Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » Did the Apostle Peter warn about evolution?

Author Topic: Did the Apostle Peter warn about evolution?
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahar:
quote:
Originally posted by EL3LN3TN:
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo Grequi:
Evolutionists teach this when they say that the processes of nature have virtually been the same from the supposed beginning billions of years ago.

I've never been aware that evolutionists held this view. [Confused]

I thought that science does hold this to be the case. I think in this context 'evolutionists' is actually a catch all term for scientists who believe that the earth is more than 6000 years old(or whatever creationists have calculated it to be).
No, earth age is not the sole criteria for one to be considered an evolutionist. In fact evolutionary biology does'nt even concern itself with cosmological origins (much to the chagrin of militant creationists [Mad] apparently!)

An evolutionist is apparently one who has no problems with, and at least a basic understanding of evolutionary biology, earth sciences, or associated fields & that it's at least somewhat valid.

Altho if you'd like my own personal take - I've always kinda been under the impression that an "evolutionist" is someone who actually works in the evolutionary/paleontology/biology science areas, but I guess it's a little broader.

quote:
Originally posted by ahar:
Geologists, for example, seek to understand current geological processes and then apply these back in time to try to understand the geological evidence that they see (e.g. the Grand Canyon or the McKinley mountain range in central Australia and erosion processes).

That would be correct.I guess back to the original point about "when they say that the processes of nature have virtually been the same from the supposed beginning billions of years ago."...welll..."there's nothing new under the sun"...and yes, the basic physical processes are the same, but conditions have certainly changed & continue to do so.

I guess you could even strike a balance by calling it a "slow motion catastrophism". It all depends on the time frame.
[Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EL3LN3TN:
quote:
Evolutionists teach this when they say that the processes of nature have virtually been the same from the supposed beginning billions of years ago.

I thought that science does hold this to be the case. I think in this context 'evolutionists' is actually a catch all term for scientists who believe that the earth is more than 6000 years old(or whatever creationists have calculated it to be). Geologists, for example, seek to understand current geological processes and then apply these back in time to try to understand the geological evidence that they see (e.g. the Grand Canyon or the McKinley mountain range in central Australia and erosion processes).

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EL3LN3TN
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB] Weekly News
Q: Did the Apostle Peter warn about evolution?

A: Most of us think that evolution was an idea started by Darwin around 150 years ago. So how could Peter have warned us about evolution nearly 2,000 years ago?

Well, first of all, Darwin didn’t come up with the idea of evolution—he just popularized a particular version of it.

In 2 Peter 3, Peter warns us that in the last days, “scoffers” will come, saying that all things continue as they did from the beginning of creation.

KJV2Peter ch3 v.3: Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts 4) and saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.
This is in reference to the Hebrew havlai ha massiach ("pangs for the messiah") and is not addressing cosmological origins or modern evolutionary models, or scientific technique.
btw - Some evolutionary models are traceable back to ancient Greece.
quote:

...the rest of this seems oriented toward the Creationist-leaning pamphlet controversy, offered at the Grand Canyon visitor's center several years ago, which played out. No comment.
quote:
Evolutionist quote of the week

In order to be convinced of this important result, it is above all things necessary to study and compare the mental life of wild savages and of children. At the lowest stage of human mental development are the Australians, some tribes of the Polynesians, and the Bushmen, Hottentots, and some of the Negro tribes.

In many of these languages there are numerals only for one, two, and three: no Australian language counts beyond four. Very many wild tribes can count no further than ten or twenty, whereas some very clever dogs have been made to count up to forty and even beyond sixty.

Kind of interesting, but on another thread in this forum, I was given some further information concerning "Biblical" definitions of the word "Heathen" that seem quite similar in tone, altho maybe not as specific....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weekly News
Q: Did the Apostle Peter warn about evolution?

A: Most of us think that evolution was an idea started by Darwin around 150 years ago. So how could Peter have warned us about evolution nearly 2,000 years ago?

Well, first of all, Darwin didn’t come up with the idea of evolution—he just popularized a particular version of it.

In 2 Peter 3, Peter warns us that in the last days, “scoffers” will come, saying that all things continue as they did from the beginning of creation. Evolutionists teach this when they say that the processes of nature have virtually been the same from the supposed beginning billions of years ago.

An excellent example to illustrate this can be found when you visit the Grand Canyon. The park rangers will tell you that the layers of rock in the Canyon are the result of slow processes that have been going on for millions of years.

But the evidence from the rock layers fits with what the Bible tells us concerning the judgment of the Flood. It is obvious these layers were laid down catastrophically, not slowly. But evolutionists deliberately choose to ignore the obvious—why? They have been blinded by the god of this world and don’t want to submit to the God of the Bible!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For information on how you can raft the Grand Canyon with an AiG speaker and Tom Vail, author of Grand Canyon: A Different View, see Grand Canyon 2007.

Evolutionist quote of the week

In order to be convinced of this important result, it is above all things necessary to study and compare the mental life of wild savages and of children. At the lowest stage of human mental development are the Australians, some tribes of the Polynesians, and the Bushmen, Hottentots, and some of the Negro tribes.

In many of these languages there are numerals only for one, two, and three: no Australian language counts beyond four. Very many wild tribes can count no further than ten or twenty, whereas some very clever dogs have been made to count up to forty and even beyond sixty.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/AfterEden

– Ernst Haeckel, “The History of Creation”, pp. 362, 363

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement