Christian Chat Network

This version of the message boards has closed.
Please click below to go to the new Christian BBS website.

New Message Boards - Click Here

You can still search for the old message here.

Christian Message Boards

| | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Christian Message Boards   » Bible Studies   » End Time Events In The News   » History of the Roman Empire

Author Topic: History of the Roman Empire
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL [clap2] [clap2] [wiggle7] Even a good post gave me humor.

Interesting to note that a brit in Hebrew is the actual circumsion. the word "Ish or Ishe" means people of, so humorously speaking a British are people of circumcision.

HEY THAT GIVES ME FOOOD FOR THOUGHT, THIS OLD MAN, CAN REALLY PONDER THAT INFORMATION AND STUDY FURTHER-

THANKS!

Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by studious:
Gibbons' volumnes on the Roman Empire are interesting.
It is pertinent since the prince that shall come in Daniel 9:26 in the End Times of the 70th week is of the people that destroyed the Temple in 70 A.D. And those folks were Roman. And the boundaries of Rome extended to Hadrians Wall in the present day UK. So that brings us to another interesting speculation in a book titled The Antichrist and a cup of tea. Especially since we seem to have a political and a religious leader acting in unison to bring about the EU, or whatever form the final Abomination takes in the near future.

SO the anti-christ isn't going to be Scottish or Irish then [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WKUHilltopper:
Interesting observation about the Roman Colliseum, WhiteEagle.

The History Channel gave the information. It certainly gave new insight on the Colliseum.
Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WKUHilltopper
Advanced Member
Member # 5472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WKUHilltopper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting observation about the Roman Colliseum, WhiteEagle.
Posts: 259 | From: KY | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
studious
Community Member
Member # 5867

Icon 14 posted      Profile for studious   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Europeans learned how to cleanse themselves again on the Crusades.
One good thing about the Islamic hordes at the time.
They loved bathing with pleasant perfumed lotions and soaps.

Along come a bunch of near reptilian savages, off on a crazy Cross ades, wearing leather and metal armor and thinking their vital energies would disappear if they washed their bodies.

The Arabs had better sense and said "Pee u! Take a bath quick, you silly oafs."

You know how it was. When the black death came along, Europe was convinced fresh air was bad for the person, and so they shut themselves up in dank and dark rooms with no light or air currents, poured offal and garbage in the streets, and the animals and vermin and fleas and gnats and so on ran wild.
It was during the reign of Queen Victoria that Prince Albert finally began to get good sewers and sanitation practices, and the study of him is a worthy topic. He is one of the great unacknowledged genius' of the past, and gets ridiculed for his Christianity. In my opinion, one great man bit the dust when he died.

Sorry if this wanders off topic. I was fortunate to get to read one of those huge books like they printed in the 19th century, five volumnes in one, and a rare print sent to my library from the Continent, an offical biography of Prince Albert of Saxe/Coburg. It stuck in my mind. I remember that his private papers were often wailing about the fact that nothing worked right.
Like, one department was in charge of washing the inside of windows, and another was in charge of washing the outside of windows, and it was never done together, so the windows were always dirty on one side or the other, and he could get absolutely nothing done about it. And people would look in the windows while they sat in the dining room trying to eat.
People always forget that such a fish bowl is not really pleasant but kind of awkward for the fish.
Growing up, the children would have pins in the rear of their necks so they would get a tiny prick if they moved their head the wrong way. And school by the hour. Languages and art studies and stuff usually boring to most folks...

Posts: 15 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
studious
Community Member
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for studious   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gibbons' volumnes on the Roman Empire are interesting.
It is pertinent since the prince that shall come in Daniel 9:26 in the End Times of the 70th week is of the people that destroyed the Temple in 70 A.D. And those folks were Roman. And the boundaries of Rome extended to Hadrians Wall in the present day UK. So that brings us to another interesting speculation in a book titled The Antichrist and a cup of tea. Especially since we seem to have a political and a religious leader acting in unison to bring about the EU, or whatever form the final Abomination takes in the near future.
History is a subject I enjoy and my second Bachelors is in it as of 05. Fascinating study that suppliments bible studies very well.

Posts: 15 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteEagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahar:

I certainly don't have any problems with indoor plumbing and regular bathing, but I do believe the Hebrew people were the first ones to practice regular bathing due to the Mosaic laws. [Cool]

The spirit of Rome certainly is very much present in our day and age.

Posts: 1392 | From: Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ahar
Advanced Member
Member # 5810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ahar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteEagle:

America/USA is modeled after the Roman Empire in our governmental structure. Many of our historic buildings in Washington DC are modeled after the Roman architecture. Even the Eagle is a Roman symbol.

Why did the Founders of the Constitution decide to do this? They were all well educated men of their times and must have been aware of the history of Rome.

Rome is not just a location on the map, but an idealism and a way of life.

I wold say that it is the other way around from what Eduardo said - Rome colonised most of Europe and left behind the same power structures that had been there under occupation. Just because the Romans did something (and half the time they stole the ideas from the Greeks), does not mean it is inherently bad - after all, they invented plumbing, indoor toilets and regular bathing!

--------------------
Cheers

Andy

Posts: 290 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eduardo Grequi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the must interesting thing about the Roman Empire that the nations that followed it, were the ones that colonized it; The French; The British; the Spaniards; the Portuguese and the Flemish. These countries would had developed their lives and legal system after Rome, because to a certain point Rome lives on in the people; plus Romanians, and Eastern Block countries as well as Turkey.
Posts: 771 | From: Belvidere, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

I just want to correct my previous information.

It was Vespasian who was Emperor during the time of the sacking of Jerusalem and it was his son Titus that destroyed the Temple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colosseum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Jewish_Revolt

Sorry for getting the names wrong. [Confused]

Yes, it's certainly quite enlightening to read more in depth as to what occurred to the Jews after Jesus' Resurrection and how Christianity got ingrained into the Roman Empire.

One article stated that one of the early Popes used some of the marble from the Coliseum to build St Peter's Basilica in Rome!

America/USA is modeled after the Roman Empire in our governmental structure. Many of our historic buildings in Washington DC are modeled after the Roman architecture. Even the Eagle is a Roman symbol.

Why did the Founders of the Constitution decide to do this? They were all well educated men of their times and must have been aware of the history of Rome.

Rome is not just a location on the map, but an idealism and a way of life.

SoftTouch
Advanced Member
Member # 2316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoftTouch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it changed shape from the Roman Empire to the holy (cough, cough) Roman Empire.

I watched something the other night that I found almost as enlightening... I can't remember the name of the program, but I think it was on TLC. They were talking about the Apocalypse and John the Revelator. Interestingly enough, the name of the 'Cesar' who was head of Rome at that time (and I can't remember that name now! It began with an "N" but it wasn't Nero) - anywho, his name/title added up to exactly 666 and I think that was a Clue for future generations. We know that the title of the Pope (Vicar of Christ) Also adds up to 666 (in both Hebrew and Greek, just like that Cesar's did). I don't think this is a coincidence, especially knowing where Many of the traditions and imagery of the RCC come from (Babylon/Paganism). I don't know if that could mean that a Pope will be the AC, but I do think it points directly to Rome as where the AC will come from. Or perhaps it means that ROME IS the Beast?

Now, having said this, let me be clear to say that I don't believe All Catholics are doomed to hell... I believe as Linda does, that the LORD will call HIS Own out of the RCC. I believe that it is Important to try and show Catholic people how far off from the Bible the Vatican is and preach the True Gospel to them. Of course, trying to do this often get's one labled as a "Catholic Basher" [Frown]

--------------------
Psalm 119:104Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way. 105Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

Posts: 3465 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
helpforhomeschoolers
Advanced Member
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted      Profile for helpforhomeschoolers   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow what a powerful visual that is White Eagle!

I think it is so important for us to understand that Rome according to the scripture would be in place until Christ came... it changed form, but it did not cease to exist...

31 ¶ Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible.
32 This image’s head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass,
33 His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay.
34 Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces.
35 Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth.
36 This is the dream; and we will tell the interpretation thereof before the king.
37 Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory.
38 And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all. Thou art this head of gold.
39 And after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee, and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth.
40 And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise.
41 And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters’ clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay.
42 And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken.
43 And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.
44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
45 Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.

Posts: 4684 | From: Southern Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo Grequi
Advanced Member
Member # 3984

I saw that too! There has been some great peices of information on the history channel!
wparr
Advanced Member
Member # 891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wparr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it any wonder that that's where the rcc was born and established it's kingdom.
Posts: 1203 | From: Eagle Nest, NM | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteEagle
Advanced Member
Member # 3728

Hi all, lately I've been watching the History channel as it's had several interesting programs about The early Roman Empire especially around the times of Christ and the 100 years after Christ.

It's focus was on the architecture on that time period as each Roman Emperor wished to erect buildings that would surpass their predecessor and have his name be renowned.

Of interest to me, was Nero. He was emperor around the time of the apostle Paul. I don't have the exact dates at hand. Nero had torn down a huge section in the middle of the city of Rome which had been the commercial/shopping section and took this area away from the people of Rome to build himself a new palace. He taxed the people severely to get money for this, and he also had a man-made lake put in. Nero soon was sought after to be put to death by the Senate, and he ended up committing suicide. He also is credited for burning Rome and blaming followers of Christ.

After Nero, a Roman General became the next Emperor. I think it was Tiberus (spelling). He was the Emperor who sacked Jerusalem and took all the Gold from the Temple. This is the Temple that Jesus had spoken of to his disciples in Matthew 24. That not one stone would remain. In 70 AD the Romans tore apart all to gain the gold.

What I never knew, that really shocked me, is what Tiberus DID with the Gold from the Jewish Temple.

He brought the gold back to Rome and used it to decorate the Colliseum which he was building for the People of Rome for their entertainment.

The bloody reign of death that Roman Colliseum is well-known for, didn't start until after the destruction of the Temple. And the Coliseum sits on the exact site which had previously been the palace of Nero.

I just thought that was all too connected and somehow interesting. It's sort of like Satan decided to build his own place of human sacrifice and use the gold dedicated to the LOrd God from the Temple to decorate the arena.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Christian Message Board | Privacy Statement