us and our wants... it's about serving others, bringing them to the Lord, and pleasing God.

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Mrs. Betty,

I really am trying hard to be a good mom.

My son loves to read his children's bible. He loves church. He sings all the time.
I think he is a very happy child, and that's what I always wanted... for my child to be happy.

Thanks for your encouragement!
Love to you all,
Joanna.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joanna.,

As a mother and a grandmother, I am embarrassed to say women can be cats, especially about child rearing. We all think we do a better job than anyone.

Now, that my kids are grown, I admit there were things I would have changed, but I believe everyone feels that way too.

All this said, I think you should pray and ask God what is right and ignore those who are judging you. We all can stand to improve. You pray to God and ask Him, if you needed to change anything.
He knows what is best for your home, not those "holier than thou" friends.

I do suggest reading God's Word to your children. I read a Chapter in the Bible every morning while my children ate Breakfast. You can buy devotionals for children that you can read that would probably be better than reading a Chapter from the Bible. Simply because it will have Bible versus and a story that releats to children's level.

God bless you, honey,
Betty

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yahsway,
Thanks, I think you're right.
Shabbat Shalom!
Joanna.

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Thanks FavorMinded and WhiteEagle...

I have always been careful about what I allow my son to do, see, and hear.

When we watch a movie, if there is anything in it that he shouldn't see, we don't watch it. If there are ghosts or magic, we talk about it. He knows that witchcraft is wrong and to never try it or pretend like he is doing it.

Now, he has seen Harry Potter movies because my mom lets him watch them at her house, even though I told her he couldn't. For a while I wouldn't even let him go to her house because of it. But that's a completely different issue!

I have told him that a little alcohol every once in a while is ok, but he should never drink more than one beer or wine cooler at a time when he gets older because then he wouldn't be making Jesus happy. He understands fine and tells my step-dad that he should quit drinking because it makes Jesus sad.

Did I tell you that my family aren't born-again believers?? They think I belong to a cult.

I am trying so hard to be a good mother. I am single. Sometimes that's a blessing, but sometimes I would love to say... "Just wait until your father gets home"!!

I honestly don't believe that I am a bad mother, possessed by anything other than the Holy Spirit, or an alcoholic! I was raised with some alcoholics in my life and I don't ever want that in my life again.

Now I do know that I "allow" stuff that I probably shouldn't. Little by little God is sifting that stuff out.

WhiteEagle, I'm with your husband on Stephen King. Everysince I can remember I used to watch horror movies and loved them! I read "IT" when I was 12 and couldn't put it down. It's a big book for a 12 year old! I still watch the movies and read the books, but I don't let my son watch them yet. I have told him that they are scary and he needs to wait a few years because they might give him night mares. He very quickly agrees and goes to watch batman or superman or spiderman (he loves superheros and veggie tales!) in the other room.

My son is only 8, but he is very intelligent. Sometimes I forget how young and impressionable he is because he acts so grown up most of the time. I do need to be a little more careful.

Anyway, thank you for all of your responses. I was really upset last night when I got home. I couldn't see past the "legalism"s that they had been spouting all night. I myself was wondering where the love was.

Thanks again!
Joanna.

--------------------

yahsway
Advanced Member
Member # 3738

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yahsway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Favorminded! Bat Elohim, just hang in there and any and everything you do, just do it as if unto the Father and you cant go wrong.Sometimes he allows us to see these things so that we can check ourselves. be blessed
Posts: 1238 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bat Elohim:
I wonder what a non-christian would have felt like in that setting.
Am I really such a bad person?

Where is the Love? They were so concerned about legalism, they forgot the Love of God.

I will very occassionally have a Pina Colada, maybe 2 times a year , when my husband and I go to a nice restaurant, and I want to enjoy it. I know that many would say I shouldn't do it. My husband doesn't drink at all, because he feels in his conscience he should not. I feel it's just something to enjoy on occasion. It just happens to be something that doesn't tempt me to excess.

On the other hand, when it comes to movies, many things my husband can tolerate such as Stephen King Movies, I can't watch without feeling convicted and bothered, as in the past I used to be an avid reader and follower of Stephen King's books. After I was saved I even had to throw out all those books to get the "evil" out, and show the Lord I now totally reject that "evil spirit".

Each of us is lead a little differently by the Holy Spirit, within scriptures teachings.

You can't allow other people's "dysfunctions" to rule you. Seek the Lord's will for your life, and read the Word, and the Holy Spirit will lead you to all truth. [Smile]

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Favor Minded
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

OK the things I had problems with were things like...
One lady said she would never allow her daughter to watch Cinderella because there was a fairy god-mother in it and it protrayed witchcraft.

I do believe what we allow ourselves to be exposed to affects our lives and our walk with the Lord - Cinderella is probably a little extreme to consider it portraying witchcraft however, Something like Harry Potter I believe should DEFINATELY be on the NO LIST -

quote:

Another lady said that her mom was watching "Pretty Woman" with her daughter in the room and she took her daughter home because she didn't want to expose her to prostitution. The child was only 2, she probably wasn't even watching the tv!

While from an adult perspective Pretty Woman may be "ok" entertainment, again what we watch affects who we are and how we perceive what is Godly and what is not. God wants us to ask him always for guidance and direction - While a story of leaving the "Oldest Profession" for love may be touching, it also causes the enemy to gain a foothold, small but there because if he can get you to say that is ok, the next one might be a little more risque', and then the next a little more, and so on, slowly increasing the deception that allows content that the Lord would otherwise deem objectionable to enter our ears and eyes. I often have to think to myself "Would Jesus like watching this"?

You are probably right about the 2 year old - But she is on the right track because she is already wanting to be sure she does not expose her to inappropriate content, and laying good groundwork for herself as much as her children. If we practice to know what God would find objectionable and ask him to help us see it, you might be surprised at what ultimately ends up on your no list...

quote:

Things they had a problem with...

I don't have a problem with my son playing with children from non-christian homes. He tells them about Jesus.

I do not think, after raising 6 boys that past a certain age we can "control" their friendships. I have seen many family units be torn apart by choosing their friends, again after a certain age. Up to say, 12 or so - We need to be careful. Now, I do not believe that it is a bad thing for friends to be of families who do not go to church - We have always invited them, brought them to kid functions, etc. we do have a duty though, as parents, to make sure that our children have an honest, open, communicative relationship with us so that they can share their experiences with us and we can help them with any experiences they may have outside the Christian environment that may be quesitonable or potentially harmful.

quote:

Yes, he does pick up bad stuff from them, but I can't shelter him his whole life.

No, you cannot - At about his teenage years, his peers will take on the more important role in some ways - But you must have diligently done your part to raise him up in the way he should go - We are to raise children up properly, and when they are old they will not depart from it - This means that often the tough love is saying no to relationships that may be emotionally damaging. The Bad Stuff he picks up is dependant on his age of course, but at the same time it is also dependant upon his influence - If his influence at home is strong and biblically based which I am sure it is, he will make the right choices - Many times we have had one of ours come home with what could have been a horror story but was not simply because they did not make the wrong choice (Praise the Lord) I was a single parent for 6 years with my first born and it was tough and I did alot of things wrong but he is grown and out of the house now. He is the one who lost the Baby that the dedication on my website is to.

quote:

He needs to learn right and wrong and I feel it's better to learn as you go, rather than being hit with it all at once later on.

He will develop as he is led - He will follow the example he has. Not saying you do, but lets say you watch Harry Potter movies - Then when he goes to an unsaved home, they watch the movies, he thinks Cool! My family likes these too!! And then, his unsaved friend decides to play Warlock in his room, and then he decides to look for Warlocks on the Internet, and then.......

Now, let's say you Don't watch Harry Potter Movies, and have explained why not - Because of the extensive use of Magic and Witchcraft and how it truly undermines Christianity - Then when he goes to unsaved home, they decide to Watch Harry Potter, he has a choice - He knows what is right and he will choose. He wil have the question in his heart. He may choose to watch it using the excuse that they were going to anyway - But at least he won't participate in the Witchcraft stuff - Or, he may say ya know, I think I would rather play basketball or something when it comes time to watch ....

quote:

I drink occasionally, usually one wine cooler or something of that nature, about once a month.

Ok, why not?! Jesus changed water into wine, right? And everybody back then had wine to drink! They partied and had a good time now and then...

Well, while that may be true, again it is the example we set for ourselves, our kids, and the testimony we have to offer others. When a new Christian comes over and sees Coolers in the Fridge, he might think Hey, I used to like those but I thought Christians didn't drink?

Bible says it may be lawful but not prudent - Simply put, I, and this is only a recommendation, because it is ok to "not be given to much wine, I believe it should be NO wine. No booze, beer, etc. because it sets a bad example for and offers a poor testimony. Again, a little at a time, we can be led into deception. What happens when a little becomes a little more, and a little more, then we are out of control? Not that you drink and drive, but did you know that even after a single 12 oz cooler, your motor skills and reaction time are reduced by more than one third?

This means that although you may "Feel" nothing from the alcohol physically, if you had to stop in an emergency like when that 3 year old rides his trike out in front of the car, someone who has had just one cooler, one beer, etc. has a 33% less chance of avoiding hitting the 3 year old?

The italians have always used alcohol medicinally - And clinically they are healthier for it - They give their kids a 6oz or so glass a day - And tests have shown that they live longer and have healthier hearts! But, so do the Orientals who eat lots of fish and veggies - Which of those two did Jesus use and eat more of, alcohol or fish?

I could never condone the drinking or giving of alcohol to my kids for the same reasons, and we are not to become stumbling blocks for others.

What if a recovering alcoholic comes over after church, and sees a cooler in the fridge? Or worse, is offered one and accepts. This means the one who gave the one recovering a drink has become a stumbling block for the ex alcoholic, and therefore cause dhim to stumble - This is very much SIN in the eyes of the Lord...

quote:

When I do, I pour some of it into a glass and let my son have some. ( when I said that, I thought all the air was going to be sucked out of that place!) I used to drink alcohol (in much greater quantities) when I was a child. We lived in Germany for a while, but my mom was English and wine and beer are a normal everyday thing in both countries.

Covered it already but, while I understand what Euorpean countries do, Asian countries do it better and without the regular allotments of blood poisoning alcohol.

One more thing to consider - People can easily develop a dependancy on alcohol - Children particularly are HIGHLY susceptible - He has some now, then when he is with his freinds, he tell them his mom lets him, and they manage to get some, then they drink a little too much, they decide to get in a car, well, you know the rest...If you condone it now, what happens later on?

quote:

I came away from that bible study feeling as if I was
1) the worst mother in the world... my son also fell down and cried a little, but I didn't run to him and make a fuss, because I knew he was putting on a show, but they thought he was really hurt... 5 minutes later he was chasing the other kids.

I hope I have not come across as judgemental or condescending, etc. I would just be very cautious of what I would allow my kids to see, hear, and drink. Booze is a POWERFUL tool of the Enemy...

quote:

2) a demon-possessed back-slidden christian, if ever I was a true christian in the first place.
3)an alcoholic.

Not at all - That is why you asked the question -
God only wants to be youre number one...If they made you feel like that just pray and lift them up and continue to ask the Lord to guide you.

quote:

I'm not well versed in the bible and haven't really been living for Christ long, but I came away feeling as if I had just had the **** beaten out of me by fellow brothers and sisters. I wish that I hadn't gone. I wonder what a non-christian would have felt like in that setting.

There are some real Holy Rollers that believe that the Hell Fire Damnation approach is the only way but Jesus did not teach this way. While he did indeed have some VERY SERIOUS admonishments for some, he mostly led by loving example and showed them the errors of their ways. Take MAry for example - He stopped them from stoning her and then simply told her to go and sin no more...

quote:

THE WORST!! No, JUST Kidding!

Not at all - God wants us to surround ourselves with other Christians, and grow in him. In this way you become a blessing to him and others.

God also gave us a very powerful tool, his voice and also our conscience.

When we listen intently, he speaks softly and says yes or no...

When you feel that check in your spirit that says "better not do that" or "Hmm.. I don't know if that is a good idea" chances are it is God saying No...

Hope I did not come off as being harsh or anything - I have raised 6 boys, two grown and out of the house now and while not always easy, and believe me, in years past I allowed some things I wish I could take back now but I have learned through it all, that God is there - Right beside you to lead you and answer those tough questions.

If you get a check in your gut, think twice about it...Ask God, say is this ok? And see what he says - He always answers and he always gives the BEST advice!

He wrote his signature on the heart of everyone of us and he stands by his greatest creation always -

[Bible]
[type]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

by the way... the word that got "*"ed out, I didn't think was a bad word, so sorry if you got the idea and thought that I said a curse word!

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Hey ya'll,
I went to a friends house tonight for his bible study. His church is very similar to my church, but still I was a little uncomfortable around his church friends. It seemed like all the things that I don't have a problem with, they did. and all the things that I did have a problem with, they didn't. I got to the point where I didn't say anything because I was afraid I would start an argument, or they would all lay hands on me and start praying that all my demons would be gone! I know that's a little extreme, but the thought did run through my head and when I jokingly said it to my friend, he said... "they just might". I rode over with another friend of mine, so I didn't have my car, otherwise I would have left.
OK the things I had problems with were things like...
One lady said she would never allow her daughter to watch Cinderella because there was a fairy god-mother in it and it protrayed witchcraft.
Another lady said that her mom was watching "Pretty Woman" with her daughter in the room and she took her daughter home because she didn't want to expose her to prostitution. The child was only 2, she probably wasn't even watching the tv!
Things they had a problem with...
I don't have a problem with my son playing with children from non-christian homes. He tells them about Jesus. Yes, he does pick up bad stuff from them, but I can't shelter him his whole life. He needs to learn right and wrong and I feel it's better to learn as you go, rather than being hit with it all at once later on.
I drink occasionally, usually one wine cooler or something of that nature, about once a month. When I do, I pour some of it into a glass and let my son have some. ( when I said that, I thought all the air was going to be sucked out of that place!) I used to drink alcohol (in much greater quantities) when I was a child. We lived in Germany for a while, but my mom was English and wine and beer are a normal everyday thing in both countries.
I came away from that bible study feeling as if I was
1) the worst mother in the world... my son also fell down and cried a little, but I didn't run to him and make a fuss, because I knew he was putting on a show, but they thought he was really hurt... 5 minutes later he was chasing the other kids.
2) a demon-possessed back-slidden christian, if ever I was a true christian in the first place.
3)an alcoholic.
I'm not well versed in the bible and haven't really been living for Christ long, but I came away feeling as if I had just had the **** beaten out of me by fellow brothers and sisters. I wish that I hadn't gone. I wonder what a non-christian would have felt like in that setting.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement