Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Marriage between Cousins

Author Topic: Marriage between Cousins
Endoxos
Advanced Member
Member # 2929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Endoxos   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMHO only, I think the Bible includes immediate family only as a "do you get the idea?" as opposed to "this, and only this, no more, no less"... kind of like, when it talks about a king, that may imply a king/pharoah/caesar/president/dictator/whatever. I mean, if you actually know who your aunt is and know her to be your aunt, she is blood, does that mean her child is any less a blood relative? Does it make that child's child any less a blood relative?

Maybe it's just me, but if you know how you're related to a person, then that's just too close.

--------------------
My signature is apisdn umop.

Posts: 362 | From: HELP! I'm stuck in a DOS window! | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adv Christian,

Thanks for the actual scriptures... I had to go read it in a different translation though, because I got a little confused... ok, I got a lot confused!!! I've been at work all day and I can't think straight!

Basically though it doesn't say you can't marry a cousin. You just can't marry anyone else (aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, grand-daughter, grand-son, and "step-"all of those) nor marry a woman and her near relative as well.

I've already told him he won though. He just laughed.

We've moved on to new topics now.

God Bless you and thanks again!!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adv.Christian
Advanced Member
Member # 3453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adv.Christian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Cross] Bat Elohim I beleive this is what you are looking for.

Leviticus 18

1 And the LORD said to Moses, 2 "Say to the people of Israel, I am the LORD your God. 3 You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt, where you dwelt, and you shall not do as they do in the land of Canaan, to which I am bringing you. You shall not walk in their statutes. 4 You shall do my ordinances and keep my statutes and walk in them. I am the LORD your God. 5 You shall therefore keep my statutes and my ordinances, by doing which a man shall live: I am the LORD. 6 "None of you shall approach any one near of kin to him to uncover nakedness. I am the LORD. 7 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father, which is the nakedness of your mother; she is your mother, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 8 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's wife; it is your father's nakedness. 9 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your sister, the daughter of your father or the daughter of your mother, whether born at home or born abroad. 10 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your son's daughter or of your daughter's daughter, for their nakedness is your own nakedness. 11 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's wife's daughter, begotten by your father, since she is your sister. 12 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's sister; she is your father's near kinswoman. 13 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother's sister, for she is your mother's near kinswoman. 14 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your father's brother, that is, you shall not approach his wife; she is your aunt. 15 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your daughter-in-law; she is your son's wife, you shall not uncover her nakedness. 16 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your brother's wife; she is your brother's nakedness. 17 You shall not uncover the nakedness of a woman and of her daughter, and you shall not take her son's daughter or her daughter's daughter to uncover her nakedness; they are your near kinswomen; it is wickedness.
As always love to all throough our Lord Jesus Christ. [Cross] [Prayer]

--------------------
A person talking can not be listening; A person not listening can not be learning.

Posts: 299 | From: Raleigh/North Carolina | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 21 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol!!!

--------------------
Numbers 6:24 May ADONAI bless you and keep you. 25 May ADONAI make his face shine on you and show you his favor. 26 May ADONAI lift up his face toward you and give you peace.

Posts: 704 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 9 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We won't talk about Texas. hmmmmmmmmmm
mabye I should look up my cousin, Gene.

[Big Grin]

Just kidding. I love my hubby. I probably would not reconize him. I haven''t seen him since he was about 13. [pound]

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mrs. Betty,
I checked out that website and apparently it isn't legal in Arkansas, where I thought it would be!! But it is legal here in Louisiana!!

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.cuddleinternational.org/laws/law-index.html

some states allow it

--------------------
Luk 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
http://www.indieheaven.com/artists/mm (son-in-law)http://www.myspace.com/mireles

Posts: 4985 | From: Washington State | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL Kristi!

It was a scripture reference that I was looking for, but the bible doesn't say that cousins can't marry. It's a human law, not a God ordained law.
Either way, I'm not going to marry my cousin! He's from Arkansas, and I think there's been some in-breeding in my family up there already!

--------------------

Kristi
Advanced Member
Member # 3396

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Kristi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kissing and Marriage between Cousins them is Not Allowed!!

--------------------
YSIC \o/
MsGuidedAngel aka KristiAnn
*~*Kristi Ann's Haven*~*

Posts: 109 | From: Oregon | God Loves You! | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Mrs. Betty,
You are so sweet! You are the blessing!
I agree 100% on the tithing too. I have been in church for almost 5 years now and the first sunday I told God that I was going "all the way". I wanted to tithe and do it right, so I wrote out a check for 10% of my net income. From that point on, I was able to meet my bills, but not any more than that. Then my pastor (at that time)preached about giving of the first fruits, so I started tithing on my gross income. I was able to meet my bills plus have a little extra to buy stuff that I wanted, like cd's and videos. Then I felt God pushing, so now I give a little more than 10% and I am starting to get some of my credit cards paid off! I never have "extra" to buy frivilous junk, but there is always enough to pay bills and pay a little extra on one of my credit cards. NO ONE can tell me that isn't God!
My son is singing in the shower!! He is 8. He's singing... "Whose report, will you believe... we shall believe the report of the Lord!.. " That is SO appropriate!!
I am a single mom, but God is more than enough!
Hey if you want, visit my church web site that is in my signature. I have visited all of your sites, they were so good that I even put a couple of them on my church's message board! I only just set up that message board, so there aren't many members, but anyone is welcome to join. You will find some of your jokes on there though because I copied some jokes onto it so that it wouldn't be as boring!
Well, I gotta go and feed my son!
God Bless YOU!
Joanna.

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TEXASGRANDMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joanna.

You have been a source of encouragment to me. You have no idea how much this means to me. I am praying that God will bless you for your kindness.
I grew up Assembly of God. When hubby and I first married he went to Church for a few years. But, he decided that he as agnostic and left. Ten years ago he had his first stroke and started back to Church and gave his heart to Jesus. He wanted to go to the Baptist Church so I joined with him. We went in Texas for 10 years. When we first moved here we went to the Assembly of God closer to our house but they were not friendly. So we joined the Baptist. Hubby complained because it was too big. I pray for a several weeks for God's will and we started going to Olympic Assembly of God. Hubby likes it better. I like them both so I am happy either way. I just want God's will.
My husband is one of those that if he is out of Church for a month, he stops reading the Bible and starts to have doubts. I know how important Church attendance is. People can say what they want about tithing but everytime I stopped tithing God stopped blessing me.
thanks again for being my friend

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Mrs. Betty,

My cousin was raised baptist, but became a Wiccan Priest. He then started practicing lots of other religions, he still does to some degree, but lots of people have been praying for him and now he has started going back to church again. He is reading his bible and we talk about everything!

It's good that your cousin didn't notice you when you were little. I had a couple that did and an uncle, my father, and a few of my mom's boyfriends that did "notice" me. But Jerry was always good to me and stood up for me, he even told him mom about some stuff that happened.

I, too, go to an assemblies of God church!! I love it! I was raised in a Masonic home and that was our "religion". Then when my mom remarried, my step-dad was athiest. That's why I don't know much about the bible or christianity. But over the last 5 years I have been studying and reading everything that I can get my hands on!

I'm so glad that you and Favor Minded are here, your messages have helped a lot!
You are such a blessing to me!

Thanks!
Joanna.

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Hon,

I never thought that. My daughter and I have our little discussion about things. Although we love each other, we don't always agree on things. I raised her in an Assembly of God Church. Her husband is United Pentecostal. She now believes you have to be baptized in Jesus's Name only. She is always after me to be baptized again. Seeing how the last 11 years I have attended the Baptist Church and now I am going back to the Assembly of God Church, and they do not baptize in Jesus's Name only, I don't think that is going to happen.
She finally admitted that I would still go to Heaven but of course I am not as "good" as her.
[Razz]
So I can see how your cousin can drive you crazy sometimes. Aren't you glad you love him? [Smile]

When I was 6, I did have a crush on my cousin. He thought I was a baby. Never noticed I existed.
[Frown]

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Thanks again TexasGrandma,
I'm not planning on marrying my cousin, just in case anyone got THAT idea! YUCK!
I haven't told him that I lost the argument yet! LOL!

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Joanna,

Your Welcome, Honey. I believe there are some states that allow first cousins to marry. I remember Ann Landers listing them for somebody one time, But, she suggested that cousins who marry not to have children, because of birth defects that can happen.

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks Texax Grandma! I guess I lost another argument with my cousin! [Eek!] [crying]
LOL!! [biglaugha] I really should give up trying to win!! But it's so much fun searching and learning about the word of God, even when it's silly stuff like this.
Thanks so much for answering this question for me! [thumbsup2]
God Bless!
Joanna (Bat Elohim)

--------------------

TEXASGRANDMA
Advanced Member
Member # 847

Here is what I found
http://www.wordoftruthradio.com/questions/37.html

If we all came from Adam and Eve and their children married each other, then can we marry our cousins?

When life on earth began at creation, Adam and Eve were told to "be fruitful and multiply". The human race started out with only one man and one woman, so their sons and daughters married in order for life to continue on. So why all the fuss today about people marrying first cousins? Is it ok with God?

Perhaps one of the best ways to look at this question is to consider the purpose for the Tree of Life. Adam and Eve were driven from the Garden of Eden so that they would not have access to the Tree of Life and thus become immortal sinners (Genesis 3:22). The book of Revelation tells us that we will one day be restored to the Tree of Life and its special properties will give us eternal life. We are also told that the leaves of that tree are for the “healing of the nations.” (Revelation 22:2)

Well, after Adam and Eve were placed outside the Garden, they had no access to the life giving properties of the Tree of Life, but some of it's effects lingered with the early people of planet earth. The restorative virtue of the Tree was so great that we read of no disease whatsoever from the creation of Adam and Eve to the flood and the average life expectancy was around 900 years of age! In fact, so great was the healing power of that tree upon Adam and Eve that in the genealogies of their decedents, only one son died before his father (in terms of old age) and this was recorded in Genesis because it was such an unheard of event for that time.

Today, we have degenerated to the degree that we warn people about
the heredity from your parents. For a woman, Breast Cancer is more
likely if your grandmother and/or mother had it. Baldness, hemophiliacs,
diabetes, etc. are all passed on in the genes to the next generation, whether expressed or not. When people breed within their own gene pools, certain flaws and deficiencies tend to emerge. First cousins are more likely to have a baby with a serious birth defect, mental retardation, or genetic disease. In fact, the risk is doubled when compared to a standard marriage between two unrelated partners. Because of disease and the potential for handicaps, the state and federal governments have passed laws limiting who can marry whom. The potential to limit the usefulness and happiness of our offspring is why most states do not allow close relatives to marry. History tells us clearly what happened to the monarchy in Japan due to close inbreeding. We just need to use some common sense for this issue.

Is it a sin to marry a cousin? The Bible does not specifically forbid it (see chart below), but it's important to remember that many laws do condemn this type of marriage and Christians are commanded to "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men" (1 Peter 2:13-15, See also Romans 13:1-2).

--------------------

Bat Elohim
Advanced Member
Member # 3739

Icon 17 posted      Profile for Bat Elohim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I have a stupid question and I posted it on another site as well....
Where in the bible does it say not to marry 1st cousins and such?
I have been arguing with my cousin about this!! He says that the bible doesn't say you can't marry 1st cousins, that 1st cousins married all the time in the bible. He says it's just a man-made law. He's much more bible-educated than I am, but I was certain there was something about it. Anyway, I have done a word search and have tried really hard to find it on my own.
It's a stupid argument, I know! But we talk about the bible together all the time and somehow this came up!
HELP!
Thanks,
Bat Elohim.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement