Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Materialism: The Plague of the Last Days

Author Topic: Materialism: The Plague of the Last Days
HE LIVES
Advanced Member
Member # 4931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HE LIVES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for posting this article. I needed it, and the timing was perfect.

May the Lord bless you.

Chuck

Posts: 182 | From: Missouri | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KnowHim
Admin
Member # 1

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KnowHim   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Materialism: The Plague of the Last Days

One of the most dangerous and deadly temptations for the believer in the last days is to get caught up in materialism. In Revelation 3 the church of Laodicea, a picture of the professing church of the last days, saw material wealth as a symbol of their spirituality. They said, "I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing. " (Revelation 3:17) However, Jesus gave the following evaluation of this church, "Thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked. " (Revelation 3:17) This church thought they were spiritually rich when they were spiritually poverty stricken!

The church at Laodicea was like many churches today. The church members were more interested in their material possessions and pleasures than in the things of God. The Bible warns us that we cannot love the things of the world and God at the same time. I John 2:15-17 says, "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. " These professing believers at Laodicea were so busy serving their material desires that they had no place in their daily lives for Jesus Christ. That's why He said to them, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will (fellowship) with him, and he with me. " (Revelation 3:20) They had locked Jesus out of their church and out of their lives.

The real problem was not that they did not love Jesus! The real problem was that they loved themselves more than they loved Him! Self love is the core problem in all sin and is the driving force behind most expressions of sinful lifestyles today. This, too, is a fulfillment of the prophetic Scriptures. "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves .... Having a form of godliness ... " (2 Timothy 3:1-2, 5)

How do most believers evaluate spirituality today? How do most pastors evaluate the success of a ministry today? Most believers and pastors believe that if a preacher or church has a big following, money, power, big buildings, a radio or TV ministry, and effective church programs, then they have a successful ministry. This is not only wrong, it is DEAD wrong! ! In the text mentioned above, the Apostle Paul exhorts us to "turn away" from those who have this `form of godliness. " (2 Timothy 3:5) In his first epistle to Timothy, Paul warned him to be on the alert for "men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness. "(1 Timothy 6:5) Once again he warned, ':from such withdraw thyself. "(1 Timothy 6:5)

In reality, the most godly, fastest growing, evangelistically passionate church is located in the poverty stricken regions of Africa or in North Korea, where believers are being persecuted and killed for their faith. Wherever Christians are being persecuted and killed, the church is flourishing in purity and doctrine for the glory of God!

Globally speaking, this generation has more riches than any other generation in the history of mankind. In James 5:1-6, the Bible predicts that in the last days men will heap to themselves riches at the expense of others. Jesus said, "As it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed. " (Luke 17.•26-30) Jesus' point is that Noah and Lot lived in a world where people were materialistically comfortable. The sudden collapse of their materialistic society caught them completely off guard. They were so focused upon the pleasures that they did not see the approaching judgment of God.

While speaking about the final judgment in the last days, Jesus gave the following warning: `And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with [excessive indulgence in pleasures], and drunkenness, and the cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. " (Luke 21:34-36)

The Bible repeatedly teaches that riches have a tendency to keep us from coming to the Lord for true salvation. Jesus taught that it would be very difficult for rich people to come to Him for salvation (see Luke 18:1827). Notice that in Jesus' story of the rich man and the beggar that the rich man was lost and went to hell, while the beggar was a man of faith and went to paradise (Luke 16:19-31).

What does this indicate? It demonstrates that material things have a tendency to possess us and that we begin to make them our god, rather than the One and only true God! This is why Jesus had so much to say about riches and material possessions. He spoke much more about money and material possessions than about prayer. Why? Is it because money is more important than prayer! No! Jesus spoke about riches because he Knew that what we do with them is an indication of the spiritual condition of our heart! In Matthew 6:19-21 He taught, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. ...No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and [money]. " (Matthew 6:19-21, 24)

You are probably thinking that all of this does not apply to you because you are not rich. However, did you know that one-half of the world's population lives on less than $2.00 per day? In comparison to the overwhelming majority of the rest of the world, most Americans, even those living in poverty by our standards, are living like rich people in the eyes of the rest of the world. It is only a matter of perspective!

I recently flew to Nova Scotia to speak at a prophecy conference in a local church. After 21 hours of flying in very difficult weather, waiting in 5 different airports, and driving in a windy rain storm, I arrived at my destination at 4:00 am on Sunday morning. I was very tired, and the airlines lost my luggage. The only clothes that I had were those I was wearing. It took them almost two days to get my luggage to me. In this situation the Lord reminded me that these possessions were His and that it was only stuff! By His grace He helped me to have a thankful spirit and to just be glad that I had safely arrived at my destination. It was a real lesson for me and a reminder that I need to keep material things in perspective!

Long ago, God warned Israel that when a person is materialistically comfortable there is a tendency to `forget the LORD. " (Deuteronomy 6:12) The message of the Bible is loud and clear. Material things can and do get in the way of the more important matters in life! They can crowd out the things of God, and even God Himself in our heart (see Matthew 13:22). When Jesus gathered with His good friends in the home of Martha, Mary, and Lazarus, there were many around Him, listening to Him teach, and worshipping Him. However, Martha was busy, fixing a meal and thinking about the physical needs of the moment. After a time of mental frustration due to her sister's lack of assistance, she asked Jesus to tell her sister, Mary, to help her. Jesus' answer to Martha speaks to the heart of our consideration. He said, "Martha, Martha, thou are careful [anxious] and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her. " (Luke 10:41-42)

Jesus' answer to Martha clearly teaches that food for the soul is more important that food for our body (compare John 4:31-34). The Bible does not teach that we do not need material things. But, it does teach that material things do not satisfy the hunger of our soul - the spiritual heart of man. Long ago, King Solomon of Israel, who had it all - wealth, power, popularity, and pleasure - testified that all of the wealth of stuff, opportunities, experiences, and people left him spiritually empty and was nothing compared to the joy that the Lord gives. This is the central message of the entire book of Ecclesiastes.

However, not only do material possessions not satisfy the real need of our souls, they also can be a poison that will destroy us! Please listen to the following warning about material possessions: "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and [clothing] let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition. For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some have coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. "(1 Timothy 6:6-10) James 5:1-6 warns us that in the last days riches will bring sorrow, greed, and judgment to many. 'Xs many in this world continue to become more and more affluent. they have a tendency to grow further away from family and friends. We live in a world of isolation. Families are falling apart, marriages are failing, churches are becoming weaker, and the fabric of society seems to be torn as men’s hearts grow cold (see Matthew 24:12) as they focus upon material possessions and pleasures to satisfy the lust of the flesh. People are not only sacrificing their relationship with God for riches, they are sacrificing family and friends for material things. Parents are more concerned about the material possessions they provide for their children than the love and spiritual guidance that they need. Many parents are selling the souls of their family on the altar of success, while telling themselves that they are doing this for their family. Parents need to realize that they should be more concerned about their child's eternal destiny than the clothes they wear, the size of their bedroom, the toys they have, or the pleasures they enjoy. Too many parents will stand before the Great White Throne judgment (see Revelation 20:11-15) at the end of time as they watch their children cast into the Lake of Fire. They will weep as they recognize that they had their priorities mixed up. Material things became their god and it cost them the souls of their children for eternity!

What can we do? It is important to keep life in perspective! Material possessions are temporary and they do not bring real lasting joy! Jesus said, "Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. " (Luke 12:15) We would all do well to memorize that verse and to mediate upon this truth for a long time! Jesus warns us to not fall into the trap of covetousness - to be overwhelmed with a spirit of discontent and always be wanting more and more. This describes most people in this modern materialistic society. They more they get, the more they want. Their want is never satisfied. And, usually, the more they get, the more miserable they become because they have bought into a lifestyle that promotes spiritual bankruptcy! Most Americans, and even most American believers, are caught up in this endless trap and are most miserable. As I visit many churches, I have noted that most professing believers do not appear to have the joy of the Lord. For them, life is boring and meaningless. They need to be reminded: "The joy of the Lord is your strength. "(Nehemiah 8:10)

We need to focus on what really matters in this life! We have been created for eternity. We have been created to bring God pleasure! When the church gets home in heaven, note what we will say as we gather around the throne of God. "Thou art worthy, 0 Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. " (Revelation 4:11)

After giving the warning about living for the emptiness of material things, the Apostle Paul exhorts the believer, "But thou, 0 man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses. "(1 Timothy 6:11-12) Are you making the main thing the main thing in life? Are you living for the fake gold of the world, or the real gold of eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord?

We must also remember that material possessions are a gift from God, and all of them really belong to Him, not us! "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. " (James 1:17) All of the wealth of this world belongs to the Lord, and He gives it to whomever He wants! When He gives it to us, we become His stewards. We are only managers of His property! With this in mind, the Lord gives us the following charge, "Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not high minded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. "(1 Timothy 6:17-19) Do you find it hard to give money to the Lord's work? Do you find it hard to give money to those who are really in need? If the answer to these questions is yes, then you need to remember that the money in your hand and in your bank, is not yours, but His. You are just managing His account, and one day you will give an account to Him!

The Bible does not condemn the possession of material things. What the Bible condemns is the possession of material things over us! Have money and possessions become too important to you? Remember, Jesus said, "For where your treasure is, there will your heart [mind] be also. " (Matthew 6:21) Jesus was simply saying that whatever you think about the most, that is your treasure! How often do you think about Him? Do you think about something or someone else more than Him? Whatever you think about the most is your god!

Does your soul thirst for God? Is He your greatest treasure, your greatest delight? "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee 0 God. " (Psalm 42:1) "0 God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is." (Psalm 63:1) We live in a spiritual desert where people are attempting to quench their spiritual thirst with physical things! It will not work!! Have you learned that lesson?

As we come to this Christmas, will you get lost in all of the commercial busyness of this special time of worship? We should worship the birth of our Lord each and every day! However, it is good and pleasing to Him for us to take this occasion that has been set aside to focus upon the greatest gift that has every been given to man - the gift of our Savior, the God/Man, Jesus Christ! Will you teach your children about Him, or will they get lost in all of the selfish getting of gifts? Will you allow the busyness of this season to rob you of the joy of the Lord as we rejoice in His first coming and long for His Second Coming?

Long ago, when He came the first time, there was no room for Him in Bethlehem. Tragically, this will be repeated again billions of times this Christmas. Even professing Christians are so busy with the materialism that has consumed the celebration of Christmas that they will have no room for Jesus. Will they hear Him knocking at their hearts' door? Over 19 centuries ago He said to the church of Laodicea, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will (fellowship] with him, and he with me. " (Revelation3:20)

He is not asking us to choose between material blessings and Him. Here is His promise, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things [the material needs- not wants] shall be added unto you. " (Matthew 6:33)

We are living in the last of the last days, and one of the signs of His coming is the global plague of materialism. In Luke 21:34-36 Jesus warned us to not allow material pleasures to numb our souls. Just as in the days of Noah, we live in a world that is going on with life as usual, not knowing that the imminent wrath of God is ready to fall on this godless world system.

Isn't it ironic that the very thing that some people consider a blessing (material wealth) may turn out to be a curse for this generation? Do not let that happen to you! Please remember this, "Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith. " (Proverbs 15:16)

Prophecy Today Newsletter - December 2006
By Mike Wingfield

--------------------
Video Tracts
Christian Media
LiveTracts
Friend Me On Facebook
Evangelism TackleBox

Posts: 3276 | From: Charlestown, IN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement