Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » What does this mean ?

Author Topic: What does this mean ?
Miguel
Advanced Member
Member # 47

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Miguel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In order to understand Ephesians 6:18 we need to take time to understand verses 10 through 17 and that will give to us the view and discipline in how to pray in the Spirit which God have giving to us through our Lord Jesus Christ.

(Rom 7:22) For I delight in the Law of God according to the inward man;

(Eph 3:16) that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man;

This one can be the key verses when we know how to pray in the Spirit;

John 16:13 Howbeit when He(Jeus), the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, [that] shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.

John 16:14 He shall glorify Me: for He shall receive of Mine, and shall shew [it] unto you. Praise God

--------------------
Romans 9:11-24

Our Eschatology may vary even our Ecclesiology may be disputed among us but our Soteriology most assume a singularity and exclusivity which in biblical term is known as Quote; "The Narrow Way" and Quote!

Posts: 2792 | From: Stockton,Ca | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a study I found that is very good in my oppinion. Maybe it will be of some assistance.

Holy Spirit Prayer
-------------------------------------------------

Praying In The Holy Spirit

Jude 1:20 (NIV) But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit.

Eph 6:18 (NIV) And pray in the Spirit...

Does This Mean "Praying In Tongues", As Some Insist?

Certainly praying in tongues is a way to "pray in the Spirit", but not the only way. Praying in the Spirit encompasses the full panoply of prayer, as we will see in a moment.

1 Cor 12:29-30 (NIV) Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?

Since the answer to all of the above questions is "no", it is clear that some receive gifts from the Holy Spirit and do not speak in tongues.

The Lord Gives Gifts as He Chooses
Heb 2:4 (Wey) ...by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed in accordance with His own will.

1 Cor 12:11 (NAS) But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.

1 Cor 12:4 (KJV) Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

1 Pet 4:10-11 (NAS) As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

Then What Does "Praying In The Spirit" Mean? Eph 6:18a (NRS) Pray in the Spirit...

The proper way to understand this phrase is: "pray in the Spirit" as opposed to "pray in the flesh". What is really behind our prayers?

For example: we know that the Pharisees were very keen on prayer, but was the Holy Spirit "in them" doing this? When we pray, are we motivated by religious instinct, showing off, legalism, or carnality? All such is worthless, a bubble of vanity--even if in "tongues". Instead, let us pray at the prompting of the Holy Spirit and by His leading in the way that is fit for the need, by His grace.

Phil 2:13 (Wey) For it is God Himself whose power creates within you the desire to do His gracious will and also brings about the accomplishment of the desire.

John 3:8 (NAS) "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is every one who is born of the Spirit."

Let us not allow the idea of "praying in the Spirit" to be corralled into a "tongues only" code-phrase, for there are many ways to "pray in the Spirit" besides the gift of tongues. Let the Spirit lead us to pray with the type of prayer needed in the moment, with God's power.

Here Is The Full Verse, In Context:
Eph 6:18 (NIV) And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests...

1 Tim 2:1 (Wey) I exhort then, first of all, that supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be offered on behalf of all men.

Eph 6:18 (TEB) Pray on every occasion, as the Spirit leads...

Eph 6:18 (Wey) Pray with unceasing prayer and entreaty on every fitting occasion in the Spirit, and be always on the alert to seize opportunities for doing so, with unwearied persistence and entreaty on behalf of all God's people.

The Lord's Example Prayer

The Prayer of Faith vs. Thy Will be Done

The Good Man's Prayer, Humility, and Posture

Mantras vs. Persistent Prayer

Praying in the Holy Spirit

Scripture Praying

Further Meditations on Prayer

Acts 17:11 Home Page

http://www.acts17-11.com/prayer_spirit.html

ROM 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Sometimes words are not enough to express how we are being lead to pray.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RisamyRisa
Advanced Member
Member # 1854

Icon 16 posted      Profile for RisamyRisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying in the spirit... hmm... I haven't exactly heard it just like that yet. Could that be praying in the spirit of Christ, aknowledging him as the bridge between yourself and God? My personal idea of prayer is that it's important, if you're seeking, to ask God's will and not your own. That's a hard one for me! If you're just praising God, I think that's easier - there are so many things to praise for! Anyways, not sure that was much help but I tried [Smile]

--------------------
Being a Christian is like being a pumpkin.. God picks you from the patch and washes the dirt off. He cuts out the top and removes the yucky stuff, and then He carves you a new smiling face and puts His light in you to shine for all the world to see!

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Passing Through
Advanced Member
Member # 1864

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Passing Through     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRAYING IN THE SPIRIT ? and how do you do it!!! please keep your answers VERY simple so I as a almost new Christian can understand it----THANK YOU--------Gail

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 145 | From: Okee. Fl | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement