Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Signs of the Times...Rare earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico!

Author Topic: Signs of the Times...Rare earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico!
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
..is that it's an apples/oranges comparison. Human reproductive processes have nothing to do with seismic activity - it's a distant analogy at best. ...and there is really no evidence whatsoever that bulk numbers of earthquakes themselves have increased, however remote populations of humans have increased greatly, in order to experience these quakes!
I guess God likes apples and oranges...

1 ¶ But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. 6 ¶ Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.

Isa 13:8 And they shall be afraid: pangs and sorrows shall take hold of them; they shall be in pain as a woman that travaileth: they shall be amazed one at another; their faces shall be as flames.

Mr 13:8 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aaron
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EL3LN3TN:
the scenario I'm suggesting is that of a prophecy being both cast AND fulfilled within the span of a lifetime.

But anyways....considering the time frames involved here, I'd also suggest there have been NUMEROUS times throughout the past 2 millenia that persons could make the erroneous (IMHO)short-term conclusion that: "Earthquakes are becoming more numerous! ...and greater intensity!! Surely the time is at hand!!"

...and the other question would be as to who(?) are these mysterious "saints" you're refering to?

Personages in Heaven? I've always had the understanding that a saint is a lionized dead person.

Sure. However, earth quakes are but one of the events that signal the end times.

And regarding saints: they are believers of no certain qualification or stature. Simply put: they are Christians.

Aaron

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

"...then, those believers who are alive.."

Oops sorry, I was a little thrown-off by that, my bad! [Eek!] [Big Grin] a blonde moment

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron:
The prophecy is first for the believers who will go through the times. If earthquakes are 1) more numerous and 2) greater in magnitude then those who are alive during the fulfillment of the prophecies will have comparable evidence (before and after) that validates the prophecy...in their lifetime.

....the scenario I'm suggesting is that of a prophecy being both cast AND fulfilled within the span of a lifetime.

But anyways....considering the time frames involved here, I'd also suggest there have been NUMEROUS times throughout the past 2 millenia that persons could make the erroneous (IMHO)short-term conclusion that: "Earthquakes are becoming more numerous! ...and greater intensity!! Surely the time is at hand!!"

...and the other question would be as to who(?) are these mysterious "saints" you're refering to?

Personages in Heaven? I've always had the understanding that a saint is a lionized dead person.

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
That's a little hard to decipher. [Confused]
Both "believers" & "nonbelievers" experience whatever "time" is at hand.
btw - do YOU have firsthand experience with prophecy & revelation??[/b]

The intent of prophesy is to encourage the saints so that they are not shaken by the events.

Yes.

quote:
Wait a minute. I'm not following you here...
"earthquakes are 1) more numerous and 2) greater in magnitude then those who are alive during the fulfillment of the prophecies"
How can the magnitude of an earthquake be "greater" than "those who are alive"???

It was a "then" statement, not a "than" statement.

quote:
maybe there's some good advice in there somewhere, but, you seem to be suggesting that the mirage of "Bible Prophecy" is only for those who choose to be entertained by it??
Prophesies are for believers who live in the times of their fulfillments. I suppose they could entertain some people but I doubt the saints would regard them in such a shallow manner.

Aaron

EL3LN3TN
unregistered

quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EL3LN3TN:
Yes, I did see that, but...oops!...another problem....there was no seismic measurement scale in existence at the time of the scriptural writing, so what's to be compared to on a "severity" scale??
The prophecy is first for the believers who will go through the times.

That's a little hard to decipher. [Confused]
Both "believers" & "nonbelievers" experience whatever "time" is at hand.
btw - do YOU have firsthand experience with prophecy & revelation??
quote:
If earthquakes are 1) more numerous and 2) greater in magnitude then those who are alive during the fulfillment of the prophecies will have comparable evidence (before and after) that validates the prophecy...in their lifetime.

Wait a minute. I'm not following you here...
"earthquakes are 1) more numerous and 2) greater in magnitude then those who are alive during the fulfillment of the prophecies"
How can the magnitude of an earthquake be "greater" than "those who are alive"???

quote:
Even so, you doubt the validity of scriptures.

I do?? Where do you get that impression from?
quote:
I don't see why you would concern yourself with Biblical prophecy. It is useless to you.

eeww..wait a minute..."my" opinions should have no bearings whatsoever.
Prophecy & revelation should occur, regardless of whether I have any "use" for it or not.
quote:
Continue doing what makes you feel good about yourself. Don't let (what you call) "foolish things" interrupt your days.

Aaron

[Confused] Where did I use the term "foolish things"???

maybe there's some good advice in there somewhere, but, you seem to be suggesting that the mirage of "Bible Prophecy" is only for those who choose to be entertained by it??

Aaron
unregistered

quote:
[QUOTE]Yes, I did see that, but...oops!...another problem....there was no seismic measurement scale in existence at the time of the scriptural writing, so what's to be compared to on a "severity" scale??

The prophecy is first for the believers who will go through the times. If earthquakes are 1) more numerous and 2) greater in magnitude then those who are alive during the fulfillment of the prophecies will have comparable evidence (before and after) that validates the prophecy...in their lifetime.

Even so, you doubt the validity of scriptures. I don't see why you would concern yourself with Biblical prophecy. It is useless to you.

Continue doing what makes you feel good about yourself. Don't let (what you call) "foolish things" interrupt your days.

Aaron

NLP
Advanced Member
Member # 5870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NLP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.

Earthquakes in divers (diverse) places…

Main Entry: di•verse
Pronunciation: dI-'v&rs, d&-', 'dI-"
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English divers, diverse, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French divers, from Latin diversus, from past participle of divertere
1 : differing from one another : UNLIKE <people with diverse interests>
2 : composed of distinct or unlike elements or qualities <a diverse population>
synonym see DIFFERENT
- di•verse•ly adverb
- di•verse•ness noun

One morning about 5 or 6 years ago I was sitting in my living and my husband woke up and began stomping around upstairs. After a few seconds he stopped, and then he started up again. I was beginning to get angry because it was very annoying and I had no idea why he felt it so necessary to make such a racket that early in the morning. [Mad]

I had finally had enough after about another minute and I stormed upstairs to find out what on God’s green earth he was doing up there. When I went into the bedroom I found him fast asleep in bed. I just stood there for a second thinking about what just happened. When he did wake up and come downstairs I asked him if he did anything upstairs earlier? He looked at me like I was nuts.

Anyway about an hour later we were watching the news and come to find out what I felt earlier was an earthquake. I blamed my husband (which we laugh about today) because I have lived in NY almost all my life and I have never felt an earthquake and never in a million years would I have thought I would feel one in Upstate New York!

Come to find out there are NO fault lines in NY and 'science' is still not able to figure out why WE get them. Needless to say I would definitely consider what I felt that day to be very rare and unusual. As a matter of fact if you had said to me:
“You will feel an earthquake” I would have responded with a reply like this “Ha, Ha, [roll on floor] not Likely"(see definition above).

Just my 2 cents and personal experience.

Nina

Posts: 45 | From: New York | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

quote:
quote:

biggest problem with:
quote:
Also of note: it is not only the existence of earthquakes and such but the increasing frequency of such things. Ask a mother about contractions. She'll tell you they increase in severity and frequency as the "moment" approaches.
...is that it's an apples/oranges comparison. Human reproductive processes have nothing to do with seismic activity - it's a distant analogy at best. ...and there is really no evidence whatsoever that bulk numbers of earthquakes themselves have increased, however remote populations of humans have increased greatly, in order to experience these quakes! [wiggle7]
You didn't catch the reference to scripture. The prophesy is not limited to "more seismic activity" it also notes that they will increase in severity as the Day of the Lord approaches.
Yes, I did see that, but...oops!...another problem....there was no seismic measurement scale in existence at the time of the scriptural writing, so what's to be compared to on a "severity" scale??
...and once again, the "they will increase..etc" part, really amounts to just speculation.
quote:

The "evidence" you seek will be unquestionable....soon I think.

Aaron

See my last response above.
[Wink]

EL3LN3TN
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by trafield:
[QB]
quote:
Some other factors get in the way as well, such as the authorship of Matthew some 50 years after Christ (approx. 80-90 ad) and that prophetic foresight is not known to span much past 150-200 yrs (max!), and Jesus ben Joseph (Christ)was not known to possess prophetic ability.

Okay...now at least I can understand where you are coming from. So if you doubt the credability of Scripture,
Not really, I'm not questioning the credibility of scripture, just authorship dates, and claims of direct-reference quotes attributed to Christ.
quote:

then it is no wonder why you doubt prophetic fulfillment.

It depends. No, not across-the-board doubts, in fact I've seen direct examples of prophetic fulfillment having taken place within the span of my own life! [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]
quote:

No matter...the truth and certainty of biblical prophetic fulfilment is a reality regardless of what you believe or disbelieve in.

I would'nt disagree with that for one minute! Cast, (and then fulfilled) prophecies exist a number of places in scripture.
Aaron
unregistered

quote:

biggest problem with:
quote:
Also of note: it is not only the existence of earthquakes and such but the increasing frequency of such things. Ask a mother about contractions. She'll tell you they increase in severity and frequency as the "moment" approaches.
...is that it's an apples/oranges comparison. Human reproductive processes have nothing to do with seismic activity - it's a distant analogy at best. ...and there is really no evidence whatsoever that bulk numbers of earthquakes themselves have increased, however remote populations of humans have increased greatly, in order to experience these quakes! [wiggle7]
You didn't catch the reference to scripture. The prophesy is not limited to "more seismic activity" it also notes that they will increase in severity as the Day of the Lord approaches.

The "evidence" you seek will be unquestionable....soon I think.

Aaron

trafield
Advanced Member
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trafield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Some other factors get in the way as well, such as the authorship of Matthew some 50 years after Christ (approx. 80-90 ad) and that prophetic foresight is not known to span much past 150-200 yrs (max!), and Jesus ben Joseph (Christ)was not known to possess prophetic ability.

Okay...now at least I can understand where you are coming from. So if you doubt the credability of Scripture, then it is no wonder why you doubt prophetic fulfillment.
No matter...the truth and certainty of biblical prophetic fulfilment is a reality regardless of what you believe or disbelieve in.
[cool_shades]

Posts: 225 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by trafield:
Unfortunately this does'nt mean that they have "just recently begun happening" since they can now be detected & located.
I guess you have not considered that Jesus knew that we would have the technology to detect the many earthquakes going on in these last days. [Wink]

I'd suggest that we'd have no way of knowing that, ourselves directly. [Razz] Technologia from the Greek dealt more with architecture, and electronic transmission was unknown at the time, so... [Confused]

biggest problem with:
quote:
Aaron
unregistered

Aaron

trafield
Advanced Member
Member # 5358

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trafield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unfortunately this does'nt mean that they have "just recently begun happening" since they can now be detected & located.
I guess you have not considered that Jesus knew that we would have the technology to detect the many earthquakes going on in these last days. [Wink]
Posts: 225 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

quote:
It is the largest of more than a dozen shocks that have been instrumentally recorded from the eastern Gulf of Mexico in the past three decades, and it is the most widely felt. The most recent significant earthquake in the region occurred on February 10th, 2006 and had a magnitude of 5.2. We have not associated this earthquake with a specific causative fault.
Another sign of the times that might be added, is the ability to detect & pinpoint remote earthquake locations & occurrence.

Unfortunately this does'nt mean that they have "just recently begun happening" since they can now be detected & located. [Wink]

trafield
Advanced Member
Member # 5358

Signs of the End of the Age
Matthew 24:1-8
1Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2"Do you see all these things?" he asked. "I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."

3As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"

4Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you. 5For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,[a]' and will deceive many. 6You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8All these are the beginning of birth pains.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/usslav.php

Magnitude 6.0 - GULF OF MEXICO

2006 September 10 14:56:07 UTC
Versнon en Espaсol

Details
Summary
Maps
Scientific & Technical
Where can I find...?
Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.0 (Strong)
Date-Time Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 14:56:07 (UTC)
= Coordinated Universal Time
Sunday, September 10, 2006 at 8:56:07 AM
= local time at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 26.327°N, 86.571°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region GULF OF MEXICO
Distances 403 km (250 miles) WSW (251°) from Anna Maria, FL
404 km (251 miles) WSW (252°) from Holmes Beach, FL
404 km (251 miles) WSW (253°) from Bradenton Beach, FL
419 km (260 miles) WSW (245°) from Clearwater, FL
530 km (330 miles) SE (139°) from New Orleans, LA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 3.7 km (2.3 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters Nst=216, Nph=216, Dmin=545.7 km, Rmss=1 sec, Gp= 58°,
M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usslav

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Did you feel it?
Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.
Earthquake Summary

The following is a release by the United States Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center: A strong earthquake occurred about 250 miles (405 km) south-southwest of Apalachicola, Florida at 8:56 AM MDT, Sep 10, 2006 (10:56 AM EDT in Florida). The magnitude and location may be revised when additional data and further analysis results are available. This earthquake was felt in parts of Florida, Georgia and Alabama. No reports of damage or casualties have been received at this time.
Felt Reports
Felt in much of Florida and parts of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Tectonic Summary
This earthquake was centered beneath the Gulf of Mexico, well distant from the nearest active plate boundary. Such "midplate" earthquakes are much less common than earthquakes occurring on faults near plate boundaries, and most probably represent the release of long-term tectonic stresses that ultimately originate from forces applied at the plate boundary. It is the largest of more than a dozen shocks that have been instrumentally recorded from the eastern Gulf of Mexico in the past three decades, and it is the most widely felt. The most recent significant earthquake in the region occurred on February 10th, 2006 and had a magnitude of 5.2. We have not associated this earthquake with a specific causative fault.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement