Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » Questions & Answers   » Was Jesus poor?

Author Topic: Was Jesus poor?
J23
Advanced Member
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J23   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HelpForSchoolLeavers said / wrote:
quote:
J23 I would like to discuss your poverty is actually a blessing statement, but I have to run for now and it would take more time than I have online at the moment; I hope we can come back to it later.
I'm happy to reason with you. Sometimes I go across the whole board and forget where I've been, so please excuse me for not getting back to you sooner.

Jesus was spiritually rich but physically poor, but he understood that much more so that he could endure it and prosper. He grew into the man that we know about today, but before then he was being nurtured into his role. With much wisdom comes much sorrow - Solomon said something like this in a Proverb. If Jesus was rich physically from an early age he would have been raised differently and maybe unable to appreciate the many poor people that he encountered later on.

Obviously his Father owns all Creation, but he had a mission, and in order to deal with that his mind had to undergo certain conditions (like a training). I think that Jesus learnt a lot the hard way, but because he was wise he understood and grew. He was a Rose that grew out of concrete, almost impossible, but he made it by the abundance of wisdom that was granted to him by experiences.

Calling him rich like the common rich person would confuse the truth to people who are just hearing about who Jesus is. He wasn't rich, he came to suffer with the poorer people so that he could relate with them and reach them.

Poverty a blessing. Well, if being rich makes it more difficult to enter into Heaven and hardly any rich enter into Heaven, then being rich must be an obstacle to seeking Eternal Life. Therefore being poor gives the poor a headstart, because being poor gives less to lose and less to think about. Being poor limits the sins of a person if they understand, but a rich person thinks about the "fun" and thinks about maintaining those riches, and how do rich people get rich these days? - Who must rich people conform to in order to remain rich? - In a poorer person's heart is a dislike for the world that has kept them poor, that's the headstart.

Peace & Love,

J23

--------------------
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom: and the knowledge of the Holy is Understanding." - Proverbs 9:10

"... Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute Judgement and Justice in the Earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that they shall no more say, The Lord lives, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; but, The Lord lives, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the North country, and from all countries where I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land ..." - Jeremiah 23 [Closeby : Rapture]

"And you, Solomon my son, know you the God of your father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands all the imaginations of the thoughts: if you seek him, he will be found of you; but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever." - King David, Chronicles 28:9

THE 7 DAY THEORY 2

Posts: 199 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Harper
First Post
Member # 948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Harper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can Jesus have been poor when His Father "owns" the universe? Jesus was by no means physically poor... he apprenticed under his earthly father Joseph, was a carpenter by trade, and lived simply. I invite more on this topic, thanks for welcoming me ...I'm new.

In His Name [Kiss]

Posts: 1 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BHL:

I think we see the same point though we make it differently. I think many could say that Jesus, was poor. For me I see that he was anything but poor, as the Father provided all Jesus needed to accomplish the Father's will and Jesus's mission as he walked this earth.

Our heavenly Father does this for each of us, if we are able to recognize the provision and trust in Him not in Job, not in worldly inhertiance etc.

This goes to the Scripture you used and one of my favorites Deut 8.

I see the poverty of Jesus as, which you also pointed out, his giving up of his Godhead power, riches and glory to walk as the man he was here for those 33 years.

I also see that he was far richer than the richest man even in that state, because through His trust in the Father for provision He had all he needed for himself and those he blessed along the way. We do not see a picture of Jesus in Lack of anything that he needed, even the money to pay taxes for one example.

J23 I would like to discuss your poverty is actually a blessing statement, but I have to run for now and it would take more time than I have online at the moment; I hope we can come back to it later.

Abiding in him: You started this thread, what are your thoughts?

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J23
Advanced Member
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J23   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus wasn't Rich, and he didn't have a regular job, so all of his provisions came from the most High, including the Mercy of others towards him.

Jesus didn't have a place of his own to stay in; he stayed in other people's houses.

I think that Jesus was poor, and he was not a particularly good-looking person either, as Isaiah 53 told - he was a man despised and rejected of men, a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief ...

I hope you're not missing a point though, because it was and is actually a blessing to be poor, if you understand that is.

Peace & Love,

J23

--------------------
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom: and the knowledge of the Holy is Understanding." - Proverbs 9:10

"... Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute Judgement and Justice in the Earth. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that they shall no more say, The Lord lives, which brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; but, The Lord lives, which brought up and which led the seed of the house of Israel out of the North country, and from all countries where I had driven them; and they shall dwell in their own land ..." - Jeremiah 23 [Closeby : Rapture]

"And you, Solomon my son, know you the God of your father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the Lord searches all hearts, and understands all the imaginations of the thoughts: if you seek him, he will be found of you; but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever." - King David, Chronicles 28:9

THE 7 DAY THEORY 2

Posts: 199 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njclary
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you missed my point and I apologize.

Though Jesus was God in the Flesh, He lived as man, and as man, lived by the standards of that day. The standards of that day are so different from the standards of today especially here in the good-ol-USof A.

As I pointed out, the disciple group had organization and they did have a keeper of the purse. Whereever they went they had a place to stay, they had food, they had clothing.

Yes sometimes they slept under the stars, but that would not have been that unusual, there were fishermen in the group, so they could have fish whenever. they went to the fields to glean some grain heads on the 'Sabboth'.

I don't feel that by the standards of wealth in those days Jesus would have been classified as poor. or even needy.

God Bless

Joel

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linda,
I was rereading your ? and noticed the wording experience “bondage” of poverty,
I think I understand your thought.
Neither did HE experience the “bondage” of sin, but ……

HEB 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto [his] brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things [pertaining] to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
HEB 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

John Wesley's Bible Notes
Wherefore it behoved him - It was highly fit and
proper, yea, necessary, in order to his design of redeeming
them. To be made in all things - That essentially pertain to
human nature, and in all sufferings and temptations. Like his
brethren - This is a recapitulation of all that goes before: the
sum of all that follows is added immediately. That he might be a
merciful and faithful High Priest - Merciful toward sinners;
faithful toward God. A priest or high priest is one who has a
right of approaching God, and of bringing others to him.

Matthew Henry
14-18 The angels fell, and remained without hope or help. Christ never designed to be the Saviour of the fallen angels, therefore he did not take their nature; and the nature of angels could not be an atoning sacrifice for the sin of man. Here is a price paid, enough for all, and suitable to all, for it was in our nature. Here the wonderful love of God appeared, that, when Christ knew what he must suffer in our nature, and how he must die in it, yet he readily took it upon him. And this atonement made way for his people's deliverance from Satan's bondage, and for the pardon of their sins through faith. Let those who dread death, and strive to get the better of their terrors, no longer attempt to outbrave or to stifle them, no longer grow careless or wicked through despair. Let them not expect help from the world, or human devices; but let them seek pardon, peace, grace, and a lively hope of heaven, by faith in Him who died and rose again, that thus they may rise above the fear of death. The remembrance of his own sorrows and temptations, makes Christ mindful of the trials of his people, and ready to help them. He is ready and willing to succour those who are tempted, and seek him. He became man, and was tempted, that he might be every way qualified to succour his people, seeing that he had passed through the same temptations himself, but continued perfectly free from sin. Then let not the afflicted and tempted despond, or give place to Satan, as if temptations made it wrong for them to come to the Lord in prayer. No soul ever perished under temptation, that cried unto the Lord from real alarm at its danger, with faith and expectation of relief. This is our duty upon our first being surprised by temptations, and would stop their progress, which is our wisdom.

Please understand, I come from a back ground of 12 years of false teaching of the Word of Faith. They teach if you are not blessed with this worlds goods, you are missing GOD'S best for you.

I can not go there any more, that teaching is corrupt.

GOD does meet all our needs when we walk by Faith, but GOD help us from trusting in any thing this world has to offer.

Defiition of words as used in 2 COR.2:9
Poverty (root word) 4433 Bible usage from Strong’s
Beggary, in the NT poverty (the condition of one destitute of riches and abundance )
Poor (root word) from 4434 Bible usage from Strong’s
to be a beggar, to beg, to be poor

The WORD says HE became poor for my sake and the sake of all who put their trust in HIM.

When HE steped out of Glory, to come to earth, you have to admitt, by the standards of Heaven any condition YESHUA was in was beggarly.

The FATHER takes care of HIS Children.
PS 37:25 I have been young, and [now] am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

I am just trying to keep my message in balance with the WORD.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Icon 1 posted      Profile for becauseHElives   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Joel,
Now, not-with-standing that Jesus was God in the flesh, He did not live by the standards we know today, but He did live by the standards known then.

While on the earth as a man, YESHAU never used any of HIS GOD HEAD POWER, HE operated only as man filled with the Holy Spirit. HE said we would be able to do the same works HE did and greater works because HE went to be with the FATHER.

--------------------
Strive to enter in at the strait gate:for many, I say unto you will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. ( Luke 13:24 )

Posts: 4578 | From: Southeast Texas | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

Linda, no argument taken. Only trying to emphases YESHUA wants HIS followers to trust in the FATHER’S provision, not in our abilities. Just as HE did, as HE walked this earth.

The rich young ruler, went away sorrowful because he had great riches, or maybe I could word it this way “great riches had the young ruler”.

Read closely John Wesley’s Commentary at the end of my post on DEUT. 8

The little part about America was for those of the Word of Faith persusion.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was following you BHL until this line:

"If YESSHUA had not become poor, HE could not have understands the troubles of those that were not blessed to be born in America (maybe even some of us in America)."

Does God in all His riches and glory not understand poverty? I am not sure I follow you here.

I certainly do not deny that Christ understands things of the poor like perhaps hunger, he fasted 40 days. But did he experience the bondage of poverty? Do you know what i mean by that?

I see the scripture that you refer to 2COR 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.”

...not so much an earthly sense of poverty as in living in lack of the necessities of life like food,shelter, clothing, but a poverty of putting down his diety and all that comes with it to be fully man that had to depend fully on the Father and walk without sin in perfect obedience and surrender of will completely abased of self for our sakes that we might become adopted Children of the Father.

Not intended to argue; but to further understand your thoughts, and those of the rest of you.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

The question asks , “Was Jesus poor?”

Paul declared “2COR 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.”

Faith is the root; and as without faith it is not possible to please God, #Heb 11:6|, so those who abound in faith, will abound in other graces and good works also; and this will work and show itself by love. Great talkers are not always the best doers; but these Corinthians were diligent to do, as well as to know and talk well. To all these good things the apostle desires them to add this grace also, to abound in charity to the poor. The best arguments for Christian duties, are drawn from the grace and love of Christ. Though he was rich, as being God, equal in power and glory with the Father, yet he not only became man for us, but became poor also. At length he emptied himself, as it were, to ransom their souls by his sacrifice on the cross. From what riches, blessed Lord, to what poverty didst thou descend for our sakes! and to what riches hast thou advanced us through thy poverty! It is our happiness to be wholly at thy disposal.

YESHUA came as our example, HE possessed the wealth of the universe. HE laid it all aside to demonstrate what FAITH in YEHWEH was all about.

We can not trust in any thing of this world, was HIS demonstration to us. That YEHWEH would be our provider in all needs. Be the need physical or Spiritual.

The FATHER was HIS all in all and is also our all in all if we are walking by Faith.

We are not rich in this worlds goods, we have been made rich in the YESHUA.

If YESSHUA had not become poor, HE could not have understands the troubles of those that were not blessed to be born in America (maybe even some of us in America). HE understands the feeling of all mankind, HE was tempted in every way as mankind is.

HEB 2:17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto [his] brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things [pertaining] to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
HEB 2:18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

John Wesley's Bible Notes / DEUT 8:16-20

That he might humble thee - By keeping thee in a constant
dependence upon him for every day's food, and convincing thee what an
impotent, helpless creature thou art, having nothing whereon to subsist,
and being supported wholly by the alms of divine goodness from day to day.
The mercies of God, if duly considered, are as powerful a mean to humble us
as the greatest afflictions, because they increase our debts to God, and
manifest our dependence upon him, and by making God great, they make us
little in our own eyes. To do thee good - That is, that after he hath
purged and prepared thee by afflictions, thou mayest receive and enjoy his
blessings with less disadvantage, whilst by the remembrance of former
afflictions. thou art made thankful for them, and more cautious not to
abuse them.

When YESHUA taught us how to pray HE said “ give us our daily bread”, YEHWEH want us to trust in HIM, not in riches. I am not saying YEHWEH does not make men very wealthy, I am saying that when HE allows one of HIS children to become wealthy, it is because HE knows that HE can trust that person with wealth to use it to HIS Glory.

--------------------

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Oh this is such a good question:

I understand that a seamless robe like the one Jesus wore was of great value.

He had no place to lie his head; yet he had everyplace. Today one would have to be wealthy to be able to travel at will and preach and dine as a guest in the homes of the wealthy men of the city.

We see no place that Jesus was ever without what he needed.

Even the wealthy sought his wisdom; hardly something we would see had Jesus appeared to be a beggar.

He had education enough to speak with men of great wealth and power with confidence, also not a sign of a poor man.

I think that the picture is one that Jesus, because He sought not the wealth of the world but the will of the father had all the wealth of the world, as his father was the owner of the cattle on a thousand hills.

Jesus had all he needed, for himself... to give to others, to be accepted in what ever cirlces he traveled

helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Oh this is such a good question:

I understand that a seamless robe like the one Jesus wore was of great value.

He had no place to lie his head; yet he had everyplace. Today one would have to be wealthy to be able to travel at will and preach and dine as a guest in the homes of the wealthy men of the city.

We see no place that Jesus was ever without what he needed.

Even the wealthy sought his wisdom; hardly something we would see had Jesus appeared to be a beggar.

He had education enough to speak with men of great wealth and power with confidence, also not a sign of a poor man.

I think that the picture is one that Jesus, because He sought not the wealth of the world but the will of the father had all the wealth of the world, as his father was the owner of the cattle on a thousand hills.

Jesus had all he needed, for himself... to give to others, to be accepted in what ever cirlces he traveled

njclary
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back to the base question, Was Jesus poor?

How do you define poor?

We tend to define poor by the standards we live by. We see people of other cultures and declare them 'poor'.

Now, not-with-standing that Jesus was God in the flesh, He did not live by the standards we know today, but He did live by the standards known then. Now remember, the disciples had organization and one of them was the Keeper of the purse,[treasurer] Judas. So the group had funds. they had food, and lodging. Jesus Himself was raised in a household that had a working spouse, Joseph who was a worker of wood. But Jesus, during His Ministry, lived a lifestyle He chose, not one that was thrust upon Him. Was Jesus poor, I think not.

God Bless

Joel

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
becauseHElives
Advanced Member
Member # 87

MT 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air [have] nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay [his] head.

John Wesley's Bible Notes

The Son of man - The expression is borrowed from
#Daniel 7:13|, and is the appellation which Christ generally
gives himself: which he seems to do out of humility, as having
some relation to his mean appearance in this world. Hath not
where to lay his head - Therefore do not follow me from any view of temporal advantage.

Matthew Henry / MATTHEW 8:18-22

One of the scribes was too hasty in promising; he proffers himself to be a close follower of Christ. He seems to be very resolute. Many resolutions for religion are produced by sudden conviction, and taken up without due consideration; these come to nothing. When this scribe offered to follow Christ, one would think he should have been encouraged; one scribe might do more credit and service than twelve fishermen; but Christ saw his heart, and answered to its thoughts, and therein teaches all how to come to Christ. His resolve seems to have been from a worldly, covetous principle; but Christ had not a place to lay his head on, and if he follows him, he must not expect to fare better than he fared. We have reason to think this scribe went away. Another was too slow. Delay in doing is as bad on the one hand, as hastiness in resolving is on the other. He asked leave to attend his father to his grave, and then he would be at Christ's service. This seemed reasonable, yet it was not right. He had not true zeal for the work. Burying the dead, especially a dead father, is a good work, but it is not thy work at this time. If Christ requires our service, affection even for the nearest and dearest relatives, and for things otherwise our duty, must give way. An unwilling mind never wants an excuse. Jesus said to him, Follow me; and, no doubt, power went with this word to him as to others; he did follow Christ, and cleaved to him. The scribe said, I will follow thee; to this man Christ said, Follow me; comparing them together, it shows that we are brought to Christ by the force of his call to us, #Ro 9:16|.

DEUT 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for [it is] he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as [it is] this day.

This Scripture is often taken out of context in the “Church” today by the Word of Faith groups and others. I mention Word of Faith by name only because I was one for about 12 years.
Scripture can not be taken out of context. Read the previous and following Scriptures for clarity of meaning.

John Wesley's Bible Notes / DEUT 8:16-20

That he might humble thee - By keeping thee in a constant
dependence upon him for every day's food, and convincing thee what an
impotent, helpless creature thou art, having nothing whereon to subsist,
and being supported wholly by the alms of divine goodness from day to day.
The mercies of God, if duly considered, are as powerful a mean to humble us
as the greatest afflictions, because they increase our debts to God, and
manifest our dependence upon him, and by making God great, they make us
little in our own eyes. To do thee good - That is, that after he hath
purged and prepared thee by afflictions, thou mayest receive and enjoy his
blessings with less disadvantage, whilst by the remembrance of former
afflictions. thou art made thankful for them, and more cautious not to
abuse them.

When YESHUA taught us how to pray HE said “ give us our daily bread”, YEHWEH want us to trust in HIM, not our riches. I am not saying YEHWEH does not make men very wealthy, I am saying that when HE allows one of HIS children to become wealthy, it is because HE knows that HE can trust that person with wealth to use it to HIS Glory.

YEHWEH gives wealth………. DEUT 8:18 But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for [it is] he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as [it is] this day.

Satan makes many rich …….. PS 49:7 \49:6\They that trust in their wealth, and boast themselves in the multitude of their riches;

PS 52:9 \52:7\Lo, [this is] the man [that] made not God his strength; but trusted in the abundance of his riches, [and] strengthened himself in his wickedness.

PS 62:11 \62:10\Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart [upon them].

PROV 11:28 He that trusteth in his riches shall fall: but the righteous shall flourish as a branch.

MK 10:24 And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!

LK 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true [riches]?

1TIM 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not high-minded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

--------------------

Caretaker
Advanced Member
Member # 36

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Caretaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matt. 8:20 JFB Commentary:

20. And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head--Few as there were of the scribes who attached themselves to Jesus, it would appear, from his calling Him Teacher, that this one was a "disciple" in that looser sense of the word in which it is applied to the crowds who flocked after Him, with more or less conviction that His claims were well founded.

But from the answer which he received we are led to infer that there was more of transient emotion--of temporary impulse--than of intelligent principle in the speech. The preaching of Christ had riveted and charmed him; his heart had swelled; his enthusiasm had been kindled; and in this state of mind he will go anywhere with Him, and feels impelled to tell Him so. "Wilt thou?" replies the Lord Jesus. "Knowest thou whom thou art pledging thyself to follow, and whither haply He may lead thee? No warm home, no downy pillow has He for thee: He has them not for Himself. The foxes are not without their holes, nor do the birds of the air lack their nests; but the Son of man has to depend on the hospitality of others, and borrow the pillow whereon He lays His head ." How affecting is this reply! And yet He rejects not this man's offer, nor refuses him the liberty to follow Him. Only He will have him know what he is doing, and "count the cost." He will have him weigh well the real nature and the strength of his attachment, whether it be such as will abide in the day of trial. If so, he will be right welcome, for Christ puts none away. But it seems too plain that in this case that had not been done. And so we have called this the Rash or Precipitate Disciple.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not wealth by any earthly standards, even having to borrow the pillow on which to lay His head, dependent upon fetching a coin from a fishes mouth to pay a tax, but all of the wealth of Heaven is His inheritance, and all of the Earth will He reign over from His coming reign from the throne of David.

--------------------
A Servant of Christ,
Drew

1 Tim. 3:
16: And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh..

Posts: 3978 | From: Council Grove, KS USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kindgo
Advanced Member
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Kindgo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello sister dear [Kiss]

I came across this and thought it belonged here.

I would think that by todays world standerds Jesus would appear to be poor.

Jesus And The Poor

MAT 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

MAT 11:5 "The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor."

MAT 19:21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

MAR 10:21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

MAR 14:7 "The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me."

LUK 4:18 "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed,..."

LUK 7:22 So he replied to the messengers, "Go back and report to John what you have seen and heard: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor."

LUK 11:41 "But give what is inside the dish to the poor, and everything will be clean for you."

LUK 12:33 "Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys."

LUK 14:13 "But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed."

LUK 14:21 "The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, 'Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.'"

LUK 18:22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

LUK 19:8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, "Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount."

JOH 12:5-8 "Why wasn't this perfume sold and the money given to the poor? It was worth a year's wages." He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it. "Leave her alone", Jesus replied. "It was intended that she should save this perfume for the day of my burial. You will always have the poor among you, but you will not always have me."

All references are from the New International Version. (NIV)

--------------------
God bless,
Kindgo

Inside the will of God there is no failure. Outside the will of God there is no success.

Posts: 4320 | From: Sunny Florida | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
abidinginhim
Advanced Member
Member # 620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abidinginhim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's open a can of worms for dinner...

I've done a lot of speculating about this and am anxious to see where some of you'all are on this path.

Remember we do everything in LOVE!

[Wink]

--------------------
It's All About Him!

Posts: 137 | From: The Mountains of NC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement